PDA

View Full Version : Gulf waters closed for shrimping, well done B.P....

PA5COR
04-26-2012, 02:47 PM
http://www.stuarthsmith.com/looming-crisis-officials-close-gulf-waters-to-shrimping-as-reports-of-deformed-seafood-intensify

Alarmed by widespread reports of visibly sick, deformed seafood coming out of the Gulf of Mexico, state officials have closed area waters to shrimping this morning (April 23). The waters will be closed indefinitely as scientists run tests in an effort to get a handle on a situation that is fast becoming a full-blown crisis on the Gulf Coast.
The closures – including all waters in the Mississippi Sound, Mobile Bay, areas of Bon Secour, Wolf Bay and Little Lagoon – mark the first official step in responding to increasingly urgent reports from fishermen and scientists of grotesquely disfigured seafood from Louisiana to the Florida panhandle.
The move is yet another major setback for the once-legendary Gulf seafood industry as it continues to struggle under the devastating impact of the BP oil spill, which began in April 2010.
Two years later, reports of severely deformed shrimp with bulging tumors – and no eyes – have become common.

And it’s not just the shrimp. Commercial fishermen are reporting red snapper and grouper riddled with deep lesions and covered with strange black streaks. Highly underdeveloped blue crabs are being pulled up in traps without eyes and claws (see link at bottom to my previous post on seafood deformities).
For those who thought 205 million gallons of oil and 2 million gallons of toxic dispersant weren’t going to have an impact on Gulf seafood, you need to check back in with reality.
As for the impetus for the shrimping closures, consider this from an April 18 Al Jazeera report by Dahr Jamail, who has doggedly covered the BP spill since the early days of the disaster:

Follow the linky for the rest...:shock:

Drill baby drill :roll:

KG4CGC
04-26-2012, 02:57 PM
I've seen quit a few shrimping boats around the Keys. Maybe not unusual but certainly not as productive I would think.

NA4BH
04-26-2012, 03:12 PM
We went deep sea fishing last month in the Gulf. Pulled up one red snapper that had a big sore on his side. The captain said it was the oil.

KC2UGV
04-26-2012, 03:19 PM
We went deep sea fishing last month in the Gulf. Pulled up one red snapper that had a big sore on his side. The captain said it was the oil.

It's just Natural Cycles (tm).

NQ6U
04-26-2012, 03:21 PM
It's just Natural Cycles (tm).

No, it's liberal interference with the invisible hand of the marketplace.

KG4NEL
04-26-2012, 03:33 PM
But...but I felt so safe with those ads from BP reassuring me that everything is fine, the beaches are open...

:D

WØTKX
04-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Now, these are damn good eating if healthy...

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2012/20120426_tigershrimp.html

But there is such a thing as bio-diversity, and it's importance. Sea or land, invasive species take over, and then... Just ask anybody in this region about lodgepole pines, beetle kill (from the fungus), and the inherent fire danger.

PA5COR
04-26-2012, 03:51 PM
In other news today:
Russian Gov’t Radio: “The number of victims has reached one million people today” — Consequences of Chernobyl meltdown are endless and uncontrollable26 years ago today Chernobyl disaster happened.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_04_26/73023009/

Large sections of ground will never be available to mankind anymore.

Whole regions in Russia, Ukraine and Belarus have become unfit for life, and the number of victims has reached one million people today.

Add Fukushima to the equation, and see how good caretakers we are of this little planet, our only home.

N8YX
04-26-2012, 05:01 PM
All's well that ends in the well.

suddenseer
04-26-2012, 05:20 PM
All's well that ends in the well.Quod erat demondstrandum :rofl::rofl::rofl:

kb2vxa
04-26-2012, 05:29 PM
BP was an unmitigated disaster and the ripples in the pond will go on for a long, LONG time. BTW, those tigers aren't shrimp, they're prawns and as usual the one who wrote the article is clueless.

n2ize
04-26-2012, 11:01 PM
http://www.stuarthsmith.com/looming-crisis-officials-close-gulf-waters-to-shrimping-as-reports-of-deformed-seafood-intensify

Alarmed by widespread reports of visibly sick, deformed seafood coming out of the Gulf of Mexico, state officials have closed area waters to shrimping this morning (April 23). The waters will be closed indefinitely as scientists run tests

You mean as Alarmists run tests. we all know that scientists are alarmists and this is merely a natural cycle.

