PDA

View Full Version : Party Plates - does your state have these?

N8YX
05-03-2012, 06:48 AM
And what good are they doing in keeping DUI offenders off the roads?

Ours must not be working. Got stuck behind Lou (Lou Zerr, to be precise) yesterday afternoon while running errands downtown.

Stopping at lights is good...but not green ones. Likewise, you cannot turn left on a red light, especially if you don't even bother slowing down to check the intersection.

Of course, the pickup in question was proudly displaying one of these.

kf0rt
05-03-2012, 07:30 AM
'Splain the deal, Fred - I don't get it. :dunno:

I think Colorado has more specialty plates than any state in the union (74 at last count?), but I've never heard of a "party plate."

Here, you can get a friggin' Broncos plate if you want it. "Italian American" plate? I've seen 'em. I assume a party plate is something they give convictees of DUI?

N8YX
05-03-2012, 07:38 AM
'Splain the deal, Fred - I don't get it. :dunno:

I assume a party plate is something they give convictees of DUI?

Correct - the term is a local colloquialism for them. Supposedly makes it easier for da coppas to spot repeat offenders. The plate's presence infers limited driving privileges (typically, to and from work only) but I've seen them affixed to vehicles parked outside of area bars...

kf0rt
05-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Ah, okay. We don't have those here.

WØTKX
05-03-2012, 09:03 AM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17fiks70jext2jpg/xlarge.jpg

KJ3N
05-03-2012, 09:07 AM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17fiks70jext2jpg/xlarge.jpg

:rofl:

suddenseer
05-03-2012, 10:00 AM
I might have earned a yellow plate back in the day. I just want my callsign plate. I pay extra for it, but it must not be that much extra, or i would not have one.

W4GPL
05-03-2012, 10:27 AM
I think Colorado has more specialty plates than any state in the union (74 at last count?), but I've never heard of a "party plate."Really? Because I got a new car, I've been looking at the specialty plates. I certainly don't recall 74 -- certainly not 74 available to the general public. I've been considering this one:

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1251672219057&ssbinary=true

It's visually appealing & I'm a big supporter of our parks..

FWIW, it's like $2000 to put a new car on the road in Colorado. Fuck this state and their parks. ;)

kf0rt
05-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Well, you won't qualify for all of them, but here's the launching point: http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/Revenue-MV/RMV/1177024843150

I count 32 different military plates, 13 school plates, 28 "special" plates (including one for Greyhounds), 34 "other" plates and then there's the normal stuff.

I assume the $2K you're quoting includes the sales tax. If you have a 3rd owner car, the government made more off it than the manufacturer the way I see it. :(

W4GPL
05-03-2012, 10:43 AM
I assume the $2K you're quoting includes the sales tax. If you have a 3rd owner car, the government made more off it than the manufacturer the way I see it. :(I don't believe that includes "sales" tax. I called the Denver County DMV and got an estimate, they quoted me $1670-ish. It's due on May 28th -- my sales tax on my invoice (which I financed) was $1591.

kf0rt
05-03-2012, 10:47 AM
I could be wrong, but that sounds way high to me. $500-$700 sounds more like it for "just" registration and plates on a new ~$15-20K car.

ETA: Buddy of mine at work just bought a new Toyota Tacoma ($27-28K). Says his plates were $570. Yours should be cheaper.

W3WN
05-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Really? Because I got a new car, I've been looking at the specialty plates. I certainly don't recall 74 -- certainly not 74 available to the general public. < snip >Well, if CO is doing something like what PA does...

There may not be 74 plates available to the general public, but I'd bet there are a ton of plates for groups or organizations.

For example, in PA, there are general plates to support the Zoos, Preserve Railroads, and so forth. (The YF really likes the Zoo plates, we have them on both of our cars.)

There are also plates for college alumni, fraternal organizations, charities (there's a lot for the Lemieux Foundation in our parking lot at work), special events (I could get a Pgh. Vintage Grand Prix plate if I really wanted to), square dancers, barbershop quartets... and of course, Amateur Radio call sign plates as well.

Plus really special plates for state, local & municipal governments. The major colleges & universities have special plates for their own vehicles. Heck, even the light rail transit cars have their own plates...

W4GPL
05-03-2012, 10:57 AM
I could be wrong, but that sounds way high to me. $500-$700 sounds more like it for "just" registration and plates on a new ~$15-20K car.I thought so too, I double checked it.. are you basing your estimate on the assumption that you're transferring plates? I hope when I get down to the DMV next week that I'm incredibly wrong. It's 2.x% of MSRP - 15% + some absurd first time registration fee.

suddenseer
05-03-2012, 11:10 AM
I guess Ohiya has it's good points. My non-commercial truck plates with the callsign is about $80.00. We pay out the a$$ when we buy the vehicle. The sales tax is paid when the title is cut.

