PDA

View Full Version : Electric Motorcycles?

KC2UGV
04-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Anyone have any experience with these? From what I see there are two type: So-called Electric Bicycles, no licenses needed; and Electric motorcycles, license required.

Thinking about getting the licensed type, they're DOT approved, and whatnot; so I can commute and save on gas. Any issues with them, or whatever?

KB3LAZ
04-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Anyone have any experience with these? From what I see there are two type: So-called Electric Bicycles, no licenses needed; and Electric motorcycles, license required.

Thinking about getting the licensed type, they're DOT approved, and whatnot; so I can commute and save on gas. Any issues with them, or whatever?

My grandfather used to have one. He also had an electric scooter. I dont know about now but in the early 2000's they sucked or at least what he had. Mind you, I live in the country and found myself pushing it up hills. Technology can change a lot in 12 years and being in the city will likely make a big difference.

He also has a newer scooter that is a little better. If you drive the whole time the battery gives a solid 2 hours and will do about 35-40mph on flat ground. Charging does take awhile, like 8 hours.

As I said, I personally have not had experience with an electric motorcycle just the older scooters and the newer one. So, I can only compare. Take what you will from that and maybe someone else with a little more experience will chime in.

What I can tell you is that you can get a small scooter that will run on gas and give good performance and still save you loads of money. Such as the Rucks that Charles has or even a 125 model. They also have smaller model 250cc motorcycles that will get you 70-90mpg. If we are lucky they will approve the 125cc lines like Europe has and you will get 150ish mpg on a motorcycle.

Just an alternative if you are interested. =) Good luck with your search.

K7SGJ
04-16-2012, 11:43 AM
I had an electric scooter, but could only afford a 100 foot extension cord and that didn't even get me out of the driveway.

KG4CGC
04-16-2012, 11:46 AM
The Yamaha Zuma 125 is pretty badass. For the price of a new one, you could pick up a used 250-500.

WØTKX
04-16-2012, 02:41 PM
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

KC2UGV
04-16-2012, 02:48 PM

Cool! Checking this bad boy out :)

KB3LAZ
04-16-2012, 03:50 PM

O0 those are heavy for being such little buggers. They have too low a capacity weight for my use. I am at 223 atm and want to get to 185 (and I will) but with a passenger? Ouch. I know..thats not what they are meant for. =P :D And I saw the price. Scooter before electric for me.

n2ize
04-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Electrics may be nice but there is something about that gas engine that really sets the pace for that feeling of rugged power

N8YX
04-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Zero's offerings have a bit to go before I would consider them an equivalent of a gas-powered cycle of the same power rating but they're fast approaching that point.

We rode the Vectrix scooters several years ago at a motorcycle event. If our workplaces had charger ports readily available in the parking lot we would commute exclusively on them, weather permitting:

http://www.vectrix.com/index.php

KC2UGV
04-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Electrics may be nice but there is something about that gas engine that really sets the pace for that feeling of rugged power

I'm not looking for the feeling of rugged power; but the feeling of a lower gasoline bill :)

KB3LAZ
04-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Zero's offerings have a bit to go before I would consider them an equivalent of a gas-powered cycle of the same power rating but they're fast approaching that point.

We rode the Vectrix scooters several years ago at a motorcycle event. If our workplaces had charger ports readily available in the parking lot we would commute exclusively on them, weather permitting:

http://www.vectrix.com/index.php

Again with the prices...If the point is to commute and save money I cant justify the price. A gas powered Scooter still gets great mpg for a fraction of the price.

KG4CGC
04-16-2012, 07:32 PM

It makes your penis bigger too!

NA4BH
04-16-2012, 07:37 PM

I hear it has to do with the carburetor location and placement thereof.

NQ6U
04-16-2012, 07:48 PM
The bigger the bike, the bigger it makes your penis. Any Harley owner will tell you that.

NA4BH
04-16-2012, 07:54 PM
The bigger the bike, the bigger it makes your penis. Any Harley owner will tell you that.

