PDA

View Full Version : What kind of digital interface do you use?

N2RJ
03-29-2012, 10:56 AM
I need to get a new one. My RigExpert bit the dust. Loud HUMMMM on the output. NOt the cable.

I've been looking at the TigerTronics SignaLink but it's audio only, no CAT. But the price is right. Anyone use one of these?

Not looking to use my PC's built in sound card. I want one that uses a USB cable. The reason is that I often use Skype or watch TV when working digimodes on the radio.

KC2UGV
03-29-2012, 11:06 AM
A home brewed one, connected to a USB sound card (Turtle Beach, $20 at Target).

I had a hum, but resolved it with a ferrite bead on the mic cable.

KJ3N
03-29-2012, 11:33 AM
I've been using the Navigator (http://www.navigator-interface.com/) for several years. Probably not in your price range.

KC9ECI
03-29-2012, 11:47 AM
SignalinkUSB here and a $3 CI-V cable off ebay. The Flex I just use virtual audio cables.

WØTKX
03-29-2012, 11:56 AM
I have two of the Rigblaster PnP units. CAT via Keyspan USB to serial.

But I mostly use VAC into the Flex as well.

K7SGJ
03-29-2012, 11:59 AM
I've had two of the Singalinks for some time now, and haven't had any problems. I use one for the QTH and the other is a traveler. The cables are easy to make, and the internal jumpers are a breeze to change, especially if you make up different ones using IC sockets. Other than homebrew units, I can't say how they stack up to others, but I like them. I've tried just about every program for digital ops and haven't experienced any problems there either.

NQ6U
03-29-2012, 12:02 PM
SignaLink USB here. No complaints at all and I've given it quite a workout over the last couple of years including at Field Day 2011. Over 120 QSOs in about eight hours operating time without a single glitch from the interface.

ki4itv
03-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Rigblaster Pnp...
Has worked flawlessly for years.

XE1/N5AL
03-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Another vote for SignalLink USB. Mine works great.

KC9ECI
03-29-2012, 02:56 PM
I had the older Signalink SL-1 prior to the USB version and the noise floor from the internal soundcard on the computer was a LOT higher than it is with the USB version. Volume adjustment with the USB version is also a snap with the pots on the front. Much better than trying to adjust via software sliders.

kf0rt
03-30-2012, 08:01 AM
I've been using the Navigator (http://www.navigator-interface.com/) for several years. Probably not in your price range.

Pretty cool, Jim.

I homebrewed something like that some years back with the intent of making it work with multiple rigs. It would switch the internal keyer, microphone and digital interface between up to 4 radios. K1EL keyer, even (at least I think it was a K1EL keyer -- don't see this model available now). Didn't get as far as USB though.

http://westton.com/misc/so-in2.jpg

N2RJ
04-01-2012, 02:40 PM
A home brewed one, connected to a USB sound card (Turtle Beach, $20 at Target).

I had a hum, but resolved it with a ferrite bead on the mic cable.

Yeah, I don't want to do that.

The hum is not from RF. I think some caps in the interface are fried, or maybe the chips itself.

N2RJ
04-01-2012, 02:41 PM
SignalinkUSB here and a $3 CI-V cable off ebay. The Flex I just use virtual audio cables.

I have a cheap CI-V cable that uses a PL2303 but it goes bonkers with RF. It's fine at 100w but starting at 500w and up it goes apeshit and even blue screens the computer. No amount of ferrite beads and grounding seems to help. The RigExpert behaves just fine, probably because it is encased in metal.

It's not typical "RF in the shack" either. When the beam is pointed away from the house it's fine, but unfortunately to beam SW the beam has to point to the house.

I might try encasing the cheap cable in a metal box and see if that helps.

N2RJ
04-01-2012, 02:47 PM

I don't mind that price actually. Looks interesting.

KC9ECI
04-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Never thought of that. Then again I don't often turn the power up past the 5 watt level.

I have a cheap CI-V cable that uses a PL2303 but it goes bonkers with RF. It's fine at 100w but starting at 500w and up it goes apeshit and even blue screens the computer. No amount of ferrite beads and grounding seems to help. The RigExpert behaves just fine, probably because it is encased in metal.

It's not typical "RF in the shack" either. When the beam is pointed away from the house it's fine, but unfortunately to beam SW the beam has to point to the house.

I might try encasing the cheap cable in a metal box and see if that helps.

W5GA
04-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Using the MicroHam Microkeyer here (out of production, see the II version on the website). Works great now that they have the FTDI driver problem figured out.

N8YX
04-02-2012, 04:51 AM
Signalink USB. DX Engineering is right up the road from me, so if I need one of these or parts for it I can readily get them.

koØm
04-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Homebrew sound card interface, dedicated soundcard, CI-V to Serial cord; vox keying.

