PDA

View Full Version : W. Riley Hollingsworth named CQ contributing editor

N2RJ
04-17-2012, 03:31 PM
He will now be writing the a new column called "Riley's Ramblings" which succeeds the "Washington Readout" column which was written by now silent key Fred, W5YI.

http://cqnewsroom.blogspot.com/

Riley Hollingsworth, K4ZDH, Named CQ Contributing Editor
Succeeds Fred Maia, W5YI (Silent Key)

(Hicksville, NY) April 17, 2012 -- Retired FCC amateur radio enforcement chief Riley Hollingsworth, K4ZDH, has been named a CQ magazine contributing editor, it was announced today by CQ Editor Rich Moseson, W2VU. Hollingsworth will succeed "Washington Readout" editor Fred Maia, W5YI, who recently became a Silent Key.

N8YX
04-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Good for Riley.

Now I wish the FCC would name someone with enough balls to fix the ongoing problems in both the Part 95 and the Part 97 services.

VE7DCW
04-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Good for Riley.

Now I wish the FCC would name someone with enough balls to fix the ongoing problems in both the Part 95 and the Part 97 services.

Fred .....are you saying there is a problem with scofflaws in the Amateur radio bands?? :)

NQ6U
04-17-2012, 11:20 PM
Fred .....are you saying there is a problem with scofflaws in the Amateur radio bands?? :)

Yes! Blame (Industry) Canada! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUABWt4zidY&feature=related

n2ize
04-18-2012, 05:36 AM
Riley is/was an AM'er. I and other AM'ers occasionally talked with him on 75 meter AM back when he was still working for the FCC enforcement. It was kind of funny talking with an FCC guy because as a kid when I used to mess with CB the last thing anyone wanted was to have to talk to anyone in the FCC. Of course such talks didn't occur on the air. Rather they were initiated by an FCC person standing at the front door requesting to inspect the station.

In any even Riley is a great guy and did some REAL enforcement. We need someone like that in the FCC today. I am sure he will make a great contributing editor for CQ. I might even subscribe to the journal so I can read his comments. And who knows. If he dresses well he may even get to write for GQ as well.;)

N2RJ
04-18-2012, 09:37 AM
I have to agree, John. Riley had his heart in it. Laura... I dunno.

N8YX
04-18-2012, 10:33 AM
Laura is a political hack, plain and simple. Her office has swiftly dealt with numerous AM/FM/TVBCB matters involving illegal and/or improper operation, but as far as recent actions against 47 CFR 95/97 violations are concerned?

In Dave's terms: Crickets.

W3WN
04-18-2012, 10:47 AM
I have to agree, John. Riley had his heart in it. Laura... I dunno.When he was still working for the FCC & giving speeches, Riley said something along the lines that he was approached to take the Enforcement job, and since he was a ham (not just an FCC staffer), he wanted to make a difference. (Forgive my faulty memory for not recalling his exact words, but that was the gist of it).

He did.

I don't know much about Laura Smith, but now that she's been on the job for a few years, she leaves me feeling... underwhelmed. Unimpressed? The proof, as they say, is in the pudding... and the severe drop off & near-lack of enforcement in the Amateur service since she assumed the position speaks for itself.

N2RJ
04-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Riley said something along the lines that he was approached to take the Enforcement job, and since he was a ham (not just an FCC staffer), he wanted to make a difference. (Forgive my faulty memory for not recalling his exact words, but that was the gist of it).

"We won’t stop or even slow down until
you can be perfectly comfortable leaving the rig on in the house
or the car, demonstrating it to your niece or your neighbor
without sweating bullets over what you are going to hear on the
rig."

VE7DCW
04-18-2012, 08:33 PM

Ryan .....you mean there's a chance that Laura Smith can be ever be a contributing editor of anything?? ......... NOT!! :rofl:

W4GPL
04-18-2012, 08:42 PM
I e-mailed Laura once and got a very courteous and informative reply. Take that for what it's worth, but it's nice to see she responds to our concerns -- despite her possible shortcomings.

N2RJ
04-18-2012, 09:16 PM
I e-mailed Laura once and got a very courteous and informative reply. Take that for what it's worth, but it's nice to see she responds to our concerns -- despite her possible shortcomings.

I would be surprised if she didn't. There was someone else I emailed to ask about a clarification on a rule. This was a while back. Wasn't Riley. But he did reply to me, and quite courteously I might add.

N2RJ
04-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Ryan .....you mean there's a chance that Laura Smith can be ever be a contributing editor of anything?? ......... NOT!! :rofl:

Well to be fair, Riley was a ham. Laura was not. Riley took the job personally and he really was one of us, but at the same time he was the sheriff in town.

Laura, while her intentions may be good, I think she might not be as passionate as Riley. But I am willing to give her a chance, I just think she needs to sink her teeth in the service a bit more.

