PDA

View Full Version : Timonium report...

W1GUH
04-01-2012, 11:30 AM
As advertised, it was different this year; it was all inside. Was decently attended. There were enough poeple to make it decent, but not so many that it was a PITA to get to the sellers. On a subjective note, the hosting staff didn't seem all that friendly and seemed downright arrogant at times. Well, maybe because I've mostly been to small local festers lately where friendliness rules. But the sellers were great.

Some of the BA's I saw...

ONe guy had an SB-200 with unknown internal condition (I didn't ask, so don't really know) but looked very good. Asking $300.

Another guy had two SB-200's that had been re-capped & moded, asking $450 each.

An SX-96. Needed restoration, especially caps, but looked good. Asking $45.00. If I could hear HF at my QTH I probably would have taken that one home! I get the inmpressioin that '96's are sleepers. Same as the SX-100 without the T-notch filter & a LOT less money.

A Ranger that needs restoration, but again, looked good. Guy said "Good grid current, good plate current til the fuse blew." Sounds like a PS that needs re-capping. Asking $225. That one was tempting, too. Decent price for a restorable Ranger.

A restored to excellent condx SX-100. Asking $350.

A complete TR-7/RV-7 that was loaded. All filter slots filled, NB-7, AUX-7, the works. $650. If I didn't already have one I would have talked to him.

Saw a couple of Apaches, one was in a complete setup with the Mohawk, SB-10 and speaker. Forget the price but IIRC, it was about right.

Dunno if I'll go back to this one. The fester was OK, but I'm so sick and tired of the drive down I-95 & that's a real deterrent for me. Guess I could take Amtrak, stay downtown Baltimore & take the light rail out to Timonium.

Speaking of Baltimore's Light Rail line it's wonderful! I stayed in Timonium and took it downtown to meet a couple of friends for dinner & it was just fine. What a pleasure to sit back and relax rather than fighting the nasty traffic around that city. It's not reallly all that heavy, but the drivers who are out there are VERY aggressive and WILL climb up your tail-pipe if they want to go faster than you're going, even if you're travelling with traffic at 10 MPH over the limit!

N8YX
04-07-2012, 06:57 AM
A complete TR-7/RV-7 that was loaded. All filter slots filled, NB-7, AUX-7, the works. $650. If I didn't already have one I would have talked to him.

That was a decent deal. I need to get busy on the one I promised to an Island member and get it checked out.

KK4AMI
04-07-2012, 09:01 AM
I hate I-95 from one end to the other. Speeding anywhere in the Baltimore area is risky. I got a photographic speeding ticket in the mail from that state. :angry:

W1GUH
04-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the heads-up about that. Very good to know!

And I'm feeling a little bit like I wish I woulda grabbed that '96. Would have been a nice piece of sculpture! And I could take it for a ride to the country and hear it come alive. Ah, well...next one? I especially like that, from a distance, it looks like a '99 - stealthy!

ka4dpo
04-10-2012, 09:16 AM
I was going to go but getting there from Leesburg is a total PIA. It's eighty miles of non driving SOB's with their heads up their butts all the way. Still that SX-96 would have been worth it so maybe next year..

W1GUH
04-10-2012, 09:32 AM
I hear that about the driving. What I think of I-95 So. of the NJTP. Next year I might take Amtrak to Baltimore & take the light rail up to Timonium - that's a very nice and convenient connection. OTOH...how the heck would I get a BA home?

And, yea, I'm regretting not grabbing the '96. Well, one will probably show up later - maybe Deerfield!

W3WN
04-10-2012, 03:37 PM
I hear that about the driving. What I think of I-95 So. of the NJTP. Next year I might take Amtrak to Baltimore & take the light rail up to Timonium - that's a very nice and convenient connection. OTOH...how the heck would I get a BA home?

And, yea, I'm regretting not grabbing the '96. Well, one will probably show up later - maybe Deerfield!Don't remind me. This summer, we're spending a few days in Ocean City MD, then going up to visit my Mom for an afternoon before heading home. Which means picking up I-95 somewhere in DE. And we ought to stay on it, since she lives between NJ exits 2 & 3... but I usually bail out south of Philly and cross over toNJ via I-295 & swing around.

Then we have to take the Pa Turnkpike home. Ugh. My mother has no idea what we go through to see her... and then she never wants us to stay long, either, go figure.

W7XF
04-10-2012, 04:29 PM
<snip>Then we have to take the Pa Turnkpike home. Ugh.<snip>

With what the Pennsylvania Extortionists charges a big truck...OH THE PAIN!!!! Makes me wonder why toll freeways aren't illegal...

ab1ga
04-10-2012, 04:53 PM
With what the Pennsylvania Extortionists charges a big truck...OH THE PAIN!!!! Makes me wonder why toll freeways aren't illegal...

Toll freeways... life is full of the oxymoronic, if not the outright moronic.

W1GUH
04-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Don't remind me. This summer, we're spending a few days in Ocean City MD, then going up to visit my Mom for an afternoon before heading home. Which means picking up I-95 somewhere in DE. And we ought to stay on it, since she lives between NJ exits 2 & 3... but I usually bail out south of Philly and cross over toNJ via I-295 & swing around.

Then we have to take the Pa Turnkpike home. Ugh. My mother has no idea what we go through to see her... and then she never wants us to stay long, either, go figure.

"My mother has no idea what we go through to see her..."

Do they ever? But we love them just the same

kb2vxa
04-10-2012, 06:23 PM
"What a pleasure to sit back and relax rather than fighting the nasty traffic around that city."

It all begins and ends on Pandemonium Road, right around the corner from Magooby's Joke House not to be confused with the Cow Palace. Timonium, a man-made element first discovered on New Year's Eve 1970 in Porkrot, Massachusetts as a silvery residue at the bottom of the Slime O Tron or what was left of it after the explosion.

"Saw a couple of Apaches, one was in a complete setup with the Mohawk, SB-10 and speaker."

Ah yes, makes me wonder if my old beasts are still kicking around somewhere. Pretty decent for yay-emm but SSB exposed their driftitis and the SB-10 being a phasor was a bugger to keep adjusted.