PDA

View Full Version : Got all the hardware for 3D Vision....everything works great.

W1GUH
04-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Got a 3D monitor yesterday (Asus VG278H (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398791,00.asp)), and 3D was pretty much plug 'n play. Didn't need any google-fu!

The 3D is great. Very little ghosting, and good colors. Not quite ready to say "As good as Imax", but it could be. Need to live with it longer to actually determine that.

And, this monitor is f'ing great for 2D HD. Keep an eye on Asus - they are coming on strong for the high-performance segment at really good prices. Well, for the computers, anyway. This monitor was expensive. OTOH, it's brand new and state of the art - they get a premium for that.

Got this from Amazon & their service was, as usual, top-notch. Ordered it Monday morning with overnight shipping & had it yesterday, as promised. Wanted to go down to B&H to get it, but they sold out over the weekend and estimated 7-14 days for re-stock.

N2RJ
04-19-2012, 02:52 PM
The active shutter glasses are (IMO) better than the movie theater 3D which usually uses polarized glasses. So it's not only as good as IMAX but better!

I haven't bought a 3D set yet but our 56" DLP in the living room is dying a slow death so it's only a matter of time before it ends up in a "curb alert" posting in craigslist and is replaced with a nice 70 inch 3D set.

K7SGJ
04-19-2012, 03:08 PM
We've had a 55" Samsung for a couple of years and really like it. I just wish there were more 3d movies around and at a little lower price. There is a lot of stuff done by/for the History channel (or one of those) that are well done. It seems that most of the better quality 3D movies are animated by Pixar. Maybe as time goes by the selection/price will improve. Regular 2D programming looks awesome on this thing. I didn't realize how much I was missing on the old "tube" type TV. (Not that I watch much TV because I'm always working my ass off)

N2RJ
04-19-2012, 08:36 PM
I still think 3D is a fad but as long as we're replacing a TV we might as well go 3D.

NQ6U
04-19-2012, 09:30 PM
I still think 3D is a fad but as long as we're replacing a TV we might as well go 3D.

On this, at last, we find something we can agree on. Even more importantly, after seeing a number 3D movies at the XYL's insistence, I can categorically state that the addition of a third dimension has contributed absolutely nothing to my enjoyment of the film in question. 3D does not turn a bad movie into a good one and a good movie is just as good when viewed in flatland.

n2ize
04-20-2012, 07:09 AM
My problem with "3D" is the goggles. I can't stand wearing goggles/glasses for a pseudo-3D effect. As far as movies go yeah, I agree. If a movie is not good to begin with 3D is not going to make it any better. Besides, most movies thatI like date back at least 30+ years and usually more like 50+ years.

N2RJ
04-20-2012, 08:22 AM
They are working on glasses free 3D and they have it working in smaller screens but there are quite a few hurdles to overcome.

I think if they can do a hologram thing like how they brought back Tupac from the dead that might be nice.

W1GUH
04-20-2012, 10:31 AM
I see our usual "hate glasses" guy has rung in, predictably, on this! Amazing....none of us thinks twice about buying two of everything, including speakers, just so we can hear stereo sound, but some balk at the extra trouble of seeing 3D. Ah, well, whatever floats your boat & YMMV and all that.

'RJ - you may be right about 3D being a passing fad. But even so, the manufacturers seem to be doing a good job making stuff for us to experience 3D Vision -- this monitor & computer & Nvidia are doing a great job of it & I'm glad. But I truly am an enthusiast for 3D vision, and have always been, so I'm not all that concerned with available content to buy. Read on to see why that's no worries with me.

As it turns out, I've already mastered the technique of creating 3D image files that Nvidia's 3D Vision Photo Viewer can display in all their stereoscopic glory! Over in the Art forum I've posted a few 3D images that you can view without glasses by crossing your eyes and merging the images. That's a technique that I discovered independently back in the 80's. Well, those .jpgs that I created by taking two shots with an eye-distance offset between them, and the assembling the two images in a third .jpg file is all there is to it. Except for this tedious and difficult procedure for converting those to .jps files that the software can use. That's sarcastic. All i needed to do was rename the files to xxx.jps & viola! Full 3D stereoscopic images. Sweet! And the viewer allows the user to adjust vertical alignment of the images in case assembling the image was off. Will even swap images, if needed. (The more I do commercial 3D the more it seems as if I'm really tuned into what they're doing -- at every step of the way I seem to discover another thing I've waited a long time for.)

So -- I needn't worry about content -- I can make as much of my own as I want. And coming in the future is a 3D camera so I don't have to mess around taking two shots for 3D.

'BSO:

On this, at last, we find something we can agree on. Even more importantly, after seeing a number 3D movies at the XYL's insistence, I can categorically state that the addition of a third dimension has contributed absolutely nothing to my enjoyment of the film in question. 3D does not turn a bad movie into a good one and a good movie is just as good when viewed in flatland.

When I watch a 3D movie I can't really say if the 3D enhances the actual movie or not. I'm so fascinated with the technology that while watching a lot of the time I'm specifically looking at the 3D and enjoying the technology more than the movie. I don't particularly like the current crop of animated films in 3D -- my taste runs to "real" cinematography with real live actors and such. Will be looking for Imax 3D stuff to get. Dunno how much is out there currently.

And -- this Nvidia actually converts non-3D games into 3D games. The only one I've tried so far is the Flight Sim, but that's seamless & works very well. There's a whole long list of games that work like this here (http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-games.html).

Don't know if this is just passing or something that will catch on. Don't particularly care - it already provides me all I need to create and enjoy 3D pix & probably 3D videos eventually. That remindes me. The Nvidia 3D video player has the option to play two video files, right image and left image. So....two cameras/video recorders & I'm there with 3D video? Could be -- will be experimenting with that.

Finally.....it seems to me that 3D hasn't really been exploited very much creatively. Haven't seem many contemporary 3D productions -- I'm too put off by the animations -- but I've seen some amazing demos that push the technology to the limits. Hoping that this makes its way into main-stream movie production. I especially like when an object come at you, right through the plane of the display.

W1GUH
04-20-2012, 10:34 AM
'ize:

pseudo-3D

It's not "pseudo." It's real 3D - one image for each eye.

N2RJ
04-20-2012, 03:16 PM
The 3D is impressive, but the glasses thing isn't just me. A LOT of consumers don't like the glasses. They did a survey and the glasses were #2 behind the price.

n2ize
04-22-2012, 12:34 AM
'ize:

It's not "pseudo." It's real 3D - one image for each eye.

If I need goggles its not true 3d AFAIC.

n2ize
04-22-2012, 12:42 AM
They are working on glasses free 3D and they have it working in smaller screens but there are quite a few hurdles to overcome.

I think if they can do a hologram thing like how they brought back Tupac from the dead that might be nice.

they are working on a true 3D using laser plasma technology in air. Right now it is in its early stages and mostly monochrome but it can be done in colour. It may eventually lead to a goggle free three D that is free'd from the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EndNwMBEiVU

n2ize
04-22-2012, 12:51 AM
Finally.....it seems to me that 3D hasn't really been exploited very much creatively. Haven't seem many contemporary 3D productions --

Sure it has. It's been exploited for centuries. Shakespeare used it in his plays. Musicians and Broadway play producers use it every day.