PDA

View Full Version : Finally did another DXCC submission today.

N2RJ
04-20-2012, 01:17 PM
It's been a few years. I think the last one I did was in 2008?

Now up to 224 confirmed on the current list (226 on the deleted list).
But wait! That's not the end of it. This was just what was sitting in LoTW. I still have some 30 odd cards to manually check, so when it's all said and done I'll have around 250 in my DXCC record.

Still need 29 contacts on 80m for 5 band DXCC. 80/75 is always the hard one for 5 band it seems.

KC2UGV
04-20-2012, 01:40 PM
So, do you actually get to DXCC awards, or do they just update your old one or something?

N2RJ
04-20-2012, 01:48 PM
They send you a sticker that you put on your old one. Actually I'll be getting two stickers - 150 and 200 (mixed). I'll get 250 when I have my cards checked. After that it increments in steps of 25 and then 5 after you hit 300 entities.

I'm eligible for others such as for individual bands and modes (phone, CW, digital) but I didn't bother. I'll apply for 5 band, challenge and 160m when I'm eligible.

W3WN
04-20-2012, 10:26 PM
So, do you actually get to DXCC awards, or do they just update your old one or something?You get endorsement stickers when you pass certain milestones. One of these days, I really should put mine on.

You don't have to get the individual band/mode certificates. I did, but I didn't have to.

There's no cert for 5 Band. Just a gorgeous walnut plaque. It sure does look nice on the wall. I'm only now sorry that I procrastinated... it was about 6 - 7 years between the time I completed 5 band, and first started submitting my cards. So it goes.

KC9ECI
04-20-2012, 10:41 PM
The ARRL doesn't want my money badly enough as they still require me to be a member before they'll let me pay for a DXCC award.

N7YA
04-21-2012, 06:34 AM
Thats cool. I may do it one of these days, i have a lot of countries confirmed...too lazy, i guess. Its only important to other hams, i am hard pressed to remind people what ham radio is, much less what DXCC is. :lol:

Im quite happy with my little photo album of the best cards from each country. I have my little ritual when i get cards in the mail...and it doesnt involve chicken decapitation.

...well, not anymore.

N2RJ
04-21-2012, 10:57 AM
The ARRL doesn't want my money badly enough as they still require me to be a member before they'll let me pay for a DXCC award.

http://www.arrl.org/arrl-membership

I'm sure they'd rather have your dues money than the paltry $12 DXCC fee.

N2RJ
04-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Im quite happy with my little photo album of the best cards from each country. I have my little ritual when i get cards in the mail...and it doesnt involve chicken decapitation.

I stopped displaying and collecting cards. In fact most of my confirmations are LoTW. My cards are locked away in the safe just in case I need proof for DXCC beyond LoTW.

KJ3N
04-21-2012, 11:18 AM

They could also charge a slightly higher fee to non-members. I'll gladly pay up to $20 for a DXCC cert, but I'm not becoming a member. :hand: :snooty:

W3WN
04-21-2012, 11:27 AM
They could also charge a slightly higher fee to non-members. I'll gladly pay up to $20 for a DXCC cert, but I'm not becoming a member. :hand: :snooty:
Why don't you propose just that? Drop Bill N3LLR a note. (Yes, I know he lurks here from time to time as well, but that's personal, not, ah, official)

It can't hurt. The worst that will happen is no change in policy.

NQ6U
04-21-2012, 11:38 AM
I have some issues with the ARRL—for one thing, their refusal to grant my club affiliation (despite the fact that the San Diego Section Manager is a member) because Dick Norton, the butt-headed Southwestern Division director, has allowed a local nut-job to convince him of something that's not true—but overall it's worthwhile to give them your 35 bucks. The way things work in DC, hams need someone watching out for them on Capitol Hill.

KC9ECI
04-21-2012, 11:50 AM

More like $32.20. $12 application fee, $20.20 for the LoTW Payment Credit Fee. They're not getting the annual membership fee from me but they could have had my $32.20, or as someone suggested, charge a but more for non-members. I have no desire to spend another $40 or so just so I can have the privilege of giving them another $32.20 so I can hang a sheet of paper on the wall that no one really gives a rats ass about.

KJ3N
04-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Why don't you propose just that? Drop Bill N3LLR a note. (Yes, I know he lurks here from time to time as well, but that's personal, not, ah, official)

In over 70 years, I can't be the only one who has ever suggested a separate award fee schedule for non-members, Ron. I simply refuse to believe that.

N7YA
04-21-2012, 04:11 PM
I stopped displaying and collecting cards. In fact most of my confirmations are LoTW. My cards are locked away in the safe just in case I need proof for DXCC beyond LoTW.

Good idea. If something happens and i lose the album, that would be a real pisser...i worked my ass off for some of those.

N7YA
04-21-2012, 04:13 PM

Well, if he lurks here (Hi Bill, if you are seeing this)...then it sounds like an impromptu proposal right here. :yes:

Not a bad one, i might add. :chin:

W2NAP
04-21-2012, 08:10 PM
honestly if I was ever to qualify for any dxcc i still wouldnt pay for the paper. that cash could be used better

W3WN
04-22-2012, 05:06 PM
In over 70 years, I can't be the only one who has ever suggested a separate award fee schedule for non-members, Ron. I simply refuse to believe that.I'm not saying that you are.

The more that the Division Directors (who supposedly tell the Executive officers what to do, that's what it says on paper anyway) hear that there's support for this, the more likely that they are to take it up. To take no action means they hear little if anything, and then won't consider the proposal. That's all I'm saying.

KJ3N
04-22-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm not saying that you are.

The more that the Division Directors (who supposedly tell the Executive officers what to do, that's what it says on paper anyway) hear that there's support for this, the more likely that they are to take it up. To take no action means they hear little if anything, and then won't consider the proposal. That's all I'm saying.

And if the Division Directors dismiss all non-member input? What then? It's not like that doesn't happen. I've heard the stories of certain Directors telling non-members that they will only listen to ARRL members.

N2RJ
04-23-2012, 12:54 PM
More like $32.20. $12 application fee, $20.20 for the LoTW Payment Credit Fee. They're not getting the annual membership fee from me but they could have had my $32.20, or as someone suggested, charge a but more for non-members. I have no desire to spend another $40 or so just so I can have the privilege of giving them another $32.20 so I can hang a sheet of paper on the wall that no one really gives a rats ass about.

They still get that plus the membership fee from members.

They may want your money but at the same time, LoTW is a privilege of membership.

Don't like it, no one's forcing you to join. Plenty of awards out there. CQ magazine in particular has an extensive awards program and they accept eQSL too.

ARRL does plenty of good for ham radio, despite some of the bad things that they do or try to do.

W3WN
04-23-2012, 12:58 PM
And if the Division Directors dismiss all non-member input? What then? It's not like that doesn't happen. I've heard the stories of certain Directors telling non-members that they will only listen to ARRL members.I've heard the stories too. I even know a few of those... gentlemen.

That said: I know Bill. I think we're friends (insert obligatory wisecrack here). More importantly, and more germane to the point... I've seen Bill at many hamfests talk with hams on the issues, regardless of whether or not they're members. Of course, he'll try to recruit you to join the League (would you expect otherwise), but if you have a legit beef, he will listen.

I can't speak for him, of course, but I can tell you what I've seen.

W3WN
04-23-2012, 01:01 PM
They still get that plus the membership fee from members.

They may want your money but at the same time, LoTW is a privilege of membership.

Don't like it, no one's forcing you to join. Plenty of awards out there. CQ magazine in particular has an extensive awards program and they accept eQSL too.

ARRL does plenty of good for ham radio, despite some of the bad things that they do or try to do.The executive management listens to the Board. The Board, in turns, listens to membership input (and non-member input to a lesser extent... some do, some don't)

If you don't tell your Director how you feel about an issue, then how can you expect them to act on your behalf? Especially if they hear from the guys (and gals) on the other side of the issue.

It's as simple as that.

N2RJ
04-23-2012, 01:03 PM

Yeah, they could do that but as a member I'm happy the way it is. Let people who want to take advantage of the league's programs join and support the organization.

N2RJ
04-23-2012, 01:09 PM
The executive management listens to the Board. The Board, in turns, listens to membership input (and non-member input to a lesser extent... some do, some don't)

If you don't tell your Director how you feel about an issue, then how can you expect them to act on your behalf? Especially if they hear from the guys (and gals) on the other side of the issue.

It's as simple as that.

That would work except that a lot of officers run unchallenged so they can be deaf all they want.

