PDA

View Full Version : Anderson PowerPoles...

KA9MOT
04-05-2012, 12:41 AM
Is there a reason so many Amateurs and so many manufacturer of amateur equipment is using them?
I can see no good reason to use a proprietary connector for your power needs. The amateur market is the only market I know that uses them. I just don't get it.

There are many reasons why you shouldn't use them and I have never seen a single good reason to use them.

Can anybody come up with a reason to use them? A reason that I can't easily duplicate at my local auto parts store?

KG4CGC
04-05-2012, 12:45 AM
I hate them. They suck and it was a stupid idea. Screw down binding posts are the way to go.
If you simply MUST be so ANAL that you have to have something too simple for even the most stupid among us, what's wrong with banana plugs?
BTW, I've read elsewhere where people use APP in mobile applications and the connectors would often come unplugged.
Some asshole named Anderson came up with a solution seeking a problem and sold it to a bunch of people who simply didn't think about it first. It was something new and shiny.

KA9MOT
04-05-2012, 12:54 AM
The only half assed excuse I have heard was, "You can't hook your radio up backwards". I know most of us have done that, but I learned to double check after my first time. There never has been a second time. And there are better choices for polarity protection out there at the parts house.

N8YX
04-05-2012, 06:55 AM
I have two Rigrunners in the shack. Each of these is used to connect station peripherals and a number of receivers, low-power transceivers and the like to DC power via Powerpole-equipped cabling. The big draw in my case was ease of reconfiguration: It's fairly simple to unplug and re-plug each cable in the tight spaces which comprise the shelving areas. Not the simplest of tasks for those who have larger hands.

All of my high-amperage 12v gear (IC-751/745, etc) has its own dedicated power supply. These also provide power to the slaved receiver and auto-tuner at each position.

KC2UGV
04-05-2012, 07:04 AM
I hate them. They suck and it was a stupid idea. Screw down binding posts are the way to go.
If you simply MUST be so ANAL that you have to have something too simple for even the most stupid among us, what's wrong with banana plugs?
BTW, I've read elsewhere where people use APP in mobile applications and the connectors would often come unplugged.
Some asshole named Anderson came up with a solution seeking a problem and sold it to a bunch of people who simply didn't think about it first. It was something new and shiny.

Plugs have their purpose and place: Use a plug if you might trip over your power cables. Better to replace a crack plug housing, than a radio drug onto the floor from a desk.

The only half assed excuse I have heard was, "You can't hook your radio up backwards". I know most of us have done that, but I learned to double check after my first time. There never has been a second time. And there are better choices for polarity protection out there at the parts house.

There's lots of connectors out there that can do the same thing, and don't require a special too. Molex (Not very good for high amperage) PC power connectors, cannon plugs, etc etc.

W1GUH
04-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Been using 'em for some time now & have grown to really like them. I've got a RigRunner and the convenience of having a 12 VDC "subpanel" is great.

But the main motivation for using power poles was to hook up a West Mountain PowerGate. I had to go that route because I needed absolutely the safest method of charging a storage battery in my apartment, and that was the best way to do that. Buying the PowerGate was a pleasure because back then, they were in Norwalk & I drove over there on lunch hour to pick up a PowerGate and a What? Meter. I was very impressed with their operation, and one of the guys even interrupted his lunch hour to make me a wiring harness. So....that was the day I bit the bullet and bought their crimper. (OUCH! But the price has come down by now.)

The only two bad things I've heard about them are:

1) They're genderless, so you CAN plug the output of a PS into the output of another PS. Very true. Gotta be careful about that.

2) The connectors come apart. As-is, that's true. But there are easy ways to fix it. You can tape 'em together or you can get little plastic thingies that'll lock the two connectors together. I've never had a problem with the two halves of a connector coming apart, but I imagine that tape will help that, too. There are also little plastic thingies for this, too.

I've found that putting a powerpole connector on a power cable to be very quick and easy. The crimper didn't take long to "get good on", and once that happens, stripping and crimping goes quick. The hardest part is getting it right -- always use an existing, working connector as a model.

KA9MOT
04-05-2012, 11:07 AM
So far, the only real reason one would use these is for the proprietary connection shack accessories. Wouldn't it be easier, less expensive and more convenient to buy or build something that uses a connector that is more convenient, easier to source locally (even on Sunday) in a pinch and easier to attach?

WØTKX
04-05-2012, 11:11 AM
I only use it because of the PowerGate unit. Though I may use them in my van soon.

W1GUH
04-05-2012, 11:18 AM
RigRunners are a great convenience. They're compact and will fit almost anywhere, and a a HELL of a lot more convenient than multiple cigar lighter lash-ups. If you've got multiple things you need to power in a car, this is definitely a way to go. Each socket is fused & there's an over/under voltage detection circuit built-in.

This is a great way to get around the wall-wart problem. All your 12V wall-warts can disappear & "plugging in" a 12v whatever is just like "plugging in" a 120VAC cord into the wall! And with a PowerGate and battery, it's all a UPS.

Steve mentioned availability. Forgot that factor; I'm so spoiled about this because there are always multiple power pole vendors at hamfests, so this hasn't been a factor for me. But, really, the only parts you need once you're set up are the connectors themselves & those are easy and cheap enough to have sufficient inventory on hand.

N8YX
04-05-2012, 11:18 AM
So far, the only real reason one would use these is for the proprietary connection shack accessories. Wouldn't it be easier, less expensive and more convenient to buy or build something that uses a connector that is more convenient, easier to source locally (even on Sunday) in a pinch and easier to attach?
DX Engineering is right up the road from me and keeps the connectors in stock.

KA9MOT
04-05-2012, 11:19 AM
I think I just figured it out. Looking at the West mountain Radio Site, and looking at the specifications for Rigrunner 8012 I see the following: "
Connectors are arranged according to the ARES/RACES standard ".

Anderson sold the Emcom crowd on their product and a "Standard". I'm betting there are better options at AutoZone.

KC2UGV
04-05-2012, 11:19 AM
RigRunners are a great convenience. They're compact and will fit almost anywhere, and a a HELL of a lot more convenient that multiple cigar lighter lash-ups. If you've got multiple things you need to power in a car, this is definitely a way to go. Each socket is fused & there's an over/under voltage detection circuit built-in.

Steve mentioned availability. Forgot that factor; I'm so spoiled about this because there are always multiple power pole vendors at hamfests, so this hasn't been a factor for me. But, really, the only parts you need once you're set up are the connectors themselves & those are easy and cheap to have enough inventory on hand.

So, for you, it's nothing technically superior, just convience?

For example, you could design a molex connector panel. Same thing as the RigRunner. Density on par. But, availability for Powerpoles is better for you.

Am I correct in my determination here?

W1GUH
04-05-2012, 11:29 AM
So, for you, it's nothing technically superior, just convience?

For example, you could design a molex connector panel. Same thing as the RigRunner. Density on par. But, availability for Powerpoles is better for you.

Am I correct in my determination here?

I guess. The sizes are "about" equivalent. But ya gotta build it. And deal with Molex. Molex works, but for me, the powerpoles are a LOT easier to use. I've had problems with Molex. Either the pin wouldn't push in far enough to catch, or if it DID, it didn't catch and I had to play with the thingies that keep it in the hole. And, if you want to remove the pin from the housing, you need some special tube to push those thingies in. Powerpoles can be problematic in getting thier connectors to catch, too, but once it does catch it's caught very well. And removing the connector from the housing only invlovles a skinny whatever to stick up there.

But....Molex has been around forever and is familiar. Powerpoles are New! And Improved! But the're different and foriegn and require re-tooling and re-thinking, PLUS they have the disadvantage of having been adopted as a standard. So...they're not for everyone....obviously, lots of varying mileage here.

KC2UGV
04-05-2012, 11:37 AM
I guess. The sizes are "about" equivalent. But ya gotta build it. And deal with Molex. Molex works, but for me, the powerpoles are a LOT easier to use. I've had problems with Molex. Either the pin wouldn't push in far enough to catch, or if it DID, it didn't catch and I had to play with the thingies that keep it in the hole. And, if you want to remove the pin from the housing, you need some special tube to push those thingies in. Powerpoles can be problematic in getting thier connectors to catch, too, but once it does catch it's caught very well. And removing the connector from the housing only invlovles a skinny whatever to stick up there.

Ok, so there are some technical advantages (FWIW, my only experience with powerpoles was cutting them off of my 840).

But....Molex has been around forever and is familiar. Powerpoles are New! And Improved! But the're different and foriegn and require re-tooling and re-thinking, PLUS they have the disadvantage of having been adopted as a standard. So...they're not for everyone....obviously, lots of varying mileage here.

How are they improved, other than the pin catch? New, yes, no argument. And, the only standard I am aware of is with ARES.

WØTKX
04-05-2012, 12:09 PM
As an avid Ten Tec enthusiast, Molex connectors kind of suck. Especially if you are pulling some amperage.

I've had to repair a few. The Anderson units are better, at a bit of a premium price.

KG4CGC
04-05-2012, 12:36 PM
I'd just assume put binding posts on everything or banana plugs for those of you that insist. BTW, a good binding post can take a banana plug, all the way.

NQ6U
04-05-2012, 01:02 PM
a good binding post can take a banana plug, all the way.

I love it when you talk dirty like that.

KG4CGC
04-05-2012, 01:10 PM
"Power Pole" is a made up name for an inadequate device.

K7SGJ
04-05-2012, 01:55 PM

Soooooooooooooo that's what ya call it, eh?

WØTKX
04-05-2012, 01:59 PM
It may not be long, but it sure is thin...

K7SGJ
04-05-2012, 02:01 PM
It may not be long, but it sure is thin...

That's stretching it.

K7SGJ
04-05-2012, 02:16 PM
After thinking about Steve's question, I have no idea why it has become so widespread in ham use. I can only tell you why I like them. I have used them for quite some time, and I like the fact that I can have all my 12 volt stuff ready to go when I need to hook them, especially on the test bench. I use to use the auto style rubber connector with the male and female on it. Although it did make for quick connection to a PS, It wasn't always convenient when you wanted to break the line to insert a piece of test equipment, or something else, in one or both power leads. I just find they are really handy on the service bench, and got into the habit of using them on the rigs as well. Standardization, I guess. One thing I don't understand about them is why there are three different current rated units. Seems if they just made the higher current one, the production costs could be lowered some.

KG4CGC
04-05-2012, 02:24 PM
And yes, I have tried them out in the past. Binding posts and banana plugs FTW bit I guess that doesn't sound Power Penis enough for some hams. lulz

N8YX
04-05-2012, 04:52 PM
It's adequate for currents of 5A or less. Anything more...probably not.

KC2UGV
04-05-2012, 05:30 PM

That's it? I thought they were good up to like 20A?

Then there's nothing making these better than molex connectors.

N8YX
04-05-2012, 05:46 PM
That's it? I thought they were good up to like 20A?

Then there's nothing making these better than molex connectors.
The large contact version is if you gang them. Split the power cord from your rig into two wyes and double them up. Molex connectors will heat their housings up if the pins don't make solid enough contact and as the metal heats it loses its temper...and its elasticity. This exacerbates the problem. Powerpoles are supposed to prevent this by virtue of their construction but I always use two per leg for a 100w-class rig.

KC2UGV
04-05-2012, 06:05 PM
The large contact version is if you gang them. Split the power cord from your rig into two wyes and double them up. Molex connectors will heat their housings up if the pins don't make solid enough contact and as the metal heats it loses its temper...and its elasticity. This exacerbates the problem. Powerpoles are supposed to prevent this by virtue of their construction but I always use two per leg for a 100w-class rig.

