PDA

View Full Version : Petition: Calling for removal of 14.296 thru 14.304 from ARRL CONTEST

KC9ECI
03-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Buddha preserve us all!

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?339946-Petition-Calling-for-removal-of-14-296-thru-14-304-from-ARRL-CONTEST

and the petition is at: http://arrl.os-services.com/

KC2UGV
03-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Buddha preserve us all!

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?339946-Petition-Calling-for-removal-of-14-296-thru-14-304-from-ARRL-CONTEST

and the petition is at: http://arrl.os-services.com/

I'm just wondering why they don't move the maritime net over to a WARC band,,,

WØTKX
03-28-2012, 07:57 PM
You made me post something there. It's all your fault! :neener:

N8YX
03-28-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm just wondering why they don't move the maritime net over to a WARC band,,,

60M. It's a win-win for everyone.

I have a feeling that net isn't going to like the backlash which is going to result from this.

W7XF
03-28-2012, 08:02 PM
As usual...QRZ trainwreck about to happen...

N8YX
03-28-2012, 08:04 PM
As usual...QRZ trainwreck about to happen...

"We have us a veritable gosh-damned clusterfuck in progress!"

WØTKX
03-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Didja like the Marvin I found? :lol:

N8YX
03-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Didja like the Marvin I found? :lol:

Needs moar Illudium Q36. ;)

W2NAP
03-28-2012, 08:41 PM
they can't be serious?

N8YX
03-28-2012, 08:52 PM
they can't be serious?

KC9ECI
03-28-2012, 09:20 PM
they can't be serious?

Lunatics often are.

KJ3N
03-28-2012, 09:22 PM

"I'm Rick James, bitch!"

KC9ECI
03-28-2012, 09:22 PM
And locked. That didn't take long.

WØTKX
03-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Wow. I get IB4TL points. Thanks for playing. :lol:

KJ3N
03-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Made it just under the wire. :lol:

KC9ECI
03-28-2012, 09:30 PM
I got you all beat. I don't think I'm a poster in any thread there that isn't locked.

N8YX
03-28-2012, 09:30 PM
And locked. That didn't take long.

If anyone wishes to invite the G7 and all the other tossers over here to continue that little diatribe, we promise they shan't be buckled ... :lol:

KA9MOT
03-28-2012, 09:32 PM
DAYYYUMM! Closed before I could add my words of whit!

That dude has posted exactly twice on "Da Zed". His only other post was in 2003. He needs to get with the program. Elsewhere I posted about a NCS that I thought was QRMing a DX station that was on 14.299. I think (not 100%) this was our NCS. I didn't write the call down, so I am going by my failing memory.

N8YX
03-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Elsewhere I posted about a NCS that I thought was QRMing a DX station that was on 14.299. I think (not 100%) this was our NCS. I didn't write the call down, so I am going by my failing memory.

For a little evening entertainment, go to Google Groups and search for 'N4PCK', one of the NCS of the 80s/90s.

KC9ECI
03-28-2012, 09:38 PM
DAYYYUMM! Closed before I could add my words of whit!

You can still go whit on his petition.

W3WN
03-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Didja like the Marvin I found? :lol:Oh yes!

KA9MOT
03-28-2012, 09:54 PM
For a little evening entertainment, go to Google Groups and search for 'N4PCK', one of the NCS of the 80s/90s.

Holy crap! That made my head hurt! Molesters, Thieves and outlaws...OH My!

http://nitepirate66.tripod.com/KV4FZ.htm

W3WN
03-28-2012, 09:54 PM
they can't be serious?Yes they can. Delusional people are like that.

W3WN
03-28-2012, 10:03 PM
If anyone wishes to invite the G7 and all the other tossers over here to continue that little diatribe, we promise they shan't be buckled ... :lol:G7KLJ will have a melt down faster than someone can say "Hello, I need a taco, delivered in a black helicopter with a pink Motorola APU". He won't show.