HRD ver 4

VE7DCW
04-05-2012, 10:31 PM
I originally started out with a homebrewed digital interface..... I broke down and decided to pay a few bucks for a Rigblaster Pro from West Mountain Radio.It was probably one of the best things i've ever did! ....... those Rigblasters are quite the rigs ...... I just love mine :)

wa6mhz
04-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Excellent Homebrew job and nice neat wiring too! That looks to be quite a project!
I tried the Rigblaster route but had great amounts of RF Feedback when trying to go through the mic jack. SO I homebrewed up an interface using 2 600 Ohm audio tranformers (stolen from old computer modems!). In my latest unit, I also added the CI-V circuitry so my Icom IC-736 could also talk to Ham Radio Deluxe and such; along with keying the PTT.
It works great and I use it on MMTY and DIGIPAN. Also seems to work on JT-65 though I haven't quite figured that out yet.
The key seems to be keeping RF out of the unit. I put aluminum tape all around the inside of the box for shielding and plenty of Ferrite beads.

Pretty cool, Jim.

I homebrewed something like that some years back with the intent of making it work with multiple rigs. It would switch the internal keyer, microphone and digital interface between up to 4 radios. K1EL keyer, even (at least I think it was a K1EL keyer -- don't see this model available now). Didn't get as far as USB though.

http://westton.com/misc/so-in2.jpg

NQ6U
04-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Pat, how did you get HRD to key the PTT on your IC-736 through the CI-V? I have that radio (an oldie but a goodie) as well and was under the impression that it didn't support doing that. My SignaLink USB has a special cable that keys the mic through the accessory jack.

ki4itv
04-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Nice to see you, Pat.

K7SGJ
04-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Have a Commander, welcome aboard.

KB3LAZ
04-08-2012, 05:14 PM
I dont use one.

KA9MOT
04-08-2012, 11:49 PM
I have homebrewed all of mine, the next, slightly better than the one before it. My first interface utilized transformers that I made and I used VOX to key the rig. By buddy bought a SignaLink USB that he didn't like and he gave it to me. It was pretty slick. I liked it.

I have currently lost interest in the digital modes.......For me it got boring very quickly.

KC2UGV
04-09-2012, 06:48 AM
Excellent Homebrew job and nice neat wiring too! That looks to be quite a project!
I tried the Rigblaster route but had great amounts of RF Feedback when trying to go through the mic jack. SO I homebrewed up an interface using 2 600 Ohm audio tranformers (stolen from old computer modems!). In my latest unit, I also added the CI-V circuitry so my Icom IC-736 could also talk to Ham Radio Deluxe and such; along with keying the PTT.
It works great and I use it on MMTY and DIGIPAN. Also seems to work on JT-65 though I haven't quite figured that out yet.
The key seems to be keeping RF out of the unit. I put aluminum tape all around the inside of the box for shielding and plenty of Ferrite beads.

Come on, share the pic of yours now :)

kf0rt
04-09-2012, 09:50 AM

Thanks! I wish I'd documented it (did the whole thing "in my head"). One of these days I'll have to pull it apart and draw up a schematic. It did work pretty well though -- had it connected to a TS-570, IC-7000 and Drake 4C-Line all at the same time, with a slight mod to the Drake outputs to handle higher keying voltages.

N1BHH
05-12-2012, 08:23 PM
I am using a Buxcomm Rascal and it works great. It has a serial cable for keying in my case and if you need USB, the converter comes with it for free. It connects to your sound card and all you do is select the appropriate cable. It only took a little adjusting and I was up and running after getting rid of a ground loop, too.

I use mine on my IC-735 connected to the ACC 1 jack (the best way) on the back of the radio for PTT and a USB CI-V cable picked up off ebay from Kawamall.

If you already have installed USB drivers for other USB devices, don't worry, and don't load drivers unless the machine asks for them, for the USB cable.

I just started using HRD and DM780 and I'm having fun with it. Making a few contacts every day, learning my way through it, editing macros, etc.

Before I stuck with HRD I tried out about 4 or 5 other programs but went with HRD because I like colors on my screen instead of black and white and grey. Three of the ones I tried were so damn bland I uninstalled them before I even used them. You can play around with the buttons and background it's so flexible.

N8YX
05-13-2012, 08:55 AM
I recently picked up a Universal M7000v7 decoder - the only modes it won't handle are Olivia, PSK and JT65. It's being used in conjunction with Drake Theta 7000/9000 keyboards and DSP-599zx (run in RTTY 'regeneration' mode) for that old-school RTTY feel...until I rebuild the main shack PC.

KF5ER
04-12-2014, 06:02 PM
I use a microkeyer II. Steep learning curve at first, but after you get it going it works very good.
Uses USB not serial ports of which I have none.

N2CHX
04-12-2014, 06:12 PM
Homebrew, using a couple of old Western Electric audio transformers and 1/8" audio plugs. VOX for keying. Easy peasy.

N2CHX
04-12-2014, 06:12 PM
Wow. I just realized how old this thread is. lol

KJ3N
04-13-2014, 11:27 AM
I use a microkeyer II. Steep learning curve at first, but after you get it going it works very good.
Uses USB not serial ports of which I have none.

Wow. I just realized how old this thread is. lol

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100102171047/asdf/images/thumb/1/1c/Necro2.jpg/400px-Necro2.jpg

n0iu
04-14-2014, 05:54 AM
What is this "sound card interface" device to which you refer? I have a USB connection from my radio (IC-7410) to my computer that takes care of all of that.