PDA

View Full Version : WOW!

KC2UGV
04-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Quantum computing isn't just in dreamland anymore. An elementary quantum computer is operating:
http://www.scientificcomputing.com/news-DS-First-Elementary-Quantum-Network-Based-on-Single-Atom-and-Photon-Interfaces-041112.aspx

WØTKX
04-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Yea, I saw that. We must keep track of a lot of the same science news sites. ;)

N2RJ
04-12-2012, 09:03 AM
I don't think this is the first quantum computer... it does seem to be the first quantum network.

Quantum computing research is already pretty advanced believe it or not. The Von Neumann architecture has already been developed for quantum computers and computational tasks such as Shor's algorithm have already been demonstrated using quantum computing.

n2ize
04-12-2012, 09:34 AM
The world has changed rapidly in my life time. Around the time I was born they were still using vacuum tube computers and just transitioning into transistors. During the years I was growing up and even into my early teen years computers were massive machines that took up huge rooms and were filled with circuit boards full of transistors. The general public rarely had access to them. Over the years they got smaller and faster and more and more powerful. Today they sit on our desks, in our pockets, etc. and are more versatile and powerful than anything imaginable in decades past. So... I guess quantum computing is the next step in the progression. Funny, as much as technology has advanced and changed so many other things remain unchanged.

NQ6U
04-12-2012, 12:02 PM
All the answers all at once—scary. Just think: you ask it the meaning of life, the universe and everything and a second later it gives you God's unlisted phone number.

KG4CGC
04-12-2012, 12:14 PM
It lacks drama. Meh.

Here. Add drama: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=316AzLYfAzw

K7SGJ
04-12-2012, 12:28 PM
All the answers all at once—scary. Just think: you ask it the meaning of life, the universe and everything a a second later it gives you God's unlisted phone number.

I tried calling it and got the White House.