That is changing though, and I have in the past supported people who challenged incumbents and will probably do so again in the future.

W3WN
04-23-2012, 01:25 PM
That would work except that a lot of officers run unchallenged so they can be deaf all they want.

That is changing though, and I have in the past supported people who challenged incumbents and will probably do so again in the future.Well, it's not an instantaneous process.

Yes, no question, some directors are deaf, or at least deaf when it doesn't pertain to their own personal agenda. But they're not stupid (and if they are, they they need voted out of office on general principles! but I digress). It's easy to ignore one letter or email. Or 10. Or even a 100. But when those letters & emails keep coming, and they are from a diverse group (as opposed to a one man letter writing campaign), the smart ones take notice. They may still not agree, but they will take notice, and hopefully think about alternatives.

We need more good people to run for these offices. Too many directors --- call them bozos, no offense to the real clowns out there -- in the past have won a popularity contest, or have been driven by an ego to have the job title, regardless of whether or not they can do the job. We need to get these bozos out of office.

KJ3N
04-23-2012, 02:48 PM

I was once on LoTW. I've never been a member. AFAIK, anyone with a license can be on LoTW.

Did they change that, too?

N2RJ
04-23-2012, 02:50 PM
I was once on LoTW. I've never been a member. AFAIK, anyone with a license can be on LoTW.

Did they change that, too?

I really meant redeeming LoTW credits for DXCC.

If I can't redeem the credits, then LoTW is pretty useless to me.

In fact I never bothered with eQSL.cc either until CQ mag awards got on board.

KJ3N
04-23-2012, 02:53 PM
I really meant redeeming LoTW credits for DXCC.

I've always understood that. Just making sure we're on the same page. Your brush was a little too wide in the other post.

If I can't redeem the credits, then LoTW is pretty useless to me.

Now you understand why I'm not on LoTW.

N2RJ
04-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Now you understand why I'm not on LoTW.

And for the most part, meh. You already said that you don't care for paper certificates a while back... I think you said you don't even keep a log?

To each his own. I like the pretty wallpaper and measuring my achievement against a trusted standard. I may not be the best DXer in the world but I am constantly looking to improve.

You may not, you may enjoy the thrill of the chase and just not care afterwards. NTTAWTT but to each his own.

However, the league reserves the right to make certain things available to members only. This includes QST/QEX archives and LoTW credit application towards DXCC. I don't see why non-members just don't understand this. They complain and tell us that our organization should change to accommodate them, yet they flat out refuse to join because they don't like to be part of our organization? That's like saying you want to receive communion yet don't want to be part of the church...

KJ3N
04-23-2012, 11:37 PM
I think you said you don't even keep a log?

Well, not anything that you could really count as a log. A lot of scraps of paper here and there, most of which I lose a month or 2 later.

To each his own. I like the pretty wallpaper and measuring my achievement against a trusted standard. I may not be the best DXer in the world but I am constantly looking to improve.

You may not, you may enjoy the thrill of the chase and just not care afterwards. NTTAWTT but to each his own.

That's pretty much it. I will occasionally set some arbitrary goal, but once it's done, I lose interest. That's what happened to me with 75M. Once I worked DXCC on that band in under a year (09/21/2006 to 09/10/2007), I haven't really spent much time on 75m since.

However, the league reserves the right to make certain things available to members only. This includes QST/QEX archives and LoTW credit application towards DXCC. I don't see why non-members just don't understand this. They complain and tell us that our organization should change to accommodate them, yet they flat out refuse to join because they don't like to be part of our organization? That's like saying you want to receive communion yet don't want to be part of the church...

Don't know about anyone else, but I understand it just fine. I just think it shouldn't be a big deal to allow non-members to submit paper cards, pay a premium (higher) fee if need be, and get a DXCC certificate.

If they don't want to do that, fine by me. Wallpaper has never been very important to me. If it was, I'd actually keep a real log.

N2RJ
04-24-2012, 11:38 AM
. I just think it shouldn't be a big deal to allow non-members to submit paper cards, pay a premium (higher) fee if need be, and get a DXCC certificate.

Would you agree if the fee was twice what members pay? That's what CQ mag does.

KJ3N
04-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Would you agree if the fee was twice what members pay? That's what CQ mag does.

Assuming the fee for a DXCC certificate is $12, then I'm not very upset @ $24. I believe I've already stated I'd fork over $20.

N2RJ
04-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Assuming the fee for a DXCC certificate is $12, then I'm not very upset @ $24. I believe I've already stated I'd fork over $20.

I meant the LoTW fees as well.

KJ3N
04-24-2012, 01:35 PM
I meant the LoTW fees as well.

I don't plan on using LoTW.

N2RJ
04-25-2012, 09:30 AM
They processed my app yesterday, now just waiting on the endorsements in the mail. :)

wm3o
04-25-2012, 10:38 AM
still need 3 confirmed on 80m for 5BDXCC :(

W3WN
04-25-2012, 10:41 AM
They processed my app yesterday, now just waiting on the endorsements in the mail. :)When did you submit?

I'm curious, I did a field submission at the club hamfest at the end of February, and last I checked the other day, it still hadn't processed. Should be any time.

One thing I think I'm going to like about the "new" procedure is going to be the ability to pre-upload your submission. Seems kind of dumb to dump my (extracts selected for submission) QSL database into a spreadsheet, print it, have it checked, have it mailed to Newington, and then someone has to manually retype it into the DXCC computer... should be much more efficient to just compare the checked list to the uploaded spreadsheet, and upload to the system anything that's checked off as OK.

W3WN
04-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Patience, grasshopper. They will come.

I still remember sitting on 99 confirmed (or so I thought), and then discovering one day that I'd misclassified in my database an Easter Island card... so I'd been at 100 confirmed for quite some time and hadn't known it! A good feeling, yet an anti-climactic one at the same time.

wm3o
04-25-2012, 11:04 AM
A good feeling, yet an anti-climactic one at the same time.

they make a pill for that ::wink::

N2RJ
04-27-2012, 11:19 AM
When did you submit?

Friday 04/20.

However, this was strictly a LoTW app. I'm doing the paper one separate. That should push me up to 250.

I'm curious, I did a field submission at the club hamfest at the end of February, and last I checked the other day, it still hadn't processed. Should be any time.

LoTW apps are processed within 5 business days. Everything else is processed normal time (slow).

One thing I think I'm going to like about the "new" procedure is going to be the ability to pre-upload your submission. Seems kind of dumb to dump my (extracts selected for submission) QSL database into a spreadsheet, print it, have it checked, have it mailed to Newington, and then someone has to manually retype it into the DXCC computer... should be much more efficient to just compare the checked list to the uploaded spreadsheet, and upload to the system anything that's checked off as OK.

Yeah I agree. When I'm up to 300 I am going to HQ and do it there. Never been to HQ. Should be a nice a trip!

N2RJ
04-27-2012, 11:23 AM

I need 29 confirmed for 5 band. Actually it's mostly just sending out for cards.

Mind you, most of my DXCC is from contesting and chasing the occasional DXpedition. I'm not really a hard core DXer, just a contester who happens to work a lot of DX.

N2RJ
04-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Speaking of awards, I now have CQ WPX at 1066 prefixes. They endorsed me for 1050 prefixes.

The fee was $6 plus postage (I'm a CQ subscriber).

It's another award to chase and no membership in anything is required. They even accept eQSLs. However the fee is double for non subscribers.

The app process is easy - just use the interface in eQSL and then email the awards manager (Steve, N8BJQ). You can pay by PayPal or mail a check.

When they bring LoTW online for CQ awards I'm going to apply for WAZ. I have enough for WAZ and I should be able to get 5 band WAZ with some effort.

wa6mhz
04-27-2012, 11:31 AM
I had to pay $60 for my HONOR ROLL Plaque! Money well spent!

wa6mhz
04-27-2012, 11:34 AM
I need 29 confirmed for 5 band. Actually it's mostly just sending out for cards.

Mind you, most of my DXCC is from contesting and chasing the occasional DXpedition. I'm not really a hard core DXer, just a contester who happens to work a lot of DX.
80 and 40 are a BEAR from the West Coast! I have probably 99 to go on 80, and 90 or so to go on 40. But the rest of the bands are covered. I can't get up a decent antenna for 80 & 40 no matter how hard I try or how much money I throw at it! You need a big tall TREE to get up a worthwhile 80/40 dipole! I have a pine tree, and it is GROWING but still not tall enough yet!

