PDA

View Full Version : Seriously? No Adam MCA Yauch thread? Just how old are you people? ;)

W4GPL
05-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Dead at the age of 47. Playing the Beastie Boys catalog in his honor. :cheers:

RIP Sir, you were a major part of my childhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBShN8qT4lk

W4GPL
05-04-2012, 10:31 PM
We can have soda & pie! I hope no bad people show up.

KC2UGV
05-04-2012, 10:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qORYO0atB6g&ob=av2e

Doing a shot, in his honor.

KJ3N
05-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Seriously? No Adam MCA Yauch thread? Just how old are you people? ;)

Well, if this part of your QRZ bio is correct....

I was originally licensed at the age of 13 in 1993

... I'm 20 years your senior. GET OFF MY LAWN!!!! :neener: :lol:

W4GPL
05-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Doing a shot, in his honor.Cheers. I knew you'd be with me on this. :)

W7XF
05-04-2012, 11:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Y0cy-nvAg&feature=relmfu

RIP, MCA xD

NQ6U
05-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Well, if this part of your QRZ bio is correct....

... I'm 20 years your senior. GET OFF MY LAWN!!!! :neener: :lol:

And I'm seven years your senior, so you GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

XE1/N5AL
05-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Anybody WANNA MOW MY LAWN????

W4GPL
05-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Fsck you all and your lawns, buy a condo! ;)

VE7DCW
05-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Anybody WANNA MOW MY LAWN????

I was hoping someone could loan me a working lawnmower ......so I could mow my own damn lawn!! :-P

suddenseer
05-04-2012, 11:47 PM
I heard the Beastie Bois interviewed on NPR several months back. They talked about putting a hold on their last album to let him recover from chemo. If i could 420 tonight , I would do it in his memory.

W4GPL
05-04-2012, 11:54 PM
I heard the Beastie Bois interviewed on NPR several months back. They talked about putting a hold on their last album to let him recover from chemo. If i could 420 tonight , I would do it in his memory.Got it covered. TIL he was a major Pink Floyd fan; I'm mildly obsessed with Pink Floyd, Roger Waters, and David Gimour. So an extra special toast to his legacy.

I last saw the Beastie Boys in concert about 10 years ago, it's sad I won't have that chance to see them again.

suddenseer
05-04-2012, 11:56 PM
Roger Waters is a major influence for me. I try to play my Ricky like he does.

W4GPL
05-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Roger Waters is a major influence for me. I try to play my Ricky like he does.:heart: You see where I'm seeing him Monday night? Front & center, 17 rows back..

W7XF
05-05-2012, 12:32 AM
I was hoping someone could loan me a working lawnmower ......so I could mow my own damn lawn!! :-P
Here ya go.... a certified GREEN lawnmower:

kb2vxa
05-05-2012, 01:29 AM
Green lawn mower, brown lawn.

KB3LAZ
05-05-2012, 02:42 AM
Had no idea what you were talking about simply by the name. :P Im bad with names. I do know the band but they do not make my top 1000. :P

kf0rt
05-05-2012, 05:42 AM
Beastie Boys never hit my musical radar. :dunno:

Are they any good?

KJ3N
05-05-2012, 07:56 AM
And I'm seven years your senior, so you GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

Not impressed, Carlo. My wife is a year older than you. Get off her lawn! :rofl:

suddenseer
05-05-2012, 08:22 AM
:heart: You see where I'm seeing him Monday night? Front & center, 17 rows back..I saw the show last year in Columbus. It was even better than the PF show about 30 years ago. The teacher that goes flying over the crowd broke down, and sprayed hydralic fluid everywhere. No way could I afford the seats you have. My sister, and I were up in nose bleed all the way in the back from the stage. Enjoy!

suddenseer
05-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Beastie Boys never hit my musical radar. :dunno:

Are they any good?It's white boy rap played by real musicians. The only rap I could handle."You got to fight, for your right to paaaaarta"

K7SGJ
05-05-2012, 08:36 AM
I'm older than all you bastids so....................oh yeah, I don't have any lawn.

Get off my desert

kf0rt
05-05-2012, 08:38 AM
It's white boy rap played by real musicians. The only rap I could handle."You got to fight, for your right to paaaaarta"

I'll give 'em two tracks to impress or depress. :lol::yes:

Rap of any sort has never been on the playlist here. :dunno:

W4GPL
05-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Funny enough, the rap thing was kind of a joke -- at first. They originally started out as a punk band. After the success of 'you gotta fight', Rick Rubin & Russel Simmons encouraged them to do an entirely hip-hop album and the rest is history. Their brand extended over multiple genres; to call it "rap" is very narrow.

