PDA

View Full Version : The G-66 is alive....

W1GUH
03-27-2012, 12:35 PM
And sounds good, at least the BC band. And dial calibration is pretty close -- sounds like it's ready to go. Will be using it with the '67 up in Kripplebush tomorrow!

And, ahhhh..., when hams and manufacturers were closer together. The jacks on the receiver have no markings & the book (at least the one I've got) has no diagram that labels them. Ya gotta read the text to know which is the antenna jack -- and it's the kind that car radios use. Sure glad I had a jumper that I made for the Super-12, something else I'm anxious to try in the car.

Now, to test the DC part of the PS. Wonder what the odds that the vibrator is still good? Hmmmm....is using a "vibrator" legal while driving? huh-huh

Jeff K1NSS
03-27-2012, 12:49 PM
And sounds good, at least the BC band. And dial calibration is pretty close -- sounds like it's ready to go. Will be using it with the '67 up in Kripplebush tomorrow!

And, ahhhh..., when hams and manufacturers were closer together. The jacks on the receiver have no markings & the book (at least the one I've got) has no diagram that labels them. Ya gotta read the text to know which is the antenna jack -- and it's the kind that car radios use. Sure glad I had a jumper that I made for the Super-12, something else I'm anxious to try in the car.

Now, to test the DC part of the PS. Wonder what the odds that the vibrator is still good? Hmmmm....is using a "vibrator" legal while driving? huh-huh

so fah, so FB!

w2amr
03-28-2012, 04:16 AM

Now, to test the DC part of the PS. Wonder what the odds that the vibrator is still good? Hmmmm....is using a "vibrator" legal while driving? huh-huhSounds like fun Paul.

W1GUH
03-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Sure is! Took the '66 up to Jeff's today & it sounds very good on both AM and SSB. SSB without a filter sounds so nice. Well, until someone sneaks in within the passband and become QRM! "Almost" worked a 9 out in IL, but there was a carrier on the freq., so copy was not possible. But the '67 was heard! Will be taking the whole setup up to Jeff's next week.

Jeff K1NSS
03-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Wednesday was Gonset Receiver Day at K1NSS Boat Anchor Air Corps HQ

That was yesterday.

Today we're bolting some cherry China Clipper pontoons (discovered last weekend at a Boeing yard sale) onto a modded Super Skyrider, just one of our growing squadron of flying boatanchor iron. Metric ton by metric ton, we're getting close to take-off.

Dash! The Dog-Faced Ham's Militarily/Industrially Not-So-Complex-Yet-Identically-English Cousin Col. M. Night "The Royal Ascot" Spanmaster is now in charge, wholly dependent on lovably irascible, solder gun slingin', long haired, blunt-smoking hippy W1 "The Chief" GUH to keep 'em flying.

As BACC Air Viceroy, Col. Spanmaster has more strategic matters to which he simply must attend, primarily his wardrobe. To that end, Spanmaster executed his first command decision, bringing on board the recently decomissioned designer of Col Muammar Muhammad Abu Minyar al-Gaddafi's uniforms to freshen-up his own already flashy duds, and to become curator Spanmaster's important collection of Cartier swagger sticks, Dunhill cigarette holders and equestrian/amateur radio themed Hames silk neckware.

Official portraits of the players will be issued soon, in additon to a full color program and details how you can enlist.

Until then, we offer this look at yesterday's activities at Hangar D!, BAAC Ground Support HQ.

NQ6U
03-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Boat Anchor Air Corps? Man, some of them old radios would need eight P&W R-4360s just to get 'em Rollin' down the runway.

Jeff K1NSS
03-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Boat Anchor Air Corps? Man, some of them old radios would need eight P&W R-4360s just to get 'em Rollin' down the runway.

Ha!

We're all about Heavy Lifting, