PDA

View Full Version : Newark hamfest report

W1GUH
04-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Small ...well, approached mid-sized, in really pretty country in upstate New York. Good coffee....urp!

The star of this particular show as a TR7 with a PS7 for $390...totally tempting. It was a silent key's, and pity, the guy didn't know what it had inside of it. Looked good. If there was an NB-7 inside, it would have followed me home! He also had the speaker for $70. Why I didn't take that speaker I'll never know.

There also was a Viking Adventurer. Looked complete and not butchered, but the paint had lots of scratches. $50. Saw an SX-122, but no interest & it wasn't marked for price.

N8YX
04-15-2012, 09:50 AM
That was a very good price indeed. Unfortunately, there's no good way to tell which options have been installed short of removing the wrap-around and CCA shields. Good luck with getting most sellers to agree to this.

KG4CGC
04-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Just getting to look at radio gear is half the fun.

W1GUH
04-15-2012, 03:58 PM
That was a very good price indeed. Unfortunately, there's no good way to tell which options have been installed short of removing the wrap-around and CCA shields. Good luck with getting most sellers to agree to this.

The filters could be determined with a demo. What I wondered, and I'll have to try this with my '7, was what happens when you turn on the noise blanker without an NB-7.

And Charles, you're right about looking at the equipment. Great to see it there all begging to be taken home!

I did pick up something. An antique 1000ma (kilo-milliamp? 1A?) precision meter. 10 uA divisioins. $5. Antique instruments might be a new disease with me -- they usually go for a song, and look so cool. Might even be functional, to boot!