PDA

View Full Version : Need a real Windows guru for this question...

W1GUH
05-11-2012, 06:32 PM
This computer spends a LOT of time doing something when I start windows from a cold shutdown. It doesn't show up in the task manager task list, but the resource monitor says it's going almost full-tilt. Anyone know what it's doing or how I can find out? What type(s) of tasks would window hide from the window like this?

Maybe some auto startup background task? But if it's not in the task manager, how do I find out which one to stop?

It almost seems as if my computer's just masturbating.

KG4NEL
05-11-2012, 07:21 PM
When was the last time you did full reformat of the HD, start from scratch, etc...

WA4TM
05-11-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm sure you already checked but, do you have an anti virus program that might be scanning the hard drive on start up??

KJ3N
05-11-2012, 07:58 PM
When was the last time you did full reformat of the HD, start from scratch, etc...

Something about an elephant gun and a mouse comes to mind. :roll:

KJ3N
05-11-2012, 07:59 PM
This computer spends a LOT of time doing something when I start windows from a cold shutdown. It doesn't show up in the task manager task list, but the resource monitor says it's going almost full-tilt. Anyone know what it's doing or how I can find out? What type(s) of tasks would window hide from the window like this?

Maybe some auto startup background task? But if it's not in the task manager, how do I find out which one to stop?

What OS?

n2ize
05-11-2012, 08:17 PM
I've run into that problem on Windows systems. Usually the result of spyware, malware and all the other related garbage that seems to affect windoze systems at regular intervals. Try the plethora of anti-virus and anti malware stuff. Often that helps. If not, then re-format, re-install.

kf0rt
05-11-2012, 09:34 PM
I'd be interested, too.

Long-time Windows user, and this computer suffers, too. I leave it running 24/7, hasn't been formatted since 7/13/2009. Pushing 3 years, and that's a record here. I figure about 5 minutes for a cold start. No virii (guaranteed) and it runs the AVS antivirus stuff.

I figure it's just a lot of crap software installed over the years. Seems like every pissant software company in the world now installs auto-updaters, SD-card checkers and a whole lot of you-name it. Every one of these sucks bandwidth on start-up (CPU, disk AND Internet). When I reboot, I usually get one or more updates from Adobe (PDF reader), Java, Apple, etc. Gave up on it all a long time ago. I don't even log out any more -- Windows-key + L locks it.

My advice would be to de-install anything you don't use.

KG4NEL
05-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Something about an elephant gun and a mouse comes to mind. :roll:

True, but I'm lazy when it comes to computer stuff. :)

kf0rt
05-11-2012, 10:32 PM
True, but I'm lazy when it comes to computer stuff. :)

I'm lazy too. That's precisely why formatting is an option of last resort. ;)

K7SGJ
05-11-2012, 10:34 PM
I'd be interested, too.

Long-time Windows user, and this computer suffers, too. I leave it running 24/7, hasn't been formatted since 7/13/2009. Pushing 3 years, and that's a record here. I figure about 5 minutes for a cold start. No virii (guaranteed) and it runs the AVS antivirus stuff.

I figure it's just a lot of crap software installed over the years. Seems like every pissant software company in the world now installs auto-updaters, SD-card checkers and a whole lot of you-name it. Every one of these sucks bandwidth on

start-up (CPU, disk AND Internet). When I reboot, I usually get one or more updates from Adobe (PDF reader), Java, Apple, etc. Gave up on it all a long time ago. I don't even log out any more -- Windows-key + L locks it.

I'm no guru of anything, but that's been my experience also. Doing the reformat/reload helps for awhile. I do find on my good lt (at least it was before the new dog got tangled in it and pulled it on the floor and did the dog sled thing with it) that having a ssd on the boot side, cut boot time by 75% or better. It doesn't seem to slow down over time like the mech drive did either.

KG4CGC
05-11-2012, 10:35 PM
FWIW, MS just released a metric asston of updates.

KJ3N
05-11-2012, 11:46 PM
I'd be interested, too.

Five minutes isn't bad, actually. I have 2 computers running the same MB, but different CPUs and OS. Hardware is a little different, too.

