PDA

View Full Version : 7O6T

wm3o
04-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Worked them on 15 CW, what a zoo.

wa6mhz
04-30-2012, 06:23 PM
I get off in 5 minutes, but hear they are fading out! WORKING SUCKS!!!

KJ3N
04-30-2012, 06:26 PM
I'll wait until next week. Maybe it will only be a major CF, instead of a gigantic CF.

wm3o
04-30-2012, 06:54 PM
I'll wait until next week. Maybe it will only be a major CF, instead of a gigantic CF.

CW is much less of a CF that's for sure. 20M SSB was a zoo.

KJ3N
04-30-2012, 07:01 PM
CW is....

... an annoying noise that I can't stand. Pass. :hand:

wm3o
04-30-2012, 07:01 PM

those that can do ;)

KJ3N
04-30-2012, 07:02 PM
those that can do ;)

And those that can't stand it, don't.

NQ6U
04-30-2012, 07:03 PM
those that can do ;)

Those that can't use PSK31! ;)

wm3o
04-30-2012, 07:09 PM
And those that can't stand it, don't.

sure, i used to say the same thing.

W3WN
04-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Now, now boys. Fight nice.

Besides, until the paperwork is submitted, it doesn't count.

KC9ECI
04-30-2012, 07:21 PM
It is what it is. Some people find the magic in it, some don't. Life's too short to worry about such trivial things.

wm3o
04-30-2012, 07:31 PM
It is what it is. Some people find the magic in it, some don't. Life's too short to worry about such trivial things.

life is way too short.

W5GA
05-01-2012, 07:26 AM
Now, now boys. Fight nice.

WFWL. Worked them on 20 and 17 last night.

N7YA
05-01-2012, 07:51 AM

No worries. Its music to me...and by the sounds of it, one less station to grapple for space with.

Meanwhile, my desk mic is gathering dust.

wm3o
05-01-2012, 07:51 AM

how very Vogan.

wa6mhz
05-01-2012, 08:11 AM
NO copy in SoCal last night. Think it is a DAYTIME shot only. Might have to take off work for a prayer at working them. Haven't heard anything from our San Diego DX CLub of anyone working them yet. We need to wait till all of the East Coast and Midwest are finished. So this is PAYBACK time for all the Pacific DXpeditions!

N7YA
05-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Yeah....100w, inverted V, QTH Nevada, east coast/EU wall...ill be lucky to SWL them!

Then again, ive netted some biggies in the past...if i can hear them, ill go after 'em!

N2RJ
05-01-2012, 08:39 AM

I'm sorry, but I have to LMAO at this one. Are you trying to discourage people from working them? :lol:

Repeat after me - Work First, Worry Later.

Got them on 3 bands so far - 17 cw, 15 cw and 20 SSB. Mostly insurance QSOs but it's nice to have the challenge points.

I tried 30m last night but boy oh boy... what a zoo! Even with 3 elements and 200 watts it was just too crazy. At one point they were doing over 20kHz split. I guess they had to because it was worse than CQ world war. I shudder to think what the pileups will be like if/when P5 gets activated.

N2RJ
05-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Yeah....100w, inverted V, QTH Nevada, east coast/EU wall...ill be lucky to SWL them!

Then again, ive netted some biggies in the past...if i can hear them, ill go after 'em!

In a few days the pileups will thin down.

However, I like to work DXpeditions on the first day/night for the challenge. But understandably if you have compromise antennas and low power, you may have to QRX a bit.

Propagation favors the west coast better than europe on some bands at some times. Try after 2100z on 15m. As much as when I hate when they do this, they sometimes also work by the numbers.

N2RJ
05-01-2012, 08:50 AM
dupe

wa6mhz
05-01-2012, 08:52 AM
N6PSE wouldn't be on the DXpedition if he wasn't 100% sure the contacts will count. They must have ROCK HARD docs in hand. Don't know how they did it, but someone got paid off in Yemen. (He noted in Visalia that is Standard procedure in 3rd and 4th world countries just like Yemen) But notice how SECRET everything was until the day they started operations. Most secret DXpedition probably in Ham Radio history. Most likely for national security reasons, as Yemen is the Hotbed of AlQueada!

