PDA

View Full Version : OpenOffice Spreadsheet ??

n2ize
04-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Question... Say I have a column of data in an OpenOffice spread sheet and I want to flip the column. I don;t want to sort it into ascending or descending order or to transpose rows to columns, or vice versa I just want to flip the columns. For example if my column is

I only want to flip it... so I would get..

Notice, no sorting or anything fancy, just flip it.

Of course my column is much larger, hundreds of values, and I can't find any simple way just to flip the column, short of recopying it manually. I check online but everything says how to reverse sort or transpose. I don;t want to do that. I only want to flip the columns.

KC2UGV
04-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Why are you flipping it?

I'm asking, because if it's to graph the values, you can flip the axis in the chart itself, instead of the series.

KC2UGV
04-11-2012, 01:07 PM
You can, however, put a column next to it, enter 4 cells, containing 1-4, and extend the sequence. Then, select both columns, sort on the new column "Descending", expanding the selection to include your data series.

n2ize
04-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Why are you flipping it?

I'm asking, because if it's to graph the values, you can flip the axis in the chart itself, instead of the series.

Okay, I managed to get it to work.

The hardware (a medical device that measured blood glucose levels) generated the data as follows

Date Time Reading
------- ------- ------------
mm/dd/yy hh:mm AM/PM xyz

However, the way it was displayed when imported into the spreadsheet was starting with the newest reading and progressing row by row down to the oldest reading. I wanted to flip the order so it would begin with the oldest to newest. The problem arose because I was trying to flip each column separately, in which case the dates and readings would no longer correspond to the dates. But when I sorted on the date column and included the remaining 2 columns in the sort it worked out fine.

This shouldn't be an issue in the future because I am setting it up so that the patient will automatically store the readings in a database each time they check their blood glucose. it will also store related daily information, such as diet, meals, exercise, medication times, etc. From there the data can be arranged into chart (graph) form, daily , weekly, and monthly averages, etc. The idea to create a profile of the patient so that they and their doctor can better manage their diabetes.

BTW the "patient" is my Mom and through her doctor she is trying to manage her diabetes through diet, exercise, and medication. She was keeping all the information on a hand written sheets. So I figured, with all this technology laying around here I might as well put it to good use.

ad4mg
04-11-2012, 07:31 PM
You can, however, put a column next to it, enter 4 cells, containing 1-4, and extend the sequence. Then, select both columns, sort on the new column "Descending", expanding the selection to include your data series.

Nice!

n2ize
04-12-2012, 09:35 AM

Thanks for this idea. It may come in handy some time down the road.