The shack computer is running XP 32-bit with 6G of RAM (it only sees 4G) and a dual-core E8500 Intel CPU. Because of the multi-format card reader installed, it takes the BIOS about a full minute before it even gets to touching the SATA HD. Even with that, from power-on to usable desktop is about 3 minutes.

My main computer upstairs runs Windows 7 Ultimate on an E6500 dual-core with 8G of RAM. There's no card reader on this machine, but the boot drive is a PATA HD. It takes about 3.5 minutes from power-on to a usable desktop.

I figure it's just a lot of crap software installed over the years. Seems like every pissant software company in the world now installs auto-updaters, SD-card checkers and a whole lot of you-name it. Every one of these sucks bandwidth on start-up (CPU, disk AND Internet). When I reboot, I usually get one or more updates from Adobe (PDF reader), Java, Apple, etc. Gave up on it all a long time ago. I don't even log out any more -- Windows-key + L locks it.

And therein lies the problem. Too many things running at start-up will always slow machines down. Just another reason I don't buy computers (except laptops) from a store. The tons of pre-loaded crap Dell, HP, etc put on their machines makes them unusable, IMO. I always build my desktops. I have better control over what gets installed and what runs.

You should always do that. I have removed a good bit of the pre-loaded crap from my laptops. I remove POS software like (s)McAfee and NAV, and install AVG. I remove BS software that I'll never use, too.

If you run XP, I'd suggest RegScrub XP (http://download.cnet.com/RegScrubXP/3000-2094_4-10820427.html) and CCleaner (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner). These programs find leftover crap in the registry and clean it out. With CCleaner, you can go into the Tools function and see what is starting up every time you boot the machine and disable them. I tend to disable anything I don't absolutely need. Adobe and Java updaters are usually in there, along with a host of other crap most people don't need to have running. CCleaner also works on Win 7.

Another all around PC care program I've been running lately is Advanced System Care 5 (http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html). Seems to have a lot of cool features. So far, I've got no complaints.

As to Paul's issues, I'd start with a full system scan with Malwarebytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free) and Spybot Search & Destroy (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html), then look at some of the maintenance tools I've listed.

ad4mg
05-12-2012, 07:12 AM

Don't limit your investigation to the running Applications list. Many apps are started as a 'process', and will only show up in the process list (under a separate tab). Anti-virus scans, for example, will show nothing under 'Applications', but instead as a 'Process'. Sort the process list alphabetically by clicking the 'Process Name' header and it may make more sense.

KB3LAZ
05-12-2012, 08:44 AM
I'd be interested, too.

5 minutes? You broke it! (I pretty much have nothing running on startup.) =P I cheat.

WØTKX
05-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Don't limit your investigation to the running Applications list. Many apps are started as a 'process', and will only show up in the process list (under a separate tab). Anti-virus scans, for example, will show nothing under 'Applications', but instead as a 'Process'. Sort the process list alphabetically by clicking the 'Process Name' header and it may make more sense.

This. :agree:

Look up the process names on the web, and decide what to keep.

HUGH
05-17-2012, 04:48 AM
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Start-Up-Download-17097.html

Smallset and fastest startup freeware I've found. Some anti-virus software is sleepily slow, I use Eset, it's not free but causes very little delay.

ab1ga
05-17-2012, 07:18 AM
FWIW, MS just released a metric asston of updates.

I think you hit the nail on the head, Charles.

Windows Automatic Update downloads patches while you're online, and installs them both at shutdown and and startup, depending on whether the patch targets are likely to be in use while operating. Usually you see a line on the screen that says something along the lines of "Updating... don't turn off your computer", but I've seen the message come and go repeatedly rather than stay on the screen and stay there.

And yes, MS just did release a whole bunch of updates, and big ones, and I think at least one of those monsters was reissued a few days later. They're .NET updates and .NET security updates, and depending on the application software installed a machine could have .NET x.x, .NET y.y, and so on, each needing to be patched separately.

The bad news is that this problem keeps getting worse as .NET keeps getting bigger.
The consolation is that this doesn't happen very often, just enough to drive you crazy.
The hope is that somebody will buy a clue and either rework the framework or dump it altogether.

KC2UGV
05-17-2012, 07:42 AM
The hope is that somebody will buy a clue and either rework the framework or dump it altogether.