So, if Yemen can be put on the air, there IS hope for P5 North Korea. Just gotta pay off the right official!

N7YA
05-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Oh i hate the numbers too! But its the DX' call as to how things are run, so i have to keep plugging away. Right now, i hear the pile on 17m CW for them, but a veeeeerrrrry faint whisper of them. I also missed Spratly, they werent very strong here for some reason and the pile was too much for my pissant setup.

Again, i have a couple hundred nice cards using only wires and no more than 100w...never say never!

N7YA
05-01-2012, 08:57 AM
N6PSE wouldn't be on the DXpedition if he wasn't 100% sure the contacts will count. They must have ROCK HARD docs in hand. Don't know how they did it, but someone got paid off in Yemen. (He noted in Visalia that is Standard procedure in 3rd and 4th world countries just like Yemen) But notice how SECRET everything was until the day they started operations. Most secret DXpedition probably in Ham Radio history. Most likely for national security reasons, as Yemen is the Hotbed of AlQueada!

So, if Yemen can be put on the air, there IS hope for P5 North Korea. Just gotta pay off the right official!

Fingers crossed! The last thing from NK that was accepted at the DXCC counter was about 400 or so qso's by Martti. I think i would hear them just fine from here. Getting through that pileup would be another matter!

N2RJ
05-01-2012, 09:01 AM
I don't think DPRK will be as easy. I notice that in Yemen they let them take lots of photos of regular people. Won't really happen in DPRK. I believe they are a lot tighter.

I also get a feeling that part of the deal was specifically to promote tourism for Socotra island. Notice how the web link to the tourist resort went up yesterday.

N7YA
05-01-2012, 09:11 AM
There usually is some kind of trade off when it comes to these things. Unless its a wildlife preserve or some kind of sensitive ecosystem, its usually political.

N7YA
05-01-2012, 09:15 AM
They are building now on 17, but so is the pileup. They are about 559...the pile is 599+20. And i need to get to bed....its after 7!

wa6mhz
05-01-2012, 09:37 AM
They have an ONLINE Propogation map that shows just which bands have prop to where and when Doesn't look good for West Coast. Very poor propogation on all bands all day and night
http://www.yemen2012.com/propagation.php

W3WN
05-01-2012, 09:47 AM
WFWL. Worked them on 20 and 17 last night.Agreed!

They were coming through here a little faint but very copyable last night. The zoo calling was horrific though.

They're going to be there for 2 weeks. I'm going to wait a couple of days for the feeding frenzy to die down a little.

Just need one Q, after all...

W3WN
05-01-2012, 09:48 AM
how very Vogan.And thanks for all the fish.

W3WN
05-01-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm sorry, but I have to LMAO at this one. Are you trying to discourage people from working them? :lol:

Repeat after me - Work First, Worry Later.

Got them on 3 bands so far - 17 cw, 15 cw and 20 SSB. Mostly insurance QSOs but it's nice to have the challenge points.

I tried 30m last night but boy oh boy... what a zoo! Even with 3 elements and 200 watts it was just too crazy. At one point they were doing over 20kHz split. I guess they had to because it was worse than CQ world war. I shudder to think what the pileups will be like if/when P5 gets activated.Not at all. Just trying to calm a couple of people down.

Besides... look how long it took to get 7O1YGF approved. Ham radio politics at it's finest [/sarcasm]...

& I have it straight from a former ARRL official that the hold-up was the lack of documentation that clearly showed they were legally in the country, let alone an actual license (which never did materialize). But that's not the point.

W3WN
05-01-2012, 09:59 AM
In a few days the pileups will thin down.

However, I like to work DXpeditions on the first day/night for the challenge. But understandably if you have compromise antennas and low power, you may have to QRX a bit.