Drill baby drill :roll:

http://www.americantimes.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/sarah-palin.jpg

n2ize
04-26-2012, 11:06 PM
In other news today:
Russian Gov’t Radio: “The number of victims has reached one million people today” — Consequences of Chernobyl meltdown are endless and uncontrollable

26 years ago today Chernobyl disaster happened.

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_04_26/73023009/

Large sections of ground will never be available to mankind anymore.

Whole regions in Russia, Ukraine and Belarus have become unfit for life, and the number of victims has reached one million people today.

Add Fukushima to the equation, and see how good caretakers we are of this little planet, our only home.

From the same article..

and it is impossible to count the exact number of victims. Scientists are still arguing if the number of one million deaths is valid,

Seems to me the article is quoting the Greenpeace figures and not the actual deaths that are based on statistical evidence.

According to detailed studies that I have presented here the areas discussed are quite safe and quite habitable.

PA5COR
04-27-2012, 03:05 AM
We've been there before.
They cite numbers from their own scientists not Greenpeace, at least they realize that the impact is bigger as was told by the former communist USSR.

Not only their scientists figures confirm that, also western scientists confirm the numbers.
Putting your head in the sand doesn't make it go away.

That disaster had more impact here in Western Europe as the USA, now the roles are turned, the Fukushima radio activety is hitting you guy's first after Japan.

N7YA
04-27-2012, 05:04 AM
OBAMA EATS DOGS!!!

And all you libs can do is complain about stupid little things that the liberal media made up to undermine the the greatest nation on earth. Shame on you!

ad4mg
04-27-2012, 06:21 AM
OBAMA EATS DOGS!!!

And all you libs can do is complain about stupid little things that the liberal media made up to undermine the the greatest nation on earth. Shame on you!

Does Obama ever wear a hoodie? If so, he can visit Florida, and save the Koch Brothers a metric shitload of money on the presidential auction in November. :-D

N7YA
04-27-2012, 08:10 AM
Brilliant! You need to run, ill vote for you...i like your lapel pin. :-D

KK4AMI
04-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Hell, I told my wife that you guys are talking about the Gulf being closed for shrimps. She told me "That's all right dear, you can vacation at the Chesapeake this year!":irked:

N2RJ
04-27-2012, 09:47 AM
On a side note, has anyone ever heard about the Kola borehole that was being drilled by the ever so awesome Russians?

Turns out the well drilled by the deepwater horizon was almost as deep.

http://xkcd.com/1040/

W3WN
04-27-2012, 10:08 AM
BP was an unmitigated disaster and the ripples in the pond will go on for a long, LONG time. BTW, those tigers aren't shrimp, they're prawns and as usual the one who wrote the article is clueless.There was something in the paper the other day; one of the BP engineers was charged with destroying evidence, IIRC. Specifically that he was deleting files and emails pertinent to the ungoing and/or potential litigation, in defiance of direct instructions from BP's legal team not to.

Now, was he covering up his own complicity, or the company's? (Or both. I suspect both)

ki4itv
04-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Brazil seems to have the right approach.

n2ize
04-27-2012, 11:58 AM
We've been there before.
They cite numbers from their own scientists not Greenpeace, at least they realize that the impact is bigger as was told by the former communist USSR.

Not only their scientists figures confirm that, also western scientists confirm the numbers.
Putting your head in the sand doesn't make it go away.

That disaster had more impact here in Western Europe as the USA, now the roles are turned, the Fukushima radio activety is hitting you guy's first after Japan.

Uh, once again from your article

and it is impossible to count the exact number of victims. Scientists are still arguing if the number of one million deaths is valid,

Most unbiased scientists without an anti-nuke or pro-nuke agenda agree, the number is nowhere near 1-million.

PA5COR
04-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Yep, they only counted the deathtoll in the USSR, not even took in account the heavily radiated parts of the EU and to some extend the USA.
Radiation is a silly thing, it travels around the globe if it is expelled in the air as hot particles see Chernobyl and Fukushima and TMI and.....you get the idea me thinks.

Follow up on that article.
To get a sense of just what those tens of millions live at risk of, take a look at these photographs by award winning photographer Paul Fusco. Earlier this month I had a the honor of participating in the fourth Schuneman Symposium held at the Scripps School of Journalism at Ohio University. Among the speakers was Fusco, an extraordinary MAGNUM photographer who traveled to the Ukraine to see the legacy of Chernobyl after twenty years. Fusco expected to stay two weeks. He stayed for two months, following parents, children, nurses and cancer patients.“It changed my life. I couldn’t leave. It was so immense in its implications. There is so much damage to so many people in so many ways…” says Fusco. [...]

My first reaction was I was looking at a different race of people because the damage was so incredible.
As is Chernobyl, Fukushima is an ongoing disaster emitting hot particles by the shedload in the air, ground and seawater.

Audit Confirms EPA Radiation Monitors Broken During Fukushima Crisishttp://www.nti.org/gsn/article/audit-confirms-epa-radiation-monitors-broken-during-fukushima-crisis/
The April 19 report (http://www.epa.gov/oig/reports/2012/20120419-12-P-0417.pdf) by the EPA Inspector General’s Office also casts further doubt on the agency’s already controversial claims that radiation from Fukushima did not pose any public health threat on U.S. soil, said Daniel Hirsch, a nuclear policy lecturer at the University of California (Santa Cruz) and president of Committee to Bridge the Gap.

“On March 11, 2011, at the time of the Japan nuclear incident, 25 of the 124 installed RadNet monitors, or 20 percent, were out of service for an average of 130 days,” the report says. “In addition, six of the 12 RadNet monitors we sampled (50 percent) had gone over eight weeks without a filter change, and two of those for over 300 days,” the report adds, noting that EPA policy calls on operators to change the filters twice per week.

More and more comes up in the open, while you were kept unknown the detection system was broken, only measurements of people of Uni's and private persons showed the real high level of radiation and hot particles dumped in the USA.

KC2UGV
04-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Radiation is a silly thing, it travels around the globe if it is expelled in the air as hot particles see Chernobyl and Fukushima and TMI and.....you get the idea me thinks.

Yes, it is a funny thing. Something we have been exposed to since this planet was a ring of dust, and continue to be exposed to.

N7YA
04-27-2012, 04:18 PM
I thought we were talking about shrimping.

Personally, i think sucking toes is nasty.

PA5COR
04-27-2012, 04:30 PM
I have no problem with space based radiation, i do have a problem with the adding up human based hot particles from atomic bomb testing, and the high number of nuke powerplants that had catastrophic accidents as well 75% of the USA nuke plants leaking tritium and other radio activity as a sieve.
All that radiation is accumulative, and there is no safe level of radiation.
The nuke plants have proved to be the most expensive failiure mankind ever put on the earth.

Yes, it is a funny thing. Something we have been exposed to since this planet was a ring of dust, and continue to be exposed to.

WØTKX
04-27-2012, 05:25 PM
I thought we were talking about shrimping.

Personally, i think sucking toes is nasty.

http://casualfurday.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/toejam-450x298.jpg

N7YA
04-27-2012, 05:43 PM

n2ize
04-27-2012, 06:25 PM
I have no problem with space based radiation, i do have a problem with the adding up human based hot particles from atomic bomb testing, and the high number of nuke powerplants that had catastrophic accidents as well 75% of the USA nuke plants leaking tritium and other radio activity as a sieve.
All that radiation is accumulative, and there is no safe level of radiation.

Well, since you feel that "there is no safe level of radiation" then you should be extremely concerned about radiation from space, natural background radiation, electromagnetic radiation, solar radiation, radiation from smoke alarms, medical radiation, etc. Radiation is radiation and it's been a part of our world since the beginning of the universe and if ye say tis "no safe level" then alas the world is doomed.

The nuke plants have proved to be the most expensive failiure mankind ever put on the earth.

Hmmm. France uses them extensively and it works for them. All in all there have been relatively few major nuclear accidents related to civilian energy production.

KJ3N
04-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Gulf waters closed for shrimping, well done B.P....

http://i2.asntown.net/h2//picdumps/11/2/12/amazing-funny-pictures60.jpg

kb2vxa
04-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Back to oily shrimp for a moment, BP has an appalling track record breaking safety rules resulting in disaster. Remember the 2005 Texas City refinery explosion?

N2RJ
04-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Back to oily shrimp for a moment, BP has an appalling track record breaking safety rules resulting in disaster. Remember the 2005 Texas City refinery explosion?

Are there any of the big oil companies that don't have an environmental disaster to their name?

KJ3N
04-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Are there any of the big oil companies that don't have an environmental disaster to their name?

Unlikely. I believe, however, if you do a little research, you'll find BP is far and away the leader in disasters.

N2RJ
04-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Unlikely. I believe, however, if you do a little research, you'll find BP is far and away the leader in disasters.

I thought that title belonged to XOM.

n2ize
04-27-2012, 09:02 PM

Compared to the oil industry the nuclear industry is far safer.

PA5COR
04-28-2012, 04:04 AM
^Not really...

N7YA
04-28-2012, 04:45 AM
Havent heard of any solar or wind farm disasters lately. Or ever, really.

ad4mg
04-28-2012, 05:22 AM

These things can be done safely if the corporations want to. Pharmaceuticals, for example. I work at many big pharma plants that produce raw chemicals for medications. They use some of the most dangerous solvents known to man, and their track records (at least here) seem pretty good. One plant I do work at produces "Klucel", the slippery substance that makes many pills easy to swallow. That plant previously produced solid rocket fuel, and they still use some of the same solvents.

Big oil has a bad track record because they put profits above everything else, totally unnecessary considering they produce a commodity that they virtually hold a monopoly on.

kf0rt
04-28-2012, 06:35 AM
Compared to the oil industry the nuclear industry is far safer.

I wonder how the stats would look if they were based on disasters per unit of energy produced.

AB5S
04-28-2012, 06:49 AM
Oil spills happened a lot in the 1940s, thanks to the German Navy.
Mother Nature cleaned them up over time.
But Mother Nature did not use 2 million gallons of toxic dispersant
in order to please howling news reporters, walking dog turds (Senators)
and a lemming-herd public that barely has the mental horsepower to wipe its own ass.
That stuff is waaaaay more poison than oil. The Almighty only knows how long
it will take it to settle-out of the food chain. If it ever does.

N7YA
04-28-2012, 06:56 AM
I have to agree. I was always left scratching my head over the massive use of more chemicals to combat the already huge amount of chemicals. Whats next? Lighting it all on fire? Already been done, wasnt a good idea.

ki4itv
04-28-2012, 08:22 AM
Yup, looks like they've compounded the real danger by trying to mask the visible signs of the spill with Corexit.

Studies have found that the dispersant used to break up the oil slick, Corexit, can be toxic to the bacteria that would normally gobble up oil in the gulf. That's why the oil is still showing up two years later, he said. When Corexit bound with the oil, it prevented bacteria from consuming it.
http://www.tampabay.com/news/environment/water/article1225134.ece

KC2UGV
04-28-2012, 09:42 AM

But, look at the silicon and iron mining accidents. Along with the issues of siliocis (Potter's Lung)...

Everything we do has dangerous impacts. Some, more dangerous than others.

N2RJ
04-28-2012, 04:29 PM

Some of the wind turbines catch on fire, or the kill birds.

The problem with them is not safety though. Wind doesn't blow all the time and even partial shading can reduce a solar array's output.

Also none of these can effectively power a car for more than about 100 miles or so. It won't even last a day's commute for me.

WØTKX
04-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Since 1998 in CO...

http://www.xcelenergy.com/About_Us/Our_Company/Power_Generation/Ponnequin_Wind_Farm

http://www.fsvfolks.org/files/ponnequinsunset.jpg

ki4itv
04-28-2012, 04:52 PM

The problem with them is not safety though. Wind doesn't blow all the time and even partial shading can reduce a solar array's output.

Also none of these can effectively power a car for more than about 100 miles or so. It won't even last a day's commute for me.

Yep, and the fact that they don't work every minute of every day means we should not use them at all to ease our dependence on carbon based fuels.
That's great thinking! Yessiree Bob. Gotta toss that idea out!

The windows in my old house used to kill birds, so we boarded them up and lived in the basking light of energy consuming artificial illumination.
That's how we smart folks do it you know.

N7YA
04-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Houses catch fire too. And i bet hunters kill more birds.

While true, sun doesnt always shine, but some energy can still be gleaned from a cloudy day, and the wind doesnt always blow. Theres always hydro, but no everybody lives near water...i understand these challenges. But they are challenges, why do we have to jump through hoops in order to explore these options further and try to lead the way in new technology in the area of energy efficiency?

The likely culprit, the only culprit, is existing industries not wanting to take a profit loss so they allocate money to protect shareholder interests, tie things up on the governmental level, buy out patents and lock them away, ridicule the idea so people consider these ideas not viable, or at the very least, creates a sense of indifference to them by making it a socio-political alignment thing instead of a way for our nation to move forward, clean things up and save a little money.

Instead, folks have to shovel out tens of thousands of dollars themselves in order to set these things up for their one house. We are a bit behind the curve and bickering about it only furthers the delay and keeps our attention on eachother and not on the problem....a common practice these days.

kf0rt
04-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Wind farms are big biz in tornado country:

http://www.kansasenergy.org/wind_project_map_utility.htm

If you ever drive east far enough on I-70, you'll see about 10 miles of turbines just west of Junction City, IIRC. I don't recommend the drive, though. Take some No-Doz and a radar detector.

N7YA
04-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Good advice since thats likely the exact path we are going to take when we move east. A couple of libs from the west driving through gods country with guitars and a couple of cats...we will be shot on the spot! At least it will be a big Ford truck and ill have guns too. :lol:

kf0rt
04-28-2012, 05:27 PM
If I ever do that again (please, no), there's some pictures I want to take (sadly, westbound as I recall). Out in the middle of nowhere on I-70 there's a big porn / adult toy store - no joke. Just before (or after, I forget) there's a big billbord tellin' ya that you'll go to hell for that. I was laffin' so hard, I about got in a wreck.

'Course, that was years ago...

Speaking of Fords... On one trip coming back, there was a big pickup pulling a Toyota on a trailer. Sign on the pickup said "XYZ Toyota" (I forget the dealer's name). Pickup was an F-250 - no shit. :doh:

ki4itv
04-28-2012, 05:28 PM
Good advice since thats likely the exact path we are going to take when we move east. A couple of libs from the west driving through gods country with guitars and a couple of cats...we will be shot on the spot! At least it will be a big Ford truck and ill have guns too. :lol:
You moving back to Maine?

KC2UGV
04-28-2012, 05:30 PM

You can never have a low-sun, and low-wind area. The physics of weather do not permit it.

If you have little sun, you have plenty of wind. If you have little wind, you have lots of sun. A combination of both, along with other solutions, such as biomass electrical conversion, hydroelectric, and nuclear will handily solve the production issue.

And, 98% of Americans do no drive 100 miles in a day. And, the 2% that do? They can still use hybrids, or highly efficient gasoline (Or, wood gas, or NG, etc) internal combustion engines.

ki4itv
04-28-2012, 05:31 PM
If I ever do that again (please, no), there's some pictures I want to take (sadly, westbound as I recall). Out in the middle of nowhere on I-70 there's a big porn / adult toy store - no joke. Just before (or after, I forget) there's a big billbord tellin' ya that you'll go to hell for that. I was laffin' so hard, I about got in a wreck.

'Course, that was years ago...

There's one on I-40 in Tennessee, but they just sell the fireworks. Saves the men a lot of time since sex is a sin. Jail time that is...

kf0rt
04-28-2012, 05:39 PM
There's one on I-40 in Tennessee, but they just sell the fireworks. Saves the men a lot of time since sex is a sin. Jail time that is...

