PDA

View Full Version : Diamond DX for non ARRL Members

W3WN
04-19-2012, 09:37 AM
OK, we're having a little fun over yonder about the Diamond DXCC Challenge.

For those not following it, simply put, since Jim isn't a League member, he's not eligible for the certificate. So I've offered, when he accomplishes said goal, to print one up for him.

While this started out as a joke amongst friends (we are all friends aren't we? Aren't we? Bueller? Bueller?)... I hereby propose to seriously do this... as an Unofficial Island of Misfit Hams "Diamond DX" challenge.

Simply put: All ARRL DDXCCC rules apply. Eligibility: Anyone who qualifies for the DDXCCC, regardless of whether or not you're a League member. (In short, work 100 "countries" or "entities" based on the original pre-WW2 DXCC list)

Cost: To be determined, but basically, shipping or mailing cost. Well, except Jim, since I already promised him one, so he gets a freebie.

Now: The Certificate design. Clearly it will have a tropical theme. But we can have a little fun with it... black helicopters, tacos, Motorola APU's, UT's standing by, a particular Johnny Cash single, the main mechanical protaganist from a certain Spielberg movie to represent... well, you'll figure it out... and so forth.

Waddya think?

KC2UGV
04-19-2012, 09:40 AM
I think it's a cool idea :)

KB3LAZ
04-19-2012, 09:57 AM
We can even make our own WAS. Worked all staff. =)

wa6mhz
04-19-2012, 10:04 AM
and W.A.C. (worked all CATS!)

KB3LAZ
04-19-2012, 10:15 AM

You taught your cats to work CW? Your cats are smarter than my cat was. She liked to cross the road. =(

kb2vxa
04-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Not as hard as you may think.

W2NAP
04-19-2012, 10:26 AM

that pussy may get a rf burn

NQ6U
04-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Sounds like a great idea. I can supply artwork from the Island logo I worked up for the still-in-progress site redesign if you want it.

W7XF
04-19-2012, 11:52 AM
How about WAGH (WORKED ALL GAY HAMS) :rofl:

W3WN
04-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Jim's on the ball. Er, so to speak.

He caught my subtle reference over yonder to a Johnny Cash single right away.

And I really hope I don't have to explain that one to the majority over here...

ki4itv
04-19-2012, 01:08 PM
"...in the mud, and the blood, and the beer.".

NQ6U
04-19-2012, 01:16 PM

I hear cats really improve the bandwidth of UHF yagis.

W5GA
04-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Jim's on the ball. Er, so to speak.

He caught my subtle reference over yonder to a Johnny Cash single right away.

And I really hope I don't have to explain that one to the majority over here...
Sorry, I'm feeling particularly mentally challenged right now, you'll have to clue me in.

KJ3N
04-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Sorry, I'm feeling particularly mentally challenged right now, you'll have to clue me in.

Send him a PM, Ron. I'm not going to explain it. :rofl:

KJ3N
04-19-2012, 07:40 PM
BTW, Ron, if you've followed the thread from the beginning, you see "your boy" is being his usual jackass self before we get to page 2 of the thread in question. :roll:

W3WN
04-19-2012, 07:48 PM
BTW, Ron, if you've followed the thread from the beginning, you see "your boy" is being his usual jackass self before we get to page 2 of the thread in question. :roll:I noticed.

And while he sure acts immature enough to be considered a boy, he sure as hell ain't mine. If he was, I'd kick his ass... literally.

W3WN
04-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Sorry, I'm feeling particularly mentally challenged right now, you'll have to clue me in.OK, let me give you a hint:

Johnny Cash performed two "hit" novelty songs. One was about a guy who worked at a auto assembly plant, who stole a car... one piece at a time. What was the name of the other well-known novelty song?

KJ3N
04-19-2012, 08:13 PM
I noticed.

And while he sure acts immature enough to be considered a boy, he sure as hell ain't mine. If he was, I'd kick his ass... literally.

Interesting how he got all bent out of shape when I suggested the goal wasn't that hard. :chin: :lol:

KB3LAZ
04-19-2012, 08:36 PM
OK, let me give you a hint:

Johnny Cash performed two "hit" novelty songs. One was about a guy who worked at a auto assembly plant, who stole a car... one piece at a time. What was the name of the other well-known novelty song?

So the dude has an STD. ;)

NA4BH
04-19-2012, 08:39 PM

LOL

NA4BH
04-19-2012, 08:49 PM
"...in the mud, and the blood, and the beer.".

That's that Garth Brooks guy? Damned Ol' Rodeo

kb2vxa
04-19-2012, 08:55 PM
"Johnny Cash performed two "hit" novelty songs. One was about a guy who worked at a auto assembly plant, who stole a car... one piece at a time. What was the name of the other well-known novelty song?"

Since nobody else answered it, A Boy Named Sue.

