PDA

View Full Version : Photo bugs.. find me a camera. :)

W4GPL
04-08-2012, 09:55 PM
I've never really owned a camera before. I may have had a cheap 35MM when I was a kid.. I've had cell phone cameras, but they always disappoint.

I want a digital camera, nothing fancy, just stuff to take pictures of like a tourist.. stabilization control is important because my hands never seem steady enough. Based on my browsing of Amazon, my price point seems to be somewhere between $90 and $150-ish. A little more if I can be convinced that a slight bump is worth it.

KG4CGC
04-08-2012, 10:36 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-228730-Super-Slim-Wide-Angle-3-0-Inch/dp/B004L2L6LA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333942485&sr=8-1

This little Olympus is available at the evil empire for under 180. Only thing I don't know about is the battery life. Look up the reviews online.

W4GPL
04-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Thanks.. Is it the same camera at the evil empire? :)

KG4CGC
04-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks.. Is it the same camera at the evil empire? :)

Honestly, I don't know if there are subtle differences. SZ-10 for the model number is the same. They may be clearing them out.
I found this model, which I know nothing about online. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Olympus-14-MP-227665/13812738?findingMethod=rr
Check the physical store.

Here's an SZ10 review. http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/olympus_sz_10_review/

kf0rt
04-09-2012, 06:30 PM
My dime's worth.... Digital photography has now matured to the point where it's actually hard to buy a bad camera. Go to WalMart or Target and play -- pick the one that works for you.

Canon still probably has the best cheap cameras, but Olympus and Nikon are good, too. (Charles is right). In the camera market today, the top brands are very close and the devil is in the operational details -- you might hate using a Nikon but love using an Olympus even though the pictures are very close to the same. Go for the UI that works for you.

I seem to collect cameras more than ham stuff these days (use them more, too). Best little pocket cam I have is a Canon S95; paid $229 for it on an Amazon STEAL a few months ago. Dropped it on cement in Cancun (Island moment); nary a scratch and it still works like new. An S100 (today's model) will set you back over 4 bills, but it's top-notch for a compact.

My advice: just go to the store and pick something you like. Canon usually wins in the P&S brand wars. Well built and easy to understand.

In the real photo wars, we're seeing some stunning work coming out of iPhones these days. The market is pretty mature.

KG4CGC
04-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Yes, Canon usually wins the P&S category but I suggested the Olympus for it's features and price.
I like the Canon SX(i) series. A little bigger than a pocket camera but has tremendous zoom and a plethora of other features and starts in the $250 range.
Nikon currently has some awesome P&S that are unsurpassed for low light ... for now.

kf0rt
04-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Yes, Canon usually wins the P&S category but I suggested the Olympus for it's features and price.
I like the Canon SX(i) series. A little bigger than a pocket camera but has tremendous zoom and a plethora of other features and starts in the $250 range.
Nikon currently has some awesome P&S that are unsurpassed for low light ... for now.

No flame: probably the best P&S I ever owned was an Oly C5050. That thing kicked ass in it's day. Flawed by a capacitor problem. Olympus knows their shit on camera stuff (seriously, the last time I had a colonoscopy, ... well...)

I seem to do cameras like Paul (GUH) does boat anchors these days. Have more than I'll ever use. Love Nikon better than Canon for DSLR stuff, but use the S95 and an SX40 regularly. Latest acquisition is the Micro-Nikkor 105mm VR lens. Been too busy lately to even play with it.

:(

KG4CGC
04-09-2012, 07:38 PM
No flame: What? LOL! Never was. I still have a Canon SD100 from 2000 that still kicks it LOL! Like a tank in your pocket.
Canon does a bang up job on full sized CMOS sensors. Nikon now has been offering the same but now we're talking some BUCK$.
The Nikon DX series is their 2/3rds size sensor, non CMOS.
I'd love to have a Hasselblad medium format digital but for that price I could probably buy 3 modestly priced cars.
http://www.hasselbladusa.com/products.aspx

kf0rt
04-09-2012, 07:55 PM
No flame: What? LOL! Never was. I still have a Canon SD100 from 2000 that still kicks it LOL! Like a tank in your pocket.
Canon does a bang up job on full sized CMOS sensors. Nikon now has been offering the same but now we're talking some BUCK$.
The Nikon DX series is their 2/3rds size sensor, non CMOS.
I'd love to have a Hasselblad medium format digital but for that price I could probably buy 3 modestly priced cars.
http://www.hasselbladusa.com/products.aspx

Sucks, man.. Even the cheapest of the cheap now outstrips my abilities as a photographer. Love it just the same, and I've been Jonesing for the GX1. My main cam these days is a Nikon D7000. Still have (and sometimes use) the D80. Pile of lenses, too, but I'm past the point where more equipment would help. Somewhere here, I need to learn some art. Far from a pro, but maybe when I retire...?