"Fireworks" may be relative in this case. From Denver, we drive north for those. That'd be I-25. Just inside the Wyoming border there are plenty of fireworks stands. The Wyoming drive is just as bad as Kansas, but fewer cops. Real fireworks are verbotin here (in the city, at least).

ki4itv
04-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Never thought about this before.
So the areas that sell fireworks don't sell sex toys, and the areas that sell sex toys don't sell fireworks...this says something about the human condition in America, but I hardly have the degree to back up anything I can glean from this observation.

kf0rt
04-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Well, in Wyoming, all the sex toys are in the barn.

I joke, I joke!!!!

ETA: Already have Wyo confirmed on 6. Whew.

ki4itv
04-28-2012, 05:49 PM
:lol:
I always wondered where the phrase "a roll in the hey" came from.
Thanks Rob!

KC2UGV
04-28-2012, 05:52 PM
So the areas that sell fireworks don't sell sex toys, and the areas that sell sex toys don't sell fireworks...this says something about the human condition in America, but I hardly have the degree to back up anything I can glean from this observation.

A place in TN called "Nervous Charlies" sells liquor and fireworks, in the same store...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brent_nashville/640966786/

kf0rt
04-28-2012, 05:55 PM
A place in TN called "Nervous Charlies" sells liquor and fireworks, in the same store...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brent_nashville/640966786/

You know the mantra:

"BATF should be a convenience store, not a government agency."

N2RJ
04-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Yep, and the fact that they don't work every minute of every day means we should not use them at all to ease our dependence on carbon based fuels.
That's great thinking! Yessiree Bob. Gotta toss that idea out!

The windows in my old house used to kill birds, so we boarded them up and lived in the basking light of energy consuming artificial illumination.
That's how we smart folks do it you know.

Don't be silly. I am all for wind and solar as a supplemental form of energy. But I am not fooling myself into thinking that it can fully replace fossil fuels or nuclear.

N7YA
04-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Don't be silly. I am all for wind and solar as a [b]supplemental[/i] form of energy. But I am not fooling myself into thinking that it can fully replace fossil fuels or nuclear.

But have you been fooled into thinking it never can?

N7YA
04-28-2012, 06:13 PM
You moving back to Maine?

In a few years, you bet! A few things to finish out here, also need to secure a few things then we gone! The sooner the better, we hate this place and its macho, drunken, inconsiderate, violent, self centered and ignorant residents. There are obviously some great folks here, but they are few and far between, have a decent moral compass and are usually from somewhere else.

N2RJ
04-28-2012, 06:17 PM
You can never have a low-sun, and low-wind area. The physics of weather do not permit it.

If you have little sun, you have plenty of wind. If you have little wind, you have lots of sun. A combination of both, along with other solutions, such as biomass electrical conversion, hydroelectric, and nuclear will handily solve the production issue.

Oh I agree with that.

Full dependence on wind and solar is pure insanity, especially with today's solar and wind systems being built to be grid interactive and omit the storage batteries. As a supplement to nuclear, natural gas and coal? Absolutely. It's great for that. I don't think though that we're going to get our majority of energy from wind and solar, at least not while there are calm nights.

And, 98% of Americans do no drive 100 miles in a day. And, the 2% that do? They can still use hybrids, or highly efficient gasoline (Or, wood gas, or NG, etc) internal combustion engines.

I wasn't talking about the average, although that is around 30 miles per day. The nissan leaf gets 100 miles under the EPA LA4 cycle which means a top speed of 56mph and minimum of 19.6MPH. Winter stop and go it will get 62 miles. This is with a new battery and a new car. As the battery ages the range gets worse. Pretty much if you forget to charge every night you could end up stuck.

Hybrids still depend on gasoline. Woodgas - have you ever seen a wood gasifier? I have. NG is still fossil fuel, and remember you guys hate fracking. Hydrogen is just as bad, it's extracted from hydrocarbons, which means natural gas.

I don't think people realize how utterly fucked we will be without petroleum. There is nothing that has all of its advantages - cost, portability, ease of recharging, energy content. In the United States alone we consume 18.6 million barrels per day of the stuff. If it disappears there'll be utter chaos.

N7YA
04-28-2012, 06:25 PM
It will never disappear, we need petroleum for many reasons beyond fuel, thats a fact. The point is that the companies controlling petroleum have gotten too huge, control far too much and monopolize everything related to fuel and production. They actively work to squash out any form of alternatives that may cut into their profits. That is also a fact.

NQ6U
04-28-2012, 06:27 PM
I don't think people realize how utterly fucked we will be without petroleum. There is nothing that has all of its advantages - cost, portability, ease of recharging, energy content. In the United States alone we consume 18.6 million barrels per day of the stuff. If it disappears there'll be utter chaos.

Good reason to start conserving it now, while we still have some left. It's not gonna last forever, you know.

I agree that wind and solar power cannot currently meet our energy needs but we should be working towards the goal of making it do so. Perhaps we will never achieve it, but it's certainly worth a try given the consequences of simply remaining dependent on petroleum.

KC2UGV
04-28-2012, 06:41 PM
I wasn't talking about the average, although that is around 30 miles per day. The nissan leaf gets 100 miles under the EPA LA4 cycle which means a top speed of 56mph and minimum of 19.6MPH. Winter stop and go it will get 62 miles. This is with a new battery and a new car. As the battery ages the range gets worse. Pretty much if you forget to charge every night you could end up stuck.

How many people forget to plug in their cell phone each night?

At first, I'm sure tonnes of people did. Now, it's a habit of second nature.

Hybrids still depend on gasoline. Woodgas - have you ever seen a wood gasifier? I have. NG is still fossil fuel, and remember you guys hate fracking. Hydrogen is just as bad, it's extracted from hydrocarbons, which means natural gas.

Yes, I've seen a gasifier. They can be trunk or trailer mounted, and works well. Home pallet systems are designed to dump in wood, and get 20kW out.

NG, yes it is a fossil fuel. But, it's a fossil fuel that:
a) We have a 200 year supply here in the US.
b) Burns much cleaner than oil.

There will be utter chaos in about 50-70 years then. It's all the reserves we have. We had better get our new solution in place by then.

KC2UGV
04-28-2012, 06:42 PM
It will never disappear, we need petroleum for many reasons beyond fuel, thats a fact. The point is that the companies controlling petroleum have gotten too huge, control far too much and monopolize everything related to fuel and production. They actively work to squash out any form of alternatives that may cut into their profits. That is also a fact.

Yes, it will disappear. In about 50-70 years.

N7YA
04-28-2012, 06:45 PM
At the rate we are using it, absolutely!

KC2UGV
04-28-2012, 06:48 PM
At the rate we are using it, absolutely!

Correct, and increases in consumption continue their current trend, it's sooner.

N7YA
04-28-2012, 06:59 PM
To clarify, i was refering to the uses for petroleum not disappearing. Doesnt mean it will be around for us to use, the earth doesnt quite move at the speed of commerce.

n2ize
04-28-2012, 07:02 PM

The only people who buy sex toys are those with no imagination. :)

ki4itv
04-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Don't be silly. I am all for wind and solar as a supplemental form of energy. But I am not fooling myself into thinking that it can fully replace fossil fuels or nuclear.
Ryan, why do you even think anyone is saying that we can fully support our energy needs through emerging technology?
Come on man... really.

...and BTW, I am silly. It's what makes me fun to be around. Unfortunately it gets lost in the text a lot.
Just having fun man. We've talked on the air, we've been around each other on the internet regularly, since probably 2005, and I happen to like you and truly appreciate what you have managed to achieve for yourself.
So don't take me wrong. Your response just sounded a lot like the typical GOP line of dismissal for any new technology that can help ensure we reduce our reliance on fossil fuels. I'm highly suspicious of your chosen parties line on this type of independence. Smells too much like bowing to the corporate oil gods to me....which is precisely what that party does, and is completely in opposition to what they proclaim to be their core beliefs.

