PDA

View Full Version : My 4001 Ricky

suddenseer
04-30-2012, 10:24 PM
I was lucky to acquire a classic 4001 Rickenbacker bass that was in awesome condition. I had to put a few Benjamin's , as well as 20 hours or so to restore him. I have spent the last 2 months forcing myself to play with a pic. This mp3 was recorded straight line in, passive mode on the pickups, and typical wave shape on the amp's eq. I choose a Tool tune to cover because I like their arraignments as bass is concerned.

Hear Ricky Roar!!!

http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/122630/Tool_Cover.mp3

W1GUH
06-05-2012, 04:15 PM
A man after me own heart! The bass I have, a white one. Got it at Jack's Music Shop in '85; it's still superb. Well, when I actually pull it out, which isn't very often these days. That was a big day. Got that and a Paul as a package deal. The Paul was a modified (chrome hardware, upgraded tuning thingies, and pickups) wine studio ax, and the guy had routed out the body for a Kahler. That's pretty much considered a bozo no-no for Pauls, but I loved it AND it brought the price WAY down.

Didja ever try Ric-o-sound? I haven't yet and have always wondered what that really is.

Enjoy!

suddenseer
06-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Ive heard ric-o-sound on guitars. This 4001 model, I broke the law of being original. I installed the ric toaster pick ups from the 70's. You might have detected that nasty/gutsy/rumble sound in my mp3's. This old instrument has exceeded all of my expectations. Mine sounds like no other.

W1GUH
06-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Sounds great - pretty much as you described. Good sound!

suddenseer
06-09-2012, 04:17 PM
I think we enjoy vintage musical instruments. 20 years ago my used bass was worth $750. Today it is a classic worth $4000!

W1GUH
06-09-2012, 04:54 PM
It was pretty much that the shop (Jack's Music, Red Bank, NJ) just got that Paul ('79) in - I'd been looking for one and that one was perfect for me...bought it as soon as I played for about a half a second. And they just happened to have that bass there at the same time. They dealt a little bit for the package deal.

But not entirely vintage here. The guitar I'm working on now, when I play at all (not very often lately) is a brand-new 12-String. What a bitch!

suddenseer
06-09-2012, 09:41 PM
I only do 4-6 strings. I know nothing of what you speak.