So that's why they don't have mufflers...... I get it now

No, really I do get it now

KB3LAZ
04-16-2012, 08:07 PM

Really? How much bigger? I thought it made your balls heavier? :P Seriously though, said specifications on some of the above listed bikes would cause me to break the law when Pilar and I are both on them. In fact, its the reason I cant get a 125 because they are meant for a normal sized adult or two midgets.

However, again, as I said its a savings thing. When they are in range of saving me where I do not have to wait 5 years to see the savings it becomes worth it. Until then I will stick with 70-90mpg at 1/3 of the initial investment. Some of those listed, in particular the ones that would meet my needs exceed 15,000$. I can get two nice bikes that get 74+MPG for 11k.

KG4CGC
04-16-2012, 08:08 PM
So that's why they don't have mufflers...... I get it now

No, really I do get it now

Mufflers and hindquarters?

NA4BH
04-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Mufflers and hindquarters?

No, fried eggs and chainsaws.

KG4CGC
04-16-2012, 08:30 PM
No, fried eggs and chainsaws.

Well, it's actually:

Hey baby, I hear the blues a-callin',
Tossed salad and scrambled eggs

Oh My
Mercy (alt: Quite stylish.)

And maybe I seem a bit confused,
Yeah maybe, but I got you pegged!
Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha!

But I don't know what to do with those tossed salads and scrambled eggs.
They're callin' again.

(The following are alternate endings)

They're callin' again.
Good night, Seattle, we love you.
What is a boy to do. Good night.
Frasier has left the building.
Thank You!
Scambled eggs all over my face. What is a boy to do. Goodnight, everybody.
See you next year, we love ya.

NA4BH
04-16-2012, 08:36 PM
I coulda said all that, but I'm a little postprandial right now.

Oh, and it was $5.00 pitcher night tonight.

NQ6U
04-16-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm a little postprandial right now.

That post would probably get you banned on the Zed.

KG4CGC
04-16-2012, 08:43 PM
I coulda said all that, but I'm a little postprandial right now.

Oh, and it was $5.00 pitcher night tonight.

Take it easy next time.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/1234284510-i2dw5nf19jork8da9mddfxflo1_500.jpg

W5GA
04-16-2012, 09:40 PM
I'm not looking for the feeling of rugged power; but the feeling of a lower gasoline bill :)
Bicycle mobile, or is it to far for that to be realistic?

PA5COR
04-17-2012, 01:35 AM
Lots of electric bycicles here with electric motors of 250 - 350 watt here, range on flat land 60 - 80 KM average speed 25 KM and getting better all the time.
Not seen a lot of mopeds or scooters electric though, the kids here use mini cars with 500 or 600 cc 3 cylinder diesel engines max speed 50 km/h but removing a few washers they will go to 100 km/h.....
30 km to the litre diesel though...;) no road tax just insurance.
http://www.bebro.nl/

KC2UGV
04-17-2012, 07:18 AM
Bicycle mobile, or is it to far for that to be realistic?

I already do that :) I thought I posted a pic here of the setup, but I'll post one when I get back home.

Lots of electric bycicles here with electric motors of 250 - 350 watt here, range on flat land 60 - 80 KM average speed 25 KM and getting better all the time.
Not seen a lot of mopeds or scooters electric though, the kids here use mini cars with 500 or 600 cc 3 cylinder diesel engines max speed 50 km/h but removing a few washers they will go to 100 km/h.....
30 km to the litre diesel though...;) no road tax just insurance.
http://www.bebro.nl/

I was thinking electric bicycle, too. The prices for a quality electric bike and electric moped/motorcycle are about on par.

n2ize
04-17-2012, 07:55 AM

maybe it does and I have no problem with that. :)

n2ize
04-17-2012, 08:01 AM
I already do that :) I thought I posted a pic here of the setup, but I'll post one when I get back home.

I was thinking electric bicycle, too. The prices for a quality electric bike and electric moped/motorcycle are about on par.

I own an old gas moped a Peugeot (1970's). Last I checked it still runs but it is buried under debris in my dad's garage to the point where I can't even see the bike much less get near it. The gasoline in it has probably turned to varnish and the tank will have to be dumped and flushed before it will ever run again. In any event it was always a great bike on relatively flat streets and mild inclines but on steep hills it was a lousy climber. On more than one occasion while climbing a steep hill I had to pedal it to help take some of the load off the motor. I think the more modern mopeds are more powerful and hopefully better hill climbers. I am also wondering how are the electric mopeds with hills. Just something to consider if you live in an area with rough terrain.

