PDA

View Full Version : Scariest path in the world....

KC2IFR
04-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Another video......real this time. Watch it full screen if u can.
Scared the shit out of me....:sick:
http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligencerreport/scariest_path.html

kf0rt
04-03-2012, 08:13 PM
They should do that one in Imax 3D.

KC2IFR
04-03-2012, 08:19 PM
They should do that one in Imax 3D.
That would be great.........I agree

W5GA
04-03-2012, 09:00 PM
Where's OSHA?

XE1/N5AL
04-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Where's OSHA?The inspector fell and never reported back!

VE7DCW
04-03-2012, 10:28 PM
It looks like they used to have proper hand and guard rails at one time,but seeing those rather large holes on those crumbling concrete walkways it gives rather good evidence they could give way at any moment stepping across it :shock: ........ it's unsafe and I would'nt hike it for that reason despite the fact that everyone seemed to be safety harnessed to that cable!

:ugh:

NQ6U
04-03-2012, 10:33 PM
I remember that path. I used to ride my unicycle along it.

KG4CGC
04-03-2012, 11:09 PM
I remember seeing cave paintings of you doing that on History Channel.

VE7DCW
04-03-2012, 11:15 PM

UT's hopefully were standing by....... :lol:

N7YA
04-04-2012, 03:22 AM
That freaked me out, i couldnt do it unless my life depended on it. And i think the entire hike would be very cool for Imax.

n2ize
04-04-2012, 03:48 AM
Understatement of the year... "That path could sure use a bit of maintenance."

That said I would love to hike that path. yeah, it's dangerous but living on the edge and taking dangerous risks is a large part of what makes living great !!

N7YA
04-04-2012, 04:25 AM
Its the dying part of that hike that i want to avoid.

n2ize
04-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Its the dying part of that hike that i want to avoid.

I don;t blame you. But it's the thrill of the risk that makes it fun. The whole idea that it's very dangerous and one wrong move or slip up can lead to death. It is the idea of challenging death, gambling with death that makes life fun.

suddenseer
04-04-2012, 11:56 AM
It does not appear to be wheelchair accessible. Hell Nawh!

KG4CGC
04-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Makes Machu Picchu look like an elementary school by comparison.

suddenseer
04-04-2012, 01:30 PM
LAZ needs to hike that trail with a vhf/uhf walkie talkie. plus a web cam.

KG4CGC
04-04-2012, 01:33 PM
LAZ needs to hike that trail with a vhf/uhf walkie talkie. plus a web cam.

And a Ustream link. They could make it into a huge commercial tourist attraction if they bored tunnels and elevator shafts leading up to balcony restaurants and shops. Kind of like Chimney Rock NC. You know, between Bat Cave and Lake Lure.

W1GUH
04-04-2012, 02:43 PM
I don;t blame you. But it's the thrill of the risk that makes it fun. The whole idea that it's very dangerous and one wrong move or slip up can lead to death. It is the idea of challenging death, gambling with death that makes life fun.

Funny you should talk like that just now. A couple of days ago I was watching a cable channel show about Alaska, and there was a segment about hiking on the glaciers solo on Denali. They were intervieiwing a solo glacier hiker and he was talking just like you are - from the comfort of your home. He sounded like he got off on the risk -- there's lots of ways to die on a glacier.

THEN...as he was hiking, he discovered a body up there. It was a hiker who had disappeared some years before, and the hiker who spotted it saw the boots of the deceased. That really turned his head around. He has sworn off solo glacier hiking for good. Said the immediacy of seeing what could have happend to that guy drove home the stupidity of taking unnecessary risks. There's better ways to get one's "risk" rocks off.

That path is one big accident waiting to happen.

W1GUH
04-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Re: The comments about Imax 3D. It could be "fairly" soon that 3D stereoscopic vision on a PC or TV goes mainstream. All the technology seems to be there. I've heard there's some problems still with active 3D glasses (the IR kind), but it seems the technical glitches will be improved rapidly. Of course the sticking point is public acceptance. Does the average person want to see 3D bad enough to put up with glasses? A bunch of us do - but we may be fringe & not that big an overall market.

As for source material, Sony already sells a High-Def 3d Camcorder. (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDR-TD10-Definition-Handycam-Camcorder/dp/B004H8FN6M/ref=br_lf_m_1000518741_1_5_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=photo&pf_rd_p=1293336222&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000518741&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0VK577K4YKT7SPNY2SGR)

And the nvidia 560M in this here laptop does a good job with what it has, and will turn non-3D games plus other software (like Google Earth) into very well done stereovision. Pity I can only see it through anaglyphic (red-cyan) images, and that really subdues the color. But the stereo imaging is very well done. The thought of seeing THAT through good active glasses has me closely watching the technology and waiting for a reasonable (IMHO) price anad quality point!

W1GUH
04-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Rudy don't need a trail - he'll be there selling tacos from his bell helicopter!

n2ize
04-04-2012, 03:24 PM
I would love to hike that path. Unfortunately I am not in shape for it and it is too far to travel right now. But it would be awesome for the scenery alone. Not to mention the thrill of the risk.

n2ize
04-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Re: The comments about Imax 3D. It could be "fairly" soon that 3D stereoscopic vision on a PC or TV goes mainstream. All the technology seems to be there. I've heard there's some problems still with active 3D glasses (the IR kind), but it seems the technical glitches will be improved rapidly. Of course the sticking point is public acceptance. Does the average person want to see 3D bad enough to put up with glasses? A bunch of us do - but we may be fringe & not that big an overall market.

Other than normal clear eyeglasses I generally find wearing any kind of glasses or goggles for too long very annoying. Sort of like going to a 1950's 3D movie and having to sit through the film wearing those goggles would annoy the heck out of me to the point where I'd pass on watching the movie altogether. I wouldn;t mind experimenting with the pseudo-3D for a brief period of time but I doubt I could deal with it for too long. Could be great for teaching / learning solid 3D geometry though.

Now, if they perfect true 3D, i.e. either holographic or screen-less projection where I don't have to wear goggles I could probably go for that.

n2ize
04-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Funny you should talk like that just now. A couple of days ago I was watching a cable channel show about Alaska, and there was a segment about hiking on the glaciers solo on Denali. They were intervieiwing a solo glacier hiker and he was talking just like you are - from the comfort of your home. He sounded like he got off on the risk -- there's lots of ways to die on a glacier.

This is more common than many people realize. Those who hike particularly trecherous areas, such as very high mountains, glaciers, or very remote wilderness areas occasionally find the bodies of hikers who were lost or injured, or the remnants of lost planes that went down and were never recovered, often with the skeletons of the dead still among the wreckage.

Case and point. There is a remote area I hiked in the Adirondacks way back in the early 1990's. About a year later I heard that the remains of a lost plane with the skeleton of it's occupant were found by a hiker. Apparently the plane took off from Quebec one evening back in the early 1980's. It disappeared from the radar somewhere over Vermont. Searches at the time all turned up negative. 10 years later this hiker just happens to find it partly suspended in the trees along a trail in a remote high peaks region of New York's Adirondacks.

THEN...as he was hiking, he discovered a body up there. It was a hiker who had disappeared some years before, and the hiker who spotted it saw the boots of the deceased. That really turned his head around. He has sworn off solo glacier hiking for good. Said the immediacy of seeing what could have happend to that guy drove home the stupidity of taking unnecessary risks. There's better ways to get one's "risk" rocks off.

All risks are "unnecessary". That's what makes them fun. You are pitting yourself against death, gambling with the Grim Reaper. It's like the utmost thrill a person can experience. Of course you take as many safety precautions, you don't go about it with the intention of throwing your life away. Suicide is not fun. You approach it with confidence, that you are not going to die and you take all possible precautions. But there is still a danger and a true risk and that is what makes it worth while.

