PDA

View Full Version : Computers

n2ize
04-10-2012, 07:23 AM
I think if I could live my life over again I would like to 1) Either live in a world with no computers. 2) Live in an advanced world where computers work so flawlessly they never cause any headaches. 3) Live in the present but knowing as little about computers as possible. Seems like there is always some kind of glitch, question, or problem. :)

W1GUH
04-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Be here, now!

NQ6U
04-10-2012, 07:15 PM
There's a word for that kind of post. The word is wanking.

KC2UGV
04-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Even in Star Trek, they had problems with computers. Anything will break down eventually.

n2ize
04-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Even in Star Trek, they had problems with computers. Anything will break down eventually.

Self replicating and self healing ??

KC2UGV
04-11-2012, 01:08 PM

Come on, let's be real now, only the Borg can do that...

W1GUH
04-11-2012, 01:59 PM
There's a word for that kind of post. The word is wanking.

Mental masturbation.

n2ize
04-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Come on, let's be real now, only the Borg can do that...

But who knows what the future will hold ?? ;)

kf0rt
04-11-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm with ya, John. Without writing a massive post, I've been "doing computers" full-time since 1978 and the game has lost a lot of it's lustre. Spend way more time fighting it than having fun these days and I think it's because everyone has a toe in the water.

Kind of wish I'd switched to Real Estate about 25 years ago.

N2RJ
04-12-2012, 09:04 AM

Self healing? Sure. There's an iPhone case for that. Invented by Nissan:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248346/meet_nissans_selfhealing_scratch_shield_iphone_cas e.html

N2RJ
04-12-2012, 09:05 AM
I'm with ya, John. Without writing a massive post, I've been "doing computers" full-time since 1978 and the game has lost a lot of it's lustre. Spend way more time fighting it than having fun these days and I think it's because everyone has a toe in the water.

Although I've not been a full time "professional" for that long, I have felt burnt out but really it's pretty easy to separate the sheep from the goats these days. Sure, anyone can park themselves in front of a keyboard but that's where the similarity between a bullshitter and a real professional ends.

n2ize
04-12-2012, 09:27 AM

Yeah but in my case I am not a computer guy (although we do use them a lot in my line of work) yet sometimes I still feel burned out. I think what gives me the "burned out" feeling at times is not so much using them for work or for things I like to do at home, but the thing where everyone thinks you are an expert in everything that has anything to do with computers. Like people I know who will call me and ask me why some obscure website in the Georgian republic is down. I mean really ? How am I supposed to know why its down. Maybe somebody chopped down the power pole to use for firewood. Maybe someone stole the fibre optic cable to sell for money for food. Is there a differential equation I can solve that can explain why a given server is down in any part of the world at any given time ?? I mean really, what are these people thinking when they ask me those crazy questions. That is what gives me computer burn-out.

WØTKX
04-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Tell them it's Peggy's fault.

KJ3N
04-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Tell them it's Peggy's fault.

http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/22313_Peggy_Capital_One.png

n2ize
04-12-2012, 04:59 PM
It's Peggy's fault.

kf0rt
04-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Yeah but in my case I am not a computer guy (although we do use them a lot in my line of work) yet sometimes I still feel burned out. I think what gives me the "burned out" feeling at times is not so much using them for work or for things I like to do at home, but the thing where everyone thinks you are an expert in everything that has anything to do with computers. Like people I know who will call me and ask me why some obscure website in the Georgian republic is down. I mean really ? How am I supposed to know why its down. Maybe somebody chopped down the power pole to use for firewood. Maybe someone stole the fibre optic cable to sell for money for food. Is there a differential equation I can solve that can explain why a given server is down in any part of the world at any given time ?? I mean really, what are these people thinking when they ask me those crazy questions. That is what gives me computer burn-out.

I get that all the time. Makes me wonder about doctors. "Say, I've got this bump on my ass -- could you check it out?"

"Fuck you, I'm a dentist."

I'll still do support for family, but it's touch and go. My wife wants game support (I don't do computer games). Got a call from my sis last week complaining that her computer wanted a password. Wierd -- I didn't set it up that way. Wasn't the Windows login, but a DNS hijack on the web browser. Had her run Malwarebytes and that fixed it. Very rare to fix something like this over the phone. Usually, it's a 20 mile drive.

kb2vxa
04-14-2012, 03:54 PM
"Self replicating and self healing??"

The Krell of Altair 4 built one that destroyed them in one night, then a few million years later came back to bite Dr. Morbeus on the ass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_Planet

n2ize
04-15-2012, 01:55 PM
The problem with computers is that it is a thankless job. it doesn't matter how many problems you solve for people, how much time you spend solving them, you will rarely get even so much as a "thank you". But if, God forbid, you don;t solve a problem immediately, or if it takes you a little but of time to diagnose, or, if you are just exhausted and put if off for a day you will be harshly criticized for not having produced immediate results.

This is why if I could do it all over again I would be strictly an old fashioned "paper and pencil" guy, a Luddite who knows nothing about new tech and especially computers.

NQ6U
04-15-2012, 01:58 PM
This is why if I could do it all over again I would be strictly an old fashioned "paper and pencil" guy, a Luddite who knows nothing about new tech and especially computers.

But then you'd be missing out on this!

n2ize
04-15-2012, 05:13 PM
But then you'd be missing out on this!

Now THAT I like...Nice stuff !!

W2NAP
04-15-2012, 05:59 PM
but without computers we would not have this wonderful series of tubes

KJ3N
04-15-2012, 11:46 PM
Now THAT I like...Nice stuff !!

The computers look a little dated, too. :snicker:

NQ6U
04-16-2012, 12:07 AM
The computers look a little dated, too. :snicker:

Here's a slightly newer model. Nicer legs, too.

n2ize
04-16-2012, 05:35 PM

Nice !!! I like this too ! That is some nice "equipment". ;)

n2ize
04-16-2012, 05:38 PM

Yeah, but you can't beat that very early 1960's hair-do.