W1GUH
04-09-2012, 07:59 PM
I agree with "Hard to go wrong with a P&S from a good name." I'm a Canon guy through and through and it's hard to imagine being unhappy with something from them. But that's preference - Nikon and Olympus probably kick ass, too.

Seems the important thing is the features you want. Several retailers have good descriptions on their websites and that's a whole lot easier than traipsing from store to store looking for the combination you want.

What I really love about P&S's is they fit in a shirt pocket and can go where larger cameras can't, at least conveniently.

Oh....if you get an impulse go go "deluxe", the Canon G-series (I think the current designation is G-12) is damn close to DSLR performance for about five bucks. But, IMHO, that'd be overkill for random snapshots.

You're probably going to love the results you get. Have fun with it!

WØTKX
04-09-2012, 08:04 PM
I bough a Sanyo, and loved the UI. But the pictures suck compared to my work issued Nikon Coolpix. We got upgraded to the iPhone 4S on Verizon at work... the camera is amazing for a phone. Takes decent movies too. I'd still like a point and shoot that works better, and I'd like to do some macro stuff as well... and I'll look soon.

Rob, you have any suggestions for a cheaper camera that will let me take OK macro shots of bugs and stuff?

I realize I need a 35mm SLR style to really do macro, but I'd still rather spend money on radios and ski gear. And the Miata needs a roll bar. ;)

NQ6U
04-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Sucks, man.. Even the cheapest of the cheap now outstrips my abilities as a photographer.

Same deal here. I have a Panasonic DMC-FX50 that's more than a point and shoot but not a DSLR. "Only" 10 megapixels but really nice Leica glass and despite no interchangeable lenses, way more camera than I'll ever need. Or be able to use.

W4GPL
04-09-2012, 08:29 PM
I bough a Sanyo, and loved the UI. But the pictures suck compared to my work issued Nikon Coolpix. We got upgraded to the iPhone 4S on Verizon at work... the camera is amazing for a phone. Takes decent movies too. I'd still like a point and shoot that works better, and I'd like to do some macro stuff as well... and I'll look soon.My phone takes decent pictures, as good as I need, but the biggest problem is I can't see the damn screen in the sun.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I think I'm going to go with Canon because of the wide range of hacks for it..

KG4CGC
04-09-2012, 08:34 PM
My phone takes decent pictures, as good as I need, but the biggest problem is I can't see the damn screen in the sun.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I think I'm going to go with Canon because of the wide range of hacks for it..
Man! Don't hack your camera. Canon is VERY GOOD about doing warrantee work and they do it fast. Start hacking the thing and if anything happens, you're SOL.

W4GPL
04-09-2012, 08:42 PM
I know, it's a risk I'm willing to take. I hack, therefore I am... You have no idea how idea how hard it is for me NOT to hack my brand new car; if you think I'm not going to hack a $180 camera, you're crazy. ;)

WØTKX
04-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Oh, I forgot. I wanna take pictures of frogs too. ;)

KG4CGC
04-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Oh, I forgot. I wanna take pictures of frogs too. ;)

Frogs are our friends ☺

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/treefrogCOPYjpg.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/TheLittleFroggy.jpg

KG4CGC
04-09-2012, 08:53 PM
I know, it's a risk I'm willing to take. I hack, therefore I am... You have no idea how idea how hard it is for me NOT to hack my brand new car; if you think I'm not going to hack a $180 camera, you're crazy. ;)

Depends on the car. Are you just changing a chip? Something you can undo? Filing the sparkplug tabs? Upgrading the throttle body? etc

kf0rt
04-09-2012, 09:17 PM
I bough a Sanyo, and loved the UI. But the pictures suck compared to my work issued Nikon Coolpix. We got upgraded to the iPhone 4S on Verizon at work... the camera is amazing for a phone. Takes decent movies too. I'd still like a point and shoot that works better, and I'd like to do some macro stuff as well... and I'll look soon.