W3WN
04-27-2012, 12:05 PM
80 and 40 are a BEAR from the West Coast! I have probably 99 to go on 80, and 90 or so to go on 40. But the rest of the bands are covered. I can't get up a decent antenna for 80 & 40 no matter how hard I try or how much money I throw at it! You need a big tall TREE to get up a worthwhile 80/40 dipole! I have a pine tree, and it is GROWING but still not tall enough yet!
Repeat after me:

Ommmmmmmmmmmm
Butternut Butternut Butternut Butternut
Ommmmmmmmmmmm

Repeat mantra as neccesary until it sinks in.

And that means radials/counterpoise.

N2RJ
04-27-2012, 02:25 PM
http://www.n2rj.com/resistance.jpg

N7YA
04-27-2012, 04:08 PM
So NO Hotlinking! :lol:

KC9ECI
04-27-2012, 04:13 PM
just use the interface in eQSL and then email the awards manager (Steve, N8BJQ).

Did you not once tell me in a thread on QRZ that you would never use eQSL because you didn't agree with software patents? May have been someone else, but for some reason I feel like it was you.

N7YA
04-27-2012, 04:22 PM
:chin:

KJ3N
04-27-2012, 04:37 PM
Did you not once tell me in a thread on QRZ that you would never use eQSL because you didn't agree with software patents? May have been someone else, but for some reason I feel like it was you.

That's my recollection as well.

N2RJ
04-27-2012, 07:09 PM

I did at one time boycott them for that reason but I started using it because people who I made contacts with kept asking. And while I was in it, I figured I might as well just get whatever awards I'm eligible for.

I still don't like software patents but I figure that giving hams who eQSL a QSL they want overrides that. The final courtesy and all that stuff.

They aren't patented, yet anyway. They are just patent pending. In the event that they decide to start suing other electronic QSL systems, I believe that they will lose a lot of goodwill in the amateur community. That is if they are granted their patents in the first place, and I don't think they will be.

So no harm, for now.

I kind of wish the LoTW haters would at least give them a try. No patents and the security measures are a PITA initially but it's smooth sailing once you set up.

W3WN
04-27-2012, 09:24 PM
I don't see them getting a software patent. I was doing pretty much the same thing for a company I worked for back a ways back, using dBase III+/Clipper for a database management system. And I wasn't the only one.

So they aren't doing anything all that new or original.

N2RJ
04-27-2012, 09:54 PM
I don't see them getting a software patent.

I don't, but N5UP applied for them:

http://www.eqsl.cc/qslcard/Article001.cfm

" The concept is such a breakthrough, we have patents pending on its technology."

Um, yeah. OK.

KC9ECI
04-28-2012, 06:44 AM
11 years later and the patent is still pending. I suspect there have been enough changes in the technology by now that whatever he had that was special has gone the way of the dinosaur.

WØTKX
04-28-2012, 08:18 AM
I don't see them getting a software patent. I was doing pretty much the same thing for a company I worked for back a ways back, using dBase III+/Clipper for a database management system. And I wasn't the only one.

So they aren't doing anything all that new or original.

And before dBase, there was Vulcan. All hail the dot prompt! :geek:

W3WN
04-29-2012, 06:03 PM
I don't, but N5UP applied for them:

http://www.eqsl.cc/qslcard/Article001.cfm

" The concept is such a breakthrough, we have patents pending on its technology."

Um, yeah. OK.Sure he did. What was that, 10 years ago? 15? I forget.

When eQSL first started printed "QSL" cards and mailing them, for a fee, becoming your de facto QSL manager, I objected and told N5UP that I did not want my cards so processed. I got back from him an email lecture on how complicated database technology is.

That is not a wise thing to send to a Database Administrator. Especially when what he's doing with his system isn't complicated.

What's he going to patent? That he uses a technology for printing post cards or mailing labels, including a graphic picture in the background? Exactly how can he patent that? We could do that with dBase II & Visicalc!

N2RJ
04-30-2012, 11:40 AM
11 years later and the patent is still pending. I suspect there have been enough changes in the technology by now that whatever he had that was special has gone the way of the dinosaur.

Don't be so sure of that. It's how TiVo is still alive today.

KC9ECI
04-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Don't be so sure of that. It's how TiVo is still alive today.

TiVo is still around?

N2RJ
05-01-2012, 08:52 AM
TiVo is still around?

Absolutely and since dish settled the $500m lawsuit their balance sheet is healthy.