PDA

View Full Version : Boy have I been out of the loop...

KØWVM
04-14-2012, 11:58 PM
Did not know Albi (W3MIV) passed away or I don't recall it happening... Moving does that sort of thing I guess. Wow...

W4GPL
04-15-2012, 12:03 AM
:-/ Unfortunately.. we lost him a few months past. He was a great guy, has been sorely missed.

If my information is correct, he fell ill, got a cancer diagnosis, and died shortly after.

KØWVM
04-15-2012, 12:05 AM
Saw it as a sig in one of the posters here. I am blown away right now trying to take this in...

KG4CGC
04-15-2012, 12:41 AM
Feel better. He was proud and didn't make a big deal out of it.
It would have been nice if we all could have been with him during his passing but everyone deals with it in their own way.
He will be missed.

kf0rt
04-15-2012, 12:53 AM
:-/ Unfortunately.. we lost him a few months past. He was a great guy, has been sorely missed.

If my information is correct, he fell ill, got a cancer diagnosis, and died shortly after.

Me too, Jeff. I miss Albi dearly.

For those who missed it, here's the obit:

Sun, The (Baltimore, MD) - December 24, 2011
Deceased Name: Albert J. Schramm , technical writer
Albert J. Schramm, a retired technical writer who had founded Albert Schramm & Associates, died Dec. 16 of cancer at Howard County General Hospital. The Howard County resident was 68. The son of the superintendent of the Baltimore Maritime Exchange and a PBX operator, Albert Joseph Schramm was born in Baltimore and raised in Edmondson Village. After graduating in 1961 from Mergenthaler Vocational High School, he enlisted in the Army, where he attained the rank of sergeant and served in intelligence in Germany. He was discharged from the Army in 1967, and he remained an active reservist until 1970. From the early 1970s until the 1980s, Mr. Schramm was an account manager for the Barton-Gillette Co. In 1983, he joined Creative Communications Co., which later became the Douglas-Innes Co., where he rose to vice president. In the late 1980s, he established Albert Schramm & Associates, which prepared annual reports and other technical publications. He retired in 2005. A ham radio operator with the call letters W3MIV, he was a member of the Island of Misfit Hams radio club. He was also a member of the National Rifle Association, Associated Gun Club, Carroll County Gun Club and the Garrison Rifle and Revolver Club. Plans for a memorial service to be held Jan. 17 at the Garrison Forest Veterans Cemetery were incomplete yesterday. Surviving is his wife of 25 years, Barbra Colquitt; and a brother, Bernard "Buz" Schramm of Ocean View, Del.

Sun, The (Baltimore, MD)
Date: December 24, 2011
Edition: FINAL
Page: 12A
Record Number: 11122620250911
Copyright (c) 2011 The Baltimore Sun Company

Albi's intellect was always tack-sharp. Wish he was still here.

W4GPL
04-15-2012, 09:52 AM
I did miss that.. how cool is it that someone thought to mention his relationship with us here? :heart:

NQ6U
04-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Posting mostly for my sig line but, damn, I miss that guy.

koØm
04-15-2012, 05:53 PM
I did miss that.. how cool is it that someone thought to mention his relationship with us here? :heart:

"......Let no man write my epitaph......"

I believe Albert to have been the kind of person to write his own obituary; the memorializing of "The Island" was no accident or, an afterthought by a kind relative, it was the ultimate slap-in-the-face to QRZ.com by W3MIV. Sometimes, it's not what you say, it about what you DON'T say that counts.

Alberts' intellect was wasted on half of the ZED message-boarders and, envied by the other 50%.

He will be missed.

suddenseer
04-15-2012, 06:00 PM
I miss Albi as well. He forced most of us to mind our written grammer, and syntax, and comma splices. Sorry Albi.

WØTKX
04-15-2012, 06:10 PM
We've been talking about Adam Smith in another thread. Albi got me to read "The Wealth of Nations", and a few other great things.

Miss him all the time, especially when posting. I always think... "How would Albi put it"? Then I look for the right words, and give up. ;)

suddenseer
04-15-2012, 06:23 PM
I miss Albi as well. He forced most of us to mind our written grammer, and syntax, and comma splices. Sorry Albi.

KB3LAZ
04-16-2012, 11:35 AM
I miss Albi as well. There are many a night we exchanged lengthy PM's. He was a good teacher if you were willing to learn and an even better person.