KG4CGC
04-17-2012, 08:25 AM
maybe it does and I have no problem with that. :)

Oh No No! Of course you don't.

KG4CGC
04-17-2012, 10:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fF27nLYVpwc#!

WØTKX
04-17-2012, 12:03 PM
http://www.practicalalchemy.org/%7Enerobro/public/Pictures/Motorcycles/Small/Peugeot103SP_3.JPG

KC2UGV
04-17-2012, 12:47 PM
http://www.practicalalchemy.org/~nerobro/public/Pictures/Motorcycles/Small/Peugeot103SP_3.JPG

That's a gas powered one? Looks sharp, and like something I'd be looking for.

KG4CGC
04-17-2012, 01:54 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK_s0ypHfR0

N2CHX
04-18-2012, 02:29 PM

I paid $1,800 for my Ninja, Dan paid $1,700 for his. No restriction on how far you can ride, low maintenance costs and anywhere between 50 and 80 mpg depending on how you ride it. The way I ride, I average about 63, but I like the feeling of speed and fast take-offs. I can hit the 290 and have ample power to get myself out of trouble and fly past the 'pokes if I want to. Not sure if the electrics will allow you to do that, plus they only have a range of just over 40 miles on the highway from a full charge.

I also looked at their charge/mpg specs; they list the Zero S as having 273 equivalent mpg, however, they don't take into account the efficiency of the charger and the battery -- they base this completely on the 1kw output capacity of the charger and the 6.0kw capacity of the battery. You and I both know that batteries and any voltage/current conversion circuit are not 100% efficient, although Li Ion batteries are close. Add to that, that the cost of electricity here in WNY is higher than anywhere in the country except Hawaii... That equivalent of 273 mpg gets cut back fast. And wait until the battery needs to be replaced -- or you spill the bike and crack the battery and it needs to be replaced -- Cha-ching! BTW, my Ninja weighs in almost exactly the same as the Zero S -- about 300 lbs.

Are you thinking that somehow the electrics are safer? Or that a scooter is safer? They're not, in fact I don't know if I'd really want that lithium ion bomb under my cooch.

The electrics sound cool and someday maybe I'll try one, but for now I'll stick with my good old fashioned high-performance two cylinder, four stroke gasoline engine, screaming down the road at 131 RPM/MPH ;)

n2ize
04-18-2012, 03:51 PM

That's my moped !! I have that exact bike. It's a Peugeot. It is vintage (dates back to around 1972-73). Only difference is the one in the picture is in its original green colour. Mine was painted black by one of its former owners. The one in the picture above has apparently been retrofitted with a new seat. Mine has the original seat which is much smaller (more like a standard bicycle seat) and is very uncomfortable for long rides. Otherwise its a great bike. Mine still runs. Unfortunately I can;t get to it because my dad has it buried in the garage under a couple of tons of lumber and junk.

KG4CGC
04-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Get in there and dig it out! The weather is getting right for a ride! http://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php?20833-What-Did-You-Do-Today-(thread)&p=418439&viewfull=1#post418439

KC2UGV
04-18-2012, 03:59 PM
I paid $1,800 for my Ninja, Dan paid $1,700 for his. No restriction on how far you can ride, low maintenance costs and anywhere between 50 and 80 mpg depending on how you ride it. The way I ride, I average about 63, but I like the feeling of speed and fast take-offs. I can hit the 290 and have ample power to get myself out of trouble and fly past the 'pokes if I want to. Not sure if the electrics will allow you to do that, plus they only have a range of just over 40 miles on the highway from a full charge.

I also looked at their charge/mpg specs; they list the Zero S as having 273 equivalent mpg, however, they don't take into account the efficiency of the charger and the battery -- they base this completely on the 1kw output capacity of the charger and the 6.0kw capacity of the battery. You and I both know that batteries and any voltage/current conversion circuit are not 100% efficient, although Li Ion batteries are close. Add to that, that the cost of electricity here in WNY is higher than anywhere in the country except Hawaii... That equivalent of 273 mpg gets cut back fast. And wait until the battery needs to be replaced -- or you spill the bike and crack the battery and it needs to be replaced -- Cha-ching! BTW, my Ninja weighs in almost exactly the same as the Zero S -- about 300 lbs.

