PDA

View Full Version : Destroyed in the Rain

n2ize
04-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Well. my Dad managed to trash a relatively new gas leaf blower. How you ask ? By storing it in the rain. You see, my dad doesn't believe in taking care of anything.

The problem. I can;t pull the recoil. It comes out an inch or two and then freezes. Anybody have any ideas as to what might be wrong ? Do I need a new recoil ?? Is the piston rusted in place ? It ran a couple of days ago although it was running mushy and weak (probably rain water in the carb) ? I told him I;ll fix it this one last time. Next time he wrecks it I will have nothing to do with it.

n2ize
04-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Whoops, sorry. I meant to post this in general chat. can a mod please move it. This is very very local politics not general politics.

K7SGJ
04-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Generally, when they do that, the recoil assembly gets trashed. Easiest way to tell is to take the recoil off and see how it works sans blower. Seems like every recoil start engine I ever had either jammed when pulled or the rope would break and I'd damn near throw a shoulder out of joint. Some of the newer ones have, beside the recoil, an optional electric starter. They have them in both 110v and 12 volt units.

n2ize
04-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Generally, when they do that, the recoil assembly gets trashed. Easiest way to tell is to take the recoil off and see how it works sans blower. Seems like every recoil start engine I ever had either jammed when pulled or the rope would break and I'd damn near throw a shoulder out of joint. Some of the newer ones have, beside the recoil, an optional electric starter. They have them in both 110v and 12 volt units.

Okay. So what you are saying it I'll have to take off the recoil and see if I can crank the engine. If the engine cranks without the recoil then it's most likely a bad recoil which will have to be replaced. If its the engine then...well... it's time to go back to the old fashioned rake and broom.

K7SGJ
04-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Actually, it might be easier to just try the recoil when it's off the engine. Sometimes the pull cord will cross over itself on a rewind and tangle causing very limited travel. This often happens when the engine kind of kicks while you're pulling the rope, and it snaps out of your hand and tries to rewind and gets a bunch of slack in it. The other thing I've seen a lot is the plastic reel that the pull cord rolls in to, gets a crack in the side of it and the rope gets jammed in the split and only allows 1/4 to 1/2 revolution of pull. I'm betting it's the recoil assembly and not a siezed engine.

ETA You might also just remove the spark plug to remove the compression making it easier to manually turn the engine if you want to try that. You can also make sure the piston is moving.

W5GA
04-03-2012, 07:29 PM
ETA You might also just remove the spark plug to remove the compression making it easier to manually turn the engine if you want to try that. You can also make sure the piston is moving.
Plus a bunch. Probably water in the cylinder.

n2ize
04-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks on the spark plugand piston... Good idea. i'll give it a try tomorrow.

n2ize
04-04-2012, 04:04 AM
Actually, it might be easier to just try the recoil when it's off the engine. Sometimes the pull cord will cross over itself on a rewind and tangle causing very limited travel. This often happens when the engine kind of kicks while you're pulling the rope, and it snaps out of your hand and tries to rewind and gets a bunch of slack in it. The other thing I've seen a lot is the plastic reel that the pull cord rolls in to, gets a crack in the side of it and the rope gets jammed in the split and only allows 1/4 to 1/2 revolution of pull. I'm betting it's the recoil assembly and not a siezed engine.

Thank's. I'll start by removing the plug and then checking the recoil. The thing was left out in 2 rains. When I picked it up rainwater even poured out of the nozzle where the air blows from. It really doesn't even pay to fix it because it will probably just be stored out in the rain again anyhow.. But I'll try and fix it anyway. When it was last used it was running and was shut down normally. And when i tried to pull start it today it sounded like it sort of kicked or did something funky just as the rope seized. Who knows, maybe the cylinder is filled with water or something. These things are not really designed to be left out in the rain time and time again. But try explaining that around here. Also, last time it ran it was kind of sluggish. But that could be due to water in the carb, water in the gas, old gas, etc. I guess I won;t know till I have time to check it out.

Now, the next door neighbor has one also and it just keeps on working. Why ? Because he takes care of his tools. He has a nice storage cabinet. When he finishes using it he puts it in the storage bin and closes the top. The message ? If you pay money for tools and take care of them they will last and they will work. If you treat your tools like shit you end up having to spend time fixing them or throwing them away and buying new ones.

N7YA
04-04-2012, 05:04 AM
....and dont forget, keep it away from your dad.

K7SGJ
04-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Thank's. I'll start by removing the plug and then checking the recoil. The thing was left out in 2 rains. When I picked it up rainwater even poured out of the nozzle where the air blows from. It really doesn't even pay to fix it because it will probably just be stored out in the rain again anyhow.. But I'll try and fix it anyway. When it was last used it was running and was shut down normally. And when i tried to pull start it today it sounded like it sort of kicked or did something funky just as the rope seized. Who knows, maybe the cylinder is filled with water or something. These things are not really designed to be left out in the rain time and time again. But try explaining that around here. Also, last time it ran it was kind of sluggish. But that could be due to water in the carb, water in the gas, old gas, etc. I guess I won;t know till I have time to check it out.

Now, the next door neighbor has one also and it just keeps on working. Why ? Because he takes care of his tools. He has a nice storage cabinet. When he finishes using it he puts it in the storage bin and closes the top. The message ? If you pay money for tools and take care of them they will last and they will work. If you treat your tools like shit you end up having to spend time fixing them or throwing them away and buying new ones.

The fact that water poured out of the blower discharge tube makes me now think that the blower assembly or clutch is seized up, which will cause the engine to be very hard, if not impossible, to crank. I would be inclined to separate the blower assembly from the engine, and see if the engine will turn. I don't know if there is a centrifugal clutch between the blower and engine on your unit, but if there is, that's another prime suspect.

n2ize
04-04-2012, 10:37 AM
The fact that water poured out of the blower discharge tube makes me now think that the blower assembly or clutch is seized up, which will cause the engine to be very hard, if not impossible, to crank. I would be inclined to separate the blower assembly from the engine, and see if the engine will turn. I don't know if there is a centrifugal clutch between the blower and engine on your unit, but if there is, that's another prime suspect.

Thanks for mentioning that. I'm not sure if there is a clutch but I'll find out once I start ripping into it to find the problem. That could very well be it. Perhaps somethings rusted in place. I appreciate the help and I'll let you know what I find out. I just get a bit angry because this whole repair job could have been avoided had the machine been properly taken care of. This has happened before with other things. :irked:

KG4CGC
04-04-2012, 11:09 AM
I think the centrifugal clutch being there would depend on whether or not it was a leaf blower only or if it was detachable. As to be able to change it over to a weed whacker, pole saw, etc.
Having not owned a leaf blower ONLY tool, I couldn't tell you. I guess you'll know once you get it apart.
Please keep us updated.

n2ize
04-04-2012, 12:31 PM
I think the centrifugal clutch being there would depend on whether or not it was a leaf blower only or if it was detachable. As to be able to change it over to a weed whacker, pole saw, etc.
Having not owned a leaf blower ONLY tool, I couldn't tell you. I guess you'll know once you get it apart.
Please keep us updated.

This is just a leaf blower. It does have a vacuum attachment but that is just a hose that connects to the air intake.. I'll let you know what I find. I am suspecting a seized clutch or blower mechanism since water did pour from the nozzle when I tipped it over This is a good lesson in why it pays to take care of tools and why tools should not be left out in the rain.

KG4CGC
04-04-2012, 01:04 PM
This is just a leaf blower. It does have a vacuum attachment but that is just a hose that connects to the air intake.. I'll let you know what I find. I am suspecting a seized clutch or blower mechanism since water did pour from the nozzle when I tipped it over This is a good lesson in why it pays to take care of tools and why tools should not be left out in the rain.OK. If this is the case then I believe the fan is connected directly to the drive shaft. I could be wrong. There could be a small pair of gears to change the ratios.
Just work it by hand little by little.

KG4CGC
04-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Better yet, give us the model number(s) and brand. I bet I could find a diagram or something online. That's how I got my scooter ejumakation.

n2ize
04-04-2012, 02:21 PM
OK. If this is the case then I believe the fan is connected directly to the drive shaft. I could be wrong. There could be a small pair of gears to change the ratios.
Just work it by hand little by little.

It's a Ryobi hand held blower. Probably has like a 20-30 cc motor on in. My Dad said that last time he ran it he shut it down normally so it wasn't like it seized and shut itself off. The engine itself is probably okay. Whatever happened is a result of getting wet, probably the mechanism or the recoil. I'm going to take a look at it later today or some time tomorrow.

n2ize
04-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Better yet, give us the model number(s) and brand. I bet I could find a diagram or something online. That's how I got my scooter ejumakation.

Will do. And speaking about motor scooters that's another thing that needs attention. My old Peugeot moped is sitting somewhere in my dad's garage literally buried under a ton of lumber. Even worst I can;t get near it and there is gas in the tank that's been in there for years and probably turned to varnish by now. Fortunately the petcock is set to off so whatever gas it left in the tank can't make it to the carbeurator. When I finally dig it out of it's burial ground in the garage I am going to have to flush the tank and run some varnish dissolver through the motor. It used to be fun taking rides through the local neighborhood at night. I didn't have any plates on it so I kept it off the main roads. The cops never bothered me when they saw me even though I didn't have any plates on the thing. Only time aa cop said anything was when they saw me riding without a helmet. They are really strict on helmets around here. Anything with 2 wheels and a motor they want to see you wearing a helmet.

K7SGJ
04-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Add another wheel.

n2ize
04-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Add another wheel.

:-D:lol:

NA4BH
04-04-2012, 04:47 PM
You should always wear a helmet, danger around every curve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8ZDV3fvaXM

K7SGJ
04-04-2012, 04:50 PM
You should always wear a helmet, danger around every curve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8ZDV3fvaXM

Thanks, buddy. I'd forgotten all about that little porker. Ya bastid.

n2ize
04-17-2012, 09:00 AM
I got the leaf blower working again. I took off the cover and cranked the fan and got it to free up and turn normally. Then I pulled the starter cord and it cranked the motor as it should. I got it to start and run. Only problem now is that at full throttle the engine runs a bit slow and mushy. I think it might be the gas. The gas is old. i'll have to mix some fresh gas and see what happens.

Now I have to take a look at the weed trimmer. It runs but it runs erratically and then conks out. I think it is a fuel line issue. One of the fuel lines may have a small tear of hole because I noticed that when I primed it there were a lot of bubbles in the gas line. It too could use some fresh gas.