PDA

View Full Version : WTB...Small screws for Laptop

KA9MOT
05-01-2012, 07:22 PM
I was given a Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop because it didn't work. The lady who owned it took it into a local computer shop because it wasn't working well, and the shop told her the CPU Fan was bad. She purchased a new (From Dell) CPU Fan and the shop installed it. Still no luck, so she gave it to me. I got it with 7 screws holding it together. I took it apart yesterday, plugged in the CPU Fan and it works fine business.

Anyway, I need a handful of the small types of screws they use in laptops.

I also need a charger for this machine... might have to go back to ebay on that one.

ka9mot@gmail.com

KG4NEL
05-01-2012, 07:26 PM
I have a Dell XPS from that era that I've had sitting around, if they'll fit they're yours.

Ebay was the best option for power supplies when I've had to replace them.

KA9MOT
05-01-2012, 08:09 PM
I have a Dell XPS from that era that I've had sitting around, if they'll fit they're yours.

Ebay was the best option for power supplies when I've had to replace them.

I just looked at ebay and found a charger for $8 with free shipping. Found some screws too, for $10. I'll take yours if your not gonna use them. How much you want for them?

KG4NEL
05-01-2012, 09:09 PM
If you're OK with first-class mail, I'll take it apart tomorrow and send some out. They're not doing anything for me now, figure I'll pass the karma along... :)

KA9MOT
05-01-2012, 09:12 PM
If you're OK with first-class mail, I'll take it apart tomorrow and send some out. They're not doing anything for me now, figure I'll pass the karma along... :)

Hell Yeah! and Thank You! On Thurday (I'll be rich for a day) I'll go put some money on the eBay card and get one of those $8 power supplies and then I can hook my niece up with a computer.

K7SGJ
05-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Steve, be careful which screws you use and where. On the case, you will see a number next to the screw hole which is the length in mm. If you use one too long, it can go through the case on the other side, or hit something important and cause all kinds of troubles. Don't ask how I know. Also be sure you use the correct style where needed. Some fit flush and are countersunk to allow other parts to fit flush. On the power supplies, they used 19 volt supplies but had three different tips that I know of. One was the standard coaxial power type, one was a square connector with three contact holes, and the most popular was like the coaxial type, but had a center pin instead of just a hole. It was actually a three circuit plug that had the charging conductors plus a sense wire. They also used a 65 watt and a 90 watt supply. I suggest the 90 watt supply since it will work for either but not so with the 65 watt. I may have a docking station for it if you want it. Just pay the shipping. It does require the 90 watt supply, but is handy for hooking up peripherals. If you want it check the Dell site and let me know what part number docking station it needs.

KA9MOT
05-03-2012, 04:40 AM
Steve, be careful which screws you use and where. On the case, you will see a number next to the screw hole which is the length in mm. If you use one too long, it can go through the case on the other side, or hit something important and cause all kinds of troubles. Don't ask how I know. Also be sure you use the correct style where needed. Some fit flush and are countersunk to allow other parts to fit flush. On the power supplies, they used 19 volt supplies but had three different tips that I know of. One was the standard coaxial power type, one was a square connector with three contact holes, and the most popular was like the coaxial type, but had a center pin instead of just a hole. It was actually a three circuit plug that had the charging conductors plus a sense wire. They also used a 65 watt and a 90 watt supply. I suggest the 90 watt supply since it will work for either but not so with the 65 watt. I may have a docking station for it if you want it. Just pay the shipping. It does require the 90 watt supply, but is handy for hooking up peripherals. If you want it check the Dell site and let me know what part number docking station it needs.

Thanks for the heads up on the screws. I'll make sure they are the correct length. I knew there was some differences on the power supplies, just didn't know what they were. My HP/Compaq supply runs the computer just fine, but the computer tells me it is the wrong one and it won't charge the battery.

I appreciate the offer on the docking station....... I don't really see what I would need one for, so thanks for the offer and I am just going to pass this on to my niece so, I'll decline for now.

K7SGJ
05-03-2012, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the screws. I'll make sure they are the correct length. I knew there was some differences on the power supplies, just didn't know what they were. My HP/Compaq supply runs the computer just fine, but the computer tells me it is the wrong one and it won't charge the battery.

I appreciate the offer on the docking station....... I don't really see what I would need one for, so thanks for the offer and I am just going to pass this on to my niece so, I'll decline for now.

The wrong power supply error is what happens when the wrong wattage supply is used. Chances are the one you have is 65 watts or less. If possible, try a 90 watt and it should solve your problem.

KA9MOT
05-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Jim,
I got the screws today. They were just what I needed. My niece turned her nose up at it (Fricken spoiled brat) so I am putting it up for sale.....funny, she did that when I helped find her first car too.......

KA9MOT
05-10-2012, 07:06 PM
The wrong power supply error is what happens when the wrong wattage supply is used. Chances are the one you have is 65 watts or less. If possible, try a 90 watt and it should solve your problem.

According to Dell it is a feature of the BIOS. It senses the power supply and gives the error before booting. They said the new BIOS update will fix that but I can't get it to update the BIOS while connected to a PS it doesn't like... :(

kb2crk
05-15-2012, 08:23 PM
I just saw this post. I had a bunch of what you needed but I see you have it handled... Oh well......