Propagation favors the west coast better than europe on some bands at some times. Try after 2100z on 15m. As much as when I hate when they do this, they sometimes also work by the numbers.I wish I could have a decent tower and a small beam, but that's just not in the cards right now. You are fortunate to be in a position to have them Ryan, and more power to you for that. Not complaining, mind you, just recognizing reality. (And I do pretty well with what I have, regardless)

W3WN
05-01-2012, 10:11 AM

So, if Yemen can be put on the air, there IS hope for P5 North Korea. Just gotta pay off the right official!Now I'm not going to say that someone in the government got... monetary incentives. That's pure speculation, of course.

But I can tell you this Pat:

I've had many a long conversation with my Dayton ride over the years on this subject, and he's retired Air Force who spent some time in that part of the world while on active duty. For example, he's told me about how the military contingent would arrive in some of these countries in civilian attire to avoid inciting problems, and he's told me quite a bit about how that part of the world worked when he served there. Incentives aren't unheard of... but revealing them can be, ah, risky. So I'd rather not speculate on that for obvious reasons.

One of the issues is that it's easier to say "No!" than "Yes!", since often times, granting approval risks sticking one's neck out... literally.

I'm barely touching on a lot of what he's said, but it would be best to get it from him first-hand, rather than rely on my faulty memory.

But, the reason I bring this up: There is a real concern, IMHO, that 7O6T could run into some of the same, ah, issues that 7O1YGF did.

- First, I'm convinced that the 'YGF guys had proper authorization to operate, from the civilian side of the government.
- Second, I'm reasonably convinced that someone on the military side wasn't initially informed (or claimed as such), and thus never authorized the operation. So when they found out, that started a chain of events that caused the proverbial plug to be pulled.
- Third, the 'YGF guys were most likely promised a physical license from the civilians, but after the military raised a fuss, that promise evaporated as no one was willing to risk the wrath of the military over the alleged transgression. And once they equipment was impounded, and the team was, shall we say, invited to make a retreat to other parts of the world... getting that license became near impossible.

Now, I'm very hopeful that the current 7O guys do have their proverbial ducks in order, and that they do have an actual license or written authorization. That said, until said documentation surfaces, yes, definitely, WFWL, but don't sweat the small stuff either.

W3WN
05-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Fingers crossed! The last thing from NK that was accepted at the DXCC counter was about 400 or so qso's by Martti. I think i would hear them just fine from here. Getting through that pileup would be another matter!
Actually, I think Martti's "demo" QSO's were the first ones accepted for DPRK. P5/4L4FN had a few thousand Q's.

I heard P5/4L4FN more than a few times on the upper bands, but never could get through the pile-ups. So it goes.

Now if you could get an international team together that could convince the sitting government (civilian & military) to let a 3 or 4 week P5 op take place, as a "gesture of good will" and all that other politically correct rubbish... nah, forget it, that's not going to happen anytime soon.

wa6mhz
05-01-2012, 10:40 AM
There was all this sabre rattling over the P5 Missile dud, and then the US canceled the food supplies we had promised.
Had they just let them shoot it (knowing they had their head up their ass and couldn't get it right), then we would be on MUCH better condx with P5. So that bridge is burnt. The US is MOONING P5 right now, so no hope of getting a US based operation there. WHO LEFT are friends with P5? Maybe China? Lotsa good BY ops now. Maybe they can pull it off as long as P5 sees no US ties into the venture. But P5 pretty well has isolated itself from the whole world with their childish ways and seems to stubborn to try and get along.

KJ3N
05-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Well, I must be in a hole. They're barely above the noise floor here on 12m and 17m SSB.

As usual, the idiots calling can't seem to figure out what split operation is. :roll:

W3WN
05-01-2012, 12:25 PM
There was all this sabre rattling over the P5 Missile dud, and then the US canceled the food supplies we had promised.
Had they just let them shoot it (knowing they had their head up their ass and couldn't get it right), then we would be on MUCH better condx with P5. So that bridge is burnt. The US is MOONING P5 right now, so no hope of getting a US based operation there. WHO LEFT are friends with P5? Maybe China? Lotsa good BY ops now. Maybe they can pull it off as long as P5 sees no US ties into the venture. But P5 pretty well has isolated itself from the whole world with their childish ways and seems to stubborn to try and get along....which is why I said an "international" team. To be more specific, consisting of operators not from North America, and probably not from most of Europe as well.

