PDA

View Full Version : Looks like a great site for learning EE theory....

W1GUH
05-02-2012, 10:49 PM
MITOPENSOURCEWARE from MIT. (http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/)

Those are the EE and CS courses available. 6.00SC looks like a great intro to software, and 6.002 looks like a good place to start with circuit theory and 6.003 looks good for signals and systems. Have fun!

XE1/N5AL
05-03-2012, 01:46 AM
It's just like being in school again. Some of those courses, especially in the EE and CS areas, look really good for self study. They have a video tape of the course, handouts, course notes, homework and the exams. I'll have to pick a subject and learn something new!

Indirectly, I got my big "back to school" experience a couple of years ago when two of my nephews started college. They had to make the big transition from learning in the Mexican public school system to attending what is considered one of the "Ivy League" private universities of Mexico: the #1, or #2 university, depending on who you ask. Their main deficiency was math, so the three of us worked together almost every day, for two to sometimes four hours, while they were taking their analytical geometry and calculus courses. I was surprised at how quickly all that stuff I hadn't used in decades came back so quickly. It was also more clear this time around, even though the course materials were in a different language than 30 years ago. Maybe in mid-life, learning is easier than in my youth; when girls and parties were more on my mind.

Anyway, my nephews were two of the few who got A's in those math classes. But, their success is probably due more to the fact that they are smart kids than due to my rather poor teaching skills. :)

ab1ga
05-03-2012, 06:33 AM
I've loved this site since it was launched about ten years ago, but you have to pretend you're in college, and set aside a block of time, or you won't maintain traction. I started 6.00 at the start of the year, but the new job broke the pattern and now it's time to sync up again. Or start over with the "SC" versions. It's great that they've expanded that section, but I'm a bit lost without the old course numbers attached to them.

The courses are also a good way to see how much you -really- remember from college! And some advice, 6.002 cites 18.03 as a corequisite, but it's a prerequisite, trust me on this. :)

.dale.

wm3o
05-03-2012, 12:42 PM
i'm interested in this course:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-098-street-fighting-mathematics-january-iap-2008/

KG4NEL
05-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Differential equations and I still aren't on speaking terms - there's a reason I didn't end up as a BSEE, lol.

K7SGJ
05-03-2012, 02:07 PM
I wonder if they offer a correspondence course in Gynecology?

NQ6U
05-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Differential equations and I still aren't on speaking terms - there's a reason I didn't end up as a BSEE, lol.

Same here. Just reading the words "differential equations" in your post gave me a headache.

W2NAP
05-03-2012, 04:07 PM
to bad it seems #24 is missing from every course!