PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of antennas

K7SGJ
05-13-2012, 11:53 AM
I've been pondering a new antenna, and here's the deal. Keep in mind, I am a "casual" operator. If there is a contest, I don't work it for standing or points, just to see how far I can get, and if I can get through a pileup, and just to hand out a few points, just for kicks. I don't collect wall paper. I like SSB, CW, and Digital ops. I have a modest station with older hybrid rigs, and a IC706MK2. Also an IC703+ and an FT 817 for camping/QRP, and an FT 857 in the truck. I have numerous other rigs that I buy/repair/sell for extra $$ and to keep my skills active. I often put them on the air for awhile before selling them to make sure everything is okay and no other problems show up. Currently, my antennas consist of a Hustler 6BTV, an inverted vee for 160 (plus higher bands with a tuner), and the usual VHF/UHF stuff. I may add a new HF radio to the station, and if I do it will most likely be the TS 590S, but that is still in the air. If I do get one, it will probably be the last HF radio I will ever buy.

Although I have 5 acres of land and no HOAs or other restrictions to worry with. I can't see spending the money to put up a huge tower and associated antennas because the kind of operating I do, does not warrant the expense. Besides, to dig for a base support requires blasting, and the permits and shit are ridiculous. Besides, it makes sense to me, to match a modest station to a modest antenna system, and to make both as efficient as possible. My primary on air activity and interests are rag chewing and skeds with a few people that I worked with that have moved to other states. Believe it or not, ham radio is just a hobby for me, and I only operate a few hours a week, if that. My wife will be retiring with me soon, and any station changes need to be made prior to that event. She, by the way, is not yet licensed, but is working toward her tech, then general so we can keep in touch without the need of cell phones, and for operating while traveling on the road. As I said, the VHF/UHF equipment and antennas are in place and no longer a consideration.

What I've been looking at, is a 20-30 foot crank up mast with a mini beam like the MA5B or HF5B. Winds are usually present, but damaging winds are seasonal, and I can crank it down if needed. This would fit well in the budget, give me a fairly decent antenna for 10, 12, 15, 17, and 20 with minimal wind loading, and I have a rotator suitable for an antenna of that size. Since I have plenty of room and miles of wire, I'll probably string some new, individual wire antennas for 40, 80, and 160.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the mini beams or small multiband antennas such as these? I'm leaning toward the MA5B, but both seem to have pretty much the same characteristics. Any other thoughts are certainly welcome, too, since I'm still in the thinking/planning mode, and nothing is cast in stone.

Thanks
eddie

WØTKX
05-13-2012, 12:17 PM
A lot of folks are very happy with those. I'm looking into a Hex Beam myself. No tower (yet) but I have 50' masts.

Since you have all that room, phased verticals and/or wire curtains would work great for the lower bands.

NQ6U
05-13-2012, 12:27 PM
You might consider building or buying one of the hexbeam antennas instead. Similar low price but better performance than the MA5B or HF5B mini-beams. Wider bandwidth, too, which may be even more important to you since you like to work both phone and digital modes. With one of the mini-beams, you generally have to tune for either the upper or lower part of a given band.

The hexbeams are kind of ugly, though. They look like you stuck your clothesline up on a really tall pole.

N8YX
05-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Mosley TA-54-XLN-6:

http://www.mosley-electronics.com/pages/series/trapmaster.htm#ta54xl6

Then park a Tennadyne T28

http://www.tennadyne.com/specs&prices.htm

or Create 5130-1N/5130-2N atop it:

http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT16.html

http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT17.html

KMA used to make some excellent logs in various ranges - their 140-500MHz setup on a 12ft boom was ideal for this type of application. Was considering one before they went out of business.

KG4NEL
05-13-2012, 01:46 PM
I've used the MA5B for a few years at Field Day as a backup on 15 meters phone, on one of those 30' telescoping masts.

Haven't had any complaints with it, but if it was for my own setup, I'd rather do a small LP of some kind.