NA4BH
04-19-2012, 08:56 PM
"Johnny Cash performed two "hit" novelty songs. One was about a guy who worked at a auto assembly plant, who stole a car... one piece at a time. What was the name of the other well-known novelty song?"

Since nobody else answered it, A Boy Named Sue.

Each part was from a different year vehicle.

N7YA
04-20-2012, 05:49 AM
I would like to get in on the Island DXCC...i may need an endorsement sticker. Sounds cool, let me know.

W3WN
04-20-2012, 07:34 AM
Each part was from a different year vehicle.
That was the "gag" that made the song funny.

W3WN
04-20-2012, 07:36 AM
I would like to get in on the Island DXCC...i may need an endorsement sticker. Sounds cool, let me know.Well, hold on a sec Sparky. We're talking about the "Diamond Anniversary" flavor that's being offered for this year only, not the, ah, "regular" one.

If we're going to offer a semi-serious 100 entity award (and we shouldn't call it DXCC, I think the League's lawyers would have something to say about that... and they'd be right, so why look for trouble?) we need to talk about it a little big more.

N7YA
04-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Im in. No matter what its to be called.....Big Kahuna Centurion Award. Or maybe the Dueling Xylophone Concerto Certificate, if you want to poke at a certain "other" award...all in the spirit of fun.

NQ6U
04-20-2012, 11:18 AM
I worked Estonia the other night. Only 70 more to go...

KJ3N
04-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Well, hold on a sec Sparky. We're talking about the "Diamond Anniversary" flavor that's being offered for this year only, not the, ah, "regular" one.

If we're going to offer a semi-serious 100 entity award (and we shouldn't call it DXCC, I think the League's lawyers would have something to say about that... and they'd be right, so why look for trouble?) we need to talk about it a little big more.

Well, hurry up, damn it! I'm up to 49 as of 5 minutes ago. ;) :lol:

KJ3N
04-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Add Papua, New Guinea (YB9) and Java (YB2) to the list. That makes 51. :agree:

KJ3N
04-22-2012, 09:45 PM

For those not following it, simply put, since Jim isn't a League member, he's not eligible for the certificate. So I've offered, when he accomplishes said goal, to print one up for him.

While this started out as a joke amongst friends (we are all friends aren't we? Aren't we? Bueller? Bueller?)... I hereby propose to seriously do this... as an Unofficial Island of Misfit Hams "Diamond DX" challenge.

Simply put: All ARRL DDXCCC rules apply. Eligibility: Anyone who qualifies for the DDXCCC, regardless of whether or not you're a League member. (In short, work 100 "countries" or "entities" based on the original pre-WW2 DXCC list)

Cost: To be determined, but basically, shipping or mailing cost. Well, except Jim, since I already promised him one, so he gets a freebie.

Now: The Certificate design. Clearly it will have a tropical theme. But we can have a little fun with it... black helicopters, tacos, Motorola APU's, UT's standing by, a particular Johnny Cash single, the main mechanical protaganist from a certain Spielberg movie to represent... well, you'll figure it out... and so forth.

Waddya think?

I think we'd better get this hammered out soon. I'm up to 62. ;)

W3WN
04-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Well, a mild case of lousy tasteless rubber chicken knocked me on my butt most of last night... but you're right.

OK, so first off... name? "Island of Misfit Hams Unofficial DX Diamond Certificate" just doesn't have quite the right ring to it.

KC2UGV
04-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Well, a mild case of lousy tasteless rubber chicken knocked me on my butt most of last night... but you're right.

OK, so first off... name? "Island of Misfit Hams Unofficial DX Diamond Certificate" just doesn't have quite the right ring to it.

Misfit Diamond DX Certificate. To preclude issues surrounding another venture with a too-close sounding name to this site here.

KJ3N
04-23-2012, 08:12 AM

Misfit Diamond DX Certificate. To preclude issues surrounding another venture with a too-close sounding name to this site here.

Diamond In The Rough DX Certificate?

N7YA
04-23-2012, 08:24 AM
The equivalent of Honor Roll should simply be called the Albi Award. Thoughts?

wm3o
04-23-2012, 08:41 AM
why exactly do you want to emulate an award from an organization you don't want to join?

W3WN
04-23-2012, 12:43 PM
why exactly do you want to emulate an award from an organization you don't want to join?Whoa! Hold your horses there son.

This started as my offer to Jim to provide him an equivalent of the wall paper that he can't get due to a technicality. But I am a member of the ARRL and have been since 1972. So please keep your facts in order.

There is certainly nothing wrong with an organization, any organization, offering to recognize someone's ability to contact 100 DX entities, or countries, or whatever you want to call them. It's not exactly easy. WorldRadio, prior to it's absorbtion & assimilation by CQ, offered a similar award, for one example, and I believe many national organizations overseas do the same. To say nothing of the 'e100' award that eQSL offers.

If this doesn't interest you, fine. Don't worry about it, and we shall go on our merry way.

