PDA

View Full Version : 3D on a PS3 is just fine...

W1GUH
05-16-2012, 01:34 PM
And all I needed to do was plug my shiny new 3D monitor into it. So far I've seen 2 Imax 3D Blu-Rays, Legends of Flight and Ultimate Wave Tahiti. The experience is pretty much just like going to an Imax 3D (with the IR glasses), the only difference, of course, is the size of the screen, and that can be compensated for by sitting up close. Both those videos had scenes where things popped right out of the plane of the monitor and were floating around in mid-air between the monitor and me. Already had the firmware upgrade installed.

The technology appears to be ready, and there's a few big houses with good hardware.

Ummmmm....

This is for those curious about 3D. It's not an invitation for some to list all your reasons to shun 3D. Some of you have made it very clear that you hate the whole idea -- it'd be nice if you just let that go this time.

KB3LAZ
05-16-2012, 02:11 PM
And all I needed to do was plug my shiny new 3D monitor into it. So far I've seen 2 Imax 3D Blu-Rays, Legends of Flight and Ultimate Wave Tahiti. The experience is pretty much just like going to an Imax 3D (with the IR glasses), the only difference, of course, is the size of the screen, and that can be compensated for by sitting up close. Both those videos had scenes where things popped right out of the plane of the monitor and were floating around in mid-air between the monitor and me. Already had the firmware upgrade installed.

The technology appears to be ready, and there's a few big houses with good hardware.

Ummmmm....

This is for those curious about 3D. It's not an invitation for some to list all your reasons to shun 3D. Some of you have made it very clear that you hate the whole idea -- it'd be nice if you just let that go this time.

I dont hate it but for some reason watching a 3D TV makes me dizzy. Idk why, but it does. Up until that happens, it is kind of cool.

NQ6U
05-16-2012, 02:45 PM

Eff you! I hate 3D and you're a jerk for even being interested in it! So there!

kf0rt
05-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Does it take a special monitor for that? I always assumed the glasses thing would be handled in the video card.

W1GUH
05-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Eff you! I hate 3D and you're a jerk for even being interested in it! So there!

Oooooo....I love it when you do that! ;)

W1GUH
05-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Does it take a special monitor for that? I always assumed the glasses thing would be handled in the video card.

Yes, it does. For reference I've got the Asus VG278H (http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VG278H/).

The glasses thing is a function of the monitor or TV & AFAIK, they come bundled. The Nvidia version came with this particular monitor.

The (premium, for now) price of the monitor is "kind of" offset because the monitor itself is superb for regular, 2D screen. YMMV.

And, just regular, run of the mill, garden variety of HDMI cables does just fine; there's no need for a new or special cable.

As for the video card, yea, a computer needs one that can do 3D. But this is on the PS3. All that's required there is the latest firmware version.

It seems that the bigger the monitor, the better. The drawback to a small screen is that if the monitor border is in the field of vision it can detract from the 3D effect. The solution is to sit closer.

I'm thinking a 50" monitor would be a LOT better, but....$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can put my face 2-3' from the 27" and that's pretty good, but pretty much makes it a solo experience.

n2ize
05-17-2012, 12:15 AM
I want 3D on my Lisp machine !!