.NET is done for with Windows 8.

ab1ga
05-17-2012, 08:06 AM

Hallelujah!

n2ize
05-17-2012, 10:33 AM

Is it really ? I haven't heard anything about that.Then again I don't pay much attention to the MS stuff.

KC2UGV
05-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Yeah, last I heard it was causing a bit of an uproar among developers. HTML5 is the name of the game.

WØTKX
05-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Well, duh. And it's about time.

NQ6U
05-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Now, if we could just get Web developers to dump Flash in favor of HTML5 as well.

WØTKX
05-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Yes please.

KB3LAZ
05-17-2012, 01:22 PM
No no no no! I just switched to win7 a year ago. Im not learning something again. Even if it will be easy, I hate change. At least when it comes to technology.

I almost bought into the Mac thing until I saw what they wanted for half a laptop.....Yes, I have always made good money but I am cheap. Also, I beat the piss out of laptops. Thats a lot of money for me to spend ever two years if Im lucky. Again, was looking at an ipad. They are neat but I still cant justify owning one.

n2ize
05-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Now, if we could just get Web developers to dump Flash in favor of HTML5 as well.

Give it time. Its still under development and there are still issues to contend with. In addition to multimedia tags i.e. <video> <audio> etc it is supposed to include the MathML markup as well which is pretty awesome and, from what I've seen very much syntactically akin to their LaTeX counterparts. However, I don;t know if MathML is as rigorous or as robust as LaTeX so it may not entirely replace actual embedded LaTeX markup.

KJ3N
05-17-2012, 02:25 PM
I almost bought into the Mac thing until I saw what they wanted for half a laptop.....Yes, I have always made good money but I am cheap. Also, I beat the piss out of laptops. Thats a lot of money for me to spend ever two years if Im lucky. Again, was looking at an ipad. They are neat but I still cant justify owning one.

I can barely justify my iPad, but between the $300 in Best Buy gift cards I had piled up and the $250 Visa reward card from my bank, it only cost me about $60 out of pocket to get one.

Is it half a laptop? Maybe, but for day to day surfing, email, YouTube, and many other web-based tasks, it's pretty good. At this point, I only fire up the laptop to do some gaming, or play DVDs.

KB3LAZ
05-17-2012, 02:57 PM
I can barely justify my iPad, but between the $300 in Best Buy gift cards I had piled up and the $250 Visa reward card from my bank, it only cost me about $60 out of pocket to get one.

Is it half a laptop? Maybe, but for day to day surfing, email, YouTube, and many other web-based tasks, it's pretty good. At this point, I only fire up the laptop to do some gaming, or play DVDs.

Yes, but that is what I use my laptop for most of the time, gaming. I just post on here when Im tabbed out of the game. The price that really got me was their actual laptops and netbooks. I almost cried.

N2RJ
05-18-2012, 09:46 PM

.NET is not "done for" with Windows 8. If anything, .NET will be enhanced and on an equal footing in Win8.

".NET going away" is blogger hype...

XE1/N5AL
05-18-2012, 11:11 PM
My laptop hard drive recently died and I didn't notice the quick degradation of it's performance due to the boatload of aforementioned Microsoft updates. My computer started taking a long time to boot up and I should have noticed that this wasn't entirely due the Windows 7 updates being installed. The BIOS hard drive boot was taking too much time, also.

So, I'm here in Mexico, with a broken laptop, and my recovery disks are located in Atlanta. For the first few days, I used my wife's Windows 7 Spanish language laptop, but I really hate the thing because the Spanish keyboard layout is different than the English layout. Of course, there's the added "ñ" key, but most of the punctuation keys are in different places. For instance the "@" key is done with ALT+Q, instead of the familiar SHIFT+2.

Bleeding edge components, which are easily purchased in the U.S., are difficult to find here in Mexico. I did manage to find a new Seagate 500G, 2.5" internal hard drive in a store, for $130 USD. I was going to buy it until I noticed the store was having a big clearance sale on new Segate 500G external USB drives, for $100. So, I saved $30 by buying the external drive and taking its plastic box apart to extract the hard disk contained inside -- it was the same hard drive model as the one they were selling for $130. Now, my laptop had a new hard drive.

