PDA

View Full Version : APRS

KC9ECI
04-15-2012, 09:38 PM
I've been asked to assist with 2012 Arcadia's Brute Challenge Ride http://spreetouring.com/

Pretty interesting geography over there. APRS sigs might have a tough time getting out so I'm thinking about a temp digi up on one of the ridge tops.

Been looking at the TinyTrak4 and the Argent Data Systems Tracker2. Settled on the Tracker2. I've already got the TinyTrak3. The thing that got me to go with the Tracker2 was the slick interface it can do with a Garmin Nuvi 350 et al.

Just curious, how many of the rest of you here are active with APRS and what are you running?

W7XF
04-15-2012, 10:34 PM
Do you have an Android phone?? There are APRS apps for smartphones that will overcome the lack of a digi, if need be.

NQ6U
04-16-2012, 12:02 AM
There's an iPhone app that does it as well.

wa6mhz
04-16-2012, 08:47 AM
I have several APRS tracker systems. The main one was built back in the 90s and has provided reliable service ever since. It is a stock Kantronics KPC-3 driving a Kantronics DATA RADIO which has a small 35W power amp on it. The GPS is a Delorme Tripmate, long obsolete but still one of the best ever made. The main feature here is fully automatic operation. Tripmates are AUTOSTART, which means the begin their sat reception when power is applied. Most other GPSs you have to manually push a button to start them. So whenever the car starts, the Tracker starts. When the car shuts off, so does the tracker. I keep promising to bulid a WAKE UP timer that will start ever few hours, get a GPS Fix, put out the position a few times and then go back to sleep. This is so if the car is ever stolen, even while turned off the car can be found.

The 2nd Tracker is similar for my wifes car, but uses an old 2M FM transmitter and a Trimble MUSHROOM in the back car window. Doesn't work very well, but it works. She disconnected it as she doesn't want me to know where she is.

The next tracker is built into a tiny metal box sold by Harbor Freight. It has a Single board GPS (Autostart), a Tiny Trakker 3 and a Handy talkie. I also built an 8 watt power amp for it. All runs off a Gell Cell inside the case. THis is used for parades and such. The GPS antenna and a rubber duck whip are on the box top so just turn it on, set it in place and off it goes until I turn it off.

The Last tracker I built last year for a 2nd Tracker on the Town Car (for redundancy). It also uses a single board GPS and TT3, and drives a P.O.S. Alinco DR-110T. That was my undoing. While it worked well, it also JAMMED all the other GPSs in the car (including the NAV GPS and even my Cellphone GPS. I couldn't figure out WHY all the GPSs stopped working. Evidently, the DR-110T must have a Harmonic in the GPS band which desenses all the other GPSs. Once I removed that, the rest started working again. SO I need to find another transmitter for it. Works great otherwise.

I really like APRS but don't have an active display in the house. I use FINDU to see where I am.

K7SGJ
04-16-2012, 10:04 AM
I use the Argent Traker2, but I use a dedicated Garmin GPS module. It feeds a Yaesu FT2800M I picked up cheap. When I'm on the road I use the high power setting, but in town the low or medium is just fine. It has been trouble free for a couple of years.

KC9ECI
04-16-2012, 11:43 AM
I have a Garmin Pilot III for my TinkTrak3, and my only complaint is that I have to manually turn it on rather than it turning on with the truck. Someday I'll look for a better GPS to use with it, but for now, as often as I use it, it works.

K7SGJ
04-16-2012, 11:47 AM
I have a Garmin Pilot III for my TinkTrak3, and my only complaint is that I have to manually turn it on rather than it turning on with the truck. Someday I'll look for a better GPS to use with it, but for now, as often as I use it, it works.

If you do, Argent has the Garmin module. I don't recall what it cost, but is wasn't a whole lot. It's small, too. I have it mounted with velcro to the back of the head rest on one of the back seats of the truck so it's out of the way and always has a good look at the sky.

KC9ECI
04-16-2012, 03:35 PM
I picked up a little flat magnet mount antenna for the Garmin off ebay a couple years ago and it works brilliantly. Didn't pay a whole lot for it either. I am looking at the ADS-GM1 GPS and $45 isn't a bad price for that. I'd like to find similar that works off 12V for the TT3. I think I'll probably end up getting a Nuvi for the OT2m though, as I like the way you can interface them together.

http://youtu.be/xuinahud_Dk

W3WN
04-18-2012, 10:50 AM
I've been asked to assist with 2012 Arcadia's Brute Challenge Ride http://spreetouring.com/

Pretty interesting geography over there. APRS sigs might have a tough time getting out so I'm thinking about a temp digi up on one of the ridge tops.

Been looking at the TinyTrak4 and the Argent Data Systems Tracker2. Settled on the Tracker2. I've already got the TinyTrak3. The thing that got me to go with the Tracker2 was the slick interface it can do with a Garmin Nuvi 350 et al.

Just curious, how many of the rest of you here are active with APRS and what are you running?Funny you should mention this.

A member of my club just put his TinyTrak3 & Argent up for sale. $20 each. I've already put in a request for the TinyTrak, and I think KB3ERQ is going for the other. (We got first dibs because the club reflector for some reason marked his message as "spam" and asked for approval... and I approve messages...)

KC9ECI
04-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Nice. I'd have jumped that argent with a quickness.

W3WN
04-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Nice. I'd have jumped that argent with a quickness.
The TinyTrak is mine, the Argent is gone. I was hoping I picked wisely... now you have me wondering...

KC9ECI
04-18-2012, 03:03 PM
The TinyTrak is mine, the Argent is gone. I was hoping I picked wisely... now you have me wondering...

The TT3 is one way. Depending on which Argent tracker it was, it might well be usable as a KISS tnc or a digipeater, etc.

KC9ECI
04-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Had a package in the mailbox today. I thought it might be my Ot2m from Argent. Wrong. It was a null modem cable I bought off an ebay seller on the 17th. I know, I could have made one, but for $3.48 and free shipping, I wasn't even going to plug the soldering iron in. I get a faster response off a sub $5 purchase from an ebay seller than I get for a $100 purchase from Argent.