Simply because I don't think the DPRK would let operators from countries representing the West in right now... or if they did, too great a risk of them becoming political hostages.

W5GA
05-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Well, I must be in a hole. They're barely above the noise floor here on 12m and 17m SSB.

As usual, the idiots calling can't seem to figure out what split operation is. :roll:
And the "up" cops are worse than the disease.

N7YA
05-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Had they just let them shoot it (knowing they had their head up their ass and couldn't get it right), then we would be on MUCH better condx with P5. So that bridge is burnt. The US is MOONING P5 right now, so no hope of getting a US based operation there. WHO LEFT are friends with P5? Maybe China? Lotsa good BY ops now. Maybe they can pull it off as long as P5 sees no US ties into the venture. But P5 pretty well has isolated itself from the whole world with their childish ways and seems to stubborn to try and get along.

Maybe they will forbid the ops to make W contacts as a stipulation. Mandatory log checks and such....their way of mooning us back. Because you just know how much political clout we hams have in the states. :lol:

Anyway, im listening to the 7O right now, solid signal, but the pile, the people who dont know what spilt means and the cops yelling at them for it, are all horrendous. I am going to wait, like i usually have to. :yes:

N7YA
05-01-2012, 03:52 PM

I dont mind one "up"...not 25 "UP LID" in a row.

KA9MOT
05-01-2012, 05:31 PM
7O6T is on 17M right now.... 18.145.00 listening up ^^^^^ (The usual 5KHz) Bunch of morons calling him on 145 and a bunch of others telling them how stupid they are... :lol:
If they get stronger I may try........

KA9MOT
05-01-2012, 05:34 PM
HAW! W2JUQ just got called a dummy! :rofl:

KA9MOT
05-01-2012, 05:38 PM

The "UP" cops are funny as hell! One guy is handing out 59 reports!

wm3o
05-02-2012, 07:51 AM
I wish I could have a decent tower and a small beam, but that's just not in the cards right now. You are fortunate to be in a position to have them Ryan, and more power to you for that. Not complaining, mind you, just recognizing reality. (And I do pretty well with what I have, regardless)

do you want a tower and beam? i have a tower and beam on the ground in the back yard looking for a good home... 50' of Rohn 25 with a house bracket and Cushcraft A3, ready to go

N7YA
05-02-2012, 07:55 AM
(say yes!)

KC9ECI
05-02-2012, 11:48 AM
I have a tower too. Horizontally polarized. I may get around to putting it up some day. Meanwhile, a couple of trees work just fine.

W3WN
05-02-2012, 01:41 PM
do you want a tower and beam? i have a tower and beam on the ground in the back yard looking for a good home... 50' of Rohn 25 with a house bracket and Cushcraft A3, ready to goDo I want them? Of course I do!

... problem is, I have no way of getting them from there to here, and I have no spare shekels to give you right now. (A good chunk of my Dayton $$$ is going into car inspection costs in about an hour)

wa6mhz
05-02-2012, 01:44 PM
I am getting sick of my roof towers. Too hard to work on once put up. But I DO get 35 free Feet with a 2 story house!

NQ6U
05-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Pat, did you ever sell that big tower you posted on Craig's List?

wa6mhz
05-02-2012, 02:57 PM
News to me! WHAT big tower? I have never posted on Craigs list. Wonder if someone is SPOOFING me? If I had a big tower, it would be UP with an antenna on it!

NQ6U
05-02-2012, 03:06 PM
News to me! WHAT big tower? I have never posted on Craigs list. Wonder if someone is SPOOFING me? If I had a big tower, it would be UP with an antenna on it!

Okay, my mistake, sorry. Some time back I saw a listing from someone in Crest selling an 80' tower. I just assumed it was you since Crest isn't that big and you are the only ham I know from there.

W1GUH
05-02-2012, 03:38 PM
how very Vogan.

And we can all be thankful that it was, mercifully, NOT poetry!

