PDA

View Full Version : Senators made the post season!

N7YA
04-02-2012, 08:06 AM
For a team everyone was counting on to be last in the NHL, they are pretty good under Paul Maclean. Lots of depth in the minors, each line has solid guys on it, lots of grit and considered one of the toughest teams in hockey...i still say they will be blown out in the first round. Especially if they have to play Boston. But im still proud of the boys in the capital city.

Not that we have any hockey fans on this forum, i just got excited to see a sports section here.

K7SGJ
04-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Damn, I thought you meant congress. On second thought, it's too bad it's not their post season, too.

VE7DCW
04-03-2012, 12:48 AM
It was cool to see that the Ottawa Senators made it to the playoffs..... My team (Vancouver Canucks) might make first place overall for the grab for the Presidents cup......and then the run in the playoffs.... I'm hoping a repeat of last years playoff choke won't materialize and we we'll have a Stanley Cup champion (I hope Daniel Sedin will be healthy to play) ......and here's hoping Boston does the choking this year!!!! :yes:

N7YA
04-03-2012, 02:12 AM
Damn, I thought you meant congress. On second thought, it's too bad it's not their post season, too.

All those sons of bitches need to be sent to the minors or dealt to the KHL in Moscow.

N7YA
04-03-2012, 02:18 AM
It was cool to see that the Ottawa Senators made it to the playoffs..... My team (Vancouver Canucks) might make first place overall for the grab for the Presidents cup......and then the run in the playoffs.... I'm hoping a repeat of last years playoff choke won't materialize and we we'll have a Stanley Cup champion (I hope Daniel Sedin will be healthy to play) ......and here's hoping Boston does the choking this year!!!! :yes:

You have a great team, as always. I grew up a Bruins fan since my whole family comes from that part of the world, but i will obviously pull for the red and black. Quality captain, quality guy to replace him next year if he decides to hang 'em up, and one of the most exciting young blueliners in the game right now in Erik Karlsson. I just hope they can make it out of the first two rounds, thats where we always choke and die.

Im quite sure the Nucks will go deep into the postseason. If they are the only Canadian team left in the playoffs, ill pull for them by default. :)

....of course, ill always root for whoever is playing the Habs.

WØTKX
04-07-2012, 09:05 AM
I thought you were stuck in a time warp...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hpyQJLcS2AQ/Tz2ueVc0lPI/AAAAAAAAEn8/MKYj2LhCDq8/s1600/Baseball+Spring+Training.jpg

W1GUH
04-07-2012, 10:56 AM
For a team everyone was counting on to be last in the NHL, they are pretty good under Paul Maclean. Lots of depth in the minors, each line has solid guys on it, lots of grit and considered one of the toughest teams in hockey...i still say they will be blown out in the first round. Especially if they have to play Boston. But im still proud of the boys in the capital city.

Not that we have any hockey fans on this forum, i just got excited to see a sports section here.

I'm convinced that one has to have grown up on skates to really like hockey. It's saddening how often I hear, as the TV's being changed, "Anything but hockey." And during the NBA strike I was thinking that's great -- more hockey on TV in bars. Nope -- sometimes hockey was actually WORSE liked than no TV. Cheesh!

And the Senators? Had flashes of Harmon Killebrew, Aurelio Rodriguez, Eddie Brinkman, Frank Howard, DC Stadium. Will always be a bb OF. But congrats on the team. May they meet the Red Wings in this post season.

N7YA
04-07-2012, 06:58 PM
I have no idea who those people are. :lol:

Im guessing by the picture that it is a now defunct baseball team. The only other one is the Harrisburg Senators BB minor league team, but ive never seen them play. Im surprised that, being in NYC, you arent inundated with Rangers mania, considering they are in the playoff race too...and quite possibly against my Sens in the first round (If so, then i offer you my early congrats, by the way). Then again, if you only frequent BB watering holes, you wouldnt be interested anyway. Its the prevalent attitude around here too, nobody cares, and we have a minor league team in their playoff run as well...its the desert, noone cares.

But up north, its a MUCH different story. I wouldnt suggest touching the TV in the bar during an NHL game. They are crazy up there....thats where were moving in a few years. :agree:

W1GUH
04-07-2012, 07:33 PM
I apologize - sounds like I left the wrong impression. I LOVE hockey & want to see every Red Wings game...but that's pretty impossible here. NY likes champs, to be sure, but it's not anywhere near what you'd call a hockey town. I've hear "Anything but Hockey" here than anywhere else. It's not like with the Yanks or Knickes (hah!) or especially the jints. Now THERE's hysteria! I grew up on skates, kinda. Back then it was....here's your skates, there's the pond, see ya later, Have fun! -- whether you really wanted or not. I loved it, at least after I could stay upright!

And the names I listed were from the late 60's, early 70's Washington Senators. All but Killebrew wound up playing for the Tigers. I was disappointed when the Nationals wound up in the National League; I really miss hearing games from DC.

But I DID get to see the Red Wings win the cup that last time in a sports bar in Redondo Beach with a bunch of Red Wings fans. That was great....lots of shots were consumed.

N7YA
04-08-2012, 06:10 AM
I think massive alcohol consumption is required for a playoff run of any sport. The first hockey game i went to i was too young to remember, but it was an NHL game, the Bruins i think, and we had seats on the glass because my mom was on a date with a pitcher from the Red Sox of all people. His name was Bob Ferguson or something like that, i heard he went on to be an announcer...either way, apparently it was old time, late 60's hockey. A guy got checked into the glass right in front of us and his blood splattered all over it. Bob looked at my mom thinking the date was over, but she said she hoped they would clean off the glass so we can see the game. Gotta love it. (Cool lady, she was raised by an insane USMC DI and is a sharpshooter herself)

The first NHL game i remember seeing was the Washington Capitals at the old Civic Center when i was 11. I was a diehard Bruins fan, but since we lived in DC, i had to go with the Caps or fight everyone in school.

At the gig tonight, we pull double duty with a world class DJ out of NYC named Michael Toast. One plays while the other one breaks. He always has his NYC crew with him, a motley assortment of his old Irish/Italian true-blue Nyawkers...they hate hockey. But one of the guys said he will root for whatever team is my favorite because he hates the Rangers. Just so happens, with the Rangers and Senators both losing their last games of the season tonight, it dropped the Sens to 8th seed...and will now face the Rangers. You guys love your baseball, i guess getting out to MSG during a snowstorm sucks ass, that might be an issue why hockey is a backseater in NYC. While further north, its just what you do, i mean, its fucking hockey!

Sports in general in Vegas, noone can be bothered. We have a HUGE stadium, several arenas, a Big West school...its all about the NASCAR! Boogety!

W1GUH
04-08-2012, 07:04 AM
"Sports in general in Vegas, noone can be bothered. "

Except for those in the sports betting parlor!

Great story about your first hockey game! Loved it.

NQ6U
04-08-2012, 12:41 PM
My first hockey game was seeing the San Francisco Seals, then a minor league team, play in the Cow Palace. I was probably around ten years old and it was totally incomprehensible to me at first but after a few games I finally started to catch on. We'd go to a few games every season until they team moved across the bay to become the Oakland Seals and my dad stopped taking us to games. Now, I couldn't explain what icing is anymore.

W1GUH
04-08-2012, 12:59 PM
You and me both. Despite numerous explanations from serious hockey players, it's remained incomprehensible to me, especially the reason for it.

OK, OF time. My first hockey game was in the old Olympia in Detroit -- back in the day of B&W TV and the lighting was marginal, at best -- the crowd was always in the dark on the screen, and the cameras were those old-fashioned BIG TV cameras with the three lenses on a turret. My Dad was an avid fan & we always watched the Red Wings in the playoffs every year. And it seemed as if the Blackhawks were their nemesis then -- never could get past 'em!

Played a little intra-mural in college and had a LOT of fun. Was checked a few times & surprise! It doesn't hurt & is kinda fun. Then, we pledged two GREAT skaters - one from Montreal, and I didn't play anymore. But kept on skating. Still do on occasion. Love it! A few years ago I was down at the Wollman rink a bunch of times.

In '98 I did a winter weekend in Lake Placid (highly recommended if you like winter sports - you can do EVERYTHING there) & skated on the olympic oval. Holy Shit! It's a long, long way around that, and the natural ice (no rink refrigeration) seemed more slippery than the artificial ice at Wolmann. Coudn't really get a grip on the corners.

But the second time I rented a pair of speed skates and, with the good fortune of a friendly serious speed skater who gave me a couple tips about skating, had a great time practicing "properly" skating!

N7YA
04-23-2012, 06:19 PM
The Sens can possibly eliminate the Rangers tonight and move to the second round...or back to MSG for a game 7.

I must admit, i didnt think they would get this far, and they likely didnt either.

W2NAP
04-23-2012, 08:27 PM
hockey is great. really love the fights. sadly never any games on late at night. so i miss most of it

N7YA
04-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Replays! :)

Well, the Sens are down by 2 in the 3rd, so it might be going back to MSG for a game 7. Fights? Yep! One was going to happen because the last game, Chris Neil, the Sens bad boy, knocked the skates off a Rangers star player in a clean, open ice hit, drawing the ire of NY's coach who said it was dirty. Tonight, the same guy knew he was marked and he absolutely loves this stuff...keeps the eyes on him (not that its working well tonight). He took a run at a New York star, then New York's big guy took a run at the Sens star D-man (who doesnt fight, not his job)...and its on. It appears Neil won. If you drop the gloves with Neiler, its going to be rough! And Brandon Prust is a tough bastard!

W2NAP
04-23-2012, 08:38 PM
i never watch tv till after midnight. would be nice to catch some games on then. even if its some old ones.

N7YA
04-23-2012, 08:42 PM
You can see them online. Pretty much anything you like, theyre all there. :)

I gotta go to work...ill see how this game ends up later. :(

W2NAP
04-23-2012, 08:43 PM
ive seen them advertize them online... but wont never let me watch in real time. fucking silverlight shit.

N7YA
04-24-2012, 04:55 AM
Well, its headed back to the Garden, even if they lose, im happy they made it this far.

VE7DCW
04-24-2012, 07:42 PM
My team,the Vancouver Canucks went out in the first round of the playoffs!!! damn I'm so choked!!! ...... a great season and could'nt even play hockey post season. The changes are a'coming!!! :doh:

N7YA
04-25-2012, 03:10 AM
They were great all season long, too! Goes to show, the regular season means little when the playoffs start. The Sens are the last Canadian team left...making it to the second round is paramount at this point. Cant let the Habs be the last team to win the cup! I've been listening to them drone on about it for nearly 20 years. Its time to get another VE team in there. :yes: