PDA

View Full Version : K3 owners

KB3LAZ
04-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Okay, so awhile back I said I had decided on the 817. I haven recently changed my mind. Why? I will explain.

1) I can later upgrade to a 100w PA if I so choose. I really want to go all QRP but this may one day change.
2) The kit aspect gives me a chance to know my rig more intimately.
3) I can buy just the base rig and upgrade it as I see fit.
4) Elecraft seems to continuously upgrade the rig via modules. This is something no one else offers. I like the idea of being able to upgrade my rig rather than buy a new one.

However, I have some questions for those who already own the rig.

What accessories would you suggest for the rig? What Mic would you recommend (I ask because I see they use IC elements)? Does the addition of the general RX module seem to effect the main RX?

The two Accs that I think I am set on are the General RX and Auto tuner. Im have never really used sub RX so that one Im thinking I will hold off on.

Really, any insight beyond what I have read thus far would be welcomed. Though, Ive been tossing the idea of this radio around for a long time. Now that I have liquidated everything but my BA gear, I think its time to make the leap.

Forgot a question. 6KHz filter, worth it? I like AM but..never really have cared for the performance of any of my rice boxes on AM.

KJ3N
04-11-2012, 10:27 PM

What accessories would you suggest for the rig? What Mic would you recommend (I ask because I see they use IC elements)?

That would be news to me. I'm using an old Realistic Highball dynamic mic with my K3. Works just fine for me.

Does the addition of the general RX module seem to effect the main RX?

Wouldn't know. I have plenty of other rigs that have general coverage, I never bothered with that module.

The two Accs that I think I am set on are the General RX and Auto tuner. Im have never really used sub RX so that one Im thinking I will hold off on.

Don't have the auto tuner. I have enough antennas that typical internal auto tuners can't handle. I also use an AL-80B on occasion, so the auto tuner would be a waste. I'm using an external manual tuner; a Palstar AT-1500DT.

Put off the sub RX unless you plan on doing a fair amount of DXpedition hunting.

Really, any insight beyond what I have read thus far would be welcomed. Though, Ive been tossing the idea of this radio around for a long time. Now that I have liquidated everything but my BA gear, I think its time to make the leap.

The "problem" with the K3 is that you can make it what YOU want it to be. I don't know that any two K3s are configured exactly the same from operator to operator.

If you're going to do any phone contesting, get an additional roofing filter. I would suggest the 1.8 KHz filter. If you plan on doing any digital contesting (rtty, cw, psk, etc), I would pick up a 500 Hz roofing filter eventually. I keep meaning to get another filter for digital, but even the DSP filtering seems to handle things pretty well. The DVR is also useful for contesting. I couldn't have gotten through the DE QSO Party in 2010 without one.

Forgot a question. 6KHz filter, worth it? I like AM but..never really have cared for the performance of any of my rice boxes on AM.

You're on your own on this one. I avoid AM like the plague. :hand:

KB3LAZ
04-11-2012, 10:39 PM
That would be news to me. I'm using an old Realistic Highball dynamic mic with my K3. Works just fine for me.

Wouldn't know. I have plenty of other rigs that have general coverage, I never bothered with that module.

Don't have the auto tuner. I have enough antennas that typical internal auto tuners can't handle. I also use an AL-80B on occasion, so the auto tuner would be a waste. I'm using an external manual tuner; a Palstar AT-1500DT.

Put off the sub RX unless you plan on doing a fair amount of DXpedition hunting.

The "problem" with the K3 is that you can make it what YOU want it to be. I don't know that any two K3s are configured exactly the same from operator to operator.

If you're going to do any phone contesting, get an additional roofing filter. I would suggest the 1.8 KHz filter. If you plan on doing any digital contesting (rtty, cw, psk, etc), I would pick up a 500 Hz roofing filter eventually. I keep meaning to get another filter for digital, but even the DSP filtering seems to handle things pretty well. The DVR is also useful for contesting. I couldn't have gotten through the DE QSO Party in 2010 without one.

You're on your own on this one. I avoid AM like the plague. :hand:

As for the mic, I was just reading what they had wrote on the mics listed on their page.

Thank you for the input. I totally forgot about the 500Hz filter!

Im not a very big contester nor do I often hunt DX. Though with such a radical location change, my outlook on that may change as well.

As for the tuner, I have always worked primarily off of 100w or less so it will get frequent use. =) Plus I never hold still, lol.

Oh, and I forgot, I will be restricted to 1 rig for quite some time. Thus a big reason I took serious consideration on what I picked. The K3 just seems to fit the bill for best all around rig to fit my needs.

W3WN
04-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Trav, drop Bill W3WH a note. He has a K3 (granted a 100 W version) that he and Larry K3VX put together.

He loves that rig.

He also has a K1 & a K2 for comparison.

Not only can he tell you more about that rig than I can, he might even be talked into letting you come over and try it... if you don't mind a 90 minute or so drive down I-79...

KB3LAZ
04-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Trav, drop Bill W3WH a note. He has a K3 (granted a 100 W version) that he and Larry K3VX put together.

He loves that rig.

He also has a K1 & a K2 for comparison.

Not only can he tell you more about that rig than I can, he might even be talked into letting you come over and try it... if you don't mind a 90 minute or so drive down I-79...

Thank you. =)

KB3LAZ
04-11-2012, 10:57 PM
On a side note; they have recently added a 2m module. I wonder if 70cm will become a future option. I wont use it but that is besides the point.

NQ6U
04-12-2012, 12:18 AM
The performance of the K3 receiver is remarkably good, especially when it comes to the roofing filters. The cool thing about it is that it's essentially a SDR with an analog interface so upgrades are as easy as downloading a file. If I were in the market for a new radio right now, I wouldn't even bother with anything else.

KC2UGV
04-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Okay, so awhile back I said I had decided on the 817. I haven recently changed my mind. Why? I will explain.

1) I can later upgrade to a 100w PA if I so choose. I really want to go all QRP but this may one day change.
2) The kit aspect gives me a chance to know my rig more intimately.
3) I can buy just the base rig and upgrade it as I see fit.
4) Elecraft seems to continuously upgrade the rig via modules. This is something no one else offers. I like the idea of being able to upgrade my rig rather than buy a new one.

What accessories would you suggest for the rig? What Mic would you recommend (I ask because I see they use IC elements)? Does the addition of the general RX module seem to effect the main RX?

Well, I did not know this about the K3... It's like a PC: Keep removing parts, and replacing them to upgrade? I think that alone makes it worth the extra price for the base model.

It's one reason I always skipped over the K3: I saw it as an expensive QRP rig, that I would end up replacing anyways down the road.

W3WN
04-12-2012, 09:38 AM
The K2 also has an upgrade to go to 100 W. So sometimes you can find one real cheap.

I see the list on the K3 10 W is $1550, the 100 W is $2000. That's in kit form Factory assembled is another $200 for the 10 W, $250 for the 100. And that's without any of the accessories or add-ons, of which there is a quite impressive list.

I've played with W3WH's K3 when I've been over at his home. I do like it, it's a nice rig. If someone offered to buy me one, I wouldn't turn them down, although my kit construction skills are no where near as good as Bill's or K3VX's.

Now the K2 isn't a bad rig either, although there's quite a bit of differences between the K2 & K3. Well, it's differences I can appreciate as a DX'er and contester; to the casual op, it might not matter. $740 for the basic 10 W version, another $400 for the 100 W amp. (And it looks like you can still get the K1 in kit form as well, with choices of bands and accessories, but I don't see an add-on PA for that rig).

I'm impressed with the rigs overall. I still like the Ten-Tec equipment line better, and if I was given a blank check, I'd probably buy from Ten-Tec over Elecraft... but that's more personal preferences than anything.

Trav, I should be seeing Bill at the club meeting tonight (c'mon down! we have pizza!), so if you want, I can talk to him for you.

KB3LAZ
04-12-2012, 09:59 AM
The K2 also has an upgrade to go to 100 W. So sometimes you can find one real cheap.

I see the list on the K3 10 W is $1550, the 100 W is $2000. That's in kit form Factory assembled is another $200 for the 10 W, $250 for the 100. And that's without any of the accessories or add-ons, of which there is a quite impressive list.

I've played with W3WH's K3 when I've been over at his home. I do like it, it's a nice rig. If someone offered to buy me one, I wouldn't turn them down, although my kit construction skills are no where near as good as Bill's or K3VX's.

Now the K2 isn't a bad rig either, although there's quite a bit of differences between the K2 & K3. Well, it's differences I can appreciate as a DX'er and contester; to the casual op, it might not matter. $740 for the basic 10 W version, another $400 for the 100 W amp. (And it looks like you can still get the K1 in kit form as well, with choices of bands and accessories, but I don't see an add-on PA for that rig).

I'm impressed with the rigs overall. I still like the Ten-Tec equipment line better, and if I was given a blank check, I'd probably buy from Ten-Tec over Elecraft... but that's more personal preferences than anything.

Trav, I should be seeing Bill at the club meeting tonight (c'mon down! we have pizza!), so if you want, I can talk to him for you.

Yes, please, any info would be nice. Im 99% sure that is what I am going for. Though, tonight I have to go to a township meeting. They want to do some well drilling on top of what they have already done. They will be putting so many wells on each road, mine included. Those of us that will not be getting wells will still be losing the oil/gas under our land. I guess the township has some agreements drawn up that they want us to approve or disapprove. I want an approval. I dont have enough land to get a well but I do have 5 acres. Which means, if all goes well I will get 3900$ an acre for the product under my land.

..That would pay for my K3 (nicely loaded too), my bike once in Spain, and my honeymoon. Which also means that I will not have to spend any of the money I had planned to. Which will be nice!

As for rig preference I have always liked Icom and Ten-Tec. However for the overall balance I need in a rig atm the K3 fits the bill.

KJ3N
04-12-2012, 09:59 AM

If you can put a generic PC together from parts, you can build a K3. It's mostly mechanical assembly. You need time, a screwdriver or 2, and a VOM. All the circuit boards are pre-built. No soldering at all.

KB3LAZ
04-12-2012, 10:00 AM
If you can put a generic PC together from parts, you can build a K3. It's mostly mechanical assembly. You need time, a screwdriver or 2, and a VOM. All the circuit boards are pre-built. No soldering at all.

I dont think I will have an issue. I built my K1. =)

KC2UGV
04-12-2012, 10:18 AM

Are Tentecs like the K3 in the modular upgrade path?

W3WN
04-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Yes, please, any info would be nice. Im 99% sure that is what I am going for. Though, tonight I have to go to a township meeting. They want to do some well drilling on top of what they have already done. They will be putting so many wells on each road, mine included. Those of us that will not be getting wells will still be losing the oil/gas under our land. I guess the township has some agreements drawn up that they want us to approve or disapprove. I want an approval. I dont have enough land to get a well but I do have 5 acres. Which means, if all goes well I will get 3900$ an acre for the product under my land.

..That would pay for my K3 (nicely loaded too), my bike once in Spain, and my honeymoon. Which also means that I will not have to spend any of the money I had planned to. Which will be nice!

As for rig preference I have always liked Icom and Ten-Tec. However for the overall balance I need in a rig atm the K3 fits the bill.From what I know of the law, you still have to be paid royalties on any gas or oil extracted from beneath your property, even if the well itself is located on an adjacent property. When you get the money, that I don't know.

Needless to say, if you need to talk with an attorney, give Mike K3AIR a buzz. Tell him I said "hi!"

W3WN
04-12-2012, 10:27 AM
If you can put a generic PC together from parts, you can build a K3. It's mostly mechanical assembly. You need time, a screwdriver or 2, and a VOM. All the circuit boards are pre-built. No soldering at all.Hmmm. Well, I remember Bill & Larry talking about winding some coils... it's a moot point right now, I can't afford one anyway.

W3WN
04-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Are Tentecs like the K3 in the modular upgrade path?Ten Tec equipment is made to be user serviceable, for the most part. So I think the answer is a qualified "yes" -- after all, the upgrade modules have to be available. And it depends on the particular model as well.

For example, they just released a replacement board for the sub-receiver in the Orion & Orion II; my understanding is that it's essentially the receiver assembly from the new Eagle. Word is that it brings the sub-receiver (2nd rx) up to snuff with the main one, some even claim it's better.

KJ3N
04-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Hmmm. Well, I remember Bill & Larry talking about winding some coils... it's a moot point right now, I can't afford one anyway.

That would have been the K2.

KB3LAZ
04-12-2012, 11:22 AM
From what I know of the law, you still have to be paid royalties on any gas or oil extracted from beneath your property, even if the well itself is located on an adjacent property. When you get the money, that I don't know.

Needless to say, if you need to talk with an attorney, give Mike K3AIR a buzz. Tell him I said "hi!"

Lol, thank you. I have a two lawyers on retainer as it is.

W3WN
04-12-2012, 12:15 PM
That would have been the K2.I don't think so, but rather than argue, I'll just ask them tonight at the club meeting.

