PDA

View Full Version : Industry Canada to allow use of 5 Mhz

VE7DCW
05-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Well ....it took quite awhile but Industry Canada has acted on a Radio Amateurs of Canada request proposal to allow Canadian Amateur radio operators to use frequencies in the 5 Mhz band on par with U.S. and other administrations
Hopefully if all goes well, Canadian OP's could have operating permission by fall

Industry Canada inormation URL: http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf10381.html#a1

Interestingly,Industry Canada will currently allow operators on this band for the cost of an "experimental" licence ..... :-?

N8YX
05-11-2012, 09:21 PM
How long before the 313 antics make it down to 60M?

VE7DCW
05-11-2012, 09:29 PM
I assume if one particular stupid Canadian operator who hangs out on 313 were to move to one of those 5 Mhz frequencies it would prove to be an equal mess! :yes:

XE1/N5AL
05-12-2012, 01:13 AM
I assume if one particular stupid Canadian operator who hangs out on 313 were to move to one of those 5 Mhz frequencies it would prove to be an equal mess! :yes:
Then, 60 meters would be just like cable T.V. -- you would have the Comedy Channel, the Emcomm Channel, the WinLink Channel, etc. :)

I wonder if we will ever see 70 MHz allocations, like those of our ham brethren across the pond.

N8YX
05-12-2012, 05:19 AM
I wonder if we will ever see 70 MHz allocations, like those of our ham brethren across the pond.
Supposedly, Yaesu made a 70MHz module for the FT-726R. I would love to lay my mitts on one of those, even if for no other reason than possible 6-to-4M transatlantic F-layer work.

ki4itv
05-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Then, 60 meters would be just like cable T.V. -- you would have the Comedy Channel, the Emcomm Channel, the WinLink Channel, etc. :)

:lol:

KG4NEL
05-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Supposedly, Yaesu made a 70MHz module for the FT-726R. I would love to lay my mitts on one of those, even if for no other reason than possible 6-to-4M transatlantic F-layer work.

Supposedly, the FT-847 is usable at lower power on 4m with some filter mods.

N8YX
05-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Supposedly, the FT-847 is usable at lower power on 4m with some filter mods.
I don't need another transceiver - and cannot transmit on 70MHz regardless. But this raises an interesting question: How well does the '847's receiver work in that region of the spectrum?

KG4CGC
05-12-2012, 03:22 PM
I don't need another transceiver - and cannot transmit on 70MHz regardless. But this raises an interesting question: How well does the '847's receiver work in that region of the spectrum?

I don't know but perhaps a simple tuned preamp is the direction one would go in.

N2RJ
05-21-2012, 12:56 PM
How long before the 313 antics make it down to 60M?

Probably never. Can't use a "toob with handles" down there. 100 watts ERP only.

I can't even use a beam or other gain antenna.

N2RJ
05-21-2012, 12:56 PM

When the FCC shuts down TV broadcasting we can ask them to throw us a bone?

I think most hams will be dead by then.

WX7P
05-22-2012, 10:29 AM
When the FCC shuts down TV broadcasting we can ask them to throw us a bone?

I think most hams will be dead by then.

Hasn't that idea been floated? I thought I read that somewhere. THAT would be totally cool.

XE1/N5AL
05-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Hasn't that idea been floated? I thought I read that somewhere. THAT would be totally cool.
K9STH petitioned the FCC almost 2.5 years ago. I don't know the petition's current situation: whether it is still active, or if it was shot down.
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?234707-FCC-Petition-for-4-meter-band

kb2vxa
05-22-2012, 02:01 PM
I don't know where Glen gets his ideas from, Novice Class in 2010? What recent migration of TV to UHF? Then being the 4M band falls within TV channel 4 what happens during a sporadic E event? I doubt his petition is still active, probably sitting in somebody's bottom drawer forgotten after the initial laughter died down.

"Hasn't that idea been floated?"
Yeah, but it didn't last. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioqZTPskJYk

N2RJ
06-01-2012, 01:19 PM
K9STH petitioned the FCC almost 2.5 years ago. I don't know the petition's current situation: whether it is still active, or if it was shot down.
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?234707-FCC-Petition-for-4-meter-band

Hasn't been shot down yet. I predict it will be.

ARRL and other organizations need to back this idea. There are 26 licensed stations on channel 4 in the FCC database. Hams can easily share the channel.

N2RJ
06-01-2012, 01:23 PM
I don't know where Glen gets his ideas from, Novice Class in 2010? What recent migration of TV to UHF? Then being the 4M band falls within TV channel 4 what happens during a sporadic E event? I doubt his petition is still active, probably sitting in somebody's bottom drawer forgotten after the initial laughter died down.

They have to act on it eventually.

You're worried about sporadic E? There are other countries in North America that have privileges on 4M. Even so, there are other TV stations on channel 4 that will interfere with each other. The FCC database lists 26 licensed stations on channel 4, nearly all of them translators and low power stations. There's only one full power station - WHBF in Rock Island, IL.

Interference caused by propagation is just life on the bands.

We share bands with the military, for crying out loud! Broadcasters aren't even going to notice us.