Rob, you have any suggestions for a cheaper camera that will let me take OK macro shots of bugs and stuff?

I realize I need a 35mm SLR style to really do macro, but I'd still rather spend money on radios and ski gear. And the Miata needs a roll bar. ;)

Most of the P&S cameras I've played with are quite good with macro stuff. I've got an older Canon S3-IS, and swear that thing will focus on dust on it's own lens. In short, just about any P&S today will handle the macro stuff OK. Just make sure it has a macro setting. The Macro pros of course use better gear (it's a lot like ham radio, eh?). Still learning, but the 105 VR Micro-Nikkor I bought a few months ago is a $900 lens. I've got a $200 Canon SD780 that does fine with macro stuff.

Most of this really does "just work" and the talent is in the wrist as they say. Go to WalMart and play. Seriously. Find something you like that's in your price range and just buy it.

I'm not much of a brand snob -- digital cameras have come a very long way in a very short time and it's really hard to go wrong if you stick with the top 3-4 brands. Love Canon P&S and Nikon DSLR's, but my love for Nikon DSLR stuff has a lot more more to do with the Nikon UI than the pictures produced. In a juried photo selection, you'd be hard pressed to see the difference. I can run a Nikon DSLR like an old Pentax Spotmatic. Feels like home. The Canon 5D Mk II makes me think, and that's a distraction I don't need. Many prefer the Canon, so it's really a matter of personal preference.

Will have to think more for a P&S macro recommendation, but it seems like just about everything I've had for the last 4-5 years will handle that until you get real serious about it. Just about all the P&S cameras these days do a pretty good job with macro stuff.

Might check out the macro forum on dpreview for inspiration. ;) http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1054 Some of these guys do bugs like you've never seen, and they're not all using "top gear."

kf0rt
04-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Man! Don't hack your camera. Canon is VERY GOOD about doing warrantee work and they do it fast. Start hacking the thing and if anything happens, you're SOL.

In a word: CHDK -- The Canon Hack Development Kit. (Google it). I've played and it's available for most Canon PowerShot cameras. CHDK doesn't interfere with the native firmware -- it's loaded from the SD card as an add-on. Want that great lightning shot? CHDK will trip the shutter based on a lighting threshold. Put your camera on a tripod and let CHDK do the work. You can script your own stuff if you want. Intervalometers, motion detection, etc. Way cool, but I never seem to find the time for it.

W4GPL
04-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Way cool, but I never seem to find the time for it.Man, I know how that feels.

KG4CGC
04-09-2012, 11:29 PM
I did not know that about those hacks.

N2RJ
04-10-2012, 12:38 PM
I don't carry around a real camera much unless I know I'm going to shoot something, such as an event or a photo safari. In that case I will carry a dslr.

Instead, I use my iPhone. Many of today's smartphones have cameras that are good enough to rival average pocket sized P&S cameras.

KB3LAZ
04-11-2012, 08:36 PM
I don't carry around a real camera much unless I know I'm going to shoot something, such as an event or a photo safari. In that case I will carry a dslr.

Instead, I use my iPhone. Many of today's smartphones have cameras that are good enough to rival average pocket sized P&S cameras.

I dont have a cellphone but I do carry a nikon d3100.

W4GPL
04-14-2012, 10:42 PM
Went ahead and got myself a Canon SX150 IS.. paid $160.. Office Depot priced matched Amazon. So far it seems to do what I need and more. Thanks for everyone's advice!

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sx150_is

kf0rt
04-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Went ahead and got myself a Canon SX150 IS.. paid $160.. Office Depot priced matched Amazon. So far it seems to do what I need and more. Thanks for everyone's advice!

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sx150_is

Canon pretty well rocks the P&S world. Hope you enjoy the thing, and post some pics, dammit!

;)

W4GPL
04-14-2012, 11:30 PM
Canon pretty well rocks the P&S world. Hope you enjoy the thing, and post some pics, dammit!

;)When I get better; I'll be able to take some pics of cool stuff. ;)

kf0rt
04-15-2012, 01:06 AM
When I get better; I'll be able to take some pics of cool stuff. ;)

Photo stuff is my other hobby. No, wait, I actually have more cameras than ham gear.

Play and have fun. Spent this afternoon getting drunk with in-laws. Pulled off a decent deal with a Canon S95 pocket camera. Had I known, I would have taken the Nikon.

"Hey y'all, watch this."