For an operating system, I couldn't see paying for another copy of Windows 7 Professional, when I can always get my recovery disks on my next Atlanta trip. Besides, what they sell in the stores here is the Spanish language Windows. Having menus and messages in Spanish isn't the problem: I know that trying to run it with an English keyboard is only going to be a source of continual annoyance. You can select keyboard language options, but it never seems to work 100% as you would expect.

So, I opted to download Ubuntu Linux. I haven't used Linux in a couple of years, but everything is coming back quickly. With a few exceptions, Linux will do everything I need for now. Finally, I'm back with my own familiar laptop, with everything in English!

KC2UGV
05-19-2012, 09:40 PM
.NET is not "done for" with Windows 8. If anything, .NET will be enhanced and on an equal footing in Win8.

".NET going away" is blogger hype...

.NET is going the way of the dodo, in favor of HTML5 for apps. .NET CLR will still be there, but will begin the deprecation process. Many developers are a little miffed about having to learn a new development model after only a few years.

Talk to Windows devs... They'll tell you the same thing.

Or, look at MS's own slide:
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Technology/Pix/pictures/2012/2/17/1329484168499/460-winnt.png

MS is pushing Metro, not old-school style devs. Metro relies on HTML5.

N2RJ
05-19-2012, 11:21 PM
.NET is going the way of the dodo, in favor of HTML5 for apps. .NET CLR will still be there, but will begin the deprecation process. Many developers are a little miffed about having to learn a new development model after only a few years.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Technology/Pix/pictures/2012/2/17/1329484168499/460-winnt.png

Yes, and that's a far cry from .NET being "done for" in Windows 8.

KB3LAZ
05-20-2012, 04:40 AM
My laptop hard drive recently died and I didn't notice the quick degradation of it's performance due to the boatload of aforementioned Microsoft updates. My computer started taking a long time to boot up and I should have noticed that this wasn't entirely due the Windows 7 updates being installed. The BIOS hard drive boot was taking too much time, also.

So, I'm here in Mexico, with a broken laptop, and my recovery disks are located in Atlanta. For the first few days, I used my wife's Windows 7 Spanish language laptop, but I really hate the thing because the Spanish keyboard layout is different than the English layout. Of course, there's the added "ñ" key, but most of the punctuation keys are in different places. For instance the "@" key is done with ALT+Q, instead of the familiar SHIFT+2.

Bleeding edge components, which are easily purchased in the U.S., are difficult to find here in Mexico. I did manage to find a new Seagate 500G, 2.5" internal hard drive in a store, for $130 USD. I was going to buy it until I noticed the store was having a big clearance sale on new Segate 500G external USB drives, for $100. So, I saved $30 by buying the external drive and taking its plastic box apart to extract the hard disk contained inside -- it was the same hard drive model as the one they were selling for $130. Now, my laptop had a new hard drive.

For an operating system, I couldn't see paying for another copy of Windows 7 Professional, when I can always get my recovery disks on my next Atlanta trip. Besides, what they sell in the stores here is the Spanish language Windows. Having menus and messages in Spanish isn't the problem: I know that trying to run it with an English keyboard is only going to be a source of continual annoyance. You can select keyboard language options, but it never seems to work 100% as you would expect.

So, I opted to download Ubuntu Linux. I haven't used Linux in a couple of years, but everything is coming back quickly. With a few exceptions, Linux will do everything I need for now. Finally, I'm back with my own familiar laptop, with everything in English!

I am using a Spanish keyboard as well. Though, my @ symbol is Alt gr+2. You do get used to a Spanish keyboard though. Or at least I have.

I am using a Spanish keyboard with an English install, no issues.

n2ize
05-24-2012, 05:51 PM

Well, one good thing. If .NET goes away it will have come and gone without myself having even the remotest inkling of what it is or was.

n2ize
05-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Yes, and that's a far cry from .NET being "done for" in Windows 8.

Let's just say it looks like its been "relegated".

kf0rt
05-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Let's just say it looks like its been "relegated".

The dustbin of legacy?

(I never learned it, either.)

K7SGJ
05-24-2012, 07:48 PM

Looks a little like the floor plan for a pump plant I used to work in.

NQ6U
05-24-2012, 07:51 PM

If it was at a sewage treatment facility, that would be especially appropriate.

kf0rt
05-24-2012, 08:20 PM

I was waiting for that remark.

You wouldn't be wrong.