PDA

View Full Version : Linux and "systemd"

n2ize
05-03-2012, 01:37 PM
In Fedora 16 they have gone 100% to using "systemd" for initialization and startup of various daemons as opposed to the standard "init". The hard part is the configurations are different, a lot of things are in different locations and there is a learning curve for those who are used to the old method. In particular systemd balks at the older commands like

$ chkconfig <daemon>

or

$ service <daemon>

i.e. there are newer systemd commands to do similar thing. All in all systemd is more robust but, there is that learning curve.

In particular I am having trouble connecting to the vlc server. I have followed the instructions for configuring it to start and run vie the new "systemd" method. But when i try to connect via a VLC client I keep getting "connection refused - no route to host - socket 113". I can ping the machine, it is visible on the network, I even turned off the firewall and I disabled SElinux but I still have the same connect issues. It seems that for some reason the socket itself won't accept any connections. It was working fine under Fedora 12 using the old method.

Any ideas ? Something I'm overlooking ?

BY the way, "systemd" daemon is the replacement for the familiar System V init daemon used to start/stop daemons (services) on *nix systems. If it is not alreadyu being used in your Linux duistro yet it will very likely be in the not too distant future

n6hcm
05-06-2012, 02:15 AM
netstat -n -l should show you what's listening on which ports ...

do you see any error messages in /var/log/messages ... does dmesg show anything?

n2ize
05-06-2012, 12:48 PM
netstat -n -l should show you what's listening on which ports ...

do you see any error messages in /var/log/messages ... does dmesg show anything?

I haven't had much chance to look at the system over the past few days. I'll check it out and let you know what I find. Not sure if the proper ports are open and accessible yet. I believe the vlc daemon listens on a range of ports.

n2ize
05-07-2012, 04:05 AM
According to some of my readings on systemd the commands such as "service", and "chkconfig" are compatable and should work, however the systemd guru's recommend learning and using the native systemd commands. So, since "service vlc-server start" didn't work I'm imagine it may be the daemon is incorrectly figured. I'll have to check it out when I get a chance.

n2ize
05-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Just a conclusion on this, I got vnc working and everything is fine. It turned out to be a firewall and a configuration issue. For one a certain configuration file that vnc daemon needs was not set up right. Second, I needed to open up some ports in the firewall to allow traffic to pass in/out of the machine. It''s working great now via standard desktop client or via web client. Also the "systemd" configuration was a snap. Works very well.