PDA

View Full Version : Concert time!

N7YA
04-28-2012, 06:02 PM
I was sitting here listening to my iTunes, perusing though Yes' live album, Yessongs, and noticing just how killer the drummer, Alan White, really is. Bill Bruford got the glory, but White has been with them since the early 70's and is bad ass.

So i started wondering whatever happened to him. I did a websearch and saw pics of Yes now, Egads! Alan White looks like Jimmy Buffets dad! Steve Howe looks like an elderly elf from LOTR and Chris Squire....hes just scary. Even the "new guy", Geoff Downes is getting up there a bit....But i also noticed that they just played a show in san Diego last week! I needed to do some more searching. Keep in mind, Chris Squire is a hero of mine for obvious reasons.

Turns out, they have a new album ('s ok), new singer (Jon Davison from Sky Cries Mary...sounds perfectly like Jon Anderson, just not as irritating) and the rest of the guys are original...and theyre playing Vegas in August...with Procol Harum!

I was going to take my son, but im not sure he is into it, so i asked my wife and shes down with the idea! Tickets are on the way. We bought a house together, 2 cars, travelled, medical things..all sorts of life events. But we have never been to a concert together. I thought thats where many relationships start, but we dont do things by the book. She doesnt care for the self-indulgent style of music that they are, but thinks it would be a cool experience anyway, then i played her a few tracks from 90125, like Owner of a Lonely Heart and Changes..and it clicked, now shes looking forward to it because she recognizes those. No dice on Roundabout, though...come on, its Roundabout! Oh well....

Here are some clips of the last time i saw them. Killer band, really. And this lineup will never be together again. And as old as they are these days, i figure i should see them again in their original form as they are now...Howe, Squire, White, and the completely capable new guys Downes and Davison.

http://www.retroblog.net/2008/02/15/yes-union/

WØTKX
04-28-2012, 07:06 PM
I love that band myself. Seen them twice. Been a while. Roundabout gave me freaking chills when I first heard it. In honor of this post, I have The Gates of Delerium from Relayer cranked up right now.

May your fingers always grok Schindleria Praematurus. :agree:

Just looked it up, they are playing here on my birthday in August. :omg:

N7YA
04-28-2012, 07:13 PM
They are bad ass, i do believe you should get yourself a ticket. Gates Of Delerium used to freak me out as a kid, enough so that i kept playing it over and over.

VK3ZL
04-29-2012, 05:17 AM
I was sitting here listening to my iTunes, perusing though Yes' live album, Yessongs, and noticing just how killer the drummer, Alan White, really is. Bill Bruford got the glory, but White has been with them since the early 70's and is bad ass.

So i started wondering whatever happened to him. I did a websearch and saw pics of Yes now, Egads! Alan White looks like Jimmy Buffets dad! Steve Howe looks like an elderly elf from LOTR and Chris Squire....hes just scary. Even the "new guy", Geoff Downes is getting up there a bit....But i also noticed that they just played a show in san Diego last week! I needed to do some more searching. Keep in mind, Chris Squire is a hero of mine for obvious reasons.

Turns out, they have a new album ('s ok), new singer (Jon Davison from Sky Cries Mary...sounds perfectly like Jon Anderson, just not as irritating) and the rest of the guys are original...and theyre playing Vegas in August...with Procol Harum!

I was going to take my son, but im not sure he is into it, so i asked my wife and shes down with the idea! Tickets are on the way. We bought a house together, 2 cars, travelled, medical things..all sorts of life events. But we have never been to a concert together. I thought thats where many relationships start, but we dont do things by the book. She doesnt care for the self-indulgent style of music that they are, but thinks it would be a cool experience anyway, then i played her a few tracks from 90125, like Owner of a Lonely Heart and Changes..and it clicked, now shes looking forward to it because she recognizes those. No dice on Roundabout, though...come on, its Roundabout! Oh well....

Here are some clips of the last time i saw them. Killer band, really. And this lineup will never be together again. And as old as they are these days, i figure i should see them again in their original form as they are now...Howe, Squire, White, and the completely capable new guys Downes and Davison.

http://www.retroblog.net/2008/02/15/yes-union/

You just took me back to the 70's Adam...I have complete collections of Yes and having nearly forgotten in my old age, what a superb group they were...I just listened to the clips on the link and I will now have to start a new CD collection as all my old records and tapes are probably well past their use by date...I was a huge fan of Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer also Asia and Queen...Those were the days for me, an old hippie in his 70's now, but that music still get's me right there..Put's me "Close to the edge"..

Thanks for the treat....

Bob..VK3ZL..

suddenseer
05-05-2012, 12:05 AM
Adam, I have 90125 on my I phone. Yes is a major ROCK band.

NQ6U
05-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Adam, I have 90125 on my I phone.

Hey, that's my old ZIP Code!

N7YA
05-05-2012, 04:01 AM
Yes is killer! I am looking forward to this show...seems so far away. 90125 is definately better than OU812, and the show 90210. I liked the SNL skit about their mailing code change, where they now have to be 90210-4365. :lol: