PDA

View Full Version : Hardware or software issue?

KB3LAZ
05-11-2012, 09:39 AM
My touch pad is going insane. The cursor jumps, stops working, opens and closes windows, etc. Now, when I use an external mouse this does not happen as much. But a simple and over the the touch pad moves my cursor and I start typing somewhere else. However, if I disable the touch pad and then use an external mouse the issue stops.

Yes, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drives, and more than once to no avail. I have tried MS drivers, acer drivers, generic drivers, etc. Again, nothing. I once had this issue on another PC, the problem turned out to be the multi-gesture. The issue that I am having is that I do not have the option to disable that function on this pc, at least via control panel. Should I do so in the registry? Or do you think the issue is hardware related?

I can provide you with any further information that you require if it is helpful. I have been searching the net for days to fix this issue but no luck.

Not that I think it makes a difference other than for drivers but I have win7 Ult 64bit.

WØTKX
05-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Hardware is flaking out. It happens. Get a cheap mouse for the time being.

This is why I like laptops that also include the "eraser head pointer" in the keyboard, ala the IBM (Lenovo) ThinkPad.

Clean the touchpad surface, use a Q-Tip or something to dig into the corners. Some touchpads are in a frame, some have a slit on the edges, see if you can clean that. Many times, you have to open the laptop case and take apart the "layers" of the touchpad and clean it very well. It's a PITA.

Sometimes they actually "go bad" but I've fixed a lot of them that way.
Finger oils, grease, and dust will mess 'em up after a while.

In your case, it's probably from all the tapas. :neener:

KC2UGV
05-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Your wrist is hovering too close to the touch pad, is my guess. My Dell machine does that too, when I am typing.

KB3LAZ
05-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Hardware is flaking out. It happens. Get a cheap mouse for the time being.

This is why I like laptops that also include the "eraser head pointer" in the keyboard, ala the IBM (Lenovo) ThinkPad.

Clean the touchpad surface, use a Q-Tip or something to dig into the corners. Some touchpads are in a frame, some have a slit on the edges, see if you can clean that. Many times, you have to open the laptop case and take apart the "layers" of the touchpad and clean it very well. It's a PITA.

Sometimes they actually "go bad" but I've fixed a lot of them that way.
Finger oils, grease, and dust will mess 'em up after a while.

In your case, it's probably from all the tapas. :neener:

Lol. I will see what I can do. The PC really isnt that old. About a year.

KB3LAZ
05-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Your wrist is hovering too close to the touch pad, is my guess. My Dell machine does that too, when I am typing.

Yes but, if I put my finger on the touch pad the cursor just goes wild. It is all over the screen. It only does this sometimes.

KC2UGV
05-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Yes but, if I put my finger on the touch pad the cursor just goes wild. It is all over the screen. It only does this sometimes.

Oh, never mind. I thought it was the issue I had where if I was typing, the meat at the base of my thumb would hover too close to the touchpad, and cause the cursor to "tap", thereby getting me to type in places I wasn't intending to.

This sounds like a different issue. Did you turn the sensitivity down (Or up) and see if that helps?

KB3LAZ
05-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Oh, never mind. I thought it was the issue I had where if I was typing, the meat at the base of my thumb would hover too close to the touchpad, and cause the cursor to "tap", thereby getting me to type in places I wasn't intending to.

This sounds like a different issue. Did you turn the sensitivity down (Or up) and see if that helps?

Yeah I have that issue too. Yes, I tried, nothing seems to work. Well, aside from turning the touch pad off and using a mouse.

PA5COR
05-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Looks like it's failing hardware.
Remember all stuff bought in the EC has a mandatory 2 year warranty, i don't suppose the device was bought in the EU?
Touchpads can be changed for new one, at least in my acer 7720G laptop.

KB3LAZ
05-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Looks like it's failing hardware.
Remember all stuff bought in the EC has a mandatory 2 year warranty, i don't suppose the device was bought in the EU?
Touchpads can be changed for new one, at least in my acer 7720G laptop.

No, it was bought in the US...And I normally void any warranty the day I get a new pc, lol. TBH if the thouch pad is failing its not really a big deal. External mouse will be just fine. Was just curious if I could fix it. Again, I have had this issue in the past and by turning off the multi-gesture it was fixed. Again, the issue is that for some reason I can not do that on this pc. I will have to try to do so by means other than the control panel and see what happens.

N2RJ
05-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Try cleaning the surface of it first.

KB3LAZ
05-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Try cleaning the surface of it first.

Already done. No change.