PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use w3chools ?

n2ize
05-11-2012, 03:24 PM
I find them very useful. I don;t do web development regularly so I tend to forget some of the technicalities, i.e. form submission, PHP functions and database access. I find this site has some great no-nonsense tutorials that not only serve as refresher courses for things I am rusty in but can also bring me up to speed fast on stuff I haven't learned yet. This helps get things done faster so I can spend more time on things I am really intersted in. Of course web programming (and programming in general) can be enjoyable as well.

http://www.w3schools.com

kf0rt
05-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Same here. They're usually in the top results when searching anything HTML. Who needs books?

n2ize
05-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Books are sometimes good if you want to get a very comprehensive background in the subject at hand, such as PHP. But for me most of the time an online reference source is fine because I just want learn or re-learn enough to get the job done and besides I already have a comprehensive understanding of how the language or markup works. So the reference is a quick and painless way to get things up and running.

KC2UGV
05-11-2012, 05:59 PM
I use it as a quick reference site, and for their sandbox areas.

KG4CGC
05-11-2012, 10:57 PM
"Books are sometimes good if you want to" read while sitting on the shitter.

ki4itv
05-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Is that a floater? Or did you drop the Kindle in the commode?

KG4CGC
05-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Is that a floater? Or did you drop the Kindle in the commode?

I was startled. The laptop was getting hot sitting on my lap while I was sneaking a shit on the Pope's Royal Shiiter.

n2ize
05-13-2012, 12:13 PM
I use it as a quick reference site, and for their sandbox areas.

I find that if I don;t use a particular idea, method, programming language, etc for a while I tend to forget some of the details. I retain the general notion but the specifics will elude me until I hit on a good reference and refresh my memory. This is why good reference sites are helpful. In the case of PHP I am learning to use it for the first time. However, it is close enough to a lot of other common languages that a reference source seems adequate