PDA

View Full Version : I finally did it

suddenseer
05-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Late last year, I bought an I-phone. I was impressed with it's simplicity. It does more things that I will ever need. I decided to get a MAC notebook. I am mad at myself for wasting all these years with pc's. I have my microsoft office suite, as well as firefox browser. I really wanted the MAC for music/video editing capability. My friends that I play music with turned me on to the really kewl editing applications, that don't have a pc version. So now I have options. The radio computer has a ham radio bundle of Linux. My school notebook has win XP/SP3. My play for fun notebook is now MAC. I got the docking gadget for the I-phone as well. I am impressed with the HD video as watched on the big screen tv. Most of you guys already have done this I am guessing. I am still in the vacuum tube age when it comes to technology. Forgive my giddiness. :hyper:

KG4CGC
05-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Yep. All the CS3/4/5/+++ are using Macs.

NQ6U
05-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Welcome to the club. I've been using Macs almost exclusively for twenty years now and would never go back to Windows for my day-to-day stuff. The only Windows PC I have here is relegated to the radio shack and solely to run HRD; everything else I do with a computer is done on my MacBook Pro.

W2NAP
05-12-2012, 01:13 AM
I just use linux... Microsoft sucks. mac is over priced.

KB3LAZ
05-12-2012, 04:38 AM
I just use linux... Microsoft sucks. mac is over priced.

I can agree with that. I however can not stray away from windows for my gaming PC. Whats funny is that most games I play require windows to play but are hosted on linux. However, one of the games I host does require windows..well you can use linux but it does not work out so well. Same for playin, I can use linux but the end result is just shit.

suddenseer
05-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Funny you mention Linux, which is similar to unix. It appears that max os is basically unix kernel. I am liking it more, and more. It seems to be designed with a big dummy like me in mind. I saw in another thread here people listing their boot up time. So far, this mac is about 1:10 total boot up time. Call me an appliance operator, but I like it so far.

NQ6U
05-13-2012, 01:42 AM
Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD with a Mach kernel. It is very stable—so stable, in fact, that it essentially put my Mac consulting business under. Once I switched my clients over to OS X, the calls stopped coming in. If I wasn't so damned principled, I would have l had them hang with the "Classic" Mac OS a little longer.

WØTKX
05-13-2012, 10:23 AM
I went further to the "dark side". My work phone is an iPhone 4S, but for my personal cell...

http://assets.gearlive.com/blogimages/nokia-lumia-800-1.jpg

Lumia 900 with the Windows Mobile OS. So far, it's been pretty good.

Two things not there "yet". TeamViewer and EchoLink.

Everything else is pretty damn nice, and the screen is amazing!

KB3LAZ
05-14-2012, 07:07 AM
"You cant offer your poison to me in your kingdom of filth." >:D

N2RJ
05-14-2012, 10:36 AM
I use mac at home and at work. I've not been using OSX that long, about 5 years now only.

My desktop PC for the ham station is a PC though.

OSX is a nice OS to use but Windows 7 is OK for most of what I need. MOst of what hobbles it is cheap hardware. You may say mac is overpriced but you get what you pay for. You can either have a cheap plastic PC or you can have a nice aluminum and glass mac.

I don't like that Apple has shunned some technologies like Blu-ray Disc. I can understand shunning flash. I own several Apple devices - iPod, iPhone, iPad, Macbook. They are not perfect but they are miles ahead of any PC or other device I have owned.

I like RUMLog for ham radio. It is a nicely featured piece of logging software.

K7SGJ
05-14-2012, 08:24 PM
I went further to the "dark side". My work phone is an iPhone 4S, but for my personal cell...

I finally got in on this cell phone thing, too.

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQf3WsgGVunXZvrwxfhE6nUlK1X7PI6S RJxD8JCznPrzv6_8Pc0GQ

KC2UGV
05-14-2012, 08:34 PM
Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD with a Mach kernel. It is very stable—so stable, in fact, that it essentially put my Mac consulting business under. Once I switched my clients over to OS X, the calls stopped coming in. If I wasn't so damned principled, I would have l had them hang with the "Classic" Mac OS a little longer.

That's why the shop I was with started selling Windows servers over Novell. People kept asking about Windows instead of Novell. Finally, we just gave in, and the reaped the rewards.

kf0rt
05-14-2012, 08:36 PM
I have a $29 Tracfone that I bought at Target about 4 years ago. Still works just peachy.

No frills, but it costs less than $100 a YEAR to feed.

suddenseer
05-14-2012, 10:17 PM
I have a $29 Tracfone that I bought at Target about 4 years ago. Still works just peachy.

No frills, but it costs less than $100 a YEAR to feed.Yea, but I can watch pron on my I-phone.

suddenseer
05-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD with a Mach kernel. It is very stable—so stable, in fact, that it essentially put my Mac consulting business under. Once I switched my clients over to OS X, the calls stopped coming in. If I wasn't so damned principled, I would have l had them hang with the "Classic" Mac OS a little longer.I have the 64 bit OS X 6. something Lion system. It is lightening fast. They tell me that the blue ray player is coming soon. I can play it in the mac, and shoot the hd content to my HD TV. I am going to have to spend the next several months figuring out what this baby will do.

K7SGJ
05-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Yea, but I can watch pron on my I-phone.

I had to perform pron to get mine.

suddenseer
05-15-2012, 04:36 PM
I had to perform pron to get mine.I could have recorded your pron as well.

ki4itv
05-15-2012, 06:34 PM

You must be pretty damn fast to have that phone back on the table before the picture snapped.

ki4itv
05-15-2012, 06:36 PM
I had to perform pron to get mine.

That's how I got my newest bass guitar.
...and that would place me just above crack ho. Right?