PDA

View Full Version : Deerfield next weekend!

W1GUH
04-29-2012, 06:34 PM
IMHO, better than Dayton, unless you're looking for Drake or Collins. It's a lot more laid-back and full of very friendly people; you can camp overnight and save expenses, it's partially in the woods, not a hot, hard, asphalt parking lot, admission is cheaper, etc., etc., etc. Oh, and an informal estimate seems to say the flea market is just as big. And it might hold an edge for BA's. Lots of contemporary equipment, too.

Details here. (http://www.near-fest.com/)

I'll most likely arrive Friday morning, but there's a significant chance I'll do the "camp out next door" thing Thurs. night. C'mon up! You'll really enjoy it.

TESLA
04-29-2012, 06:49 PM
If anyone needs information about local hotels they can PM me.

TESLA
05-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Great show! If any of you went Friday or Saturday morning you may have given me money, I was collecting at the gate :) Kurt W1OBQ and I worked the opening both days in lieu of the Shriners. Bought a ton of great stuff and just got home. Anyone else go?

ab1ga
05-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Great show! If any of you went Friday or Saturday morning you may have given me money, I was collecting at the gate :) Kurt W1OBQ and I worked the opening both days in lieu of the Shriners. Bought a ton of great stuff and just got home. Anyone else go?

Had to work Friday until noon, then got tied up some more and didn't make it to the fest until 1400 or so. Looked around a bit for an aged hippie, but they were either not old enough or not enough hippie. Actually got a friend to look up 'GUH's Zed page to get a good picture, but no dice.

Left the HT at home, duh, and borrowed one at the gate to check .52 for any sign of Paul, but zilch. We probably walked past each other a dozen times without recognizing each other.

Went to the market on the way home and the car wouldn't start. Today felt awful, stay away from the hot sausages!

Got my money's worth, but whenever I go to Deerfield it's cold and rainy, so I'll do other hams a favor and stay home from now on.

W1GUH
05-06-2012, 12:25 PM

Sounds like it may have been you that took my money a little after lunch time on Friday. I was in a white Celica & paid for inside parking and camping. I offered the $5 change from one of the permits for the Shriners but was told that they weren't there then & he couldn't accept it. Ah, well...

Had a great time, especially seeing long-time friends, mostly from the AM window, who I look up every year. So good to see Tim practically everywhere.

'ga:

Today felt awful, stay away from the hot sausages!

Angelino's? That sausage smelled SO GOOD I was almost tempted. But it would have ripped me up inside. I prefer the Deerfield Community Church eating place. Good food and very nice people behind the counter. AND....they serve genuine pure maple syrup for breakfast. Very impressive.

k1oik
05-07-2012, 05:15 AM
Angelino's? That sausage smelled SO GOOD I was almost tempted. But it would have ripped me up inside. I prefer the Deerfield Community Church eating place. Good food and very nice people behind the counter. AND....they serve genuine pure maple syrup for breakfast. Very impressive.

The church increases prices every Nearfest, they are getting higher than Angelino's

N8YX
05-07-2012, 10:44 AM
We used to have Deerfield-quality 'fests in this area..and the only ones remaining are filled with the same decades-old computer parts, VHS tapes and smoked-in/smoked-on/hacked-up CB rigs as last year's event. Maybe there will be something nice show up but I'm not in the mood to burn $4/gal gas to find out...not when there's Ebay.

Breezeshooters I'll do but most of the Ohio hamfests are a total waste of time.

W1GUH
05-08-2012, 09:53 AM
The church increases prices every Nearfest, they are getting higher than Angelino's

Ya gets what ya pays for?