Are you thinking that somehow the electrics are safer? Or that a scooter is safer? They're not, in fact I don't know if I'd really want that lithium ion bomb under my cooch.

The electrics sound cool and someday maybe I'll try one, but for now I'll stick with my good old fashioned high-performance two cylinder, four stroke gasoline engine, screaming down the road at 131 RPM/MPH ;)

Now, I'm thinking that electric vehicles are lower emission vehicles than anything that burns a fossil fuel :)

It's not a sport or enjoyment thing for me (I have my bicycle for that :) ), it's a "having a smaller footprint", which a motorcycle can do as well, but I'm investigating how low I can get mine :)

KG4CGC
04-18-2012, 04:07 PM
I'm investigating how low I can get mine
Don't poop.

KB3LAZ
04-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Now, I'm thinking that electric vehicles are lower emission vehicles than anything that burns a fossil fuel :)

It's not a sport or enjoyment thing for me (I have my bicycle for that :) ), it's a "having a smaller footprint", which a motorcycle can do as well, but I'm investigating how low I can get mine :)

I havent really seen any newer 125cc Motorcycles in the US but I do know that when I get to Spain they are quite popular. Their fuel range is on par with a scooter. Normally around 100mpg +-25mpg.

What seems to be bigger than the 125 motorcycles is scooters as well as 250cc motorcycles. The 250s seem to have a rather similar mpg rating but with a little more kick.

I have looked at a magnitude of bikes but I have really been checking into the Honda VTR-250.

n2ize
04-18-2012, 11:29 PM

Well, consider charging a battery involved burning fuel. Making solar cells involved burning fuel. My old Peugeot SP 103 gets incredibly good mileage one a gallon of gas. I;d imagine the new ones are even better. My SP-103 is a 2 cycle job. I have to mix gas and oil. The new ones may be 4 cycle and cleaner burning perhaps ??

n2ize
04-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Get in there and dig it out! The weather is getting right for a ride! http://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php?20833-What-Did-You-Do-Today-(thread)&p=418439&viewfull=1#post418439

I know. But it's going to be an incredible dig. You don;t know how my dad can wreck up a garage and everything in it. I can't even see the thing much less get near it. I need a huge dumpster just to haul all the junk away. And God knows what shape the moped will be in when i finally unearth it. Then I'll need to register it and get plates for it unless I restrict my use to an occasional spin around the block. Unlike some other states nanny NYS requires a license and registration in order to drive a moped on public roads.

NQ6U
04-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Changing the subject slightly, does anyone build a bike similar to the old Honda Trail 90 these days?

KB3LAZ
04-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Changing the subject slightly, does anyone built a bike similar to the old Honda Trail 90 these days?

This day and age I think the closest thing you will get is a scooter. Charles has a ruckus, might be as close as it gets. It is also a honda. He could fill you in more.

On a side note, it seems that these days they are doing away with the small-mid sized bikes. Honda did away with the 500 and the 600 line. Yamaha did away with their 650. Kawasaki did away with their 500LTD. Suzuki did away with their 400.

Suzuki does still have the 650 aka the S40. And you can always go smaller with the 250s. But whatever happened to the mid level bikes? QQ

W5GA
04-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Changing the subject slightly, does anyone built a bike similar to the old Honda Trail 90 these days?
I haven't seen anything like that since the originals were being built, and they command a really premium price these days.

KG4CGC
04-19-2012, 12:31 AM
I know. But it's going to be an incredible dig. You don;t know how my dad can wreck up a garage and everything in it. I can't even see the thing much less get near it. I need a huge dumpster just to haul all the junk away. And God knows what shape the moped will be in when i finally unearth it. Then I'll need to register it and get plates for it unless I restrict my use to an occasional spin around the block. Unlike some other states nanny NYS requires a license and registration in order to drive a moped on public roads.

So just do it.

