PDA

View Full Version : Audio stuff and how to connect it......

KC2IFR
04-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Just finished listening to the "audio experts" on 3875 trying to explain how to connect various audio equipment. What a bunch of idiots......
Anyway......here is a site that these fools should visit..........
http://www.rane.com/library.html

I think even those "experts" could understand this stuff......:shhh:

K7SGJ
04-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Don't bet the rent money on it. It's kinda like Grandma used to say, "If you can't impress them with your knowledge, dazzle them with your bullshit". Seems to be appropriate, eh?

KC2IFR
04-04-2012, 06:54 PM
"If you can't impress them with your knowledge, dazzle them with your bullshit". Seems to be appropriate, eh?

How freeken true.........there is always a LOT of bullshit on 3875....:clap:

kf0rt
04-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Pebbles, only $39 buckaroos:

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

Morons for pennies.

K7SGJ
04-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Fred and Wilma would be so disappointed.

WØTKX
04-04-2012, 07:18 PM
I've referred many to a certain .PDF at that very site. :yes: http://www.rane.com/pdf/compgrou.pdf

KC2IFR
04-04-2012, 07:25 PM
I've referred many to a certain .PDF at that very site. :yes: http://www.rane.com/pdf/compgrou.pdf
A man that knows his shit...........nice to see......

WØTKX
04-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Hee hee. Just tell 'em to find the ground loop in the corner. ;)

I just got a cool new project. Upgrading the audio at my employer's board room. We're keeping the good stuff; Crown amp, DBX EQ, Crestron AV switcher/controller.

Adding revolabs high end wireless microphones and JBL ceiling speakers. Upgrading the Crestron to use an iPad as the controller touch screen, there is a really cool app for that.

K7SGJ
04-05-2012, 08:50 AM
I used a lot of the same stuff in the board room at the old job. The JBLs while expensive, are the only way to go; but to get the most out of them, use a good backbox. I used a bunch of Shure's "mic mouse" units on the tables, and they were great. Got rid of everyone trying to handle a desk mic and causing the limiter to go nuts, not to mention all the noise it created. Let me know what kind of luck you have with the wireless mics. All I had available were Shure and HME. They were okay, but the rcvrs were very suceptable to RF interference. To make matters worse, one of the radio antennas was directly over the boardroom. But my biggest problem was the room EQ. I'd get it optimized, and the bastids would rearrange the main table and the other furniture and not tell anyone. Then, the day of the board meeting, feedback city. Good luck with the project and have fun with it.

PA5COR
04-05-2012, 09:19 AM
After building some stuff myself i opted for the EQplus from W2IHY.
Worked very fine for the FT 847, and now on the FT 2000 D, which itself has a lot more settings to play with.
I don't like over processed over bassed sounds, might be nice for 5/9+40 signals, but we are communication hams.
Having a round table qso here where the signals are very good, the FT 2000 D is ar 0 - 4000 Hz in SSB and low/mid/high are set to give an nice well understandable sound, no basses overdone.

Doing the standard qso's the Ft 2000 D is set to 2 - 2800 Hz the lows attenuated a bit, high a bit processed.
No need for audio racks full of equipment adding all kind of problems giving an unnatural sound.

When my bookcase speaker tries to run away from the bench of the over processed extreme low modulation i immediately turn the VFO.
Every chain added into your audio processing adds noise and distortion.
The EQplus with the downwards expander on eliminates the background noise, has a very good compressor/limiter and effective separate high/low tone controls.
The effects processor is not used, no need for echo on the ham bands, how little it is.
The MD-1 microphone is boom mounted and i speak in that microphone from 2 inches away to make an as direct sound as possible without echo or any background noise.

I get unsolicited good reports of the audio on SSB/AM.
That is good enough for me.
No problem running 1 KW on every band in all modes as well.

WØTKX
04-05-2012, 09:21 AM
These wireless mics are supposed to be RF immune. No cell phone RFI noises, etc. ;)

The furniture is fairly "fixed". We already have three JBL ceiling speakers in the middle. The rest of the speakers are facing up (flush) on the boardroom table, with icky poo Atlas Sound speakers.

Those are going away. :clap:

KG4NEL
04-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Hee hee. Just tell 'em to find the ground loop in the corner. ;)

I just got a cool new project. Upgrading the audio at my employer's board room. We're keeping the good stuff; Crown amp, DBX EQ, Crestron AV switcher/controller.

Adding revolabs high end wireless microphones and JBL ceiling speakers. Upgrading the Crestron to use an iPad as the controller touch screen, there is a really cool app for that.

Revolabs is great until the batteries die within a year.

Your Crestron dealer must hate you for not going for a brand-new TPS-8X touchpanel and docking system :D

Commercial A/V was my prior gig...pretty interesting stuff. Watching movies, er, testing the big Panasonic plasmas (85" and 103") didn't get old. Didn't get a chance to see a 150" in person before I left, though.