W3WN
04-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Diamond In The Rough DX Certificate?
Nah. Too much like Disney's pastuerized version of Aladdin.

W3WN
04-23-2012, 12:46 PM
The equivalent of Honor Roll should simply be called the Albi Award. Thoughts?Hmmm. I don't know if this will ever get as far as worrying about Honor Roll (and frankly, I think too many DX'ers worry about that as it is). But I do like the idea of working "W3MIV Memorial DX Award" in some form or another into the name.

KJ3N
04-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Nah. Too much like Disney's pastuerized version of Aladdin.

Miscreant DX Certificate? ;)

K7SGJ
04-23-2012, 01:14 PM

How bout the Vermin 100 ?? Issued, of couse, by the IOMH. I just hope the rednecks don't think it's another NASCAR event.

The award could be presented by who else??????? None other than Miss Coconut

That aint no Earl Scheib paint job, either.

wm3o
04-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Whoa! Hold your horses there son.

my point wasn't calling into question the award per se, but rather that it was emulating an existing award (the Diamond DXCC) - why not develop a unique award that has some different twist. instead of mirroring the Diamond DXCC's 12 months time period, how about doing an award for working 100 in 30 days or working the all former British colonies (damn, that would be really tough).

i guess i'm saying do something unique.

N2RJ
04-23-2012, 02:49 PM
or working the all former British colonies (damn, that would be really tough).

It would be easier if you're in Canada because you can then take part in the commonwealth contest.

wm3o
04-23-2012, 03:34 PM
It would be easier if you're in Canada because you can then take part in the commonwealth contest.

i collect Canadian coins, so maybe i can be an honorary Canuck ;)

it's pretty dang hard, the British Empire was vast.

NA4BH
04-23-2012, 03:39 PM
i collect Canadian coins, so maybe i can be an honorary Canuck ;)

it's pretty dang hard, the British Empire was vast.

Speaking of Canadian coins, what about the "Glow in the dark" quarters?

wm3o
04-23-2012, 03:49 PM
Speaking of Canadian coins, what about the "Glow in the dark" quarters?

i only collect coins minted for circulation, those "fancy" coins, ugh. better off buying lotto tickets, they'll have more value ;)

N7YA
04-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Hmmm. I don't know if this will ever get as far as worrying about Honor Roll (and frankly, I think too many DX'ers worry about that as it is). But I do like the idea of working "W3MIV Memorial DX Award" in some form or another into the name.

No worries. I just figured it would be our own little Island thing.

N7YA
04-23-2012, 05:42 PM
i only collect coins minted for circulation, those "fancy" coins, ugh. better off buying lotto tickets, they'll have more value ;)

I totally understand. Its like those Franklin Mint pieces of scrap metal, or tv offered "Commemoratives". Aside from what you can swindle out of someone in resale, they are worthless. But i do love the way they sell it on tv...eagles flying and flags waving, images of firefighters and Marines with glorious, heroic music behind it. All the buzzwords and delivery designed to make you feel like a jerk for not buying one or 20. My particular favorite is the 9/11 metal discs (the main one im making fun of here, BTW), when they say "with point nine nine nine nine, thats four nines!". And "SILVER, PURE, CLAD, DOUBLE, ISSUE, AMERICA, (nonmonetary), GENUINE, HEROES, GLORY!". And my favorite..."Avoid disappointment and future regret!". :lol:

wm3o
04-23-2012, 06:00 PM
silver, clad. hahahaha.

ki4itv
04-23-2012, 06:10 PM
And my favorite..."Avoid disappointment and future regret!". :lol:

My favorite part too...it's like they wrote their own punchline. Cracks me up.
"number nine, number nine, number nine"

N7YA
04-23-2012, 06:16 PM
How about the "coins" with the pop-up twin towers? I thought the whole thing was tasteless, IMO.

Lets make money off the death of thousands and the country flying into a perpetual tailspin! HOORAY!! Lame.

...but i digress. :)

W3WN
04-23-2012, 07:48 PM
How bout the Vermin 100 ?? Issued, of couse, by the IOMH. I just hope the rednecks don't think it's another NASCAR event.

The award could be presented by who else??????? None other than Miss Coconut

That aint no Earl Scheib paint job, either.Oh, there are much better pictures over on VoyeurWeb.

(What? Oh, hush. Hey, I may be married, but I ain't dead yet!)

N7YA
04-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Wow! Joyce Brothers lets loose!

W5GA
04-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Too bad she looks like 30 miles of bad road.

K7SGJ
04-24-2012, 03:22 PM

You know, now that you mention it, she does. I hadn't gotten that far along yet.

N7YA
04-25-2012, 03:15 AM

:agree: ...yep.

I love boobies, but she looks like the grill of an old Buick up top.

kf0rt
04-25-2012, 12:50 PM
:agree: ...yep.

I love boobies, but she looks like the grill of an old Buick up top.

And with all that makeup, it's hard to tell about the rest.

