PDA

View Full Version : missed dx

kk4fpx
05-05-2012, 04:29 PM
I thought I was going to add Panama to my Central American contacts today,but whan he gave me his call sign it didn't match up to anyone.He was getting ready to get off the air and I caught him at the last minute.He gave HP1ZI6BRN ?I must of got it wrong.

wm3o
05-05-2012, 05:53 PM
i worked hp1/iz6brn recently.... just sayin...

kk4fpx
05-05-2012, 06:28 PM
I missed the slash but it shows a italy call sign without the HP1? You think it bogus? I really wanted to log him in,I only lack 3 countries in Central America.

WØTKX
05-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Erm, no. Methinks Sergio is not bogus.

Go look up IZ6BRN at QRZ.com.

Heck, it's the first "hit" with a Google search on that call...

NQ6U
05-05-2012, 07:12 PM
I missed the slash but it shows a italy call sign without the HP1? You think it bogus? I really wanted to log him in,I only lack 3 countries in Central America.

Check this (http://www.qrz.com/db/IZ6BRN) out.

kk4fpx
05-05-2012, 07:27 PM
Yea! I get it,I didn't look far enough down his page.I went ahead and logged him in.You can tell I'm green.Thanks guys,don't know what I'd do without you.lol

NQ6U
05-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Thanks guys,don't know what I'd do without you.lol

Probably have a lot more free time on your hands.

N7YA
05-06-2012, 04:14 AM
That large globe of hits at the bottom of his page is cool!

W5GA
05-06-2012, 11:31 AM
I thought I was going to add Panama to my Central American contacts today,but whan he gave me his call sign it didn't match up to anyone.He was getting ready to get off the air and I caught him at the last minute.He gave HP1ZI6BRN ?I must of got it wrong.
Hmmm, the ethical conundrum. Did you work him, or did you not...as you didn't copy the call correctly, and had to use outside resources to figure out who you did work. I think that temptation can effect us all, particularly with a station like 7O6T (very rare dx) and others that are similar. My $.02 is to work another one, as HP is anything BUT rare. And the satisfaction of knowing you got it all right is great, especially when you're just starting out. Something only you can decide for yourself, as it will only matter to you.

WØTKX
05-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Eh, he just missed the slash... :dunno:

I remember the first non-local contact as a novice, it was Idaho.
I got so worked up I couldn't get his call right.

W5GA
05-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Eh, he just missed the slash... :dunno:

I remember the first non-local contact as a novice, it was Idaho.
I got so worked up I couldn't get his call right.
For me it was KZ5 (Canal Zone). He had to repeat the call like 8 times.

N7YA
05-07-2012, 01:23 AM
Hmmm, the ethical conundrum. Did you work him, or did you not...as you didn't copy the call correctly, and had to use outside resources to figure out who you did work. I think that temptation can effect us all, particularly with a station like 7O6T (very rare dx) and others that are similar. My $.02 is to work another one, as HP is anything BUT rare. And the satisfaction of knowing you got it all right is great, especially when you're just starting out. Something only you can decide for yourself, as it will only matter to you.

That is absolutely correct! Its also a taste of honorable, old school hamming. Good advice, just get back on the air and look around, it wont be long before another HP comes along. And you may get his card coming to you through the buro anyway if he feels its good on his end. But that is your call. Ive gotten cards for qso's i never had...with GREAT stations, countries i still needed, and it would have flown at the DXCC counter, but i dont work that way, i would only be cheating myself.

Just get back on the air, you wont have to wait too long for another one, just take the time to copy the call correctly and dont be afraid to ask for repeats, the other guy shouldnt mind just to make sure you got it. I still do this if needed, nobodys perfect. As long as you are having fun, thats all that really matters.

NQ6U
05-07-2012, 08:41 AM
you may get his card coming to you through the buro anyway if he feels its good on his end.

Ewwww. Who wants a card after it's passed through a burro...?

W3WN
05-07-2012, 10:48 AM
I thought I was going to add Panama to my Central American contacts today,but whan he gave me his call sign it didn't match up to anyone.He was getting ready to get off the air and I caught him at the last minute.He gave HP1ZI6BRN ?I must of got it wrong.I think you must have worked HP1/IZ6BRN. He's been down there awhile, I've worked him a few times, even had a LotW confirmation on 12 meters.

Most likely the call got muddled up as he was getting ready to shut down.

W3WN
05-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Check this (http://www.qrz.com/db/IZ6BRN) out.Hey! Thanks for the tip!

I didn't realize he was in the old CZ. He's a potential new counter for DDXCC... now I'm going to have to work him again!

W3WN
05-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Did he work him? Yes.

Is it valid for awards purposes, since he (technically) miscopied the call? Considering that we're only talking about the "slash", and that's it's possible that on the QRT/SK signing it wasn't sent correctly... I don't have a problem with this. He DID get the important parts correct (portable prefix & assigned call), so I'd cut him some slack.

kk4fpx
05-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Well he got my call sign I missed the slash but got it later.We exchanged signal reports and I went ahead and logged him in.I hope its valid.I got French Polynesia today,that made my day.

NQ6U
05-08-2012, 10:06 PM
I got French Polynesia today,that made my day.

You better hope Burt doesn't read that, he'll make a YouTube video mocking you over it.