W1GUH
05-02-2012, 03:41 PM

Ahh...but the bw and "get the word out" advantages are, to me, well worth the effort of at least tolerating it. Don't do CW often -- I'd rather yak on a mic than work a key, but once in a while I'll venture down to the low end of the band & have some enjoyable CW contacts. And it's a must during contests. Every time I get hoarse in a contest I appreciate CW more!

But, mileage varies all over the map on this. Not meant to stir up anything.

KG4NEL
05-02-2012, 06:46 PM
do you want a tower and beam? i have a tower and beam on the ground in the back yard looking for a good home... 50' of Rohn 25 with a house bracket and Cushcraft A3, ready to go

If I had a place to bolt it on, I'd be taking you up on that :(

W5GA
05-03-2012, 02:23 AM
And it's a must during contests. Every time I get hoarse in a contest I appreciate CW more!
That's why they invented sound cards with a mic input! ;) Now, I just gotta learn how to use mine so I don't get hoarse in contests.

W5GA
05-03-2012, 02:26 AM
Actually, I think Martti's "demo" QSO's were the first ones accepted for DPRK. P5/4L4FN had a few thousand Q's.
I feel sorry for my oldest brother (K6XT). He's got 'em all...except P5. He's got a real, live Romeo Stepenenko card for NK (P5RS7).

N7YA
05-03-2012, 05:53 AM
Thats a very familiar call, im quite sure ive worked him...Your brother, that is.

KJ3N
05-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Will have to check the online log later, but:

7O6T 24.945/955 16:19 05/03/2012

:agree:

wm3o
05-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Do I want them? Of course I do!

... problem is, I have no way of getting them from there to here, and I have no spare shekels to give you right now. (A good chunk of my Dayton $$$ is going into car inspection costs in about an hour)

we'll talk at Dayton...

wm3o
05-03-2012, 12:39 PM

SCH-WEET!

N7YA
05-03-2012, 04:18 PM
we'll talk at Dayton...

This deal is landing in your lap, Ron! Get the tower and run that 160 fractal tower that Chip, W1WY was always talking about. :lol: I just looked at his Zed profile, by the way, wow....lots to read!

wa6mhz
05-03-2012, 04:29 PM
I feel sorry for my oldest brother (K6XT). He's got 'em all...except P5. He's got a real, live Romeo Stepenenko card for NK (P5RS7).

ART??? He was at Visalia a few weeks ago, Know him very well. He used to be in our San Diego DX Club before he moved to CO.

W3WN
05-03-2012, 05:29 PM
we'll talk at Dayton...
Yes, we will.

And it's a good thing that I'll be riding to & from with K3AIR. It's nice having a real DX'er & contester not just your friend, but your lawyer... who knows communications law... and how to get a tower up legally...

W3WN
05-03-2012, 05:32 PM
This deal is landing in your lap, Ron! Get the tower and run that 160 fractal tower that Chip, W1YW was always talking about. :lol: I just looked at his Zed profile, by the way, wow....lots to read!Yes, but if I build a fractal antenna & use that term, Chippy will sue me. Who needs the aggravation, anyway?

(I manage to irk him. I refuse to call him "Chip". To me, Chip is (ex)N3BAO, an old friend from college, now N3IW. Since W1YW is not a friend, I call him "Dr. Cohen." )

N7YA
05-03-2012, 07:09 PM
I have done everything i could to insult him directly. I never really cared for pompacity.

And yes, he has threatened to sue me too. :lol:

wm3o
05-03-2012, 09:58 PM
This deal is landing in your lap, Ron! Get the tower and run that 160 fractal tower that Chip, W1WY was always talking about. :lol: I just looked at his Zed profile, by the way, wow....lots to read!

it's not free, there is a nominal cost, but it pretty darn cheap ;)

N7YA
05-04-2012, 03:48 AM
Still sounds like a great deal!

W3WN
05-04-2012, 07:34 AM
Still sounds like a great deal!It is. The shekels I can come up with, post-Dayton. Transport is going to be the issue. 5 sections of Rohn 25, an A-3, and misc. other items will NOT fit comfortably in the back of a 1999 Olds Alero 4 door.

N7YA
05-04-2012, 07:42 AM
If i were close...and this were july, i'd offer to use my new truck to move it to your place.

But im not...and it isnt, so its more of a post to brag about i truck i dont yet have. Sorry. :(

wa6mhz
05-04-2012, 08:03 AM
I hafta pass up all kinds of "COME AND GET IT" deals on Towers and antennas simply because I don't have access to a truck. There seems to be a deal like that every week down here in SoCal. Alotta towers and antennas are getting into the hands of new Hams that want to explore HF. Most are from Silent Key deals where they want to sell the house and the antenna just needs to be GONE!

WØTKX
05-04-2012, 09:20 AM
I just missed out on a deal like that. Now, I am a proud owner of a bigass trailer, so it never happens again.

KA9MOT
05-04-2012, 10:34 AM
If i were close...and this were july, i'd offer to use my new truck to move it to your place.

But im not...and it isnt, so its more of a post to brag about i truck i dont yet have. Sorry. :(

So........what did you get?

KJ3N
05-04-2012, 12:39 PM

They busted my call. They have KG3N.

Fuck...

W3WN
05-04-2012, 01:09 PM
They busted my call. They have KG3N.

Fuck...Well, if you don't get another Q, ask KG3N to verify that he wasn't operating at that time & frequency, and then inform the QSL manager of what happened.

Randy's email is, allegedly, kg3n@netrax.net

W3WN
05-04-2012, 01:10 PM
The team was coming through on 30 last night, around 0200 - 0400, pretty strong, on or about 10104.

Unfortunately, for most of that time, there was at least two carriers on top of them, and at least two other guys sending a continual string of dit-dahs zero beat with them. Schmucks.

How sick and twisted some sad little people are.

W5GA
05-04-2012, 01:44 PM
I was calling them on 12m this morning, couldn't break the EU wall. The crowd was surprisingly well behaved.

wm3o
05-04-2012, 03:58 PM
K3LID worked them first call on 20 CW 100 w. i shit you not.

as for the tower - it is here when you are ready to come get it. i can always find you a tower for a good deal.

N7YA
05-04-2012, 04:22 PM
So........what did you get?

It will be an F-150. Right now, im looking at the XLT, but we are waiting a few months to pay off our furniture and a couple of small loans...should be by july. Plus, we just refinanced my current Nissan, while the credit union says its ok to buy a new one, it just looks better to get a few payments under our belt first, perhaps a slightly better interest rate and higher limit.

My credit is already solid, but paying off a credit card always looks good when making another big purchase. This could allow me to look at a Lariat if i wanted. Ill cross that bridge when i get to it. :)

W5GA
05-07-2012, 02:02 AM
Just so everybody knows - 7O6T is already approved for DXCC credit.

DXCC NEWS. Bill Moore, NC1L, ARRL Awards Branch Manager, reports that the following operations are approved for DXCC credit:
7O6T - Yemen; Current Operations

Courtesy - Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin

N7YA
05-07-2012, 03:00 AM
Ooooooh....just need to break the wall.

wa6mhz
05-07-2012, 11:27 AM
If there is a WARC BAND BEAM at Dayton, I am bringing it HOME! The Wife can take a GREYHOUND home!

W3WN
05-07-2012, 11:54 AM
If there is a WARC BAND BEAM at Dayton, I am bringing it HOME! The Wife can take a GREYHOUND home!Can you say "Log Periodic"?

No?

How about "hex beam"?

wm3o
05-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Mosley TA53M has served me well so far.

KC9ECI
05-07-2012, 05:40 PM
If there is a WARC BAND BEAM at Dayton, I am bringing it HOME! The Wife can take a GREYHOUND home!

http://www.steppir.com/

W5GA
05-07-2012, 10:53 PM
http://www.steppir.com/
I put one of those up for a local ham. NEVER AGAIN! What an over weight behemoth! Not to mention being a real erector set. The 4 el. version is >100 pounds.

W3WN
05-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Well, I almost worked him...

