PDA

View Full Version : the great filter

wm3o
05-09-2012, 09:43 PM
all those bemoaning the loss of Element 1 and CW being the great filter, i simply submit the past two weeks worth of DX activity. jamming, tuning, and tirades on the DX's CW xmit freq. CW, the great filter my ass.

W5GA
05-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Whatever gave you the idea that cw was a great filter?

ki4itv
05-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Well there professor. You used to actually have to know cw to use it.
That came along with the etiquette of using it.

Now, any fool can fire up his computer and desperately fail at trying to act like a FB OM.
See the difference?

PA5COR
05-10-2012, 02:47 AM
In 1977 when i was licensed and before that time listening to Hamrario i also noticed the same, maybe less as now, but there were less hams as well.

In the early days we had a mentor that teached us the practical motions, something that might be missing now.
I have about 26 people brought in ham radio elmering them including practice working the bands, building stuff etc.
Maybe i'm old fashioned?

WØTKX
05-10-2012, 06:13 AM
I certainly remember a lot of nonsense on CW when I was active in the early 70's.

Killer Hamsta's again, still, always. :roll:

wm3o
05-10-2012, 06:29 AM
Well there professor. You used to actually have to know cw to use it.
That came along with the etiquette of using it.

um, no one didn't and no it didn't. everyone always thinks it was better back when, but it wasn't. there is plenty of proof on the internet of CW audio from the 60's, 70's, and 80's that counter your statements.

wm3o
05-10-2012, 06:30 AM
Whatever gave you the idea that cw was a great filter?

the numerous letters in QST, the constant moaning in threads on QRZ, the NO-CODE Extra moniker, and post #3 in this thread.

N8YX
05-10-2012, 06:44 AM
I have a lot of great (and some not so great) CW filters in my various rigs. :yes:

And this latest incident is Obama's fault. Happened on his watch, so he owns it.

ki4itv
05-10-2012, 06:45 AM
I certainly remember a lot of nonsense on CW when I was active in the early 70's.

Killer Hamsta's again, still, always. :roll:

Well things have changed with the advent of armchair DX cluster-fnckers.
Sometimes they don't even give the 'UP LID' guy enough space to do his thing.
All this damn new technology is ruining my tech savvy hobby I tell ya'. ;)

wm3o
05-10-2012, 06:58 AM
All this damn new technology is ruining my tech savvy hobby I tell ya'. ;)

ya know that technology includes vanity callsigns that would be so much better on CW than your truckload of dits. :-D

ki4itv
05-10-2012, 07:16 AM
um, no one didn't and no it didn't. everyone always thinks it was better back when, but it wasn't. there is plenty of proof on the internet of CW audio from the 60's, 70's, and 80's that counter your statements.

One of the great gifts of growing older is buffing out the rough spots with revisionist history. You wouldn't deny me that, now would you?
But, element one was a filter. It required an investment in what you were trying to get out of the hobby.

Back then, we wound up with tenacious assholes who had the metal to stand up and work for the privilege. But far fewer of them.
Now just any old asshole slacker, who can pass a quick exam, can be an underachieving international asshole superstar with little effort.
It is my opinion that the quality and creativeness of Amateur Radio's asshole's has suffered immensely, while the volume of assholeness has generally risen markedly.
:lol:

ki4itv
05-10-2012, 07:19 AM
ya know that technology includes vanity callsigns that would be so much better on CW than your truckload of dits. :-D

Ya, not the best, but it ends in the very dramatic
ditditditdaaaah.
I like that part. :-D

WØTKX
05-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Your period has a swing. :neener:

N7YA
05-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Looking back at old QST's from the 20's and 30's, you can read the letters to the editor about how various modes are ruining the hobby, how newbies will be the death of ham radio, etc, etc...its still here. Lids were a problem on all modes since the beginning, an ops real skill is not his ability to lose his temper, but his ability to calmly navigate through the horseshit and log the contact.

And for what its worth, CW will always be a kinder, more organized place than the fone bands.

wa6mhz
05-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Think the Rat Bastards are programming "UP LID" into their CW Memories to send! I had to listen to them send long series of dots over the DX last night on 17. When the DX is just a watery buzz in the noise, that completely takes out any chance of hearing him. But I am most annoyed by the true LIDS who insist on constantly answering right on his frequency when he wants to work station up 2 or so! These bastards STEAL CONTACTS from everyone, and I am even MORE annoyed when the DX ANSWERS them, thereby causing even MORE to do it!

N7YA
05-10-2012, 09:19 AM
There are many varieties...the cops, the earless wonders who dont listen to the DX's instructions, the tuners, the "dah machine", the "whats his call?" guys, the slim shadys handing out bogus reports on top of him. And of course, bless their heart, the super slow newbie who happen to land a contact with a rare one in the middle of a massive pileup, then continues on to tell the DX his name, QTH, rig, weather, how long hes been a ham, etc...all at 6 wpm. I always feel bad for the poor guy when i hear that, but always feel a great respect for the DX who hangs in there with him and gives a proper qso. But more often than not, the slow guy gets left in the dust and this is why some folks who dont understand, or dont want to understand DXing get this bad taste in their mouths about it. I get that. But it sure helps to at least try to understand the other facets of ham radio, simply having a callsign doesnt impart a magical know-all ability to the bearer.

KB3LAZ
05-10-2012, 11:05 AM
I have not seen one of these threads in awhile, at least not here. Popcorn?

