PDA

View Full Version : Jack Bogut Memorial Joke

W3WN
04-05-2012, 07:54 PM
And now, it is time for the annual recital of the official Jack Bogut Memorial Joke:

There will be no beer sold at PNC Park this year.

"Why? (you ask)"

Because.... drum roll please...

The Pirates Lost The Opener.

* sigh *

That, and our new seats didn't turn out all that great. On the one hand, we're much closer to home plate (Section 323 instead of 328 . On the other hand, we're just off center of the aisle, which isn't where we expected to be, and every time someone enters or leaves, we get climbed over. Grumble, grumble, grumble...

K7SGJ
04-05-2012, 08:09 PM
And now, it is time for the annual recital of the official Jack Bogut Memorial Joke:

There will be no beer sold at PNC Park this year.

"Why? (you ask)"

Because.... drum roll please...

The Pirates Lost The Opener.

* sigh *

That, and our new seats didn't turn out all that great. On the one hand, we're much closer to home plate (Section 323 instead of 328 . On the other hand, we're just off center of the aisle, which isn't where we expected to be, and every time someone enters or leaves, we get climbed over. Grumble, grumble, grumble...

With a little practice, you'll be lifting wallets like a pro.

NQ6U
04-05-2012, 09:18 PM
If that were true, there would never be any beer sold at Petco.

W3WN
04-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Aisle view from just by our seats, Section 323 Row J 16 - 18 (right above the entry tunnel, so we're actually in the "first" row):
We actually have a decent, unobstructed view of home plate from here...

K7SGJ
04-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Are the stands always that unpopulated?

W3WN
04-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Are the stands always that unpopulated?
Hah!

I should have explained... that picture was taken about 45 minutes before game time.

The stands were packed. A sell out... not even SRO tickets left. They said it was the largest crowd at PNC Park ever, let alone for opening day, as you can see here from someone elses photo (just before the National Anthem was sung):

K7SGJ
04-06-2012, 10:48 AM
That's good news! It's a bad sign when there are more bodies on the field than in the stands.

W3WN
04-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Well, most years, the Home Opener is later in the month (they usually spend the first week or two on the road) so that the weather is, hopefully warmer. And it's usually on a Monday, which means Home Game #2 is Tuesday or Wednesday; weeknight games on a cold April evening have been known to have less than 10 K in the crowd.

But... this year was a warm day for early April (60 or warmer in the stands). Game 2 is Saturday, which is a fireworks night, and is already close to a sell-out. Doesn't hurt that attendance that the Philly Phaithful travel well -- and that the Flyers are playing the Penguins Saturday afternoon, so a Philly Sports Phanatic can get in two or three games for the price of one trip.

W1GUH
04-06-2012, 05:35 PM
That reminds me. I think a GREAT time for a Pittsburgh visit would be when the Tigers are in town, like June 22-24. What I'd do for a ticket is buy one now, to make sure I've got something...but then show up at the park and ask for the BEST available ticket. Used to do that at Yankee Stadium & usually got primo seats -- usually about the 4th row right behind home plate or, on another occasion (A Rod's first game in Yankee Stadium) box seats right by 3rd base. Also worked at Angel's stadium.

Don't go to Yankee Stadium anymore. The greed exhibited by Steinbrenner and company in their ticket prices for the new Stadium has removed any motivation to go there. Used to be $100 for those seats. Last I checked they're over $200. Gimme an f'in break, already!

I AM an avid (almost rabid) Tiger fan, especially with Jim Leyland. Makes my head spin to try to digest that the Tigers have been contenders for a few seasons (but they STILL don't get no respect!).

W3WN
04-06-2012, 08:40 PM
That reminds me. I think a GREAT time for a Pittsburgh visit would be when the Tigers are in town, like June 22-24. What I'd do for a ticket is buy one now, to make sure I've got something...but then show up at the park and ask for the BEST available ticket. Used to do that at Yankee Stadium & usually got primo seats -- usually about the 4th row right behind home plate or, on another occasion (A Rod's first game in Yankee Stadium) box seats right by 3rd base. Also worked at Angel's stadium.

Don't go to Yankee Stadium anymore. The greed exhibited by Steinbrenner and company in their ticket prices for the new Stadium has removed any motivation to go there. Used to be $100 for those seats. Last I checked they're over $200. Gimme an f'in break, already!

I AM an avid (almost rabid) Tiger fan, especially with Jim Leyland. Makes my head spin to try to digest that the Tigers have been contenders for a few seasons (but they STILL don't get no respect!).
Yeah. Field Day weekend. Again. I HATE when they have a home series on FD weekend, I end up pulling the midnight shift at N3SH.

The Tigers are popular here, because Leyland is still popular here. So if you're going to do that, buy your ticket online NOW. Especially if it's for the Saturday game. Then you can come out to South Park afterwards and operate at N3SH.

W1GUH
04-07-2012, 03:32 AM
That could be a plan, and a good one! I hadn't checked the FD date, but yea, a game Friday night then FD over the weekend. Will "pencil that in." Checked ticket availability last night & there's still lots of good ones left, but your words about Jim Leyland are very worth heeding.

Thanks!

W3WN
04-07-2012, 01:34 PM
That could be a plan, and a good one! I hadn't checked the FD date, but yea, a game Friday night then FD over the weekend. Will "pencil that in." Checked ticket availability last night & there's still lots of good ones left, but your words about Jim Leyland are very worth heeding.

Thanks!I just looked at the calendar, and (subject to change, of course) the Saturday game vs. the Tigers is a 4:05 PM afternoon game. Which means I can get to FD at a decent time after the game is over, for once, woo hoo! We'll work something out, if you come.

By the way, the N3SH Field Day site is the old Model Airplane field in Allegheny County's South Park, just off State Route 88 (The old South Hills Brasspounders used this as their FD site for many years, before they went dormant) so it will be easy enough to find. Talk-in will be available on 146.955 MHz.

W1GUH
04-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks, Ron. Lot of time between now and then -- but sounds like a great weekend to plan.