KJ3N
04-12-2012, 01:46 PM
I don't think so, but rather than argue, I'll just ask them tonight at the club meeting.

Please do, because as someone who built his K3 3-4 years ago, I can tell you I wound no coil.

W3WN
04-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Yes, please, any info would be nice. Im 99% sure that is what I am going for. < snip >
As for rig preference I have always liked Icom and Ten-Tec. However for the overall balance I need in a rig atm the K3 fits the bill.Spoke to Bill. He's looking forward to hearing from you and answering any questions he can on the K3.

His call at comcast dot net.

W3WN
04-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Please do, because as someone who built his K3 3-4 years ago, I can tell you I wound no coil.I asked, but we got interrupted and I never did get an answer.

But they were thinking that it was the K2 that had the issues with coils, and what I was thinking of was comments to the effect that they didn't have to do that with the K3. Thus my confusion.

KB3LAZ
04-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Spoke to Bill. He's looking forward to hearing from you and answering any questions he can on the K3.

His call at comcast dot net.

Once again, thank you and I will email him, time permitting tomorrow. =)

wa6mhz
04-19-2012, 09:43 AM
The K3 is easily the RIG OF CHOICE for the Top DXers and Contesters wherever I go.

KG4CGC
04-19-2012, 03:52 PM
The K3 is easily the RIG OF CHOICE for the Top DXers and Contesters wherever I go.

How has Ten Tec fared over the years in your experience with contesters?

N8YX
04-19-2012, 05:04 PM
How has Ten Tec fared over the years in your experience with contesters?
ON4UN liked his Orion IIs a lot.

Personally, I wouldn't object to having a pair of either.

W3WN
04-20-2012, 10:23 PM
How has Ten Tec fared over the years in your experience with contesters?Quite well. There are more than a few contest stations that have equipped themselves with Orions or Orion II's in recent years.

Oh, there's no doubt that the K3 and the Orion II are fierce competitors. I've used a K3, and I've used an Orion (the original, not the II) and they are, overall, very comparable.

So, why do you hear K3 K3 K3 of late? The K3 is a smaller and more compact radio, and as such, it is easier to haul around on DXpeditions. Plus, Elecraft has been very agressive in loaning the K3 out on DXpeditions -- and clearly the publicity is paying off ro them -- while Ten Tec has chosen not to do so.

You also have to consider that for some reason, there's been a very anti-Ten Tec contingent over the years. I couldn't explain to you why; but I ran into this back in the mid 1980's when I worked at a ham radio dealership that sold Ten Tec's along with the Big JA 3. There were some guys who would trash talk TT up one side, down the other, and twice on Sunday. Not one of them had ever owned one or even used one, but they Just Knew that the equipment was dreck, and that was that.

Now, I could put a Corsair side by side with a Kenwood 930 (the two top of the line rigs for their respective brands at that time), same antenna, same frequency... call someone, let a potential customer ask for a side-by-side comparison (without identifying the rigs on the air). The Corsair beat the 930 on performance every time. This crowd, though, refused to believe it. I got called all sorts of not so nice names for "obviously" fixing the results, somehow...

The only gripe I have with the Orions is... well, for casual day to day operating, it has a lot of features that I will never use. In a contest environment, that's a different story... those features (such as the filtering) come in REAL handy. So if you ever hand me one, I'll bet the heck out of it in a contest. But day to day? The Omni VI is more than enough. (NOT, mind you, that I'd turn that Orion down!)

If someone handed me a K3, I'd take it, use it, and thank them daily as well. Is it my first choice? No. Not because it's a bad rig -- it's a very good rig, one of the best. I just think the Orions and the Omni VII's are better.

KG4NEL
04-23-2012, 09:40 PM
I asked, but we got interrupted and I never did get an answer.

But they were thinking that it was the K2 that had the issues with coils, and what I was thinking of was comments to the effect that they didn't have to do that with the K3. Thus my confusion.

Elecraft also offered the K2 with toroids pre-wound from the factory.

KG4NEL
04-23-2012, 09:43 PM
On a side note; they have recently added a 2m module. I wonder if 70cm will become a future option. I wont use it but that is besides the point.

I would, a lot :)

I'm not a crazy-active VHF/UHF contester, but I wouldn't mind a one-box solution for both FM and multimode. I've been thinking about an FT-847, but that's a lot of money to spend on a rig that's over 10 years old.