KG4CGC
04-19-2012, 12:37 AM
This day and age I think the closest thing you will get is a scooter. Charles has a ruckus, might be as close as it gets. It is also a honda. He could fill you in more.

On a side note, it seems that these days they are doing away with the small-mid sized bikes. Honda did away with the 500 and the 600 line. Yamaha did away with their 650. Kawasaki did away with their 500LTD. Suzuki did away with their 400.

Suzuki does still have the 650 aka the S40. And you can always go smaller with the 250s. But whatever happened to the mid level bikes? QQ

... It’s more fun than a barrel of monkeys ...

And it had a 4 speed which later developed into a dual range (hi/lo) 4 speed for off-road hill climbing. The Ruckus has a CVT.
http://www.garymcbain.com/wp/?p=255

I think that's just the American market. Pretty stupid not to train on something midsized instead of jumping right up to a 1000cc monster. Which really isn't big anymore by today's standards.

n2ize
04-19-2012, 12:51 AM
So just do it.

Not sure if I even have a title to the thing anymore so who knows, I may not even be able to register it. Even without plates it would still be fun for evening rides round the local neighborhood in the summer. The cops are pretty cool about stuff like that around here. But they do insist on a helmet.

NQ6U
04-19-2012, 01:43 AM
Back when I was growing up, a used CT-90 could be bought for next to nothing—$100 or so—so it seemed like everybody had at least one at some point in their life. They're still pretty easy to find out here in California although they do cost a lot more than they used to—maybe $1000-1500 these days. I guess I'm still a little nostalgic for the things and wouldn't mind having another one of these days.

KC2UGV
04-19-2012, 06:44 AM
Well, consider charging a battery involved burning fuel. Making solar cells involved burning fuel. My old Peugeot SP 103 gets incredibly good mileage one a gallon of gas. I;d imagine the new ones are even better. My SP-103 is a 2 cycle job. I have to mix gas and oil. The new ones may be 4 cycle and cleaner burning perhaps ??

True, it all involves burning fossil fuels, generally. However, burning fossil fuels at a large power generation center is much more efficient than what an internal combustion engine can reach :)

kf0rt
04-19-2012, 11:21 AM

Haven't thought of those in ages. "Minibikes" they were called, and I think they sold for $225-$250 new in 1969-70. Seriously fun.

KB3LAZ
04-19-2012, 02:07 PM
... It’s more fun than a barrel of monkeys ...

And it had a 4 speed which later developed into a dual range (hi/lo) 4 speed for off-road hill climbing. The Ruckus has a CVT.
http://www.garymcbain.com/wp/?p=255

I think that's just the American market. Pretty stupid not to train on something midsized instead of jumping right up to a 1000cc monster. Which really isn't big anymore by today's standards.

Idk, even the Euro market seems to go from really small bikes to monsters. Can still get a honda 750 here and there but..idk I just dont like the feel of the new Shadows. Mid 90's and early 00's, yes.

Personally, I like a mid weight and engine.

I learned on a Honda 500 (82 I think). My first bike was a Suzuki GS 450. Looked like this one. http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/suzuki_gs_450_l_1980.php

KG4CGC
04-19-2012, 02:56 PM
I think the market is geared towards the big bikes because that's what people want. We really don't have graduated restrictions on the size of bike based on experience and ability like those damned socialist countries over there in Europe Land. Americans just want the biggest baddest bike and the sellers will cater to that. I have heard the sheriff on television saying that the problem in the US is that inexperienced riders will go out and buy a big bike and get themselves killed or hurt because they just don't know how to ride.

KG4CGC
04-19-2012, 04:57 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/29f37af5.jpg

Yeah baby. There ya go. Nice and slow just like you like it.
What's that? Smack you ass? Oh my!
You ARE a dirty girl!

KB3LAZ
04-19-2012, 05:06 PM
LOL

KG4CGC
04-20-2012, 10:22 AM
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj136/BrotherRoscoe/04061501.jpg

Note the rear sprockets. See them both?

NQ6U
04-20-2012, 11:58 AM
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj136/BrotherRoscoe/04061501.jpg

Note the rear sprockets. See them both?