The amateur radio service is a bit unique - the rest of FCC services are run like businesses. It's like the difference between going after white collar criminals and going to arrest the town drunks...

kb2vxa
04-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Forget about Lau-ra, she doesn't know sqat about FCC legal matters re: her assinine letter to K1MAN. Sir Riley of Hollingsworth on the other hand is quite a character in so many ways. 75M AM brings to mind his subtle, downplayed humor in his "testicing" letter to Timtron WA1HLR, something I found quite amusing. It carried over into a few fascinating e-mail "QSOs" I had with him, as Arte Johnson would say "verrry intereschting".

Here's a thought, he'd make a great Islander, Maybe even a candidate for The Misfit Hall of Fame. Then IMO he'd have some competition from Jeff K1NSS. (;->)

NQ6U
04-18-2012, 11:18 PM
Here's a thought, he'd make a great Islander, Maybe even a candidate for The Misfit Hall of Fame. Then IMO he'd have some competition from Jeff K1NSS. (;->)

There's a Misfit Hall of Fame??

n2ize
04-19-2012, 12:21 AM

well, at least with Riley I can comprehend what he is trying to say. :lol:

n2ize
04-19-2012, 12:25 AM
"We won’t stop or even slow down until
you can be perfectly comfortable leaving the rig on in the house
or the car, demonstrating it to your niece or your neighbor
without sweating bullets over what you are going to hear on the
rig."

We need a tough, "Sheriff of Nottingham" type enforcer among the amateur radio community. A guy who will go to great lengths and even bend the rules a bit to make sure the laws are enforced and that the violators are stopped and punished accordingly. And yes, it has to be tough. It's the only language the nuts and riff raff understand. Get the bums off the air. Fine em and if they don;t pay lock em up. Guys like K1MAN should be ancient history by now.

kb2vxa
04-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Sorry to say, you don't know Riley. He was our knight in shining armor, thus my reference to knighthood but he isn't and never was our Savior. He went after them with a vengeance but was stymied by K1MAN jumping through loopholes, he and Laura both hogtied and mired down in a legal morass, mostly ass. There were guys like MAN and they ARE ancient history but only because the average Joe lacks the legal expertise, just enough knowledge to make him dangerous. Not to worry, the law may be on his side for now but like any criminal sooner or later he'll slip up and that thorn in the side will be gone.

The Neriff of Snottingham? Gee, I hope not.

N8YX
04-19-2012, 10:26 AM
I would absolutely LOVE for Riley to become a regular participant here...for a number of reasons.

NQ6U
04-19-2012, 10:33 AM
I would absolutely LOVE for Riley to become a regular participant here...for a number of reasons.

Someone with his e-mail address should invite him. I'd love to get an insider's take on the whole regulatory process at the FCC.

On edit: Never mind, I found it myself and will extend an invitation. He's probably too busy to spend much time here but even the occasional post would be cool.

WØTKX
04-19-2012, 10:55 AM
If he set up a sched, some of us would actually get on the radio? :neener:

N8YX
04-19-2012, 11:09 AM
If he set up a sched, some of us would actually get on the radio? :neener:
I'm on 313 all the time. Transmitting is a completely different matter but I always keep a receiver tuned to the fun.

WØTKX
04-19-2012, 11:17 AM
OIC. I will call for you there, sometime. Lulz.

W3WN
04-19-2012, 12:19 PM
If he set up a sched, some of us would actually get on the radio? :neener:You mean you don't?

W3WN
04-19-2012, 12:19 PM
I would absolutely LOVE for Riley to become a regular participant here...for a number of reasons.Ditto

N8YX
04-19-2012, 12:22 PM
OIC. I will call for you there, sometime. Lulz.
'KFM does...you might as well! :lol:

NQ6U
04-19-2012, 01:11 PM
I sent Mr. Hollingsworth an e-mail invitation to participate here, let's see what happens.

VE7DCW
04-20-2012, 12:06 AM
'KFM does...you might as well! :lol:

He's a little MIA these days........ maybe trying on the martyr pants for size :mrgreen:

N2RJ
04-20-2012, 08:23 AM
I sent Mr. Hollingsworth an e-mail invitation to participate here, let's see what happens.

I kind of doubt it but hey you never know.

NQ6U
04-20-2012, 11:27 AM
I kind of doubt it but hey you never know.

Yeah, probably not, but I figured it couldn't hurt to spend five minutes to extend the invitation.

n2ize
04-22-2012, 12:58 AM
Sorry to say, you don't know Riley. He was our knight in shining armor, thus my reference to knighthood but he isn't and never was our Savior. He went after them with a vengeance but was stymied by K1MAN jumping through loopholes, he and Laura both hogtied and mired down in a legal morass, mostly ass. There were guys like MAN and they ARE ancient history but only because the average Joe lacks the legal expertise, just enough knowledge to make him dangerous. Not to worry, the law may be on his side for now but like any criminal sooner or later he'll slip up and that thorn in the side will be gone.

The Neriff of Snottingham? Gee, I hope not.

the MAN will never slip up because he is right and he knows he is right and that is all that matters.

kb2vxa
04-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Yeah, a true legend in his own mind.