N7YA
04-25-2012, 04:07 PM
They forgot to stop painting, it seems.

KJ3N
04-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Hmmm. I don't know if this will ever get as far as worrying about Honor Roll (and frankly, I think too many DX'ers worry about that as it is). But I do like the idea of working "W3MIV Memorial DX Award" in some form or another into the name.

"Are we there yet?" ;)

4Z4DX is #70. :whistle:

I'm actually a bit behind schedule. Work, lousy A and K indexes for several days, and a new noise source I'm trying to track down, kept me from getting to #75 by the end of this past week. Still, I think I'm on track to get there (100) by the end of May.

Hope springs eternal...

ETA: TF3GB and VU2NKS brings me up to 72.

N7YA
04-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Damn east coasters! You get all the juicy stuff.....then again, we get all the stuff you guys never get to hear. I feel sorry for the guys in the middle, or "the black hole" as i've heard it called.

KJ3N
04-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Damn east coasters! You get all the juicy stuff..

You know what they say, don't hate the player.... ;) :lol:

...then again, we get all the stuff you guys never get to hear.

Like Asia, Indonesia, and the South Pacific (Guam, Marshall Island, etc.). Things I only hear on the rarest of occasions. :(

Still, YB9WAN and YB2TJV were pretty nice feathers in my cap. ;)

ETA: Oh, and I'm now up to 75 for DDXCC as of an hour and a half ago.

N7YA
04-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Its all good, DXCC is valid as long as you are in the CONUS...im on the west end now, in a few years, ill be in Maine...should fix the problem. ;)

wm3o
04-30-2012, 07:33 AM
if i change geographic locations i will start my DXCC hunt anew. as for the DDXCC, keep at it KJ3N, 25 more to go. if you get that Yemen, that will be a nice one.

KJ3N
04-30-2012, 09:53 AM
as for the DDXCC, keep at it KJ3N, 25 more to go.

Actually, as of about 10 minutes ago, only 19 to go.

if you get that Yemen, that will be a nice one.

I'm not even going to try for at least the first 4-5 days. It's going to be mass insanity. :hand:

wm3o
04-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Actually, as of about 10 minutes ago, only 19 to go.

I'm not even going to try for at least the first 4-5 days. It's going to be mass insanity. :hand:

i'll be getting Yemen pretty early on.

NQ6U
04-30-2012, 11:16 AM

Yumpin' Yemini!

(Sorry, just had to say that...)

wm3o
04-30-2012, 08:08 PM

and i did, within 40 minutes of them going QRV i worked them on 15 CW, w00t!

N7YA
04-30-2012, 11:51 PM

Ill be way over here in the west listening to you guys get Yemen pretty early on. :(

W3WN
05-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Ill be way over here in the west listening to you guys get Yemen pretty early on. :(Just give it a few days. They're going to be there for 2 weeks.

Assuming the military doesn't decide to shut them down.

KJ3N
05-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Just give it a few days. They're going to be there for 2 weeks.

I'm in no hurry.

In the mean time, only 17 more to go, Ron. You got that title worked out yet? ;)

N2RJ
05-01-2012, 11:23 AM
if i change geographic locations i will start my DXCC hunt anew.

I don't think ARRL will allow you to. Will they?

N2RJ
05-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Just give it a few days. They're going to be there for 2 weeks.

Assuming the military doesn't decide to shut them down.

Big assumption, and is reason #2 why I chose to get into the pileups hot and heavy the first night.

Reason #1 of course is that working large pileups is a challenge. I love the thrill.

W3WN
05-01-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm in no hurry.

In the mean time, only 17 more to go, Ron. You got that title worked out yet? ;)No, not yet.

W3WN
05-01-2012, 12:28 PM
For DXCC, if you move within the same entity (country), they still all count. (I don't know if it's always been this way, or if it's a fairly recent rules change)

However, for WAS, I believe it's either 50 or 75 miles... I'd have to look it up... if you move more than that distance, you have to start over.

W3WN
05-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Big assumption, and is reason #2 why I chose to get into the pileups hot and heavy the first night.

Reason #1 of course is that working large pileups is a challenge. I love the thrill.Well, considering where they are, the military may not care. It's not like they could be accused of spying on the government, or something equally absurd like that. Still, it's always a risk that this could happen.

I like busting a pileup as well... but my station is a touch more modest than yours. If I want being-hit-on-the-head lessons, I'll head down the hall, I don't have to self-administer!

wm3o
05-02-2012, 07:43 AM

my personal tracking of DXCC will start fresh, but i have no plans to ever leave my crap house in my crap town in my crap state. ;)

N7YA
05-02-2012, 08:01 AM
my personal tracking of DXCC will start fresh, but i have no plans to ever leave my crap house in my crap town in my crap state. ;)

In a few years, we will leave our killer house with the killer view in a seriously crap town in a vastly empty state....then im putting up a 4 element quad, dammit!

