PDA

View Full Version : RIP Donna Summer

KJ3N
05-17-2012, 11:50 AM
http://todayentertainment.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/17/11745326-donna-summer-dead-at-63?lite

W1GUH
05-17-2012, 11:55 AM
63....cancer. Here's another article.
(http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-the-presses/disco-queen-donna-summer-reported-dead-age-63-162434888.html)

However, a report by TMZ, which initially broke the story, notes that those close to the singer--known for mega-hits including "Last Dance" and "Bad Girls"--revealed she had been trying to hide how sick she was. The exact nature of her illness has not yet been identified. A source said that Summer did not seem to be in that bad of shape two weeks ago.

OK...looks good one day...two weeks later she's gone.

Yikes!!!!!!! HHHHEEEELLLLPPPP!!!

KG4CGC
05-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Wow, that goes back a long way.

NQ6U
05-17-2012, 11:57 AM

Not unlike a sorely missed SK Islander...

N8YX
05-17-2012, 11:58 AM
With the exception of 'MacArthur Park', I liked a lot of her material. RIP. :(

W1GUH
05-17-2012, 12:00 PM
Yea, I loved lots of it. Love to Love You, of course, what an anthem for '75. Then Prelude to Love - the whole album....etc.

ab1ga
05-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Yikes!!!!!!! HHHHEEEELLLLPPPP!!!

Get ugly... now. :)

NQ6U
05-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Get ugly... now. :)

Hell, if ugly is all it takes, I'm gonna live forever.

W4GPL
05-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Hopefully she's not Hot Stuff in the afterlife..

Too soon? :shifty:

NQ6U
05-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Too soon? :shifty:

It's never too soon for bad taste! ;)

w2amr
05-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Not unlike a sorely missed SK Islander...
True, We all miss Mack.:mrgreen:

ad4mg
05-18-2012, 03:51 AM
Yea, I loved lots of it. Love to Love You, of course, what an anthem for '75. Then Prelude to Love - the whole album....etc.

"Love to love you" (long version) had a snippet of "Tubular Bells" (The Exorcist) mixed in, didn't it?

KB3LAZ
05-18-2012, 11:01 AM
I have no idea who this is but RIP.

NA4BH
05-18-2012, 11:03 AM

She was probably playing on the cassette player when you were made.

KJ3N
05-18-2012, 11:13 AM

Now you're going to make him look up what a cassette player is. :lol:

KB3LAZ
05-18-2012, 11:17 AM

8 track and I was made in the back seat of a 73 camaro. More likely to a hard rock song.

Now you're going to make him look up what a cassette player is. :lol:

Nope, I had a few. I in fact have a record player that takes cassettes, 8 tracks, and has an ipod doc. They thought of everything. xD

W1GUH
05-18-2012, 12:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5AztWseIdU

W1GUH
05-18-2012, 12:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jpG_hSTS2E

Ahhhh...the 70's. Before Aids, Before ronnie, when life was very sexy. And then some.

n2ize
05-18-2012, 12:57 PM

She was very popular around 1976 at the height of the disco era. That was right about the time I graduated from high school. In those days there was plenty of "high" in high school.

kf0rt
05-18-2012, 01:19 PM
"Love to love you" (long version) had a snippet of "Tubular Bells" (The Exorcist) mixed in, didn't it?

The long version was created for those who had more stamina.

True story.

n2ize
05-18-2012, 11:48 PM

Remember when people were demanding that radio stations censor that song ? They argued it was too suggestive and lewd for decent ears.

n2ize
05-18-2012, 11:53 PM
Ahhhh...the 70's. Before Aids, Before ronnie, when life was very sexy. And then some.
That was a great time. The sex, the dope, the drugs, the booze. Remember the days of hanging out till 4 o clock in the morning in a parking lot, an alley, or a park. Drinking beer till 5:00 am or getting high or stoned till the sun came up. . Getting high, stoned, drunk, tripping , scribbling graphite and then crashing out and then doing the same thing again the next day. I would say I would like to relive those days but, I'm not through yet.

ad4mg
05-19-2012, 04:36 AM
Remember when people were demanding that radio stations censor that song ? They argued it was too suggestive and lewd for decent ears.

Absolutely! It was seldom heard on the air here, but that only made it more popular!

suddenseer
05-19-2012, 04:44 AM
That was a great time. The sex, the dope, the drugs, the booze. Remember the days of hanging out till 4 o clock in the morning in a parking lot, an alley, or a park. Drinking beer till 5:00 am or getting high or stoned till the sun came up. . Getting high, stoned, drunk, tripping , scribbling graphite and then crashing out and then doing the same thing again the next day. I would say I would like to relive those days but, I'm not through yet.Hell, I do all that stuff now, and i have a faint memory of the 70's. The weed today is much stronger. I smoked that Columbian gold, but the herb today is 100x better. 3 tokes, I am blissfull.

ad4mg
05-19-2012, 04:44 AM
That was a great time. The sex, the dope, the drugs, the booze. Remember the days of hanging out till 4 o clock in the morning in a parking lot, an alley, or a park. Drinking beer till 5:00 am or getting high or stoned till the sun came up. . Getting high, stoned, drunk, tripping , scribbling graphite and then crashing out and then doing the same thing again the next day. I would say I would like to relive those days but, I'm not through yet.

I was a party animal for quite a while. I can recall stepping out of the after-hours club at the corner of Laurel & Broad in Richmond and seeing the sunrise over the downtown buildings many times. Couldn't carry on that like anymore!

ki4itv
05-19-2012, 08:21 AM
The long version was created for those who had more stamina Nose Candy.

True story.

Corrected for historical truth. ;)

W1GUH
05-19-2012, 09:20 AM
I was a party animal for quite a while. I can recall stepping out of the after-hours club at the corner of Laurel & Broad in Richmond and seeing the sunrise over the downtown buildings many times. Couldn't carry on that like anymore!

Vicki Sue sang a song about that....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8RTeAwnlu8

But....as sweet and benign and fun all this disco bullshit seems from a distance, it sucked big time. It was the start of music censorship that's still happening. It wiped out all the great rock clubs -- it was far cheaper to hire some dork to be a DJ and put the musicians out of work. So there's one venue out the window. It had no real creativity; most of it was "formula written". The regimentation and dress codes were pretty odious. Pretty much the beginning of the end for real creativity and artistry in pop music.

Oh, and disco dancing, especially that line dance crap was set to MARCH TIME!!!!!

Regiment those troops....don't let 'em think for themselves...keep 'em in line. Hut-two-three-four.

And the disco drug was coke, not pot. As such, it was nothing but a cheap thrill.