PDA

View Full Version : Flight Gear

n2ize
05-08-2012, 02:46 PM
I finally got Flight Gear to run under Linux on the new computer system. Not bad for a free flight sim. I still haven't added on the world scenery yet. For a free sim I can't complain.

NQ6U
05-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Linux sux! Windows all the way! Bill Gates is a god. He invented computers, you know. Wrote Windows a 3.1 all by himself in his garage, too.

kf0rt
05-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Is MS ever going to come out with an upgrade to FSX? That thing's OLD.

They've got a newer game out called Microsoft Flight that isn't too bad, but it's more game than sim. No GPS, no AP, nav non-functional, really pretty limited (but good graphics).

W1GUH
05-08-2012, 03:04 PM

They've got a newer game out called Microsoft Flight that isn't too bad, but it's more game than sim. No GPS, no AP, nav non-functional, really pretty limited (but good graphics).

There might be some bad news here. Last I read, MS canned most of the FS staff & it doesn't sound like there's much chance for a MS FS XI. And also read, and experienced, "more game than sim." Bummer.

But given the size and strength of the Flight Sim community, I gotta believe that it'll be picked up somehow, by somebody. Maybe Bruce Artwick and Sublogic? Makes me glad that they built in so much headroom into FSX so it's still pretty much "OK". But the updates were always a significant step forward and that'll be missed if this party's over.

BTW....FSX with nvidia 3D Vision has been performing very well. The graphics integrate seamlessly with FSX & so far there haven't been any difficulties at all

kf0rt
05-08-2012, 06:10 PM
There might be some bad news here. Last I read, MS canned most of the FS staff & it doesn't sound like there's much chance for a MS FS XI. And also read, and experienced, "more game than sim." Bummer.

But given the size and strength of the Flight Sim community, I gotta believe that it'll be picked up somehow, by somebody. Maybe Bruce Artwick and Sublogic? Makes me glad that they built in so much headroom into FSX so it's still pretty much "OK". But the updates were always a significant step forward and that'll be missed if this party's over.

BTW....FSX with nvidia 3D Vision has been performing very well. The graphics integrate seamlessly with FSX & so far there haven't been any difficulties at all

FSX is really the only "game" I play. Don't play it much, but it's fun. I've heard that it's used for "real" pilot training -- seems odd that MS would abandon it. Wonder if they're thinking terrorist threats -- maybe it's TOO good?

It plays pretty well here, but not all crashes are in the aircraft. I run it on 32-bit Win 7 on a quad-core dual-monitor system. Fun stuff - be a shame if they dropped it, but I guess the writing is on the wall?

KG4CGC
05-08-2012, 07:13 PM
All I ever do these days is play one of the Google Earth aircraft but I am familiar with old school FS and those 1980s graphics.
Skew mode anyone?

W1GUH
05-08-2012, 07:36 PM
FSX is really the only "game" I play. Don't play it much, but it's fun. I've heard that it's used for "real" pilot training -- seems odd that MS would abandon it. Wonder if they're thinking terrorist threats -- maybe it's TOO good?

It plays pretty well here, but not all crashes are in the aircraft. I run it on 32-bit Win 7 on a quad-core dual-monitor system. Fun stuff - be a shame if they dropped it, but I guess the writing is on the wall?

Have had the same thought about "too good." Will probably never know about that.

I run it on 64 bit Win 4 with an i7 - quad core. Only problem is that some of the program files get corrupted occasionally. Program usually doesn't crash at first; what usually happens is the scenery starts looking kinda funny, like some of it's missing. But this is easy to fix with the DVD's. The repair is pretty quick. But if I let the "funny scenery" go on too long it will eventually crash. I save early and often!

I not only enjoy the flying & seeing the terrain, but I also marvel at the magnitude of effort to populate the whole world with scenery like that. The original standard scenery is darn good and it's a lot better with the add-on scenery I wound up with.

Still my personal benchmark for my machine's performance.

KC2UGV
05-08-2012, 07:48 PM
All I ever do these days is play one of the Google Earth aircraft but I am familiar with old school FS and those 1980s graphics.
Skew mode anyone?

lol, I remember that FSII for the Coco III :)

KG4CGC
05-08-2012, 08:17 PM
lol, I remember that FSII for the Coco III :)

LOL! in 1982, friend of mine came home for Winter break with an IBM portable with a 6'' green screen. FS was nothing but lines and some characters.

W1GUH
05-08-2012, 08:20 PM
LOL! in 1982, friend of mine came home for Winter break with an IBM portable with a 6'' green screen. FS was nothing but lines and some characters.

But dead-on realistic flight characteristics. Had to buy an FAA flight instruction manual to figure out how to fly the Sublogic sim on my Commodore 64!

n2ize
05-09-2012, 05:12 AM
Linux sux! Windows all the way! Bill Gates is a god. He invented computers, you know. Wrote Windows a 3.1 all by himself in his garage, too.

Yeah, what was I thinking. I'm switching to Windows. :) None of this commie Linux and Mac stuff.

n2ize
05-09-2012, 05:21 AM

Guess they are trying to market to a different kind of crowd.

n2ize
05-09-2012, 05:29 AM

I think MS is trying to cater more to the less serious sim-flyer who just wants to get up in the air quick, fly around and crash a few, and then jump on to something else. A lot of people don't have the patience or want to bother learning how to use all the GPS and nav stuff. They just want to load up quick and fly. They really don't care if they make it a realistic flight from NY to LA. They want to buzz the Grand Canyon or do a rolling dive into the side of a mountain.

Now AFAIC that sucks. I prefer the realism. I've been known to keep the computer running for hours and hours while flying a course from NY to LA... IN A DC3 !! Fortunately, even if MS doesn;t come out with a new FSX I am not too worried. There are other excellent sims out there and they'll keep getting better and better.

KC2UGV
05-09-2012, 07:06 AM

It wasn't much better on the Coco 3 :)

But dead-on realistic flight characteristics. Had to buy an FAA flight instruction manual to figure out how to fly the Sublogic sim on my Commodore 64!

Ayep. I learned air navigation by VOR and DME, and the sim even came with navigation charts and what not.

n2ize
05-09-2012, 03:55 PM
MS Flight Sim was great for learning the basics behind instrument flying and navigational flying. At one point I even joined a virtual airline. I rarely flew the included planes. Instead I flew add-on planes, mostly vintage piston propliners and turboprop airliners. In the area of piston driven airliners my favorites were the DC3 , the Martin 404, the Lockheed Constellation, and the DC6. In turboprops I liked the Lockheed Electra and the Fairchild-Hiller FH-227. Some of these were really nice add-on's, with really nice details, lighting, authentic control panels and sounds. When I flew the Constellation and cranked up the volume the rumble would shake the walls, just like the real ones did.

For now I'm having fun with Flight Gear, learning the capabilities,, operation, etc. I am also thinking of try other sims like XPlane. They even have a demo that can be downloaded. Runs on Mac, Winders and Linux. I would also like to find a sim that has a decent helicopter simulation. The helicopter simulation in MS FSX left a lot to be desired. The planes were great though. As long as you stayed below the speed of sound.