PDA

View Full Version : 100 year old photos of NY

w2amr
04-26-2012, 05:23 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2134408/Never-seen-photos-100-years-ago-tell-vivid-story-gritty-New-York-City.html?ICO=most_read_module

W2NAP
04-26-2012, 05:33 PM
cool pics

K7SGJ
04-26-2012, 06:17 PM
Thanks. I enjoy early pictures of major cities.

NQ6U
04-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Love those big-format camera images. As cool as 35mm and digital cameras are, they just can't compete with a Speed Graphic in the hands of someone who knew how to use one.

kf0rt
04-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Absolutely stunning, George.

Dig it, totally.

And, you're right, Carl. (Jeeebus, you understand Speed Graphics, too?)

NQ6U
04-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Absolutely stunning, George.

Dig it, totally.

And, you're right, Carl. (Jeeebus, you understand Speed Graphics, too?)

I had a minor in photography in college, never got a degree, though. Did a bit of large format work with a view camera; that's not to say I could make a Speed Graphic work or anything, but I know about them.

ki4itv
04-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Tried to go to the actual archive and it seems to be down due to traffic.
That was cool George.

n2ize
04-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Interesting thing is that most of the buildings shown in those pictures still exist and still look pretty much the same.

N2RJ
04-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Those few stunningly awesome photos making the rounds are what have been released to the Associated Press.

However, those are just the tip of the iceberg.

A while back the city took photos of every home in the city for tax assessment purposes, and those are now available to the public. It's probably not interesting to a lot of people but if you lived in the city you can see what your home looked like way back when.

In fact it was so popular that the city's servers crashed under the demand.

I wish they had kept the name "Triborough bridge" though. It was nice and historic.

N2RJ
04-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Interesting thing is that most of the buildings shown in those pictures still exist and still look pretty much the same.

A lot of them do, but in some of the disneyfied places not so much. Even in the last 10-12 years that I've been here so much has changed. Even some of my favorite watering holes are now in the ash bin of history, steamrolled by development.

Speaking of which, you know Mars bar was shut down a couple years ago, right?

W3WN
04-27-2012, 10:02 AM
< snip >
I wish they had kept the name "Triborough bridge" though. It was nice and historic.Oh? I didn't know that. What do they call it now?

Pittsburgh got cute about 10 years ago. They renamed the 6th Street Bridge (over the Allegheny River) the Roberto Clemente bridge, since it leads straight to the ballpark. Then they renamed the other 2 of the "3 sisters bridges" -- 7th street is now the Andy Warhol (leads right to the Warhol Museum), 9th street became the Rachel Carson (no idea why they picked her for that one)

Of course, us dumb civilians still call them the 6th, 7th, and 9th street bridges.

N2RJ
04-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Oh? I didn't know that. What do they call it now?

The Robert F. Kennedy Bridge.

the family requested that it be renamed and so it was done.

w2amr
04-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Love those big-format camera images. As cool as 35mm and digital cameras are, they just can't compete with a Speed Graphic in the hands of someone who knew how to use one.My uncle used to shoot weddings in his spare time. He had a 4x5 crown graphic and a 2 1/4 x 31/4 bush pressman. His flash units had about 6 d-cells in them and were huge.

n2ize
04-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Those few stunningly awesome photos making the rounds are what have been released to the Associated Press.

However, those are just the tip of the iceberg.

A while back the city took photos of every home in the city for tax assessment purposes, and those are now available to the public. It's probably not interesting to a lot of people but if you lived in the city you can see what your home looked like way back when.

In fact it was so popular that the city's servers crashed under the demand.

I wish they had kept the name "Triborough bridge" though. It was nice and historic.

most of us who have been around here for a while still call it the Triborough. Some younger folks may not know what we're talking about but we know. Up to a few years ago I knew two people who still called Kennedy Airport by its old name. For those who don't know it was originally called Idlewild.

W3WN
04-27-2012, 12:16 PM
The Robert F. Kennedy Bridge.

the family requested that it be renamed and so it was done.
You're right. No offense to RFK, but... no.

N2RJ
04-27-2012, 02:49 PM
most of us who have been around here for a while still call it the Triborough. Some younger folks may not know what we're talking about but we know. Up to a few years ago I knew two people who still called Kennedy Airport by its old name. For those who don't know it was originally called Idlewild.

I still call it the Triborough. When I lived in Astoria it was a feature of the neighborhood. I can't imagine it not being called the Triborough.