W2NAP
03-28-2012, 10:06 PM
wow..

ki4itv
03-28-2012, 10:17 PM
You guys just don't get it.
The whole idea of amateur radio in the 21st century is to support the Yacht-bots and their Maritime Immenseness.
Get with the fooking program already.
Geez...
:snooty:

KJ3N
03-28-2012, 10:30 PM
The MMSN can go fuck themselves for all I care. :roll:

ki4itv
03-28-2012, 10:46 PM
The MMSN can go fuck themselves for all I care. :roll:
They're so busy whackin' off on .300 that I'm pretty sure penetration hasn't occurred to them yet.

ki4itv
03-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Take it to the system!
(somebody had to say it_):yes:

PA5COR
03-29-2012, 03:17 AM
Don't worry about Steve G7KLJ, he's an old friend of us here on 160 meters, we have a chat almost daily in the group LOL
Though his arguments are clear, something some US people don't understand clearly.
160 meters has per country here restrictions on frequency/mode/power used because some countries still have coastal stations running there, in the Netherlands we can only use 1810 to 1880, 400 watts.
The UK can use 1810 to 2000 KHz but can only run power from 1840 - 1850 the rest s 35 watts PEP.
80 meter is 3.600 to 3.800 in the US you can go up to 4.000..... double the space, 7.000 to 7.200 here you guys have 7.000 to 7.300 an extra 50% space.

Then in the EU there is a lot more use of the bands, more hams running at any time.

Contesting on 160 means no way i can have a normal QSO, from 1810 to 1880 the band is chock full in SSB/CW or whatever mode is used in the contest CW over the whole bands or SSB over the whole bands.
Same for 80/40/20
Some people live geographically places where the WARC bands are dead most of the time, like for Steve and me.
Why do we have so many different bands? to make use of the propagation at any time to make worldwide contacts.
To limit people not wanting to participate in contests to WARC bands that are not open most of the time is discriminating.
Steve G7KLJ supposed change is what we talked about on 160 lots of time.

Divide the bands in 60 - 40% contest no contest will make it possible for non contesters to be able to use the band fit for the propagation at that time and geographic spot to still use the bands in the weekends when most people have time for the hobby.
One reason most contests are held in the weekends....

Personally I'm free any day in the week, except for some odd jobs, so it hits me less as someone with a job that is only free in the weekends.
And yes, he's right, the USA isn't the center of the world.
:mrgreen:

KJ3N
03-29-2012, 05:51 AM
Some people live geographically places where the WARC bands are dead most of the time, like for Steve and me.

Then it must be a latitude problem, as I assumed here (http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?339946-Petition-Calling-for-removal-of-14-296-thru-14-304-from-ARRL-CONTEST&p=2506845#post2506845). At nearly 40 degrees North latitude, the WARC bands are open reasonably frequently here.

ki4itv
03-29-2012, 06:19 AM
Bike races, marathons, festivals, contesters, inconveniences of every description...Man, all these people living their life in exciting ways sure cramp my boring lifestyle.
There ought to be a law.

KJ3N
03-29-2012, 06:57 AM
Some folks are persistent (http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?339992-interesting-readup-on-the-background-of-region-1-bandplan)... :roll:

PA5COR
03-29-2012, 07:56 AM
We Dutch have been told that we have a granite slate for our heads.
I mostly call it an atombombproof bunker ;)

W3WN
03-29-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm told (via Bob W5OV on the CQ Contest reflector) that the "petition" site only permits people in favor of the petition to say anything, and that the OP's email requires authentication & approval before accepting any messages from anyone not on his white list.

Strikes me as something a little less than a "fair and balanced" input. Or if you prefer, "don't bother me with facts, my mind is made up."

Well, the petition will sink to the bottom faster than the a piece of used whale dung, so I'm not too concerned.

WØTKX
03-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Well, the OP can get Glenn Baxter's call soon, and take over that opening in the world of A1 Operators. :lol:

ki4itv
03-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Hadn't thought of that...somebody is going to grab that 1x3 and not know what hit'em.
Instant target.

KJ3N
03-29-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm told (via Bob W5OV on the CQ Contest reflector) that the "petition" site only permits people in favor of the petition to say anything, and that the OP's email requires authentication & approval before accepting any messages from anyone not on his white list.

Strikes me as something a little less than a "fair and balanced" input. Or if you prefer, "don't bother me with facts, my mind is made up."

Fact #1: It wasn't an ARRL contest that caused his butt hurt.

Fact #2: The ARRL has no sway over other contest organizers.

Fact #3: The ARRL doesn't have final say (in fact, no say, but let's not bring that up) on frequency matters. That's the FCC, at least here in the U.S.

Fact #4: If any petition is to be filed that would actually have an effect, it has to be done with the FCC, or the IRAU.

Fact #5: There's not a snowball's chance in hell such a petition, mentioned in Fact #4, would see the light of day.... and these idiots know it.

:nuts:

Or, if you prefer...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_n71lIbSnKXc/SikXq7rnnhI/AAAAAAAABho/m3eBO3LXQ5Y/s400/Bugs_Bunny_Hare_Remover_Screwball.jpg

PA5COR
03-29-2012, 09:45 AM
53 degrees North, almost the same as G7KLJ who is just 250 miles from me at the other side of the pond.
MUF up to 23 MHz meaning at 21.222 is th only station i pick up from Europe ( SV3XU) and a VE3GN Stan 5.8 with QSB.
Afternoon( 13.00 to 18.00) there is a chance the bands are open, for the rest closed now.

At night we're limited to the lower bands, 160 up to 40 and if the contests are on, forget about it.
I'm not the type to get 1 KW on the air and disturb the contesters, i hoped to meet the same courtesy, but not n my lifetime.as it seems.

N2RJ
03-29-2012, 10:12 AM
These people don't get it, no matter how much you tell "authority" to tell people to stop, you are best served by getting out of the way.

It's like speeding. Billions of tickets issued, yet people still do it anyway. Don't like it, stay out of the left lane.

The WARC bands would be absolutely suited for this net to use.

KJ3N
03-29-2012, 10:23 AM
The WARC bands would be absolutely suited for this net to use.

I believe I pointed that out (http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?339946-Petition-Calling-for-removal-of-14-296-thru-14-304-from-ARRL-CONTEST&p=2506817#post2506817) already.

This is also from the same source and appears in both Regions band plans:

18160 kHz - Global Emergency Centre of Activity

What's the reason the net can't move there during contests? Why can't they move there permanently? It would solve your problem quite nicely.

W3WN
03-29-2012, 11:09 PM
The real issue isn't interference.

It's control.

They want the "power" to determine who is allowed to use the frequency. It's as simple as that.

NA4BH
03-29-2012, 11:28 PM
I'm just glad some one had the foresight to protect the useless nets. God bless them. No one should interfere with the bullshit.

Reverend

http://images.wikia.com/planetoftheapes/images/b/bf/Gabby_Johnson.gif

VE7DCW
03-30-2012, 12:04 AM
QRZ got 9 pages on this thread before it became controversial enough to lock it down! .......it is all about control.That maritime mobile net mentality boggles the mind....... I'm wondering if they're getting pointers from Bonnie Crystal KQ6XA!! Yikes!!! :doh:

N8YX
03-30-2012, 03:05 AM
QRZ got 9 pages on this thread before it became controversial enough to lock it down! .......it is all about control. That maritime mobile net mentality boggles the mind....... I'm wondering if they're getting pointers from Bonnie Crystal KQ6XA!! Yikes!!! :doh:

The net is all about self-justification. Always has been.

N7YA
04-03-2012, 06:44 AM
Reverend

http://images.wikia.com/planetoftheapes/images/b/bf/Gabby_Johnson.gif

At least the sheriff is near!

n2ize
04-05-2012, 09:01 PM
The "emergency crap" is a load of crap. If you have an emergency call the police. That is what they are paid for. Okay, well, maybe emergency nets have their place but so does contesting, ragchewing, etc. Telling other they shouldn;t be allowed to do things screws up ham radio,

N7YA
04-06-2012, 05:24 AM
Considering what whackers pay for their EmComm gear and HT's, any HF rig they can afford will have the WARC bands on it just fine, just set up shop there. They should know by now that their little issue will never be resolved, contests are going to happen, they are only screaming out of an emotional attachment to outdated traditions and the fear of mortality. Im cool with that when keeping tradition alive is constructive and enjoyable, im not down with it when its a pathetic grab for the past. REAL emergency workers dont want a bunch of doughy nerds getting in the way, this should be respected. Quit playing fireman like kids when real lives are at stake...stay the fuck out of the way! If you can do that, and still help out, more power to you. But the PD/FD calls to local hams for EmComm help are few and very far between.

Just trying to hang on to whatever royal relevance the orange vest held at the end of the 80's, it seems. Its over, im a DXer...the original purpose of ham radio, and i dont pump myself up with delusions about being important to anyone but myself and other DX stations. When was the last time you got a real and empassioned response from the FCC to an on-air problem? Blame Obama, blame Bush, blame libs/cons/the dog...it doesnt matter. We hams dont matter!! When are we going to get that through our thick and overfilled heads? Play with radios because its fun and enriches your life with enjoyment, thats it!

When nets try to hang on to a frequency and act like they own it under the guise of "providing a service", these are people who can fuck off and eat a rapid fire dose of 5NNTU for 48 hours, i really dont care. These are not happy people, these are sociopaths who cant accept the reality of change.

n2ize
04-06-2012, 05:53 AM
These people don't get it, no matter how much you tell "authority" to tell people to stop, you are best served by getting out of the way.

It's like speeding. Billions of tickets issued, yet people still do it anyway. Don't like it, stay out of the left lane.

Speeding puts lives at risk. Ask any first responder who has had to pick up severed heads, arms, and legs from the highway. They speed because the punishment isn't tough enough. They would rather pay the ticket and continue to speed. I say, lets get tough. Adopt a 3 strikes and your off the road for good policy. One speeding ticket and you get a fine. Second offense the fine quadruples and you receive a warning that your license will be revoked on the next offence. 3rd offence ? The officer takes your license and tells you to get out of the car. A tow is called and the car is confiscated. Yoyu are now off the road for good. Walk or take the bus home.

It's a good thing I am not a leader. I would be a strict bastard !!

KC9ECI
04-06-2012, 10:39 AM
I'd like to see that implemented. In particular where drunk driving is concerned. Also for those rocket scientists that walk away from an accident 'to get help' and then don't show up anywhere for 12 hours because it's so much cheaper to take a hit for leaving the scene of an accident that for drunk driving. Meanwhile, someone had to go out and look for your sorry ass, usually when it's cold, wet, and dark.

NQ6U
04-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Emcomm has it's place—during the last two big wildfires here, hams were helpful in passing "health and welfare" traffic, reducing the load on the official channels. The state and local fire agencies thought highly enough of what hams accomplished to allocate space (although not funding) for VHF/UHF amateur radio stations in most of their stations.

That said, there's a huge difference between volunteer hams activating to make use of local repeaters during a real emergency and trying to stake a claim to 8KHz of bandwidth on the most popular DX band, an unreasonable spectrum grab that has more to do with satisfying someone's overinflated sense of self-importance than it does with emergency communications.

n2ize
04-06-2012, 01:38 PM
I'd like to see that implemented. In particular where drunk driving is concerned. Also for those rocket scientists that walk away from an accident 'to get help' and then don't show up anywhere for 12 hours because it's so much cheaper to take a hit for leaving the scene of an accident that for drunk driving. Meanwhile, someone had to go out and look for your sorry ass, usually when it's cold, wet, and dark.