He's on 30 right now (10.103.9 listening up), called him, and he started to come back to me... definitely to W3W OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

One of the jammers picked that moment to zero beat him with a long, strong, wide carrier. Great.

Well, I took a chance and answered him anyway. He started to acknowledge, but the tuner came back, along with about 4 stations sending CW on top of him. One pair were real cute... one was sending UP, ASS, FU, and so forth... the other was answering "UP 599, ASS 599..." you get the idea.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

wm3o
05-09-2012, 06:45 AM
One of the jammers picked that moment to zero beat him with a long, strong, wide carrier. Great.

Well, I took a chance and answered him anyway. He started to acknowledge, but the tuner came back, along with about 4 stations sending CW on top of him. One pair were real cute... one was sending UP, ASS, FU, and so forth... the other was answering "UP 599, ASS 599..." you get the idea.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

this is why we need Element 1 restored. it would keep these clowns off the bands since they would have to know Morse code. wait, this was CW. hrm.

W3WN
05-09-2012, 07:14 AM
this is why we need Element 1 restored. it would keep these clowns off the bands since they would have to know Morse code. wait, this was CW. hrm.Element 1 won't be restored. The FCC has no interest in doing so. Unfortunately. But that's another story for another thread & another time.

I had an email from W3WH last night, asking me if I'd gotten through... he'd heard the 7O op call me back. So there's a smidgen of hope that it's in the log...

wa6mhz
05-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Last night EVERYONE ELSE here in SoCal worked them on 20SSB. EVERYONE ELSE but ME that is. I STILL couldn't hear him.
Guys with dipoles or hamsticks heard him 5x9. NOT A PEEP for me!

SO I think someone has put a GIANT RF CHOKE on my property. I am losing 60-100dB of signal. I tried multiple antennas and various radios. MAYBE the mountaintop is made of IRON and that is SEVERELY ANTENUATIONG my RX and TX Signals. Something is wrong, and I can't figure it out. I have only 3 more shots and the gambit is UP! Tonight, Friday and all day Saturday. Then, I am on my way to Dayton. I am PRAYING someone along the way will allow me to stop by their house and use their rig for a few MINUTES to make a contact. They are 59+ to EVERYWHERE ELSE in the WORLD but CREST, where they a ZIP!!!! I can't hear the 6O0CW either. But I DID work a VP9 last night. And the night before I worked a T88TF out in Palau. So It kinda works, like I am using a CANTENNA for an antenna.

N7YA
05-09-2012, 08:59 AM
I havent heard them in days...i havent even heard any pileups for them. Last time i did hear them, it wasnt loud, but the pileup was snarling. Im getting a little nervous that i may miss this operation completely. The best signals i heard from them were last week on 15 and 17, about 579 peak. No way i was breaking that wall, however. The bands are all but dead here at the moment. Absolutely terrible conditions this cycle, im working stuff, but its been a dud so far.

Kind of a bummer. Theres still 6 days left, hopefully i can catch them in the open before the masses and lids decend on them.

wm3o
05-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Element 1 won't be restored.

so the bands will continue to fall into the hands of the great unwashed and jamming and poor operating will continue unabated because of it. good thing we can retreat to the CW portions which will be immune to such problems.

W3WN
05-09-2012, 10:40 AM
so the bands will continue to fall into the hands of the great unwashed and jamming and poor operating will continue unabated because of it. good thing we can retreat to the CW portions which will be immune to such problems.Do I detect a note of sarcasm there, bunky?

In any event, if you want to talk about this, let's not hijack this thread. Create a new one, please.

W5GA
05-09-2012, 10:58 AM
I havent heard them in days...i havent even heard any pileups for them. Last time i did hear them, it wasnt loud, but the pileup was snarling. Im getting a little nervous that i may miss this operation completely. The best signals i heard from them were last week on 15 and 17, about 579 peak. No way i was breaking that wall, however. The bands are all but dead here at the moment. Absolutely terrible conditions this cycle, im working stuff, but its been a dud so far.