They'd rather "drill, baby drill", than innovate, baby innovate.

ki4itv
04-28-2012, 07:17 PM
The only people who buy sex toys are those with no imagination. :)
Dunno 'bout that.
I met a guitar player with no arms earlier this week.
He looked pretty satisfied, content and happy. No, I didn't ask. :lol:

KC2UGV
04-28-2012, 07:18 PM
To clarify, i was refering to the uses for petroleum not disappearing. Doesnt mean it will be around for us to use, the earth doesnt quite move at the speed of commerce.

I know, I was playing on your choice in words :)

ki4itv
04-28-2012, 07:25 PM
It's Saturday, and we're all having to explain ourselves...:rofl:

n2ize
04-28-2012, 07:48 PM
In a few years, you bet! A few things to finish out here, also need to secure a few things then we gone! The sooner the better, we hate this place and its macho, drunken, inconsiderate, violent, self centered and ignorant residents.

Sounds like my kinda place. Speaking of violence we have it here too. A friend of mine who used to box was confronted by some arrogant punk who started a fight while he was walking out of a bar at 4:00am. The punk didn't stay up long. 3 seconds and three hard punches in rapid succession...BA..BOOM...BOOM. The first to the stomach the second a fake to the head and the third a square shot right over the temple and the punk was kissing the pavement. I warned the punk, if you mess you're gonna hit the sidewalk

There are obviously some great folks here, but they are few and far between, have a decent moral compass and are usually from somewhere else.[/QUOTE]

Hey, maybe when you move back to the Northeast we can hang out for a couple of beers.

kf0rt
04-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Dunno 'bout that.
I met a guitar player with no arms earlier this week.
He looked pretty satisfied, content and happy. No, I didn't ask. :lol:

Toejam thing?

Sorry.

ki4itv
04-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Yea, him again.

on edit:
Oh yea, you may have missed that part earlier this week.
He pretty much rocks, and is a local legend around Mechanicsville, VA.
UT's are standing by.

kf0rt
04-28-2012, 08:15 PM
One thing that's always bugged me...

Over the last 15 years or so, we've built this incredible infrastructure based on the Internet. I can mount a hard drive on my work machine from home and it's fast enough to be usable. Yet, I still drive to work every day. The same thing applies to telecom -- you can route a phone call anywhere these days.

So, why are we still wasting all this gas driving to work? Just about any white-collar crime job can be done without ever leaving the comforts of home. Why isn't this encouraged? Seems like it might solve a lot of problems. We still have guys who "dress nice" and drive to work every day to do a job that could be done at home in their underwear (while eating Cheetohs). Does this make sense?

Yeah, I know some of you do this already.

kf0rt
04-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Yea, him again.

on edit:
Oh yea, you may have missed that part earlier this week.
He pretty much rocks, and is a local legend around Mechanicsville, VA.
UT's are standing by.

I did catch that (peripherally). No slam intended, honestly -- just being a smartass. But, sorry about the Mechanicsville bit.

Did miss the link if you posted it, though. Wouldn't mind a listen.

ki4itv
04-28-2012, 10:03 PM
I did catch that (peripherally). No slam intended, honestly -- just being a smartass. But, sorry about the Mechanicsville bit.

Did miss the link if you posted it, though. Wouldn't mind a listen.
Slam hell...Chad inadvertently told him to "break a leg" as he left out for his gig...basically out of habit.
He has an excellent sense of humor, BTW. Laughed his ass off on the way out the door.
We'll all be playing the same MDA benefit on June 9th at Innsbrook Pavilion, and will probably have some video.

kf0rt
04-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Slam hell...Chad inadvertently told him to "break a leg" as he left out for his gig...basically out of habit.
He has an excellent sense of humor, BTW. Laughed his ass off on the way out the door.
We'll all be playing the same MDA benefit on June 9th at Innsbrook Pavilion, and will probably have some video.

You musicians amaze me. (Rest assured that your work is often the difference between bullshit and sanity).

Post it iff'n possible.

W7XF
04-29-2012, 01:56 AM
Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

NO ONE, THANKS TO BP!!