N8GAV
05-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Man you guys making me feel old ! I saw Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of The Moon" tour in 1972 in Pittsburgh, and I was in the Marine Corp then. My daughter had to tell me who the Beastie Boys were this afternoon, I had no clue.

NQ6U
05-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Man you guys making me feel old ! I saw Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of The Moon" tour in 1972 in Pittsburgh, and I was in the Marine Corp then. My daughter had to tell me who the Beastie Boys were this afternoon, I had no clue.

We're not making you feel old. You are old. We'll get off your lawn now.

W4GPL
05-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Man you guys making me feel old ! I saw Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of The Moon" tour in 1972 in Pittsburgh, and I was in the Marine Corp then. My daughter had to tell me who the Beastie Boys were this afternoon, I had no clue.Well, you got the better part of the deal. I never was able to see the full "Pink Floyd". It was always sans Wright or Waters. And in my opinion Pink Floyd without Roger Waters is like a BLT without the bacon. I have a massive amount of respect for Mr. Gilmour, but there would be no Pink Floyd without Roger.

N8GAV
05-05-2012, 01:44 PM
We're not making you feel old. You are old. We'll get off your lawn now.

:lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

kf0rt
05-05-2012, 01:45 PM

When men were men and good pot was $25 an ounce. :rofl:

W4GPL
05-05-2012, 01:47 PM
When men were men and good pot was $25 an ounce. :rofl:Shit, until 3 years ago, I was paying $50 for 1/8. We have is soooo good in Colorado. *heaven*

N8GAV
05-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Well, you got the better part of the deal. I never was able to see the full "Pink Floyd". It was always sans Wright or Waters. And in my opinion Pink Floyd without Roger Waters is like a BLT without the bacon. I have a massive amount of respect for Mr. Gilmour, but there would be no Pink Floyd without Roger.

Don't laugh at me Jeff, but I HAVE "Dark Side Of The Moon" on 8 Track. Don't have anything to play it on, but still have some 8 track tapes.

N8GAV
05-05-2012, 01:54 PM
When men were men and good pot was $25 an ounce. :rofl:

$25 hell Rob.......... It was only $20 :lol: :lol: With a pack of Zig Zag's

W4GPL
05-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Don't laugh at me Jeff, but I HAVE "Dark Side Of The Moon" on 8 Track. Don't have anything to play it on, but still have some 8 track tapes.Naw, no laughing..

I own DSTM and The Wall on vinyl. Don't ask me what I paid.. :lol:

W4GPL
05-05-2012, 01:57 PM
I've never even unsealed The Wall, it's hanging on my living room wall..

suddenseer
05-05-2012, 02:20 PM
I've never even unsealed The Wall, it's hanging on my living room wall..I am assuming you have the Live 8 DVDs. I almost threw a beer can at my tv when MTV cut-off the last minute Comfortably Numb.

W4GPL
05-05-2012, 02:23 PM
I am assuming you have the Live 8 DVDs. I almost threw a beer can at my tv when MTV cut-off the last minute Comfortably Numb.I don't, but I have the HD quality unedited video stored somewhere.

FWIW, I was there. ;) I'm not fucking around when I say I'm a "fan". It's an obsession to the point of embarrassment. I saw Roger Waters in concert 11 times in the last 5 years -- twice out of the country.

N8GAV
05-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Have DSTM and the Wall on cd, got Deep Purple's Fireball, Machine Head, and Come taste the Band on vinyl, still play them

NQ6U
05-05-2012, 02:27 PM
I lost track of how many vinyl copies of Dark Side of the Moon I wore out before I finally got it on CD. However many it was, it was in direct proportion to the number of ounces of weed consumed.

N8GAV
05-05-2012, 02:32 PM
I lost track of how many vinyl copies of Dark Side of the Moon I wore out before I finally got it on CD. However many it was, it was in direct proportion to the number of ounces of weed consumed.

Something told me you were/ are an old hippie Carl

NQ6U
05-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Something told me you were/ are an old hippie Carl

Uh, yeah, that something would be me. Couldn't help it—I came of age in San Francisco during the Summer of Love. Never had really long hair, though, but only because this curly guinea mop of mine became unmanageable past a certain point and I ended up looking like a Rastafarian.

W4GPL
05-05-2012, 02:58 PM
I mostly certainly own ever Pink Floyd, Roger Waters, and David Gilmour CD ever printed.

N8GAV
05-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Speaking of Rastafarian, anyone like Bob Marley?