That's a really old model, you actually had to splice in an extra piece of chain using quick links to use the big sprocket. Some time in the mid-Sixties, Honda eliminated the second sprocket and put in a shiftable low range gear box.

KG4CGC
04-20-2012, 03:39 PM
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj136/BrotherRoscoe/318209_313290992073841_123065607763048_737873_1713 06315_n.jpg

n2ize
04-26-2012, 12:34 AM

if you live in New York State you need a license for any vehicle that has any kind of motor, be is a small electric, gas, etc. In addition the vehicle must be registered and tagged. Furthermore not all motorized vehicles are approved for use on public roads. The electric bicycles are most likely for off road use only. New York is one of the toughest states in the nation when it comes to motorized vehicles.

Technically I am breaking New York State motor vehicle law even when I operate my self propelled snow thrower on the street to clear the snow from near the curb. The snow thrower is an "off the road only" vehicle and does not belong on a public thoroughfare. If I want to clear the snow near the curb I am supposed to use a manually operated shovel, not a motor propelled device. Even a motorized rc car is not allowed on a public roadway in NYS.

Now, some local jurisdictions may not bother you for using a small electric bike or moped, But it depends on the locality and the mood of the cop who see's you riding. The few times they spotted me riding an untagged moped they didn't bother me, except once to tell me to make sure I put on a helmet. But it depends on the cop and the mood he's in. Catch him on a bad day he might pull you over, impound the bike and issue a stiff fine.

KB3LAZ
04-26-2012, 04:56 AM
Idk about in NY but in PA you do not need a class M on your DL for a scooter under 50cc. You still have to have a DL though.

KC2UGV
04-26-2012, 07:01 AM
if you live in New York State you need a license for any vehicle that has any kind of motor, be is a small electric, gas, etc. In addition the vehicle must be registered and tagged. Furthermore not all motorized vehicles are approved for use on public roads. The electric bicycles are most likely for off road use only. New York is one of the toughest states in the nation when it comes to motorized vehicles.

Technically I am breaking New York State motor vehicle law even when I operate my self propelled snow thrower on the street to clear the snow from near the curb. The snow thrower is an "off the road only" vehicle and does not belong on a public thoroughfare. If I want to clear the snow near the curb I am supposed to use a manually operated shovel, not a motor propelled device. Even a motorized rc car is not allowed on a public roadway in NYS.

Now, some local jurisdictions may not bother you for using a small electric bike or moped, But it depends on the locality and the mood of the cop who see's you riding. The few times they spotted me riding an untagged moped they didn't bother me, except once to tell me to make sure I put on a helmet. But it depends on the cop and the mood he's in. Catch him on a bad day he might pull you over, impound the bike and issue a stiff fine.

If the motor is under 0.5 kW, or 50cc; and if gas powered, wheels smaller than 10"; you do not need to get it tagged, or have a license to operate it.

KG4NEL
04-26-2012, 01:17 PM
Almost bought a BMW R60/2 a few years ago...still might in the future. Love the look of the old ones :)

NQ6U
04-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Almost bought a BMW R60/2 a few years ago...still might in the future. Love the look of the old ones :)

I used to have a '68 R60. Rode it for three years, then sold it back to the guy I bought it from for exactly what I paid for it. Good deal, but I wish I had it back.

n2ize
04-26-2012, 11:12 PM
If the motor is under 0.5 kW, or 50cc; and if gas powered, wheels smaller than 10"; you do not need to get it tagged, or have a license to operate it.

No, but in that case it is for off the road use only. My moped is just under 50cc but I guess the wheels are too large. In any event it does me no good because it is buried under a pile of heavy lumber with stale varnished gas in the tank. My Dad is expert at trashing stuff. :(

However, from what i was told when i was inquiring whether I could ride it NYS DMV said anything with a motor must be registered or else used off road only. can you cite a paragraph in the DMV code that says you can operate a self propelled vehicle with no tags or license if it is below a certain size ? I can't find it.

KC2UGV
04-27-2012, 06:42 AM
No, but in that case it is for off the road use only. My moped is just under 50cc but I guess the wheels are too large. In any event it does me no good because it is buried under a pile of heavy lumber with stale varnished gas in the tank. My Dad is expert at trashing stuff. :(

However, from what i was told when i was inquiring whether I could ride it NYS DMV said anything with a motor must be registered or else used off road only. can you cite a paragraph in the DMV code that says you can operate a self propelled vehicle with no tags or license if it is below a certain size ? I can't find it.

Can you cite anything in the DMV code that states it's for off-road use only?

How about bicycles? Do they have to be tagged?

n2ize
04-27-2012, 12:04 PM

No not bicycles because they don;t have a gas or electrically driven motor. When I called DMV to inquire about using my moped I was told that any motorized vehicle MUST be approved for use on public roads and must be registered and tagged for use on public roads and the operator must possess a drivers license. Other vehicles that don;t require a registration or license are for off public road use only. This is what I was told in my conversation with NYS DMV in 2001. Now, maybe they have changed it since then. But at the time I was interested that is what they told me.

The ONLY thing that was not mandated for mopeds or small motor vehicles (50 cc or less) was insurance. They recommend insurance but do not require.

N2RJ
04-27-2012, 08:18 PM

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/recreation.htm#mopeds

Motorized Scooters, Mini-Bikes, Dirt Bikes, Go-Karts, Motor Assisted Bicycles

You cannot register any of the motorized devices from the list below in NYS. You cannot operate these devices on sidewalks, public streets or highways in NYS. These devices are motor vehicles, but they do not have the correct equipment or design for operation on roadways.

Motorized Scooter - a device with a motor attached and a handlebar for a standing rider. An example of a motorized scooter is the device called the Go-ped®.
Mini-bike - a small, motorized device with two wheels and created for off-road use. A mini-bike does not qualify as a moped, a motorcycle or an ATV.
Dirt Bike - a motorized device like a motorcycle, but created for and used for off-road use. Some "dirt bikes" qualify as an ATV. These vehicles can register and operate off-road as an ATV.
Go-Kart - a small, motorized device with four wheels, created for off-road use. You cannot register a go-kart as a motor vehicle or ATV because a go-kart does not have the same equipment.
Motor-assisted Bicycle - a bicycle to which a small motor is attached. A motor-assisted bicycle does not qualify for a registration as a motorcycle, moped or ATV and does not have the same equipment.
These devices are not allowed on any street, highway, parking lot, sidewalk or other area that allows public motor vehicle traffic. You are subject to arrest if you operate one of these motorized vehicles and do not have a registration, driver license, inspection, insurance or correct equipment. The DMV can not provide any information about operation of these devices on private property. Contact the local authorities and property owners.

On a side note, a lot of neighborhood kids ignore the law anyway and drive these god damned things up and down the street with their loud lawnmower like engines, all hours of the night. This was when I lived in Queens.

One of the reasons I'm glad I moved out to the country. Couldn't take that shit anymore.

n2ize
04-27-2012, 08:59 PM
http://www.dmv.ny.gov/recreation.htm#mopeds

On a side note, a lot of neighborhood kids ignore the law anyway and drive these god damned things up and down the street with their loud lawnmower like engines, all hours of the night. This was when I lived in Queens.

One of the reasons I'm glad I moved out to the country. Couldn't take that shit anymore.

So the law is pretty much exactly as I stated. In order to qualify for registration for public road use the vehicle must be of a type that complies with certain criteria. A valid license is required for operation ALL motor vehicles that are approved for road use and are registered. And there is no criteria in nanny NYS which permits motor vehicles smaller than a certain size to be operated without license or registration. I didn't think there was any such criteria.

The way it works is like this. If I so much as put even a tiny model airplane engine on a bicycle to propel it at 1 mph at that point it is considered a motorized vehicle and is illegal to operate on public roadways. it doesn't matter how small the vehicle or the motor is. Once you stick on even a small motor on a tiny vehicle it is "off road ONLY" and a crime to operate on public roads.

There are some states that permit you to operate a moped, or a scooter 9gas or electric) without a license or registration provided yoou follow certain simple traffic rules. Unfortunately New York is not one of those states.

Sorry Corey, your outta luck. Buy a motorcycle or moped that can be legally registered or, move to another state that has easier going DMV laws. NYS is one of the toughest motor vehicle states in the nation.