Kind of a bummer. Theres still 6 days left, hopefully i can catch them in the open before the masses and lids decend on them.
It's sort of like retail stores....location, location, location. This cycle hasn't been stellar, but I've put 13 all time new ones in the log since putting an antenna up in late January.

W5GA
05-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Interesting write up by CNN on Socotra.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/04/travel/socotra-island-yemen-wildlife/index.html?iref=obinsite

KJ3N
05-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Let's see if they get it right this time.

7O6T 05/11/2012 17M 21:58

KA9MOT
05-11-2012, 05:11 PM

Frequency?

KJ3N
05-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Frequency?

18.145/155

KA9MOT
05-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Grassy ass mi amigo!

Ahhhh.... I hear nothing but noise.....think I'll set here all night until I hear something!

W3WN
05-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Ah, Steve, I hate to tell you this...

Finally got them tonight. 15 CW right before UTC midnight, 20 CW shortly thereafter.

No jammers tonight, at least not when I was on. Pileups had thinned out. In fact, I worked them twice on 20... the first time, I accidentally dropped a dit on my call, and I couldn't get them to correct it, but I got them again a few minutes later.

Now, I do have to admit that I wasn't at my shack. I was over at Bill W3WH's, helping him recover his laptop data, and he had his K3 on. He got them for the first time yesterday, and picked up a few more band slots today, so what the heck. The good news is, I have a witness! I think he was more thrilled about it than I was!

Hang in there.

KJ3N
05-12-2012, 07:18 AM

Looks like they got it right this time. Online log confirmed.

TESLA
05-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Finally, got through mobile

100 watts on 20m from the car, 5/9

W5GA
05-13-2012, 08:09 AM
Finally, got through mobile

100 watts on 20m from the car, 5/9
Expeditions are always 59

WV6Z
05-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Do I detect a note of sarcasm there, bunky?

In any event, if you want to talk about this, let's not hijack this thread. Create a new one, please.

This is his thread, he started it..... remember? I suppose he can take it in any direction that he sees fit. ;)

TESLA
05-13-2012, 09:20 AM
Expeditions are always 59

That has NOT been my experience mobile, your mileage may vary. But thanks for the kudos!!!!

PA5COR
05-13-2012, 03:15 PM
1.843 now, and a zoo here, not even trying to work them.

N2RJ
05-14-2012, 10:54 AM
That has NOT been my experience mobile, your mileage may vary. But thanks for the kudos!!!!

"59" is not a signal report. It is punctuation.

W3WN
05-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Expeditions are always 59That has NOT been my experience mobile, your mileage may vary. But thanks for the kudos!!!!Clearly the '59' and '599' RS(T) reports have devolved over the last few years. They're essentially meaningless "markers" or "tokens" used to indicate nothing more than a basic acknowledgement of contact.

Blame that on the demands of DXers to have the DXpeditions work as many as possible, as efficiently as possible; and the needs of contesters to simplify and automate computer logging for the sake of accuracy, efficiency, & maximizing rates.

But you know what? If it troubles you, then when you work the other guy, give him an honest signal report. Frankly, I do it... and sometimes it throws the other op for a moment, because he (or she) wasn't expecting anything but the routine. The good ops, though, will log it and move on... and most will appreciate an honest report, even if it's unexpected.

W4AMP
05-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Got em on 20,17, and 12.

W4AMP
05-14-2012, 03:51 PM
missed some sarcasm. whoops

W2NAP
05-14-2012, 03:59 PM
ive yet to hear them. and if I did doubt I could work them.

N7YA
05-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Thats the problem with my setup, i heard them a few times, but no other time. The piles were huge, i just couldnt break them. Gave it a good shot though.

K4WGE
08-07-2013, 03:46 PM
"59" is not a signal report. It is punctuation.

99% of posts here are attempts at humor. Yours actually is funny.

WX7P
08-07-2013, 03:56 PM
99% of posts here are attempts at humor. Yours actually is funny.

Li'l Ryan's act is "funny" overall. But not in a good way.

W3WN
08-07-2013, 06:12 PM
The Zombie Thread has been revived!