PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Reccomendations

n2ize
04-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Okay, as it turns out my dad needs a new desktop computer. So far he has checked out dell, Compaq, HP and seems interested in the Dell I-620 or something similar. Basically a 2-4 core processor, 4 to 8 Gb of RAM, 500 GB - 1 TB hard drive sound, video, etc.His needs are pretty modest, he will use it mostly on Linux and mostly for surfing the web, playing audio and video, maybe running a few simple games and apps. Occasionally he may run some Windows apps which is why I'll make it a dual boot system. He is looking to spend $500 or less.

Any ideas or recommendations ? What is good out there these days ? Any preferred brands or combos ? Remember, this will mainly be used for basic home needs. Nothing fancy like 3D gaming or super high video processing or real time audio/video or anything like that. Just a basic home/office system for general needs. I am mostly a software guy so I tend to fall behind on whats the latest in hardware.

W1GUH
04-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Yea, I've got a recommendation. Lose the bulky desktop and get him a laptop from Asus. They seem to be the champs in performance/price, and they're great reliable machines. He'll absolutely love the convenience! Their low to medium end laptops are very affordable.

(Hey....ya gotta know me well enough by now to expect that response from me.)

N1LAF
04-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Dell Auctions: http://www.dellauction.com
Dell Outlet: http://www.dell.com/outlet

W1GUH
04-29-2012, 06:07 PM
IF you want to deal with the current incarnation of that company. The problems I encountered trying to buy an AW machine from them indicated that there's some bad news there. Besides, it seems as if buying over the counter (laptop or desktop) at Best Buy beats directly ordering. YMMV, of course.

n2ize
04-30-2012, 05:57 PM
I am on the new computer right now. It's a Dell I 620 but purchased through MicroCenter. So far so good. First thing I've done so far is download Firefox so I don't have to use that IE junk. Now I am going to install Chrome and Opera as well. Then, either tonight or tomorrow I'm going to put the Linux on this thing so we no longer have to deal with this Microsoft crap.