K7SGJ
05-02-2012, 08:16 AM
In a few years, we will leave our killer house with the killer view in a seriously crap town in a vastly empty state....then im putting up a 4 element quad, dammit!

Just curious, I can understand wanting to leave Las Vegas, but what made you decide on Maine. I imagine it's really nice in the summer, and pretty in the spring and fall. I would think that part of the US would be a great place to go junkin, and that's one thing we love to do. I've never been there, and don't know much about it, but would like to see it before I go to that big ham shack in the sky.

N7YA
05-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Its my kind of terrain. I was born waaaay up north in Limestone, right on the Brunny border, and my wife lived in Brunswick, a college town on the coast...well, the coast is absolutely beautiful. Its a GOP state and the winters are pretty harsh, but i grew up in Alaska so its a whatever to me. :lol: Were thinking the coast would be nice, a bit pricey, but we will prepare for that as we are mindful in that area.

We are not city folk, we are very solitary and like to be left to do our own thing and not bother anyone else. The people of Maine are great! They fit that bill nicely, and you just know when a place calls to you. This place were living in now? It just screams at us. No bueno.

K7SGJ
05-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Very good. We are the same way when it comes to being solitary. I would die before going back to the city, or shortly thereafter. Actually, I think cave life might appeal to me, but it requires longer coax runs. Anyway, it's great to know what you want, and I hope you and your family find it. Good luck on the search.

N7YA
05-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Thank you. :) We spend a portion of every day thinking about it...mainly everytime we leave this house, we are reminded of how much these people suck here. I dont like feeling that way. I know for a fact that Mainers are not that kind of folk, they are no nonsense and not nearly as materialistic as they are here. We need to get a few things done first. My son to graduate, thats soon, no problem. Get the business running on its own steam, enough to have the money in the bank that we need in there, that will happen as we are very determined people. And i also want to see how far i can take this music career before i retire to the coast and spend my days recording and playing local bars there for fun and chicken scratch. I dont believe in rushing things before theyre ready, it usually leaves you with some regrets.

Soon!

K7SGJ
05-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Sounds like you have the bull by the tentacles. At least you have a plan to acheive your dream.

W3WN
05-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Thank you. :) We spend a portion of every day thinking about it...mainly everytime we leave this house, we are reminded of how much these people suck here. I dont like feeling that way. I know for a fact that Mainers are not that kind of folk, they are no nonsense and not nearly as materialistic as they are here. We need to get a few things done first. My son to graduate, thats soon, no problem. Get the business running on its own steam, enough to have the money in the bank that we need in there, that will happen as we are very determined people. And i also want to see how far i can take this music career before i retire to the coast and spend my days recording and playing local bars there for fun and chicken scratch. I dont believe in rushing things before theyre ready, it usually leaves you with some regrets.

Soon!I know you can't wait. Just please work me on 160 from NV before you go! :pray:

...which is going to be very tough later this year. My neighbor told me that sometime this fall, before winter, he's going to have to remove the tree that's been supporting (with his permission... in fact, his encouragement) my inverted "L". It's mostly dead (& there's no loose change in it's garments) and he doesn't want it to be a hazard. As lousy as that was, it had potential; now I'm going to have to come up with something else.

KJ3N
05-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Good news: Added 7O6T and 4S7NE to the list. This brings me to 86. :agree:

Bad news: Spent a good chunk of the day waiting for the serviceman to replace the circulator pump on the boiler system. :(

N7YA
05-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Good news: Added 7O6T and 4S7NE to the list. This brings me to 86. :agree:

Bad news: Spent a good chunk of the day waiting for the serviceman to replace the circulator pump on the boiler system. :(

Phooey! I still need both of those....its been a QRN-fest over here. Sigs have really sucked this cycle, not unworkable, but its certainly not as killer as the last cycle where i could basically yell out the window and load the logbook.

N7YA
05-03-2012, 04:06 PM
I know you can't wait. Just please work me on 160 from NV before you go! :pray:

Ron, if i had the room for a 160 antenna, you would be top on the list! There is a glimmer, however. I will be buying a truck in a few months, and then a new rig next year (at least thats the plan), and i want to do some camping/mobile DXing. I plan on getting out to the wide open spaces and setting up an elaborate wire array and seeing what i can rustle up...this includes 160m since i have only one station on 160...total! I will keep you in mind, as well as keep the Island up to date here and there. Be patient with me, unless of course, you find another NV before then. :)

KJ3N
05-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Looks like I'm going to miss my goal of DDXCC by the end of this month. :irked:

Only up to 98 and I have to work tomorrow and Wednesday. :(

On the bright side, I did add 5H3CMG and YI1RZ to the tally today.

N7YA
05-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Holy crap! This WPX weekend has been good to me...6 all time new ones in 52 contacts (and having to go to work both days)!! And a new one right before that. 7 total! What a trip, sometimes it happens in torrents.

Sudan is a nice addition though, especially with my low power/wire setup from the southwestg...quite happy. This should hold me for a while.....naaaah, im going to keep looking, Somalia is still out there. :)

Im still looking for that elusive Iraq station, that would be nice to have in the album.

W3WN
05-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Holy crap! This WPX weekend has been good to me...6 all time new ones in 52 contacts (and having to go to work both days)!! And a new one right before that. 7 total! What a trip, sometimes it happens in torrents.

Sudan is a nice addition though, especially with my low power/wire setup from the southwestg...quite happy. This should hold me for a while.....naaaah, im going to keep looking, Somalia is still out there. :)

Im still looking for that elusive Iraq station, that would be nice to have in the album.Not bad, not bad at all. Well done!

I never got on for WPX; just too much to do this weekend. Did get to watch a good pitcher's duel Friday night (and the Pirates won, amazingly enough), and spent most of the day Sat & Sun in the garden (and everything's planted!). So I'm still at about 80 worked for DDXCC. Plenty of time to finish, though.

KJ3N
05-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Looks like I'm going to miss my goal of DDXCC by the end of this month. :irked:

Only up to 98 and I have to work tomorrow and Wednesday. :(

On the bright side, I did add 5H3CMG and YI1RZ to the tally today.

Guess I spoke too soon. ES4RZ and PY2EL now added to the tally. DDXCC achieved.

Maybe I should add a few more?

N7YA
05-29-2012, 05:11 AM
Yes! Yes you should! Never enough DX in the log. :)

KJ3N
05-29-2012, 09:03 PM

Waddya think?

I think it's time to deliver. ;) :lol:

W3WN
06-19-2012, 08:53 AM
I think it's time to deliver. ;) :lol:
We're coming up on a month, and I still haven't seen the list of 100 you worked.

KJ3N
06-19-2012, 10:11 AM
We're coming up on a month, and I still haven't seen the list of 100 you worked.

Let's see if I can attach it to this post...

Nope. See your PM, Ron.

W3WN
06-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Got the file. As I told you, I probably won't get to it until after Field Day, but I will get to it.

W3WN
07-01-2012, 01:45 PM
OK! Time to give this thread a well deserved bump to the top, with a reason...

Jim KJ3N has sent me proof that he has indeed met the criteria for the Diamond DXCC certification... so as promised, I owe him a certificate.

Fair enough.

So... before I print & send him the 'official' unofficial certificate, here's a proof of what I have in mind. Simple, and I decided against the 'cute' graphics and such. On the other hand, I'm not sure about the wording... and I want to make it clear that this is from the membership, not the management/ownership, of this place, just to avoid the legal entanglements.
So, what do you think?

NQ6U
07-01-2012, 01:53 PM
I like it in concept, but the layout is a little awkward. I'd say either move all the text onto the picture or make it more clear that you overlapped it on purpose. The way it is now, it just looks like you accidentally let it run off onto the right margin.

KJ3N
07-01-2012, 04:01 PM
OK! Time to give this thread a well deserved bump to the top, with a reason...

Jim KJ3N has sent me proof that he has indeed met the criteria for the Diamond DXCC certification... so as promised, I owe him a certificate.

Fair enough.

So... before I print & send him the 'official' unofficial certificate, here's a proof of what I have in mind. Simple, and I decided against the 'cute' graphics and such. On the other hand, I'm not sure about the wording... and I want to make it clear that this is from the membership, not the management/ownership, of this place, just to avoid the legal entanglements.
So, what do you think?

You left out an "s" at the end of my last name. :neener:

W3WN
07-01-2012, 04:15 PM
You left out an "s" at the end of my last name. :neener:That's why it's a proof. :twisted:

W3WN
07-01-2012, 04:17 PM
I like it in concept, but the layout is a little awkward. I'd say either move all the text onto the picture or make it more clear that you overlapped it on purpose. The way it is now, it just looks like you accidentally let it run off onto the right margin.The right-side formatting was intentional. It doesn't actually go off the end, that's an inaccurate print preview that's the cause of that in the image capture.

But centering it? Not a problem.

NQ6U
07-01-2012, 04:19 PM
The right-side formatting was intentional. It doesn't actually go off the end, that's an inaccurate print preview that's the cause of that in the image capture.

But centering it? Not a problem.

No, don't center it. As long as the text isn't running off the right side it'll be just fine.

KJ3N
07-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Actually, I was hoping for some scantily clad, grass skirted, hot women on the damned thing. :lol:

W3WN
07-02-2012, 07:31 AM
Actually, I was hoping for some scantily clad, grass skirted, hot women on the damned thing. :lol:Got a graphic in mind? I can always change or update the background picture.

... no, not one of those of Melissa "Gretchen" Midwest, either. Well, not for publication at least ...

KC2UGV
07-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Got a graphic in mind? I can always change or update the background picture.

... no, not one of those of Melissa "Gretchen" Midwest, either. Well, not for publication at least ...