^^^^ +1000000 I couldn't agree more.

N7YA
04-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Emcomm has it's place—during the last two big wildfires here, hams were helpful in passing "health and welfare" traffic, reducing the load on the official channels. The state and local fire agencies thought highly enough of what hams accomplished to allocate space (although not funding) for VHF/UHF amateur radio stations in most of their stations.

That said, there's a huge difference between volunteer hams activating to make use of local repeaters during a real emergency and trying to stake a claim to 8KHz of bandwidth on the most popular DX band, an unreasonable spectrum grab that has more to do with satisfying someone's overinflated sense of self-importance than it does with emergency communications.

Exactly! The first part covers the "helping by staying out of the way of the first responders" part...the second part is pretty much what im talking about, useless egolords trying to pretend to be something theyre not. If the net were that important, wouldnt it make sense to simply move it to a calmer spot on HF? Instead, its about standing their ground pointlessly so they can have something to uniformly complain about. This alone invalidates any argument they may have had.

Granted, i cant stand it when a big gun contester fires up the VOA transmitter site and plops down on top of an existing qso without so much as a "QRL?" and hits the CQ machine button, thus wiping out 25kc of useable frequency either side of him just for the sake of points and "winning".

All of the above (aside from the wildfire hams) makes us all look like losers, and these are just a few reasons why we are no longer relevant.

KJ3N
04-06-2012, 05:07 PM

If you need 8 KHz of bandwidth on SSB, you have shit for a receiver. I'm not putting my life in your hands.

MMSN: HF Wackerism at its worse. What a bunch of assholes..... :roll:

N7YA
04-06-2012, 05:12 PM

Thats just disgusting in general. Drunk driving kills innocent men, women and children in horrible ways. At the very least, it greatly taxes the resources of every county, city and state. Leaving the scene?? They should NEVER be allowed to drive again, period! And i believe some jailtime should be mandatory. Even the family dog knows its illegal to drink and drive, this is pounded into our heads every day, billboards, commercials, people on the street...dont drink and drive!!! Yet, people do it because they dont think, or they think they can get away with it, or they simply dont care. No matter what the reason, it drops a persons IQ down about 50 points. Hitting that semi or wall head on at 100mph drops it down completely and forever.

I have yet to see someone busted for DUI, especially after causing an accident, actually say "Thats exactly how i planned it. Im happy with these results and wouldnt do anything different next time". But, considering how many repeat offenders we have driving around out there, it wouldnt surprise me. Remember, i live in Vegas...thats a HUGE open sore for me. This place is drunk 24/7, and they all drive...poorly to begin with. Add being drunk to that? I gotta get out of here!

KC9ECI
04-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Holy shit, I think I just fingered out how to end all the anti-contest butt hurt! We need to move all contesting to the WARC bands. None of the old pharts that whine endlessly seem to have the ability to actually operate on the WARC bands so the contests shouldn't bother them there.

N7YA
04-07-2012, 04:05 AM
Then the nets wouldnt be about emergency traffic, it would just be a bunch of old, insufferable farts gloating about they ran the contesters off and calling themselves heroes.

KC9ECI
04-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Are they currently about emergency traffic or are they a bunch of old, insufferable farts pissing and moaning about how they got ran off by the contesters off and calling themselves heroes.

N7YA
04-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Ah.....i will go with that second one. :)

N2RJ
04-08-2012, 08:30 PM

That's correct. I don't mind giving up that 8kHz for actual emergency communications.

However, 99% of the MMSN and other nets that occupy 14.300 are not emergency communications. It sounds just like any of the other bazillion nets on the air except that they are on air most of the time.

W3WN
04-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Are they currently about emergency traffic or are they a bunch of old, insufferable farts pissing and moaning about how they got ran off by the contesters off and calling themselves heroes.Well, they're not actually about emergency traffic... therefore...