PDA

View Full Version : Corsair owners/users - please step in here

N8YX
04-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Thinking about picking one up if I can find the right setup.

What are the differences bewteen the original and the II? Any trouble spots or known issues to be aware of?

WØTKX
04-24-2012, 11:44 AM
I have the original Corsair. AFAIK, they are almost the same... the biggest change was a built in keyer?
It's so smooooth to listen to, and is noticably better than my Omni D rigs. You'd like either of the versions.

Check out the Ten Tec Wiki, and look at the pictures of the rear panels... the Corsair II has a few more accessory jacks. I see paddle and a "QSK" jack that is probably for an amp. Other than that, I think it's mostly cosmetic. The RX specs are the same.

http://tentecwiki.org/doku.php?id=transceivers

And I prefer the looks of the older one.
An Omni V or VI is next on my Ten Tec list.
I need to sell some other rarely used rigs first.

W3WN
04-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Thinking about picking one up if I can find the right setup.

What are the differences bewteen the original and the II? Any trouble spots or known issues to be aware of?Sold the original, back in the day. Now own a II.

The two biggest, noticeable differences:

Cosmetic -- the lighter grey on the II
Built in keyer -- only on the II

There are also a few technical differences (small improvements) in some of the circuitry, and I believe that the II has a few more panel jacks on the back.

Functionally, the differences are pretty small. I don't believe most would notice. Both units take the same filters, same power supplies, same remote VFO -- the only differences between the PS & RVFO is the color scheme, and my Corsair II is running the "original" PS & RVFO.

If at all possible, get the RVFO. They're tough to find, but well worth it.

And figure you can buy used filters (1.8 kHz narrow SSB, 500 Hz & 250 Hz CW) on the used market for about $75 give or take. So if they come pre-installed, all the better.