Something like this lady:
http://www.ministryofrum.com/graphics/sjrum.jpg

K7SGJ
07-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Or something like this perhaps? Nothin midwest about this one.

N7YA
07-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Im a big fan of Islanders! I married one, in fact. :)

KJ3N
07-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Got a graphic in mind? I can always change or update the background picture.

I'll have to look around for something. Might take a day or 2.

Bastid......

W3WN
07-02-2012, 12:32 PM

6309I think we're on the right track, but I suspect he wants one sans bikini top... and sans the watermarks as well...

W3WN
07-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Im a big fan of Islanders! I married one, in fact. :)
You know what the immediate wise-crack to that comment is...

Oh? When did your spouse play in the NHL?

N7YA
07-02-2012, 11:53 PM
Very nice. :lol:

X-Rated
07-03-2012, 10:43 AM
that pussy may get a rf burn

Did someone mention Pooh sees?

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m165/n9xr/Pooh.png

X-Rated
07-03-2012, 10:51 AM

Nice leis.

W3WN
07-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Oh, I think I may just have found an image that Jim will be happy with.

VoyeurWeb may have gone away, but it's been supplanted by VoyeurCloud. And there are more than a few, ah, interesting beach shots there.

...what, you say? Hey, I may be married, but I ain't dead!

KJ3N
09-02-2012, 12:42 PM
*bump*

Where are you at with this, Ron?

(yes, I'm a shameless bastid)

W3WN
09-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the reminder.

You'll get it. Honest.

NY3V
09-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Q: How do you cut off a cats tail?

A: ???

W3WN
09-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Q: How do you cut off a cats tail?

A: ???Very carefully?

NY3V
09-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Very carefully?

No, repossess his convertible. ;)

KJ3N
10-14-2012, 07:07 AM
Time for another reminder, Ron. :stickpoke:

:snicker:

W3WN
10-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Time for another reminder, Ron. :stickpoke:

:snicker:
Yeah, I had that coming.

I've misplaced the file. (I'm hoping it's stashed on a thumb drive that I've also misplaced! One of those weeks...) So I'm going to have to recreate it. Shouldn't take long... I know, I know, famous last words. But I said I'm going to get this done, and I will. (And it will be back dated appropriately)

I'm thinking of two flavors of this. One will be about the same as the proof I did a ways back. The other... well, I have a different graphic in mind. No, I'm not going to tell you. Suffice to say that there will be one that you can (should you so choose) proudly display for anyone who walks in the door, up to and including the Pope (and I don't mean OUR Pope), and one that you may choose to be a touch more discreet about. And that's all I'm saying.

W3WN
10-18-2012, 09:13 AM
OK. This is a quick & dirty recreation of the proof, and I have to find a higher quality "tropical beach" photo for the background... but again, I'd like some input before I send this "officially" out:

And... if anyone else has achieved DDXCC status and would like a cert, send me the list, and I will get you one. Honest.

KJ3N
10-18-2012, 09:18 AM
:cool2: :agree:

W3WN
10-18-2012, 09:22 AM
I may be a procrastinator, but I keep my word. I promised you a cert, and you will get one.

Again, any suggestions from the group for an appropriate (that means G rated, guys! and gals!) high quality "tropical beach" photo for use would be appreciated. Remember, that's for Cert 1. I already have (at home) the appropriate picture for Cert 2. I can't post it here. But I'll give you a hint: Think VC (and I don't mean "Viet Cong" either)

N7YA
10-18-2012, 05:14 PM
I dunno, thats a nice picture. Im all for it.

I have 223 confirmed...can i get one with the endorsements? All my cards are uploaded for checking.

KJ3N
11-20-2012, 04:29 PM
*bump* :stickpoke:

W3WN
11-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Yeah, yeah, I know.

I never found a better quality picture. That will have to do.

KJ3N
01-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Yeah, yeah, I know.

I never found a better quality picture. That will have to do.

Me --> :stickpoke: <-- Ron

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll30/jillysaurusrex/animated%20gifs/z95688685.gif

X-Rated
01-28-2013, 12:10 PM
WUST Award (http://www.metrodxclub.com/wust_award.htm)

I can call the guy that runs this award and see what we would have to do to assure we have all situations covered. This is what my club does and it does have a few people from around the world apply for the wallpaper.

N2RJ
01-28-2013, 12:13 PM
WUST Award (http://www.metrodxclub.com/wust_award.htm)

I can call the guy that runs this award and see what we would have to do to assure we have all situations covered. This is what my club does and it does have a few people from around the world apply for the wallpaper.

Wow, now that is an award. Near impossible to get now though because a lot of those territories haven't been activated in decades.

X-Rated
01-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Wow, now that is an award. Near impossible to get now though because a lot of those territories haven't been activated in decades.

You only need 14 of the 16 to qualify. ;)

X-Rated
01-28-2013, 12:24 PM
I think that a more appropriate award for the IoMH would be an island award rather than something that is already out there and hugely popular.