KG4CGC
05-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Oh yeah? Well SC has SIX different NASCAR plates!
http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/plategallery.aspx

For a total of 143
(http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/plategallery.aspx)

NQ6U
05-03-2012, 12:35 PM
CA has a shit-ton of special plates as well, most of which demand a premium both at the outset and then again every year at renewal time. On the other hand, the ham radio plate isn't a bad deal—$24 for the plate but no extra fee at renewal.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/hamplate_sm.jpg

No "party plate," though.

W2NAP
05-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Indiana has over 85 plates. http://www.in.gov/bmv/2352.htm

but no yellow im a drunk plate.

are standard plate is the blue back white numbers/letters (sorta like michigans blue plates)

Another tid bit. Indiana used to have the plates like this 48 (county Madison) A (city Anderson) 0000

1st 2 numbers county single letter city. not many states had plate setups like this. to bad they ditched it.

also you can see all the old design plates here -> http://www.worldlicenceplates.com/usa/US_INXX.html

kf0rt
05-03-2012, 01:44 PM
I thought so too, I double checked it.. are you basing your estimate on the assumption that you're transferring plates?

Nope - New registration on a new vehicle. Last time I bought a car was 2008. First year plates were under $500.

I hope when I get down to the DMV next week that I'm incredibly wrong. It's 2.x% of MSRP - 15% + some absurd first time registration fee.

That actually sounds about right except for the first time registration fee (doesn't exist AFAIK). On a $20K car, that would be 2% of $17K, or $340. They are charging new fees "just because they can", but that's under $50. $23 road fee and $18 bridge fee according to the two registrations I have.

I'll be shocked if it costs you over $600. Unless there is some weirdness that only applies to Denver county.

kb2vxa
05-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Party plates? The first thing that came to mind was Alice B. Toklas brownies... RATS! Then it came to me, now who would ever guess?

WØTKX
05-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Denver Motor Vehicle Fees and Sales Tax (http://www.denvergov.org/MotorVehicle/TitlesandRegistrations/TitlesandRegistrations8/tabid/391087/Default.aspx)

Ownership Tax = Taxable Value x Tax Rate =

(MSRP x 85%) x (1st Year ownership) Tax Rate (2.1%)

XE1/N5AL
05-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Did the Ohio legislature ever pass that bill, from a few years back, to require fluorescent green plates for the cars of violent sex offenders and child predators? In a way, it would have its merits towards protecting the public. But, can you imagine what would happen to that poor car every time it was left parked in a public place, like the neighborhood Walmart parking lot.

KG4CGC
05-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Did the Ohio legislature ever pass that bill, from a few years back, to require fluorescent green plates for the cars of violent sex offenders and child predators? In a way, it would have its merits towards protecting the public. But, can you imagine what would happen to that poor car every time it was left parked in a public place, like the neighborhood Walmart parking lot.

Kind of a slippery slope in that law. Zealots in their fury would want to make special plates for all different types convicted criminal.

NQ6U
05-03-2012, 05:29 PM

Kind of a slippery slope in that law. Zealots in their fury would want to make special plates for all different types convicted criminal.

Not only that, it would pretty much doom any chance of success for a guy who's genuinely remorseful, has done his time and is sincerely trying to rehabilitate himself. There must be at least a few of those among the convicted, even if they are rare.

N7YA
05-03-2012, 05:30 PM
They may even go as far as to make a special plate just for "people who havent done anything....yet", Or the just-dont-like-em! plate. Perhaps we will see brown plates for Mexkans if things keep heading that way.

KG4CGC
05-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Not only that, it would pretty much doom any chance of success for a guy who's genuinely remorseful, has done his time and is sincerely trying to rehabilitate himself. There must be at least a few of those among the convicted, even if they are rare.

Yes. I wanted to go there but omitting child molesters because I've only heard that they never get better. Don't know if it's true, but...

But I understand your concern. It has been proven that more and more, we don't want to give anyone a chance and that paying back your debt to society and moving on is pure bullshit. If we're going to be a society of people who want to hurt people for the rest of their lives, look at drug laws, then let's just take them out right after trial and conviction. Why doom someone to a life of abject poverty and hardships? Perhaps executing them would be more humane. If you've payed your debt, you've paid your debt. Now go get a job. Not gonna happen. The current system is also big business for the state and the vocal minority insists that the punishment go above and beyond what the system originally intended, Old Testament style. Scarlet Letter Puritans still rule the US.

Back on child molesters, the Sex Offender Registry doesn't really distinguish between crimes against children vs crimes against adults nor does it include important details although if they are under a certain age it will say ''against a minor." For example, I know that my neighbor diagonally across from me was convicted of a rape 20 some years ago in Tennessee. Doesn't tell me if he was a teen at the time who was having sex with his girlfriend and got caught or found out by the girl's father, like has happened here in SC. Just says rape.

NQ6U
05-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Yes. I wanted to go there but omitting child molesters because I've only heard that they never get better. Don't know if it's true, but...