XE1/N5AL
05-05-2012, 03:22 PM
I've never even unsealed The Wall, it's hanging on my living room wall..
"All in all, it's just The Wall on your wall." :)

kf0rt
05-05-2012, 03:23 PM
$25 hell Rob.......... It was only $20 :lol: :lol: With a pack of Zig Zag's

Yeah... I can even remember $15. Barely. :rofl:

suddenseer
05-05-2012, 03:25 PM
I don't, but I have the HD quality unedited video stored somewhere.

FWIW, I was there. ;) I'm not fucking around when I say I'm a "fan". It's an obsession to the point of embarrassment. I saw Roger Waters in concert 11 times in the last 5 years -- twice out of the country.Wow Jeff! you win the Island's #1 fan award. I was fortunate to attend both versions of The Wall. Now, the unfortunate part, I was drunk, stoned, and trippin so I have very limited memory of the one 30 odd years ago. The last show, my sister and I were slamming bottled water, and sugar free Monster. I was encouraged to see young kids attending with their parents and or grandparents. It is nice to see the hippies here as well. Nowadays, I seem to be consumed with keeping children off my lawn.:angry:

kf0rt
05-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Naw, no laughing..

I own DSTM and The Wall on vinyl. Don't ask me what I paid.. :lol:

I've got DSTM on vinyl from the original release -- back when an LP was like $11. :neener: No longer own a turntable, though.

You into 5.1 DTS, Jeff?

ETA: NVM, you probably already have it. :mrgreen:

kf0rt
05-05-2012, 03:28 PM
I don't, but I have the HD quality unedited video stored somewhere.

FWIW, I was there. ;) I'm not fucking around when I say I'm a "fan". It's an obsession to the point of embarrassment. I saw Roger Waters in concert 11 times in the last 5 years -- twice out of the country.

My hat's off to you, sir. ;)

XE1/N5AL
05-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Funny how these days, turntables come with USB connections.

kf0rt
05-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Funny how these days, turntables come with USB connections.

I'd be half interested in that, but everything I had on vinyl I now have on MP3. Still have most of my LP's, but they're really not worth anything.

N7YA
05-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Im late to the BB tribute thread.

Yes, i saw it yesterday. Our DJ shouted him out at work and played a few video tracks after we were done. Im old enough to remember their first album, as well as Pink Floyd when they were big....so im now going to GET OFF MY OWN LAWN!!

NQ6U
05-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Speaking of Rastafarian, anyone like Bob Marley?

Meh. He was okay but I prefer Toots and the Maytals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rb13ksYO0s

w2amr
05-06-2012, 04:27 AM
Meh. He was okay but I prefer Toots and the Maytals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rb13ksYO0s
I kind of like Toots and the flowers.:mrgreen:

W1GUH
05-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Hmmmmm....maybe I'll start a thread about who's the oldest here? But maybe the answer will be depressing!

Re: Pink Floyd

LOVE them...BUT...

How come so many of their albums and great songs have gone so unnoticed, especially The Final Cut? Probably just the suits at the radio stations who like to beat a particular album to death (like The Wall -- loved it til it became over-exposed).

Never really learned what The Beastie Boys is (are?) all about, but always figured they had some relevance. There was lots of really good and relevant other music about that time and this OF couldn't keep up with what was happening. Will check them out.

And, re: animals as a lawn mower...

I was on a bus at the Grand Canyon a bunch of years ago. The driver was pointing out things along the way and educating us about the park in general when I heard her say, "I saw some deer in the cemetary doing maintenance this morning." Huh? Yea, they actually use the natural fauna to keep things tidy!

wm3o
05-07-2012, 08:49 AM
so yeah, MCA, RIP....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BptQHAW2T5M

W4GPL
05-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Totally on board with "The Final Cut", by far the best Pink Floyd album.. but it was 100% Roger Waters, Gilmour & Wright wouldn't even agree to tour it. There's so much drama there; even a teenage girl would roll her eyes.

If you check out the Live 8 video.. at about 11:55 in.. Roger Waters declares how emotional it is to be "standing up to be counted with the rest of you" with these 3 guys.. Sir, if you wanted to make a difference, you'd produce a quarter of a billion dollar show and do it all for charity. I might be a major hypocrite for shelling out my $200 to see him, but he's a fraud too! ;)

I'm really angry lately, my apologies. :D Hypocrites! Liars! Rich fucking bastards who should review their rhetoric. Fuck off, again.