KJ3N
05-10-2012, 12:11 PM
I have not seen one of these threads in awhile, at least not here. Popcorn?

I'm going to need No-Doze. :sleep:

wm3o
05-10-2012, 01:50 PM
I'm going to need No-Doze. :sleep:

no-code no-doze

K7SGJ
05-10-2012, 01:53 PM
As long as hams have been doing their thing, other hams have been bitching about it. Maybe it's time all the complainers shut the fuck up, and just engage in the part of the hobby that brings them pleasure. For those that find no pleasure in any of it, for what ever reason, or feel that all the other hams are infringing on their ability to ever have fun, sell your God Damn equipment and find another fucking hobby.

Problem solved.

KJ3N
05-10-2012, 01:56 PM
As long as hams have been doing their thing, other hams have been bitching about it. Maybe it's time all the complainers shut the fuck up, and just engage in the part of the hobby that brings them pleasure. For those that find no pleasure in any of it, for what ever reason, or feel that all the other hams are infringing on their ability to ever have fun, sell your God Damn equipment and find another fucking hobby.

Problem solved.

Burt should pay attention to that.

kf0rt
05-10-2012, 02:01 PM

Damn straight.

WØTKX
05-10-2012, 02:10 PM
OK Rob. How much? :stickpoke:

kf0rt
05-10-2012, 02:11 PM
How much what? :dunno:

Oh, I get it now. Ha ha.

Hey man, I made 6 contacts last weekend!

WØTKX
05-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Ah, well. I've been catching up to you. Less than six per month, lately. :lol:

kf0rt
05-10-2012, 02:19 PM
My burst of activity last weekend has me up to an average of about 2 a year. Was surprised to see the antenna at nearly 1:1.

N8YX
05-10-2012, 02:42 PM
I got nothing to say but I do a lot of listening. :whistle:

KB3LAZ
05-10-2012, 03:11 PM

Problem solved.

Too bad we cant do the same with politics. Err..something like that. xD

kf0rt
05-10-2012, 05:21 PM
I got nothing to say but I do a lot of listening. :whistle:

I'm trying to turn the rig on a little more often.

Didja know that the clock in an IC-7000 only drifts about 90 seconds in two years? :lol:

K7SGJ
05-10-2012, 05:33 PM
I'm trying to turn the rig on a little more often.

Didja know that the clock in an IC-7000 only drifts about 90 seconds in two years? :lol:

Some time when our schedules permit (because we are in such demand by so many :bs:) we should give it a go. What's your preference; SSB, CW, Digital, SS?

kf0rt
05-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Some time when our schedules permit (because we are in such demand by so many :bs:) we should give it a go. What's your preference; SSB, CW, Digital, SS?

Prolly SSB these days. I'm weak on CW (way out of practice, but love it) and have switched computers since last doing digital (RTTY was the preferred mode -- yeah, old skool). Got a big project starting here to clean out the cave and wouldn't mid getting into it more. Hope to have a bunch of Drake stuff to sell before the summer's over. Dave (T-K-X-ray) teases me (the bully). We're line-o-sight on 432 SSB and have talked a few times using actual real radios.

Pretty modest station: IC-7000 and a TS-570SG. 6BTV on HF and near-ground yagis on 6M, 2M and 70cm. As always, I suck at anything below 20 meters.

KG4NEL
05-10-2012, 06:11 PM
One of the great gifts of growing older is buffing out the rough spots with revisionist history.

Thank you for honesty, I knew there was a reason I liked this place :D

N7YA
05-11-2012, 03:49 AM
Gentlemen, this is a curmudgeony ham thread, please observe our griping and GET OFF MY LAWN!!

ki4itv
05-11-2012, 05:58 AM
Whoa, there pardner...it's just us boatanchor hambodies drifting a little.
I refuse to accept that ADD can interfere with the smooth flow of traditional ham curmudgeonry.

N7YA
05-11-2012, 06:50 AM
....bah....you kids with your....hula hoops...and french fries and such! Back in my day WE ATE ROCKS!

Lucky to have them, we were. :snooty:

W3WN
05-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Whoa, there pardner...it's just us boatanchor hambodies drifting a little.
I refuse to accept that ADD can interfere with the smooth flow of traditional ham curmudgeonry.So what you're saying is, you're a Swan 350?

VE7DCW
05-12-2012, 12:05 AM
So what you're saying is, you're a Swan 350?

I thought it was a Swan 3 drifty ..... I know, I owned one years ago....... ecchhhh!!! :yuck:

W3WN
05-12-2012, 09:31 AM
I thought it was a Swan 3 drifty ..... I know, I owned one years ago....... ecchhhh!!! :yuck:There's a difference? :evil:

Want one? I have it out in the garage, awaiting a power supply rehab.

WØTKX
05-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Dave (T-K-X-ray) teases me (the bully). We're line-o-sight on 432 SSB and have talked a few times using actual real radios.

Pretty modest station: IC-7000 and a TS-570SG. 6BTV on HF and near-ground yagis on 6M, 2M and 70cm. As always, I suck at anything below 20 meters.

Ready to go hiking? I'm trying to decide on which parks pass (state or national) to get this year.

Maybe haul around some back packing raaaaaayyyydios? I might do the June VHF/UHF contest.

I'll be staying in my Previa Hotel for that. Betts might ride along, she'll go fishing. :yes: