PDA

View Full Version : The Good Ol' Boys Club

N2CHX
04-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Yep, I'm gonna gripe, bitch or whatever you wanna call it.

A few months ago I was sent a link to a conversation concerning someone here whom I am friends with and they wanted me to see it. I was met with an error saying I wasn't authorized to view the thread. And that, gentlemen, is how I learned about the Ham Island Good Ol' Boys Club. Yes, that secret place where many longtime members post, in fact, my understanding is that most regulars can post and read there. Except me, which is why I was away from this place for so long, because I inquired and was given details on how my membership into this elitist club has been voted down numerous times by members who have something against me.

So yeah, until this elitist club is dissolved or open to any longtime member in good standing instead of being voted on by members who may be discriminatory because they don't like your gender or whatever else it is they don't like, I'm calling this place on it.

In truth, I don't want to be a part of this little club unless membership is open and fair to everyone. I understand wanting a place where the general public can't see, but this exclusive club you have going where people are excluded because they aren't liked by some is bullshit, plain and simple.

And don't say it's because of shit that happened two years ago either. I've been a member in good standing for quite some time now and have gotten along quite well with everyone, once the one person who came here specifically to stir shit up with me was booted.

There you go. Until you fix this, my sigline stays and I stand by it. It's discriminatory, plain and simple and I will not back down from that.

PA5COR
04-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Hmm.
Running as admin an large satellite based board we havemoderaters/admin room too.
It served it's purpose and i kept the content to a minimum needed for the running of the board as till today, no need to make a board inside a board.

Many boards have the same solution and have a room for trusted members or special interst groups, not being a member i don't care, a board is not the world.

For me i can assure you i never saw you as "freak" or any different as other members, my friends circle contain people from all walks of life, gay, hetero, etc people all cherished for what they bring in life.
Don't set yourself up as "freak"because nobody here sees you as that, and there is no need to bring yourself down.
I'm sure the "other"not named site will have their own room for the chosen ones, of which i will never be invited as being the one that seems to row against the stream there, and i don't care a bit about not being invited, most will see me as freak there ;)

be happy with the person you are, life is too short to get pulled down with this crap.

N2CHX
04-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Hmm.
Running as admin an large satellite based board we havemoderaters/admin room too.
It served it's purpose and i kept the content to a minimum needed for the running of the board as till today, no need to make a board inside a board.

Many boards have the same solution and have a room for trusted members or special interst groups, not being a member i don't care, a board is not the world.

For me i can assure you i never saw you as "freak" or any different as other members, my friends circle contain people from all walks of life, gay, hetero, etc people all cherished for what they bring in life.
Don't set yourself up as "freak"because nobody here sees you as that, and there is no need to bring yourself down.
I'm sure the "other"not named site will have their own room for the chosen ones, of which i will never be invited as being the one that seems to row against the stream there, and i don't care a bit about not being invited, most will see me as freak there ;)

be happy with the person you are, life is too short to get pulled down with this crap.

It's not a moderator board, Cor. It's a private forum for the elite here, who are voted in or out at the whim of those already a part of it. A moderator board I completely understand. And no, I don't see myself as a freak at all. I'm actually quite happy with me. I don't even want to be a part of the elite, I just think it sucks that here on the "Island Of Misfits" there's apparently misfits among the misfits.

WØTKX
04-24-2012, 03:24 PM
FWIW, the Pub was never meant to be discriminatory as it's reason to exist. It was also already in place when I joined, let alone became a mod.

On the other hand, friends who are in the pub should have been aware of the fact that others may not be able to visit. FWIW, I think that is a bigger problem in this instance. What was the the motivation behind sending you the link? I have my doubts that it was a mistake. Hmmm, a trust issue? Or just somebody who can't resist shoving a stick in the spokes to affect change, regardless of the consequences. I suspect the latter.

No matter how appropriate the motivation, the action taken just... doesn't press for change in a positive way. Now, it's a trust issue.

If you think your sigline was not noticed, it certainly was. There has been discussion regarding getting you there in the past, and you've probably already guessed it's not been... unanimous. OTOH, it has become more positive as time went by, and you joined in with us more and more. So, the big question is...can you deal with the discussions there regarding this? If so, focus on the positive comments, there are many. Damn right there are.

Finally, I'm not a huge fan of the Pub as it stands. Because it is "exclusive". And at least half the staff agrees. The question for quite a while has been what the hell to do about it? Other criteria for being invited has been discussed... and the number of posts is the likely winner, except for certain high volume posters (past, present, and future) that are best described as trolls. Rudy comes to mind, as the post number was pretty high before he got banned. And that was for damn good reason.

So membership in the Pub is discussed with existing Pub members. As it should be if the Pub is to exist at all. Some sites do this for $. :dunno:

But, we're not sure what to do, and it may simply go away soon. And not because we wouldn't want you there, but because it's a problem for the very reasons you've stated. Please remember that the Pub was inherited by most of the current staff, including the main admin/owner.

W4GPL
04-24-2012, 03:38 PM
FWIW, the Pub was never meant to be discriminatory as it's reason to exist. It was also already in place when I joined, let alone became a mod.

On the other hand, friends who are in the pub should have been aware of the fact that others may not be able to visit. FWIW, I think that is a bigger problem in this instance. What was the the motivation behind sending you the link? I have my doubts that it was a mistake. Hmmm, a trust issue? Or just somebody who can't resist shoving a stick in the spokes to affect change, regardless of the consequences. I suspect the latter.

No matter how appropriate the motivation, the action taken just... doesn't press for change in a positive way. Now, it's a trust issue.

If you think your sigline was not noticed, it certainly was. There has been discussion regarding getting you there in the past, and you've probably already guessed it's not been... unanimous. OTOH, it has become more positive as time went by, and you joined in with us more and more. So, the big question is...can you deal with the discussions there regarding this? If so, focus on the positive comments, there are many. Damn right there are.

Finally, I'm not a huge fan of the Pub as it stands. Because it is "exclusive". And at least half the staff agrees. The question for quite a while has been what the hell to do about it? Other criteria for being invited has been discussed... and the number of posts is the likely winner, except for certain high volume posters (past, present, and future) that are best described as trolls. Rudy comes to mind, as the post number was pretty high before he got banned. And that was for damn good reason.

So membership in the Pub is discussed with existing Pub members. As it should be if the Pub is to exist at all. Some sites do this for $. :dunno:

But, we're not sure what to do, and it may simply go away soon. And not because we wouldn't want you there, but because it's a problem for the very reasons you've stated. Please remember that the Pub was inherited by most of the current staff, including the main admin/owner.+1 From the time before I was even a moderator, I thought the Pub was a dumb idea. Dealing with it has just never been a high priority.

Kelli, I'm sorry it has upset you. I can tell you it wasn't a personal bias towards you by any members of the site moderators or admins. You have always been welcome here and I like to think we've done everything to demonstrate that. There are plenty of great people on this site who don't have access.

ad4mg
04-24-2012, 03:51 PM
The root problem is that the old software listed groups you could join by request. In the software upgrade, these groups (of which there were 3, guests, members, Loyal Islanders) did not make the translation.

Since it became "exclusive" in that it wasn't mentioned anywhere registered users could see it, we've agonized over what to do with it because it has become exclusive, though not by anyone's intent or plans.

The fact that it has risen to be such an issue pretty well convinces me that it's outlived it's usefulness. Jeff and I knew it was going to cause problems, sooner or later, but dealing with it wasn't a priority.

Since it's being discussed in a very public forum, I guess its a priority now. I'll suggest eliminating that forum and being done with it once and for all. The rest of the staff may weigh in with their opinions, and the majority decision will prevail.

N8YX
04-24-2012, 04:02 PM
I am going to go with "keep it". Not everyone who visits this site is a friend, and it's handy to have a place '...to prevail against all evil...'. Since our method of operation has been geared towards letting the members call the shots, such a forum makes sense for discussions away from the reach of passing stukachi.

As part of your acceptance criteria, Kelli, we will need to see your tist. You being a biker should understand this requirement; same as any swap meet. ;)

KC2UGV
04-24-2012, 04:07 PM
I am going to go with "keep it". Not everyone who visits this site is a friend, and it's handy to have a place '...to prevail against all evil...'. Since our method of operation has been geared towards letting the members call the shots, such a forum makes sense for discussions away from the reach of passing stukachi.

As part of your acceptance criteria, Kelli, we will need to see your tist. You being a biker should understand this requirement; same as any swap meet. ;)

lol

WØTKX
04-24-2012, 04:19 PM
The Pub does affect the manner of moderation here to a point.

But more than anything else, it is very useful as an anti-troll discussion area,
With input from mostly long term members, who (mostly ;) ) don't troll.

And, of course... a demonstrated sense of loyalty and appreciation about The Island.

But, as shown here, membership is also a judgement call. And humans always fail at judgments to some degree.

And, So it Goes... :whistle:

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgwku0QFBw1qcli0co1_500.jpg

N2CHX
04-24-2012, 04:36 PM

Really, the whole concept of an exclusive club (Pub or whatever you want to call it) completely goes against what I thought this site stood for.

N2CHX
04-24-2012, 04:38 PM
+1 From the time before I was even a moderator, I thought the Pub was a dumb idea. Dealing with it has just never been a high priority.

Kelli, I'm sorry it has upset you. I can tell you it wasn't a personal bias towards you by any members of the site moderators or admins. You have always been welcome here and I like to think we've done everything to demonstrate that. There are plenty of great people on this site who don't have access.

Well, yeah... Again, it pretty much flies in the face of everything this site is supposed to be. And I didn't think it was mods and admins. I know how the votes work. I've been an admin of more than one site.

N2CHX
04-24-2012, 04:48 PM

Why not just a "members only section" that doesn't exclude any member in good standing? It could even be hidden from members with, say, less than 100 posts or those who haven't been members for x amount of time. This would give members a "private place" to chat but wouldn't leave anyone excluded simply because they aren't liked by another member or two.

And BTW, if I didn't know you, Fred, I'd have to punt your balls across the parking lot and burn some Ninja tread on them.

W4GPL
04-24-2012, 04:53 PM
*sigh* Kelli, but in fact, you're not exactly a member in good standing. You've had numerous outbursts, you've been banned more than once, you've been very confrontational with people here.. if for any reasons you were excluded, those were it.

kf0rt
04-24-2012, 04:57 PM
From my recollection, the Pub was here pretty much from the beginning. As mentioned, it used to be something you applied for (and was on a menu; anyone could apply). As many might recall, we used to run PhpBB software. It was a long time before I got around to applying (and a bit of an "eh" once in). It was never really intended to be exclusionary, but as some of the staff has pointed out, it's turned out that way.

Fact is, the site was formed on the basis of fair moderation and I think we've largely accomplished that goal. I think everyone on "staff" has said at one time or another that we don't really enjoy being the bad guys -- it's a heck of a lot more fun being one of the gang. And as Fred points out, it is a good place to judge the "pulse" of the members here. "What to do with it" has been under staff discussion for some time off and on, but it's never been pushed to the point of action.

Now that the worm can is open, what do you all think?

N2CHX
04-24-2012, 04:58 PM
BTW, just to make myself clear, I'm going to repeat what I said earlier. I don't *want* to be "voted in." I hate exclusivity and being part of an exclusive group that's exclusive based on who likes and dislikes whom, is no better than not being a part of it. As I said, I've stayed away from here for months now because of this very reason and I'll probably not stick around anyway, for the same reason. It's just not cool, it really isn't.

N2CHX
04-24-2012, 05:01 PM
*sigh* Kelli, but in fact, you're not exactly a member in good standing. You've had numerous outbursts, you've been banned more than once, you've been very confrontational with people here.. if for any reasons you were excluded, those were it.

If I'm not a member in good standing, then what are you waiting for? Ban me. I've not done anything like what you just described in a very long time and when I did it was in part because certain people couldn't help being assholes to me. So again, go ahead and dig up whatever you want on me and then use it as a reason to ban me.

kf0rt
04-24-2012, 05:03 PM
BTW, just to make myself clear, I'm going to repeat what I said earlier. I don't *want* to be "voted in." I hate exclusivity and being part of an exclusive group that's exclusive based on who likes and dislikes whom, is no better than not being a part of it. As I said, I've stayed away from here for months now because of this very reason and I'll probably not stick around anyway, for the same reason. It's just not cool, it really isn't.