One of Roger's big scenes during the performance is his hatred for Apple and Steve Jobs. Get a clue Roger, you're no different than Jobs -- other than the fact that you're still alive. Fuck off, just a little more.

W1GUH
05-07-2012, 09:07 AM
About vinyl....

Directed searching at junk shops, vinyl shops, tag sales, yard sales, and even hamfests will probably eventually turn up all of the albums you're looking for for decent prices. The tag sales usually have prices at the one or two bucks/disc level, and even vinyl shops are reasonable -- the going rate for good condition vinyl is about $15, but that goes higher with rarity. But not THAT high. The condx of the vinyl -- even from yard sales -- has been very acceptable. Even pulled Wheels of Fire our of a trash can & IT was superb. The neat thing about records is that usually, if it looks good, it'll probably sound good. Have yet to get a bad one, even being as indiscriminate as I've been.

OK....(climbing on the soapbox).....:soapbox:

But if you're going to do vinyl....

Forget about those USB turntables and forget about using the phono preamp in any receiver or control preamp out there. To do vinyl properly, a good discrete Phono Preamp is necessary. The preamps in those TT's and receivers is probably an IC that cost about a buck and probably doesn't come anywhere near a true RIAA Eq curve, not to mention noise and distortion specs. OTOH, a good phono preamp will have dead-nuts accurate Eq and other specs that are very, very obviously SUPER GOOD as soon as you hear it. Plus, the sharp cutoff at 20kc (I think that's where it is) does wonders for eliminating incidental, superficial dust noise on the disk. Imagine listening to a record and hearing nothing but velvety silence between tracks! That's what I hear with vinyl. I've got the Creek OBH-18 (http://www.creekaudio.com/products/obh18.php) for reference. Don't necessarily recommend that one, it's what I got from the hi-fi shop down the Ave. (http://www.lyricusa.com/), but it's representative of how good they can be. Downside, of course, is the price (but you do get what you pay for)...I got mine in 2000 for $250.

This is exactly the same situation as with mic preamps.

Also, when I went back there for a cartridge for the TT (Fisher MT-640 -- probably mid-range consumer grade, anyone know about it? Mine was a free hallway score.), their Analog Guy recommended the Grado Prestige Black (http://www.gradolabs.com/page_cartridges.php?item=07c2a06140d3d76b82c76ea9b 217e647). That's very affordable - about $30.00 - and when I asked if it'd be worthwhile going more upscale with my TT, he kind of chuckled and said something about "not with THAT TT!"

I've done a fair amount of Vinyl to CD transcriptions for friends and have gotten very nice comments about the sound. I use a Roland virtual studio for the digitization.

And, hell, while I'm on the subject -- when putting together an audio system, don't overlook pro studio power amps. They are fantastic, very well built, and very reasonably priced. I got the Samson 260 from Manny's (well Sam Ashe now) that was being used in their demo rack for a great price (luck -- right place, right time) with full warranty. You can probably do as well with Guitar Center, my preferred source of studio stuff. My Creek drives that beautifully!

OK...off the soapbox!

W1GUH
05-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Totally on board with "The Final Cut", by far the best Pink Floyd album.. but it was 100% Roger Waters, Gilmour & Wright wouldn't even agree to tour it. There's so much drama there; even a teenage girl would roll her eyes.

If you check out the Live 8 video.. at about 11:55 in.. Roger Waters declares how emotional it is to be "standing up to be counted with the rest of you" with these 3 guys.. Sir, if you wanted to make a difference, you'd produce a quarter of a billion dollar show and do it all for charity. I might be a major hypocrite for shelling out my $200 to see him, but he's a fraud too! ;)

I'm really angry lately, my apologies. :D Hypocrites! Liars! Rich fucking bastards who should review their rhetoric. Fuck off, again.

One of Roger's big scenes during the performance is his hatred for Apple and Steve Jobs. Get a clue Roger, you're no different than Jobs -- other than the fact that you're still alive. Fuck off, just a little more.

Ab-so-fuckin-lutely!!!!!! :agree::rock::cheers:

And thanks for the info about The Final Cut. Didn't know that.

ka4dpo
05-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Hell I'm 35 years your senior, wanna give me a ride to the proctologist?

wm3o
05-08-2012, 08:58 AM
the only "The Final Cut" i need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctd0Z6IVDUg

so many great samples here - the Public Enemy sample ties it back to MCA, who gave Rick Rubin PE's demo tape.

wm3o
05-08-2012, 09:00 AM

is that your best pickup line?

KB3LAZ
05-08-2012, 10:07 AM

But how many years my senior are you? xD