But I understand your concern. It has been proven that more and more, we don't want to give anyone a chance and that paying back your debt to society and moving on is pure bullshit. If we're going to be a society of people who want to hurt people for the rest of their lives, look at drug laws, then let's just take them out right after trial and conviction. Why doom someone to a life of abject poverty and hardships? Perhaps executing them would be more humane. If you've payed your debt, you've paid your debt. Now go get a job. Not gonna happen. The current system is also big business for the state and the vocal minority insists that the punishment go above and beyond what the system originally intended, Old Testament style. Scarlet Letter Puritans still rule the US.

Back on child molesters, the Sex Offender Registry doesn't really distinguish between crimes against children vs crimes against adults nor does it include important details although if they are under a certain age it will say ''against a minor." For example, I know that my neighbor diagonally across from me was convicted of a rape 20 some years ago in Tennessee. Doesn't tell me if he was a teen at the time who was having sex with his girlfriend and got caught or found out by the girl's father, like has happened here in SC. Just says rape.

Yes, I agree about the child molesters, they never do get better, but not every registered sex offenders is a pedo—hell, in California, if you're busted for public urination, it's considered indecent exposure and you have to register as a sex offender!

I don't want to come off as being too namby-pamby when it comes to this stuff but it's a fact that there are people who have committed some pretty serious crimes , yet have managed to make good citizens out of themselves after doing their time. Whenever feasible, we should at least give them the opportunity to make good after being in the joint.

NA4BH
05-03-2012, 06:41 PM
http://www.panelsonpages.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/cage-raising-arizona-300x240.jpg

kf0rt
05-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Yes, I agree about the child molesters, they never do get better, but not every registered sex offenders is a pedo—hell, in California, if you're busted for public urination, it's considered indecent exposure and you have to register as a sex offender!

I don't want to come off as being too namby-pamby when it comes to this stuff but it's a fact that there are people who have committed some pretty serious crimes , yet have managed to make good citizens out of themselves after doing their time. Whenever feasible, we should at least give them the opportunity to make good after being in the joint.

Seen this before. I work with a lot of Europeans and one of them was "caught" taking a whiz on a tree some years ago. Middle of the night and he just had to pee. This cost a court appearance, but no sex offender status.

KG4CGC
05-03-2012, 06:50 PM

Yeah, I know a guy locally who pulled off the road and walked out into the forest about 70 yards because he HAD to piss. When he came back the sheriff was waiting on him. SEX OFFENDER!

But like the party plates, shall we just mark people for public identification? I mean, we're doing background checks on minimum wage job applicants.

N7YA
05-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I know a guy locally who pulled off the road and walked out into the forest about 70 yards because he HAD to piss. When he came back the sheriff was waiting on him. SEX OFFENDER!

The sheriff?? :shock:

Squeal, boy!

KG4CGC
05-03-2012, 06:56 PM
The sheriff?? :shock:

Squeal, boy!

Counties here have one sheriff and a bunch of deputies. Counties that are assigned a section of interstate have highway patrols. Cities within counties have police but with work together within a town of the same name of the city with the sheriff.

N7YA
05-03-2012, 07:04 PM
I was just clarifying that the sheriff was the sex offender...it makes for a better internal dialogue for me. ;)

KG4CGC
05-03-2012, 07:10 PM
I was just clarifying that the sheriff was the sex offender...it makes for a better internal dialogue for me. ;)

Oh, OK. Well, you think the sheriff raped his wiener?

N7YA
05-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Well....i wasnt going to let my internal dialogue go past basic humor. But anythings possible.

N7YA
05-03-2012, 07:12 PM
...this island gives me lulz. :lol:

W5GA
05-04-2012, 10:33 PM
But like the party plates, shall we just mark people for public identification? I mean, we're doing background checks on minimum wage job applicants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKmJPnAGUJk

W7XF
05-04-2012, 11:16 PM
No... but now Arizona has these pieces of shit:

Supposedly, they will NOT be issued to any vehicles registered to a business (INCLUDING religious organisation vehicles) (we'll see about that!).

But I prefer mine:

AZ rapes us for $25 to make them AND $25/yr renewal. Bastids!

N7YA
05-05-2012, 04:04 AM
Your vanity plates look waaaay cooler than ours! Cost about the same, i think.

kf0rt
05-05-2012, 05:32 AM
A lot of states have those. Okay by me as long as they're in the vanity class and they're not forcing everyone to wear one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=in+god+we+trust+license+plates&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rlz=1R1GGGL_en___US356&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=JAGlT8y-CIXS2gWHnIymAg&biw=1321&bih=753&sei=JwGlT5mnCqbC2wWHr9mmAg

K7SGJ
05-14-2012, 08:50 PM
No... but now Arizona has these pieces of shit:

Supposedly, they will NOT be issued to any vehicles registered to a business (INCLUDING religious organisation vehicles) (we'll see about that!).

But I prefer mine:

AZ rapes us for $25 to make them AND $25/yr renewal. Bastids!

Yes, they are bastids. I didn't mind the extra $25 one time cost for the special plate, but when these fukwads started the extra $25/yr, I said piss on it. They tax the crap out us of every chance they get, and I don't feel like volunteering any addition funds for them to piss away. Bastids bastids bastids