But, as Jeff points out, you've already been voted in. Twice now, as I recall. Not trying to be confrontational here, but it sure seems like you want to have your cake and eat it, too.

WØTKX
04-24-2012, 05:09 PM
There's been a bit of a freeze on new Pub members for these very issues.

Corey was one of the last to be invited, IIRC.

FWIW, there has been very little activity there, till the recent banning that occurred.

N2CHX
04-24-2012, 05:14 PM
But, as Jeff points out, you've already been voted in. Twice now, as I recall. Not trying to be confrontational here, but it sure seems like you want to have your cake and eat it, too.

Actually no, he hasn't pointed that out and if I was, I suppose I'd have access, but obviously I don't. And you're not getting it. It has nothing to do with cake. Sheesh.

Ya know what? Forget it. Keep your club, keep your site. I'm done here. As for anything I've ever done in the past, you'd have been defensive and snappy if you had to go through half the shit I've been through with ham radio people and people in general. Thankfully I'm on the other side of it now, long past the other side in fact. I've been evaluating what's important to me as of late and in the grand scheme of things, ham radio just isn't that important. I'm not an engineer anymore and will never go back to it, despite the fact that I was a damn good engineer. Why? Because of bigoted assholes who made my life difficult. I chose to leave, for my own well-being. Ham radio right now for me is like the final chapter of my old life that I haven't for whatever reason, left behind. I've filled my life up with new stuff. New friends, new hobbies, new things to do, new successful career. I've held onto ham radio and right about now I'm thinking it's time to pitch it.

ki4itv
04-24-2012, 05:20 PM
classic.

KJ3N
04-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Ham radio right now for me is like the final chapter of my old life that I haven't for whatever reason, left behind. I've filled my life up with new stuff. New friends, new hobbies, new things to do, new successful career. I've held onto ham radio and right about now I'm thinking it's time to pitch it.

I will only say this: Ham radio is not what you see online. If it was, I'd have given it up myself.

I don't know how much time you've actually spent on the air (and I don't mean VHF/UHF repeater BS), but I get the feeling it's not been much. I think you owe it to yourself to work up an HF station and spend some time operating before you throw in the towel.

KC2UGV
04-24-2012, 05:32 PM
I don't know how much time you've actually spent on the air (and I don't mean VHF/UHF repeater BS),

Glad you put in there the "repeater" part. VHF/UHF can be fun. Not so much on the repeaters :)

KJ3N
04-24-2012, 05:35 PM
Glad you put in there the "repeater" part. VHF/UHF can be fun. Not so much on the repeaters :)

Having started out like many new No-Code Techs in the 90s, I can tell you repeater operation today is like watching paint dry. :roll: :hand:

KG4NEL
04-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Maybe it's me, but the repeater culture we have in this area isn't too bad - I wouldn't want to just be on FM, but usually there's enough activity on 6m, 2m and 70cm to be able to talk to somebody interesting.

KC2UGV
04-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Maybe it's me, but the repeater culture we have in this area isn't too bad - I wouldn't want to just be on FM, but usually there's enough activity on 6m, 2m and 70cm to be able to talk to somebody interesting.

I'm fine with FM only (Don't have a mult-mode VHF/UHF rig), but there's tons more than FM repeater. Simplex, Digi modes, etc etc.

K7SGJ
04-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Damn, I hate to see shit like this happen. Life is just too fu(king short.

W2NAP
04-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Having started out like many new No-Code Techs in the 90s, I can tell you repeater operation today is like watching paint dry. :roll: :hand:

all the fun 2m repeaters end in 435.

na actually i think it depends on the area, here repeaters kinda suck. and thats just cause of the rules they have on them. (no government, no religion, nothing contraversal that may offend someone) thus we have our own repeater which well. has all the forbidden topics. thus better to listen to. right now were the weakest repeater in the area. yet i hear more people trying to get into it then the others. were also the most active. (cept for the last couple days we all been feeling like shit)

W4GPL
04-24-2012, 05:48 PM
I've held onto ham radio and right about now I'm thinking it's time to pitch it.I don't know about anyone else, but I've seen this episode before. Is there anything else on?

KJ3N
04-24-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm fine with FM only (Don't have a mult-mode VHF/UHF rig), but there's tons more than FM repeater. Simplex, Digi modes, etc etc.

When it comes to VHF/UHF, give me weak signal (SSB in particular), or give me death.

I turn on an HT just long enough to remind me why the thing stays off 95% of the time.

PA5COR
04-25-2012, 03:05 AM
2/70 was always SSB for me, just the odd time on repeaters if i was in the van driving.
I'll pull the 23 element 70 and 11 element 2 meter Flexa beams from the mast this summer, the Diamond X 510 stays, as does the 5 element 6 meter beam.
99.9% i'm on H.F and 6 meters, i've been on 2/70 for 35+ years now, and my interests aren't just there anymore.
Did most of it there, satellite's, SSB long distance, Aurora, airplane bouncing, Sporadic E etc etc., homebrewing P.A's very low noise GaAs fet amps, transverters, etc.
Leaving the ham radio hobby? never, started as 12 year old kid experimenting with electronics ( tubes) and will do that till i can't do it anymore.

N2CHX
04-25-2012, 06:47 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I've seen this episode before. Is there anything else on?

Nope, it's called "Kelli's happy with herself and doesn't need men on ham radio sites to approve of her." No offense. I really do hope you boys figure out how hypocritical your little pub is on this so-called Island of Misfits. And you can say or think "cake and eat it too" or whatever else you want but I've always been one to fight for the underdog -- that won't change. What you totally missed was that this wasn't all about me, especially knowing there are others you've excluded from your circle jerk.

Last night I had a great time rockin' my hot self, out with my best friends in the world. No arguing with idiots and no thoughts of the latest Zed drama you guys get all woody over every day. I've finally come to the realization that it's been knuckleheads on sites like that have contributed to my feeling bad about myself in the past. Well screw that shit, because I'm not at all what most people here think. I'm finally living life the way I've always wanted to and I really don't give a damn what anyone thinks about it. I look great, have a rockin' curvy body, I'm more freakin' intelligent than most of you and I don't need the approval or disapproval of a bunch of armchair critics on a ham radio site.

W4GPL
04-25-2012, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the laughs, see you in a few weeks.

N2CHX
04-25-2012, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the laughs.

Back atcha lil' boy. You really are a dick.

WØTKX
04-25-2012, 07:17 AM
Wow. :sadwave:

PA5COR
04-25-2012, 07:47 AM
If you want respect, start with giving it, before judging others based on some posts on a forum.

K7SGJ
04-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Kelli, I hope you really are happy with your life and are getting out of it what you want. If you find this hobby or this site, or any site, is interfering with your happiness, for what ever reason, you probably should leave them behind and continue to pursue the things that do bring happiness and fulfillment to your life. I know that is what I would do. Best of luck in what ever you decide to do.

ad4mg
04-25-2012, 03:03 PM
Nope, it's called "Kelli's happy with herself and doesn't need men on ham radio sites to approve of her." No offense. I really do hope you boys figure out how hypocritical your little pub is on this so-called Island of Misfits. And you can say or think "cake and eat it too" or whatever else you want but I've always been one to fight for the underdog -- that won't change. What you totally missed was that this wasn't all about me, especially knowing there are others you've excluded from your circle jerk.

Last night I had a great time rockin' my hot self, out with my best friends in the world. No arguing with idiots and no thoughts of the latest Zed drama you guys get all woody over every day. I've finally come to the realization that it's been knuckleheads on sites like that have contributed to my feeling bad about myself in the past. Well screw that shit, because I'm not at all what most people here think. I'm finally living life the way I've always wanted to and I really don't give a damn what anyone thinks about it. I look great, have a rockin' curvy body, I'm more freakin' intelligent than most of you and I don't need the approval or disapproval of a bunch of armchair critics on a ham radio site.

Boy, I truly hate this drama shit, but I gotta ask ... why are you still here? If you are so unhappy with this site, just leave.

What did you hope to accomplish, Kelli? Do you wish to alienate everyone here that previously had your back? Get it over with, already and do whatever the hell you're going to do.

Damn, girl ...

ki4itv
04-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Boy, I truly hate this drama shit, but I gotta ask ... why are you still here? If you are so unhappy with this site, just leave.

What did you hope to accomplish, Kelli? Do you wish to alienate everyone here that previously had your back? Get it over with, already and do whatever the hell you're going to do.

Damn, girl ...

Yup, a lot of us too.

VE7DCW
04-25-2012, 09:54 PM
A drama??? ...... this is fast becoming more comical as this stupidity progresses......wow!! :-?

N2CHX
04-26-2012, 07:10 AM
You all can make it out like I'm totally in the wrong here, but Jeff knows the truth, even if he won't admit it. So do many others who have left here. This "Island If Misfit Hams" has become as bad as the place it claims it isn't like. I've done nothing but be nice and helpful to people here in the last two years, so you all can just bite it. If you're a member here, there's more to this story that you're not hearing. But hey, don't take my word for it or the others who have seen it and left... :roll:

I'm not stupid and I'm not crazy, but I do know who can be trusted and who's a liar. And yeah, this is only an internet forum, it sure isn't my life :hyper:

In the end, some people claim to be allies but when the shit hits the fan, "manhood" wins out over being an ally to a freak, right guys? Nice knowing you. I'm done with this silly habit of keeping shit in my pocket just in case I might want to stick my nose in it later, so no, I won't be back here. I've said all I need to say. Enjoy your endless circle jerk.

ki4itv
04-26-2012, 07:26 AM
Well, I'll miss you and your biting wit.
Do as you will.:(

K7SGJ
04-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Jesus, Kelli, that's harsh. If you have facts, present them; just don't go off with the idea that everyone is against you. Granted I haven't been on this site as long as many, but in the time I have been here, I've never seen you treated much differently than anyone else. Just about all of us have been held to task for a position we have taken on one thing or another, but I don't recall any instances of the things you claim have happened to you. In fact, I recall pretty much every one supporting your choices in life, and were happy to see good thing happen to you, and were supportive when things weren't so good. I can't believe this is all just because of the existence of a non-public forum that you are not a part of. Again, if you are going to attack the members of the Island, put out the reasons you feel you were singled out and mistreated. I, for one, would like to know. On the other hand, if you don't have the time or desire for the hobby or this forum, just say so; or if you're just tired of the place and want to exit with a bit of drama, Adios.

suddenseer
04-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Kelli, I will miss your sharp wit. It reminds me of John Lennon's sharp comments. You have been supportive of me on the board, and pm's. I have a feeling that this thread will force some sort of change in IOMH's policy as it is a living, liquid, policy. I am looking for the potential positive results. You have genuine passion in your belief system, and I applaud your passion. I am passionate on some issues as well. I was invited by the admins to edit one of my posts because it violated TOS for the Island. I complied, and I am glad I did. I am thinking of advice given to me years ago, "you are what you post". I try my best to live like that. I do take issue with some of my fellow Islanders in their remarks that who you are is a "choice" that you made. I am a member of the LGBT community, and I know it is not a choice. In my life the only "choice" I made was to live a lie. When I made the decision to stop living a lie, and accept myself for who I really am was a liberating experience. I think your experience was similar. I can tell you that the staff here recently cut me unprecedented slack for a thread I started, that I shouldn't have. I think they would have done the same for you under similar conditions. As far as my experience of this board, the good really out weights the bad by a huge margin. As far as I am concerned, you are always welcome here. I think my concern is shared by the majority of Island members.

Fair thee well my lady.

Tim aka N8TB

WN9HJW
04-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Deleted

WØTKX
04-27-2012, 03:34 PM
http://images.wikia.com/en.futurama/images/b/b3/800px-Legionofmadfellows.jpg

suddenseer
04-27-2012, 05:33 PM
^^^^Right foot of fellowship^^^

WØTKX
04-28-2012, 08:11 AM
:rofl:

Some would argue that it's the left foot around here... :mrgreen:

ki4itv
04-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Well, there has been a noticeable upsurge in hokey-pokey lately.

N8YX
04-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Well, there has been a noticeable upsurge in hokey-pokey lately.

Bush's/Obama'sRomney's fault.

KG4CGC
04-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Damn. I go on a little vacation for a week with nothing but a phone and limited access and this is what happens.
Jebus people! I. Can't. Leave. You. People. Alone. For. A. Minute.
From now on, plastic cups only and no more matches or lighters!

KG4CGC
04-28-2012, 11:12 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/4e864107.jpg

kf0rt
04-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Damn. I go on a little vacation for a week with nothing but a phone and limited access and this is what happens.

That won't stop us. :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKZqGJONH68

ki4itv
04-28-2012, 11:29 AM

That's so true and very funny, :yes:

N7YA
05-02-2012, 07:51 AM
So anyway....did i miss the circle jerk?

WØTKX
05-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Your motivations were discussed, and not found to be circular enough.

N7YA
05-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Thats cool. I figured a triangular circle jerk would be too gay.

WØTKX
05-02-2012, 08:02 AM
OIC. Not sure if I get the point...

K7SGJ
05-02-2012, 08:06 AM

You will if you bend over.

WØTKX
05-02-2012, 08:15 AM
Is that a right triangle, or an isosceles?

K7SGJ
05-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Is that a right triangle, or an isosceles?

I'm not quite sure. Perhaps you could consult the constipated mathematician. After all, he was able to work it out with a pencil.

WØTKX
05-02-2012, 08:25 AM
Get the lead out?

K7SGJ
05-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Yes he did.

N7YA
05-02-2012, 09:06 AM

Honestly, im not sure i do either.

WØTKX
05-02-2012, 09:38 AM
http://threadbombing.com/data/media/22/normalthisthreadrocks9fwbc2.jpg

TESLA
05-02-2012, 11:44 AM
We have a club?

wa6mhz
05-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Think she felt isolated cuz she was a GIRL

TESLA
05-02-2012, 11:49 AM
We have Girls?

WØTKX
05-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Well, we did. We're down to two now.
One is my YL, but she mostly lurks over my shoulder.
The other one might be busy chasing ghosts.

K7SGJ
05-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Hey, over the shoulder isn't bad at all. Maybe add a little body english?

W3WN
05-02-2012, 07:29 PM
We have a club?Shhh. We told the cops they were just baseball bats with thick barrels.

WØTKX
05-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Hey, over the shoulder isn't bad at all. Maybe add a little body english?
More like an amusing dialect of hippsvigle. :angel:

VE7DCW
05-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Shhh. We told the cops they were just baseball bats with thick barrels.

....... and only during baseball season!! :yes:

K7SGJ
05-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Hmmmmm. A 20ga Louisville Slugger.

VE7DCW
05-08-2012, 10:07 PM
You all can make it out like I'm totally in the wrong here, but Jeff knows the truth, even if he won't admit it. So do many others who have left here. This "Island If Misfit Hams" has become as bad as the place it claims it isn't like. I've done nothing but be nice and helpful to people here in the last two years, so you all can just bite it. If you're a member here, there's more to this story that you're not hearing. But hey, don't take my word for it or the others who have seen it and left... :roll:

I'm not stupid and I'm not crazy, but I do know who can be trusted and who's a liar. And yeah, this is only an internet forum, it sure isn't my life :hyper:

In the end, some people claim to be allies but when the shit hits the fan, "manhood" wins out over being an ally to a freak, right guys? Nice knowing you. I'm done with this silly habit of keeping shit in my pocket just in case I might want to stick my nose in it later, so no, I won't be back here. I've said all I need to say. Enjoy your endless circle jerk.

Oh dear .....as of this posting it's been 2 weeks since Kelli's callsign has showed any activity here on the Island ...... do you think she really meant it this time? **Yawn** .....she's probably showing up as a "guest" to see what people are saying about her ..... sort of relaxing really ...... these "circle jerks" should happen more often.... :hyper:

W4GPL
05-08-2012, 10:31 PM
I still wanna know what truth I know.. ;)

VE7DCW
05-08-2012, 10:56 PM
I still wanna know what truth I know.. ;)

"The truth is out there"
and the other famous line from the "X-files":
"Trust No 1"

:spin:

W4AMP
05-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Yep, I'm gonna gripe, bitch or whatever you wanna call it.

A few months ago I was sent a link to a conversation concerning someone here whom I am friends with and they wanted me to see it. I was met with an error saying I wasn't authorized to view the thread. And that, gentlemen, is how I learned about the Ham Island Good Ol' Boys Club. Yes, that secret place where many longtime members post, in fact, my understanding is that most regulars can post and read there. Except me, which is why I was away from this place for so long, because I inquired and was given details on how my membership into this elitist club has been voted down numerous times by members who have something against me.

So yeah, until this elitist club is dissolved or open to any longtime member in good standing instead of being voted on by members who may be discriminatory because they don't like your gender or whatever else it is they don't like, I'm calling this place on it.

In truth, I don't want to be a part of this little club unless membership is open and fair to everyone. I understand wanting a place where the general public can't see, but this exclusive club you have going where people are excluded because they aren't liked by some is bullshit, plain and simple.

And don't say it's because of shit that happened two years ago either. I've been a member in good standing for quite some time now and have gotten along quite well with everyone, once the one person who came here specifically to stir shit up with me was booted.

There you go. Until you fix this, my sigline stays and I stand by it. It's discriminatory, plain and simple and I will not back down from that.

Libs love discrimination, see Ku Klux Klan. I don't have anything in common with lib gay atheists either, but I will have fun with them until I am banned.

W4AMP
05-14-2012, 03:14 PM

Pics?

W4AMP
05-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Back atcha lil' boy. You really are a dick.

I think the word you are looking for is "tool".

W4AMP
05-14-2012, 03:31 PM

I saw the same thing happen on Hamsexy. It was started by hams banned from QRZ, and before long they were banning people too. I see some of them here now, all the banning killed hamsexy. It's a control thing, men are usually worse than women. I also notice that most members are libs. Although they preach tolerance, they do not practice it. Tell us about your engineering exploits, and radio adventures. If you do not give them power over you than you win. Same with qrmers on the radio. Most just give up and go away. Too easy. That is what most people do in adversity, they give up. I turn the amp up and crush them like a bug. I am many things, but a quitter is not one of them. Hell, you could even start your own board. Don't give up, it is what they want you to do.

Jim

KC2UGV
05-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Same with qrmers on the radio. Most just give up and go away. Too easy....
Jim

I tried ignoring the QRM'ers on 313, like W4NTI, and they're still there...

KG4CGC
05-14-2012, 03:37 PM
NTI's signal doesn't get out that far. Sometimes he's an S-1 here but usually he's covered up in the mess.
At least the guys using his call are covered up.

W4AMP
05-14-2012, 03:40 PM

NTI died years ago moron. He was a Vietnam vet with shrapnel in his back and was in constant pain.

W4AMP
05-14-2012, 03:42 PM
NTI's signal doesn't get out that far. Sometimes he's an S-1 here but usually he's covered up in the mess.
At least the guys using his call are covered up.

NTI died years ago. He has a tough time getting the signal out of his casket. goof

W2NAP
05-14-2012, 03:47 PM
holy shit...

KG4CGC
05-14-2012, 03:50 PM
NTI died years ago. He has a tough time getting the signal out of his casket. goof

Are you suffering reading comprehension, goof? Obviously his call is being hijacked by QRM'ers.

W2NAP
05-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Break for UGV

This is all the fault of Howard Sterns Penis

KG4CGC
05-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Break for UGV

Baba Booey Baba Booey!

PA5COR
05-14-2012, 04:00 PM
:roll:Tut tut, do i detect some animosity here?:popcorn::mrgreen:

Now, if anyone can find a way to keep that .313 tripe on THAT side of the pond, please do so asap.:pray:

N2CHX
05-14-2012, 04:03 PM
I hadn't been back here until last night and had no intention of coming back until meeting Kevin in person yesterday and he practically begged me to come back.

So Jeff, I hear you finally came out.

W2NAP
05-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Break for KKM sup Kel

KC2UGV
05-14-2012, 04:20 PM
NTI died years ago moron. He was a Vietnam vet with shrapnel in his back and was in constant pain.

A friend of yours?

Break for UGV

Howard Stern... :cool2:

I hadn't been back here until last night and had no intention of coming back until meeting Kevin in person yesterday and he practically begged me to come back.

So Jeff, I hear you finally came out.

Welcome Back Kell!

N1LAF
05-14-2012, 04:41 PM

That's going to be hard to do....

Accusations without proof? Why am I not surprised.

KC2UGV
05-14-2012, 05:04 PM
That's going to be hard to do....

Accusations without proof? Why am I not surprised.

Proof positive: I never go on 313. So, I am ignoring the QRM'ers there. And, they are still there.

W4GPL
05-14-2012, 05:33 PM
So Jeff, I hear you finally came out.Finally? About 16 years ago.

N2CHX
05-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Finally? About 16 years ago.

Here, I mean.

W4GPL
05-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Here, I mean.Always been out here too.

ad4mg
05-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Always been out here too.

Yup.

WØTKX
05-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Yea. Like before you got into being "The Admin" here, IIRC. Never made a big thing abut it. Well, except for the snoring. ;)

N2CHX
05-14-2012, 07:54 PM
Yea. Like before you got into being "The Admin" here, IIRC. Never made a big thing abut it. Well, except for the snoring. ;)

Yeah well, I'd have not made a big deal out of being "out" either if some douchebags hadn't made it a big deal for me.

kf0rt
05-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Yeah well, I'd have not made a big deal out of being "out" either if some douchebags hadn't made it a big deal for me.

For what little it may be worth, nobody here ever really hated ya.

How's that house looking?

N2CHX
05-14-2012, 08:37 PM
For what little it may be worth, nobody here ever really hated ya.

How's that house looking?

Well FWIW, I've never actually hated anyone here. OK maybe one person.

House is still standing. Always a good thing.

N1LAF
05-14-2012, 08:41 PM

But only you can control what you say, and how you say it. Rob is right, no one hates you, you just may make it difficult for people to like you. Less drama, less flaunt, more friends. May be hard at first (self control), but it will get easier with time.

KC2UGV
05-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Well FWIW, I've never actually hated anyone here. OK maybe one person.

House is still standing. Always a good thing.

Don't understate, that office is looking good... Need a nice oak desk there now :)

N2CHX
05-14-2012, 08:52 PM
But only you can control what you say, and how you say it. Rob is right, no one hates you, you just may make it difficult for people to like you. Less drama, less flaunt, more friends. May be hard at first (self control), but it will get easier with time.

I still disagree with the good ol' boys club you have here. I won't back down from that.

KG4CGC
05-14-2012, 08:57 PM

You mean the way you flaunt your party values for no other reason than to start shit? Did you say something about drama?

N1LAF
05-14-2012, 09:00 PM
I still disagree with the good ol' boys club you have here. I won't back down from that.

At the same time, you don't have to make such a big stink about it that it will have people look at you and think "what is your problem". You said it, everyone heard it, move on. Constant harping on it will not help you. Besides, it is not so secret, it was an request option when we were using phpBB3. Just chill, and one day it will happen.

KJ3N
05-14-2012, 09:00 PM
You mean the way you flaunt your party values for no other reason than to start shit? Did you say something about drama?

:owned: :rofl:

N1LAF
05-14-2012, 09:01 PM

Just like the :stirpot: that you are doing now?

You are not fooling anyone....

KG4CGC
05-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Just like the :stirpot: that you are doing now?

You are not fooling anyone....
Calling you out on your bullshit means I'm stirring the pot. Got it. You got your double standard playbook on hand beside your keyboard?
You think I'm trying to fool people here? You really need to give the Island crowd more credit than that.
Of note, you sound like my 2nd grade teacher. One day I answered her question to me in French. She got red in the face and said, "You're not fooling anyone!"

Keep it up, Paul. You are not fooling anyone.

N2CHX
05-14-2012, 09:07 PM
At the same time, you don't have to make such a big stink about it that it will have people look at you and think "what is your problem". You said it, everyone heard it, move on. Constant harping on it will not help you. Besides, it is not so secret, it was an request option when we were using phpBB3. Just chill, and one day it will happen.

Chill and one day what will happen? Being included in that? No thank you.

N1LAF
05-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Chill and one day what will happen? Being included in that? No thank you.
That's OK, there are plenty of other things here on the forum, so enjoy those other areas, and enjoy the friends you have here. Life is too short to be angry all the time. I am sure many would like to hear about your experience with AM transmitters/station engineering.

When I first got into radio, with shortwave, logging all the am radio stations I can hear was one of them. My first long distance (relative) station was WKBW, then WBT, and then WBAL.

KG4CGC
05-14-2012, 09:16 PM
That's OK, there are plenty of other things here on the forum, so enjoy those other areas, and enjoy the friends you have here. Life is too short to be angry all the time. I am sure many would like to hear about your experience with AM transmitters/station engineering.

When I first got into radio, with shortwave, logging all the am radio stations I can hear was one of them. My first long distance (relative) station was WKBW, then WBT, and then WBAL.

Why are you talking down to her like she's a child?

N1LAF
05-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Why are you talking down to her like she's a child?

Why do you make that (wrongful) assumption? Trying to stir up more shit?

KG4CGC
05-14-2012, 09:20 PM
Why do you make that (wrongful) assumption? Trying to stir up more shit?

I'm calling you out ON your shit. It's about time somebody did.

K7SGJ
05-14-2012, 09:21 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I sure would like to see this thread go away.

NA4BH
05-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Second

TESLA
05-14-2012, 09:29 PM
IB4TL

N2CHX
05-14-2012, 09:33 PM
IB4TL

There's something else that should be left over at the Zed.

suddenseer
05-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Hi Kelli. The Island seems to have a number of LGBT folks here, as well as bass players. I belong to both subsets. In fact, I am the only gay bass player I know.

TESLA
05-14-2012, 09:49 PM
There's something else that should be left over at the Zed.

What is this Zed that you speak of? Sorry, I'm new here.

W4GPL
05-14-2012, 09:57 PM
In fact, I am the only gay bass player I know.Typically us gays have higher standards. :snicker:

W7XF
05-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Typically us gays have higher standards. :snicker:

Jeff...some guys would say different about me... :lol:

suddenseer
05-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Jeff...some guys would say different about me... :lol:You're a trucker. Bass players are several notches lower.

K7SGJ
05-14-2012, 11:25 PM
You're a trucker. Bass players are several notches lower.

Don't fret.

NQ6U
05-15-2012, 01:36 AM
You're a trucker. Bass players are several notches lower.

No way! Us truckers are the bottom rung of the social ladder and proud of it! Right, Kevin?

suddenseer
05-15-2012, 07:04 AM
Don't fret.Actually, I do have a 5 string fretless bass.

ki4itv
05-15-2012, 07:17 AM
. In fact, I am the only gay bass player I know.

OK. I laughed. Now I have "I'm the only gay Eskimo" stuck in my head...
And I couldn't come up with any gay bass players in my real world either, wassup with that?

Actually, I do have a 5 string fretless bass.
Want.

KB3LAZ
05-15-2012, 07:22 AM
No way! Us truckers are the bottom rung of the social ladder and proud of it! Right, Kevin?

Then how is it that you get all of these stops named after you where they sell cheap and often times good home style food?

N7YA
05-15-2012, 08:09 AM
Doug Pinnick of Kings X is gay. So was Sid Vicious, but he wasnt really a bassist, he just held the instrument until he fell over.

N8YX
05-15-2012, 08:18 AM
And Rob Halford of Judas Priest. Freddie Mercury...neither were bassists, but what talent.

N7YA
05-15-2012, 08:23 AM
But....Ian Hill, the bassist of Judas Priest, did marry Rob Halfords sister.

W3WN
05-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Yeah well, I'd have not made a big deal out of being "out" either if some douchebags hadn't made it a big deal for me.You're out? How can you be out? Didn't we just welcome you back in?

on edit: well, that joke fell flat on it's face. Let's try this one:

You're out? How can you be out? That was Ball Four!

W3WN
05-15-2012, 09:30 AM
I still disagree with the good ol' boys club you have here. I won't back down from that.Anytime I read that, I think of stereotypical rednecks listening to that damned Waylon Jennings theme song. I don't believe that applies to too many around the bar here.

W3WN
05-15-2012, 09:33 AM
What is this Zed that you speak of? Sorry, I'm new here.I think that was a typo. They meant "Zen". :whistle:

Just sit there in the corner, change "Ommmmmmmmmmmm" a lot, and send me all your money & worldly goods... and peace will come to you, my son...

ki4itv
05-15-2012, 11:07 AM
But....Ian Hill, the bassist of Judas Priest, did marry Rob Halfords sister.

...obviously gay by marriage. :usa:

W3WN
05-15-2012, 12:16 PM
But....Ian Hill, the bassist of Judas Priest, did marry Rob Halfords sister.Big deal. Elton John married Renate Ruth Margot Blauelin 1984. Do you have any doubts about his orientation, these days?

ab1ga
05-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Big deal. Elton John married Renate Ruth Margot Blauelin 1984. Do you have any doubts about his orientation, these days?

You mean there was someone who didn't have those doubts before? :)

W3WN
05-15-2012, 02:31 PM
You mean there was someone who didn't have those doubts before? :)Today? Not hardly.

Back then? IIRC, a lot of people figured he wasn't gay (maybe bi, but not gay) if he went a head and got married, to a female that is (a distinction I can make today that 28 years ago would have seemed redundant). But today we know better.

n2ize
05-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Having started out like many new No-Code Techs in the 90s, I can tell you repeater operation today is like watching paint dry.

:roll: :hand:

There are a lot of great repeaters here in the New York metro and tri-state area. I have had some really nice conversations on a few of them. There is one particular repeater on VHF across the Hudson from me that really slams into my area. A HT with a rubber duck and 2 - 5 watts is all that is needed.

Only thing that has changed here is that, with the exception of 1 major repeater that is extremely busy, many of the "big league" VHf repeaters around here are much quieter than they were back 10 or 20 years ago. There are also a couple of smaller repeaters that were nice but seem to be gone. These days i am told a lot of the repeater action has shifted onto UHF leaving the VHF repeaters underused. But, every now and then I can catch a good chat on VHF.

suddenseer
05-15-2012, 04:40 PM
There are a lot of great repeaters here in the New York metro and tri-state area. I have had some really nice conversations on a few of them. There is one particular repeater on VHF across the Hudson from me that really slams into my area. A HT with a rubber duck and 2 - 5 watts is all that is needed.

Only thing that has changed here is that, with the exception of 1 major repeater that is extremely busy, many of the "big league" VHf repeaters around here are much quieter than they were back 10 or 20 years ago. There are also a couple of smaller repeaters that were nice but seem to be gone. These days i am told a lot of the repeater action has shifted onto UHF leaving the VHF repeaters underused. But, every now and then I can catch a good chat on VHF.There is a repeater system there that has a cross band 10M FM on 29.620. Every summer I have a pipeline to that system from Ohio. Have had many all night roundtables you NYC guys Rock!

N7YA
05-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Big deal. Elton John married Renate Ruth Margot Blauelin 1984. Do you have any doubts about his orientation, these days?

Nope, Ian Hill isnt gay at all....i was tying it together with him, being a bassist, marrying Rob Halfords sister, who isnt a bassist. Six Degrees of gay rock stars (gay bass players edition - as started by Tim) sort of thing.

WX7P
05-21-2012, 10:35 AM
"All I know is what I don't know"
"All I know is I don't know nothing"

-Operation Ivy

kb2crk
05-28-2012, 06:49 PM
well this was a thread that wasted a few minutes of my life.. back to work on the computers...

N7YA
05-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Hell, thats why i come here!

KB3LAZ
05-30-2012, 07:21 AM
Hell, thats why i come here!

Dont we all? Sometimes we just need to pull ourselves out of the dangerous drug known as reality and just chill with some good folks?

N2RJ
06-01-2012, 11:28 PM

Only thing that has changed here is that, with the exception of 1 major repeater that is extremely busy, many of the "big league" VHf repeaters around here are much quieter than they were back 10 or 20 years ago. There are also a couple of smaller repeaters that were nice but seem to be gone. These days i am told a lot of the repeater action has shifted onto UHF leaving the VHF repeaters underused. But, every now and then I can catch a good chat on VHF.
I dropped off repeaters when I got a serious HF station.

Some machines were great but on others there was Too much of the same stuff.

N7YA
06-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Repeaters....aaah, havent been on one in well over 25 years. No plans for returning either.

KB3LAZ
06-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Repeaters....aaah, havent been on one in well over 25 years. No plans for returning either.

That makes me feel so "nub". You have not used a repeater in two and a half times (give or take) the length I have held a ticket.

KG4CGC
06-05-2012, 02:29 PM
I got off the repeaters several years ago. Nothing but local club politics. Bickering about who could use. Having repeaters turned off when certain individuals came on. Stupidity in general.
Lest we forget the threatening letters sent to site owners when the Mt. Mitchell machine was going to be moved. Letters sent by complete MOORAANS!

WØTKX
06-05-2012, 02:51 PM
I tired of it long ago as well. Still like simplex FM and SSB on 144/440 tho.

And AM if I can get anyone to play along.

W4GPL
06-05-2012, 02:55 PM
I wish there was activity on our local repeaters, they're absolutely dead. I scan 20+ programmed repeaters all day long and all I ever hear is the auto ID and announcements.

N7YA
06-05-2012, 03:00 PM
That makes me feel so "nub". You have not used a repeater in two and a half times (give or take) the length I have held a ticket.

That makes me feel.....not a noob.

>sigh<

KJ3N
06-05-2012, 03:23 PM

Just be sure to keep off his lawn. ;)

N8YX
06-05-2012, 04:07 PM
I wish there was activity on our local repeaters, they're absolutely dead. I scan 20+ programmed repeaters all day long and all I ever hear is the auto ID and announcements.

Yep, and I'll bet it was due to some of the dynamics which Charles pointed out. That, and cell phones.

kf0rt
06-05-2012, 04:15 PM

I can remember when there were waiting lists to join repeaters here. Of course, back then, everybody stayed off my lawn.

W4GPL
06-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Yep, and I'll bet it was due to some of the dynamics which Charles pointed out. That, and cell phones.No doubt.. and I'm just as guilty as the next guy of not participating. I listen and lurk, but never xmit.

N8YX
06-05-2012, 04:28 PM
No doubt.. and I'm just as guilty as the next guy of not participating. I listen and lurk, but never xmit.
When a bunch of us did XMIT...back in the day...the owners/users of a few of the higher-profile machines didn't want us on, so we left and went to simplex FM or SSB. Then a few 'friendlier' systems sprung up and we began to use them if duplex comms were in order.

Those of us who waited it out (past the old farts' time) have had the last laugh: "...to drive your enemies before you; to hear the lamentations of their women as you disassemble the repeater sites then sell the duplexers for scrap..."

Come to think about it, those women may not have been lamenting after all. I think they were laughing inside, secretly glad to be rid of 'all that junk' and the drama which accompanied it.

KJ3N
06-05-2012, 04:43 PM
I listen and lurk, but never xmit.

That's more than I do. Except on very rare occasions, I don't even listen. Every time I do, I remember why I don't.

I think 1998 was the last year I spent any serious time on a repeater. I had started noticing a definite increase in the level of Teh Stoopid by 1997 and just got fed up. By the end of 1999, I was engrossed in 6m and 2m SSB and left repeaters behind. Getting my General in 2001 sealed the death of my repeater activity.

N7YA
06-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Just be sure to keep off his lawn. ;)

Damn kids!

Stay off my desertscape!

KB3LAZ
06-06-2012, 04:44 AM
That makes me feel.....not a noob.

>sigh<

Experienced! That is the word!!

N7YA
06-06-2012, 05:10 AM