KJ3N
03-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Me --> :stickpoke: <-- Ron

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll30/jillysaurusrex/animated%20gifs/z95688685.gif

*bump*

(yes, that means you, Ron)

X-Rated
05-01-2013, 01:37 PM
*bump*

I was thinking about this.

I don't know how many island entities there are, but there appear to be 49 island nations. Also, for example, the US has 1 state DX entity who is an island and 16 possessions who are all DX entities.

LINK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_island_countries)

How about an IoMH Island DX Club? IoTA has their own listing of Islands and they use all kinds of Islands which may or may not be an Island nation. But I don't know of any awards for island nations. Maybe there is one. Since this is the Island, it would be cool to have an island theme. I was thinking about my trip around the world one time. I flew to Japan (an island nation), Philippines (an island nation), layover in Hong Kong (an island nation kinda), and England (an island nation). They are all over the friggin place.

I would keep the rules tied to the DXCC entities. For example Scotland and England would count as different entities even though they are on the same island. VK9 would be a separate entity from VK3, KH6 would be counted, but not Galveston Island or Long Island. CY0 and CY9 would count.

I dunno. Is there an award like this? Put the required number to get it somewhere around 75 to 100 entities?

NQ6U
05-01-2013, 02:08 PM
VK9 would be a separate entity from VK3

Oz isn't an island, it's a continent.

W3WN
05-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Oz isn't an island, it's a continent.
I guess it depends on whose definition of "continent" you use, and at what point does it pass from being a big island to a continent.

OTOH, consider that of the 7 land masses that today are generally considered continents (EU, AF, AS, NA, SA, AN, AU), Australia & Antarctica are completely surrounded by water. So, who's to say that they couldn't be (for the purposes of said award) considered both a floor wax AND a dessert topping?

X-Rated
05-01-2013, 02:20 PM
I guess it depends on whose definition of "continent" you use, and at what point does it pass from being a big island to a continent.

OTOH, consider that of the 7 land masses that today are generally considered continents (EU, AF, AS, NA, SA, AN, AU), Australia & Antarctica are completely surrounded by water. So, who's to say that they couldn't be (for the purposes of said award) considered both a floor wax AND a dessert topping?

My all time favorite SNL skit.

NQ6U
05-01-2013, 02:29 PM

Well, the generally accepted definition of continent includes Australia. And, the Americas are also completely separated from the other continents by water so if we're picking nits, they could be considered islands too, right?

And, yeah, that SNL skit was right up there with the Super Bass-o-Matic skit. Not as good as Samurai Delicatessen, though.

KJ3N
05-01-2013, 03:04 PM
I'm still waiting on my piece of paper....... :(

X-Rated
05-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Well, the generally accepted definition of continent includes Australia. And, the Americas are also completely separated from the other continents by water so if we're picking nits, they could be considered islands too, right?

And, yeah, that SNL skit was right up there with the Super Bass-o-Matic skit. Not as good as Samurai Delicatessen, though.

My proposal was just my proposal. I included the list of island nations. I mean, like, I supplied the list from Wikipedia of the island nations. On that list, it says, "Australia". Someone with more say in this can decide what entities are to be counted and what is not. But I was thinking that there are the lists of island nations to choose from and there is the DXCC entities that comprise of all of the nations in the world and the entities that are expanded from there. I figured that it could be a subset of the DXCC entities that are related to islands.

Someone who makes the decisions would need to evaluate each DXCC entity one by one and decide which ones count and which ones do not count. I could do that but it would be my determination.

X-Rated
05-01-2013, 03:59 PM
My idea is a 2 part test.

1. Is it a DXCC entity?
2. Does that entire DX entity reside on an island or islands as generally accepted as an island or islands OR does it lack land locked borders with other entities?

There are other considerations as well such as whether to count entities that are no longer in the mix. Deleted entities that were worked when they were not deleted.

W3WN
05-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Well, the other considerations are easy... key factor is, what's your 'start date'?

If you start as of, say, all QSO's made on or after 1 Jan 2013, then the deleted entities are irrelevant.

OTOH, if you start as of 1945 (start date of the current DXCC list), then, if the island worked counts as the DXCC country/entity as it was on the date you worked it.

W2NAP
05-02-2013, 06:17 PM
if it wasn't so expensive. we should do a ham island dxpadition to ham island.....

or something

W3WN
05-02-2013, 08:23 PM
if it wasn't so expensive. we should do a ham island dxpadition to ham island.....

or somethingWould you settle for Washington's Landing, formerly Herr's Island, up the Allegheny River? It used to have stockyards & a pig slaugherhouse on it...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington's_Landing
http://www.cmu.edu/steinbrenner/brownfields/Case%20Studies/pdf/washingtonslanding1herrs%20island.pdf

Oh, for you railfans, consider this as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herr's_Island_Railroad_Bridge