That path is one big accident waiting to happen.

True. And if you are out of shape and/or you just go walk it like an ordinary sidewalk you will likely get killed. But if you take precautions and properly anchor yourself in trecherous parts you will more than likely survive. And, get to see some awesome kick ass scenery in the process.

W1GUH
04-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Other than normal clear eyeglasses I generally find wearing any kind of glasses or goggles for too long very annoying. Sort of like going to a 1950's 3D movie and having to sit through the film wearing those goggles would annoy the heck out of me to the point where I'd pass on watching the movie altogether. I wouldn;t mind experimenting with the pseudo-3D for a brief period of time but I doubt I could deal with it for too long. Could be great for teaching / learning solid 3D geometry though.

Now, if they perfect true 3D, i.e. either holographic or screen-less projection where I don't have to wear goggles I could probably go for that.

Gues you won't be buying a 3D TV.

W1GUH
04-04-2012, 04:11 PM
I would love to hike that path. Unfortunately I am not in shape for it and it is too far to travel right now. But it would be awesome for the scenery alone. Not to mention the thrill of the risk.

Easy to "talk the talk" when "walking the walk" is effectively impossible, eh?

n2ize
04-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Easy to "talk the talk" when "walking the walk" is effectively impossible, eh?

True, but if I were in good shape I honestly would do it. I would make sure I go with someone who is experienced with that path and I wouldn't take crazy insane risks or go on a suicide mission. And who knows, I ain't gonna put myself out of the loop yet. I may get to walk that path or something like it yet.

n2ize
04-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Gues you won't be buying a 3D TV.

I'd have to try it to know for sure.. But I doubt I would like wearing the goggles though.

N7YA
04-04-2012, 06:21 PM

I wont disagree at all! Ive hiked and camped on Alaskan glaciers and frozen rivers...wouldnt trade the experience for anything, just dont think i would do that cliffside hike anytime soon.

w0aew
04-04-2012, 10:47 PM
How about the dirt bike segment?

http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligencerreport/scariest_bike.html

KG4CGC
04-04-2012, 11:32 PM

http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligencerreport/scariest_bike.html
Tight trail.

W1GUH
04-05-2012, 09:06 PM
True, but if I were in good shape I honestly would do it. I would make sure I go with someone who is experienced with that path and I wouldn't take crazy insane risks or go on a suicide mission. And who knows, I ain't gonna put myself out of the loop yet. I may get to walk that path or something like it yet.

You'd do it right. With experienced technical climbers with adequate equipment. Minimize risk to the minimum, and, with the prep training, be used to the exposure and have unyielding trust in your companions' ability to do their job, and then an endeavor like that could be very awesome! Agree about THAT...I'd forgotten how good technical climbers can be.

suddenseer
04-05-2012, 09:52 PM

http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligencerreport/scariest_bike.htmlI don't think he gets it out of first gear, what a wuss!

n2ize
04-06-2012, 04:22 AM
I wont disagree at all! Ive hiked and camped on Alaskan glaciers and frozen rivers...wouldnt trade the experience for anything, just dont think i would do that cliffside hike anytime soon.

Perhaps the thing that makes this particular walk particularly scary is the fact that it runs along a man made structure that has deteriorated considerably. Kind of like walking through a building that has been abandoned and exposed to the elements for a few decades. The floor may look okay, it may hold but then again it may not and you may find yourself rapidly accelerating from the top floor to the ground floor or basement.

n2ize
04-06-2012, 04:31 AM
I don't think he gets it out of first gear, what a wuss!

Now I'd like to see him tackle it in winter with a snow machine.. :lol:

suddenseer
04-06-2012, 05:47 AM
Now I'd like to see him tackle it in winter with a snow machine.. :lol:My tongue is firmly planted in cheek. I would not walk that trail. I am the wuss. My family is connected to trials riding (Bultaco et . al) That trail with death just inches away is not familiar to me.