PDA

View Full Version : The Difference Betweens Sons & Daughters

W3WN
03-31-2012, 10:22 PM
I thought I was prepared. I thought I was ready.

Having gone through the teenage years with a son (OK, step-son), facing the same challenge, 15 years later, with a teenage daughter... I knew some things would be different, but overall, nothing I couldn't handle.

Hoo Boy, was I wrong.

Let me set the scene:
Little Miss Field Day was performing in the High School play, Seussical (the Musical), Thursday evening through tonight. The Boss volunteered to help with the concessions, so I went Thursday, and just took a bunch of pictures. Same tonight. But Friday night, I was supposed to go see W3WH & help him with a software issue, so I was "off duty."

Well, Bill had something come up at the last minute, shortly after they left, so I ended up with a free evening. Considering the weather forecast for later in the evening, I decided to take advantage and... mow the lawn. I know, not exciting, but I figured I'd get it out of the way, and have more operating time on Sunday instead.

So: It's now about 20 after 6, I'm in the middle of the back yard covered in sweat and grass stains (I was also pulling weeks and dandelions and such), and my cell phone rings. It's Jessie. In a total panic.

"Dad! Dad! WHERE ARE YOU!!!!" (Found out later she'd called the house phone first, of course I didn't hear it out in the yard)

"Ah, in the backyard, mowing the grass. What's wrong?"

Her voice changes slightly... relieved that I'm home, but still in a panic... "Dad! I forgot something important! You have to bring it to me NOW!"

"What? What did you forget?"

"MY STRAPLESS BRA!!!!!!!!!!!!"

THIS she forgets?

"OK, no problem, where is it?"

"Top of my laundry basket!"

"No problem. Let me grab it, I'll be there in 5 minutes.: (fortunately, the school is a mile & a half away)

Go into her room, grab the bra on top, put it in a plastic bag, run to the car, drive to school. She's waiting on the sidewalk, roll down the window, hand her the bag, get a big "THANKS DAD!" and I'm on my way.

Of course it wasn't that easy... not a minute goes by, the phone rings again.

"DAD!!!"

"OK, what's wrong?"

"YOU BROUGHT THE WRONG BRA!! THIS IS MY SPORTS BRA!!"

"You said the one on top!"

"I meant the other one!"

10 minutes later, I'm back at school for the Great Bra Exchange. In the parking lot, in full view of parents & relatives who are coming in for the performance. Still covered in sweat and grass clippings and dirty shirt & jeans. Great. Just great.

Meanwhile, I've attracted the attention of a Mt. Lebanon cop, who tails me from the school to the borough line. And all the time, I'm thinking "don't pull me over, don't pull me over..." that and "how the hell am I going to explain why a teenager's bra is sitting on my front seat?"

... my son would sometimes forget something... baseball glove, pen, keys, money. But underwear? Not once did he ever call in a panic because he forgot his jock strap.

I didn't believe it before. Now I do. Sons are easier on the nerves than daughters.

... and she turns 16 in July and becomes eligible for a driver's license. And can't wait to drive. There goes the last "pepper" in my hair...

NA4BH
03-31-2012, 11:01 PM
LOL.

Look at the bright side, at least you didn't have to go buy feminine products.

W2NAP
04-01-2012, 12:31 AM
this made me laugh

XE1/N5AL
04-01-2012, 01:04 AM
A funny story!

Also on the bright side, daughters are the ones who keep the family unified after the kids are all grown (with kids of their own). Adult daughters plan family get-togethers and outings. Daughters call you regularly on the phone to stay in-touch. Daughters invite you to a home-cooked meal. So, in the big picture: maybe having to fetch bras is worth it! :)

KG4CGC
04-01-2012, 01:30 AM
Great story!
Now, what if your son was in glee club and he was the one calling ... because he needed his banana hammock.
Haah! Bet you didn't even know he had one.

kf0rt
04-01-2012, 05:53 AM
Wait till she Googles Suessical and hits a ham radio site. :lol:

W3WN
04-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Wait till she Googles Suessical and hits a ham radio site. :lol:Wait until the kid who played Horton does and sees his picture over here in a Happy Birthday thread...

W1GUH
04-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Great story! Guess you didn't get pulled over?

KC9ECI
04-01-2012, 12:02 PM
I've been down this road. I'll be going back down it again shortly. Daughter nr 2 will be 11 in October.

kf0rt
04-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Wait until the kid who played Horton does and sees his picture over here in a Happy Birthday thread...

Hope he doesn't run into Gretchen. The lad might be scarred for life!

KG4CGC
04-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Hope he doesn't run into Gretchen. The lad might be scarred for life!

Yeah. May be time to retire the old girl.

kf0rt
04-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Yeah. May be time to retire the old girl.

We'd need a replacement of some sort.

KG4CGC
04-01-2012, 02:32 PM
We'd need a replacement of some sort.

One without wart scars?

kf0rt
04-01-2012, 03:02 PM
One without wart scars?

Yes, please. :rofl:

KG4CGC
04-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Poor Ron. I know he never expected this!

W3WN
04-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Great story! Guess you didn't get pulled over?No. Thank goodness.

What you need to know... Allegheny County is very balkanized, once you get out of Pittsburgh itself. I live in Castle Shannon. Keystone Oaks High School is located in Mt. Lebanon... Mt. Lebanon is NOT part of the KO School District, so chew on THAT one for a minute. And to get to KOHS, one direction it's a straight shot into Mt. Lebanon, then a couple of blocks in Dormont (which IS in the KO SD), then back into Mt. Lebanon. The other way, Mt. Lebanon to Baldwin Borough (not in the district either) to Castle Shannon.

So yes, the cop tailed me, but before he could do anything, or I did anything to warrant being pulled over, I was out of his jurisdiction. * phew *

NA4BH
04-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Maybe the cop was looking for a little companionship.

Who knows

N2RJ
04-01-2012, 07:09 PM
LOL.

Look at the bright side, at least you didn't have to go buy feminine products.

I have to sometimes but it's easy since they're in the same aisle as the diapers... so if anyone asks, "NO NO I AM BUYING DIAPERS!!!"

W3WN
04-01-2012, 09:36 PM
I haven't told you guys the capper to the whole thing yet.

After last night's show, they had a "wrap" party for the cast.

Everyone got a "funny" award.

Jessie got voted... "Most Likely To Lose Her Top"

(Fortunately, she took it all in good fun. I understand that some of the other awards were much worse than that!)

W3WN
04-02-2012, 03:22 PM
In light of my post yesterday, I have to add this...

Jessie was given another Cast award today, courtesy of the graduating Seniors. They gave her an award for always putting everyone in a good mood, and "I was loved no matter how annoying I got."

That's my girl!

n2ize
04-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Maybe the cop was looking for a little companionship.

Who knows

These days cops will watch a car if they see the same car pass a given area more than once within a short time frame. It's is considered "suspicious activity".