So, you can do the same thing with Molex connectors. Gang them...

K7SGJ
04-05-2012, 06:47 PM

Nah, they make them up to near 200 Amp. The ones I use are rated at 45 amp. They have way more surface contact area than a Molex. Although the plastic parts of the Powerpole connectors are the same size, the thickness of the conductor gets thicker as the current rating goes up. A 45 Amp powerpole on a powersupply will mate just fine with a 15 amp connector on a piece of equipment.

W1GUH
04-05-2012, 08:50 PM
I'd just assume put binding posts on everything or banana plugs for those of you that insist. BTW, a good binding post can take a banana plug, all the way.

It's better than that. If there are two receptacles, double banana plugs do a magnificent job!

NQ6U
04-05-2012, 10:01 PM
I use Anderson's lesser-known product, the Power Czech.

KG4CGC
04-05-2012, 10:31 PM
It's better than that. If there are two receptacles, double banana plugs do a magnificent job!
I use the stackable ones.

KG4CGC
04-05-2012, 10:32 PM
I use Anderson's lesser-known product, the Power Czech.

The ''Yugo'' of the connector world.

KA9MOT
04-05-2012, 11:07 PM
My preference when I need a high current connection is a nut and a bolt like Astron uses on their power supplies. Not quick and easy, and if your brain dead you can short them, but they wont burn up and leave you hanging. All of your battery connections are nut and bolt (or wingnut). Another good option are those blocks with the set screw in them to cinch down on your connection. I see these on allot of your high amperage power supplies. Similar to these which are rated from 60A to 90A : http://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/eurostyle-39910-and-39920-series/3098

There are allot more and better options. Like the Dephi Packard Weather Pack (found on your GM car or Truck) for lower current stuff. Plus you can find them at your local auto parts house (Not every town has an HRO) :

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/waytek/catalog224/#/30

W5GA
04-05-2012, 11:51 PM
I think their big selling point is that if the connector is properly installed, you will always get a good connection when you plug one in, unlike with Molex connectors which were sort of the defacto standard prior to PowerPoles. I think they come apart easier, too.

WØTKX
04-06-2012, 06:31 AM
^^^ This.

N8YX
04-06-2012, 06:52 AM
I think their big selling point is that if the connector is properly installed, you will always get a good connection when you plug one in, unlike with Molex connectors which were sort of the defacto standard prior to PowerPoles. I think they come apart easier, too.
This, and for a given current handling capacity the shells are a good bit smaller than their Molex equivalents. More easily stacked as well.

The above being said, I don't like to use either for more than 5-10 A loads. At that point, banana plugs or binding posts...Cinch-Jones connectors are far better.

W1GUH
04-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Such diverse opinions about something so small and simple as a connector. Breathtaking!

K7SGJ
04-06-2012, 09:54 AM
That's why they make Fords and Yugos.

Oh, wait a minute..............never mind.

WØTKX
04-06-2012, 11:03 AM
It's a whacker conspiracy!

K7SGJ
04-06-2012, 11:06 AM
There's another good reason powerpoles are so popular. It makes it easy to move the power supply from charging the different handhelds to charging the urban assualt whacke-mobile.

kf4wxd
04-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Many UPSs and electric industrial vehicle charging stations use the large (very large) Power Poles. They provide a positive, low resistance connection. I sound like I'm writing ad copy but I like them and use them everywhere except on rigs that shouldn't be changed out. I adapt as soon as possible then. I have an number of accessories, like a Weston current bridge, with APPs on it so I can put it inline if I want to check on current draw. They are on all my battery chargers and power supplies. One day, I'll put the big ones on the cars and jumper cables.

You don't need a proprietary crimper. My "universal" crimper-stripper-cutter works just fine.

Russ

wm3o
04-25-2012, 11:03 AM
as Russ has stated they are common in electric forklifts, hand trucks, and other industrial battery applications. the N-Trak model railroad world is moving to them for a few reasons - self cleaning, lower resistance, and they have a very solid connection. i was using them long before i started in ham radio in R/C cars and model railroad wiring.

WØTKX
04-25-2012, 11:36 AM
They have funny colors for funny voltages too.

I'm becoming a Powerpole Snob as I keep adding things to the Previa. :mrgreen:

KG4NEL
04-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Yeah, I don't trust those negative voltages...

They're up to something :-D

WØTKX
04-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Aaaayyy Baaaluuuu connector? What the French Toast?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wNyHa1hc8AQ/TvdNfxn3TmI/AAAAAAAACtI/MbOkVzfuPPM/s1600/toast-1.JPG

wa6mhz
04-25-2012, 01:56 PM
I have started to use them, but ONLY on my portable equipment, where I will frequently connect and disconnect them. For my Radio station, I use RING connectors to connect to the screw studs on the back of my Astron 35A power supplies. I also have a cheap MFJ THINGY with binding posts to connect up light duty 12V needs (like lights for Meters, tuners, etc.)

But Power Poles have their use for the portable crowd and I bought 10 more pairs at Visalia. I equipped my Gel Cels with them and my portable power supply. That makes it easy to recharge the gel cells, just plug them in. I need to make a breakout panel so I can use several at once. I was SHOCKED at what they get for a commercially made one!!! (almost $60!!!) And that was for the CHEAPEST one!

So Power Poles DO have their uses, but just not for continous duty service.

W3WN
04-25-2012, 03:22 PM
After thinking about Steve's question, I have no idea why it has become so widespread in ham use. < snip >I know a few guys who really like them. In most cases, they have a mix of equipment (ICOM, Kenwood, Yaesu, Alinco, Ten-Tec) and they use them in situations where they want to switch a power source (power supply, battery,etc.) between two rigs quickly. Since few radios share the same power connectors...

KC2UGV
04-25-2012, 03:52 PM
as Russ has stated they are common in electric forklifts, hand trucks, and other industrial battery applications. the N-Trak model railroad world is moving to them for a few reasons - self cleaning, lower resistance, and they have a very solid connection. i was using them long before i started in ham radio in R/C cars and model railroad wiring.

So, that's what those connectors I see on RC car batteries are...

n2ize
04-25-2012, 11:41 PM
I don't use any kind of power connector. I just twist the bare ends of the wires together

WØTKX
04-26-2012, 07:05 AM
Don't forget to lick the twisted bare wires during power up. Just for good luck.

NQ6U
04-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Don't forget to lick the twisted bare wires during power up. Just for good luck.

That only works for the plate connection on your amplifier.

N8YX
04-26-2012, 09:16 AM
That only works for the plate connection on your amplifier.
Once. ;)

K7SGJ
04-26-2012, 09:34 AM
While energized.

WØTKX
04-26-2012, 09:42 AM
http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss222/JoeFender_photos/batterytongue.gif

W1GUH
04-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Yep, Rigrunners cost a lot. But they're very well made, compact, and are a super convenient place for 12v connections. The one I've got has over/under voltage indication & each set of connectors is fused and there's a led for each fuse to indicate it's blown.

I have started to use them, but ONLY on my portable equipment, where I will frequently connect and disconnect them. For my Radio station, I use RING connectors to connect to the screw studs on the back of my Astron 35A power supplies. I also have a cheap MFJ THINGY with binding posts to connect up light duty 12V needs (like lights for Meters, tuners, etc.)

But Power Poles have their use for the portable crowd and I bought 10 more pairs at Visalia. I equipped my Gel Cels with them and my portable power supply. That makes it easy to recharge the gel cells, just plug them in. I need to make a breakout panel so I can use several at once. I was SHOCKED at what they get for a commercially made one!!! (almost $60!!!) And that was for the CHEAPEST one!

So Power Poles DO have their uses, but just not for continous duty service.

wa6mhz
04-26-2012, 10:22 AM
That's just what I want, but I can homebrew that up once I get the circuit. I checked the West Mountain site and they have the manual but NO schematic.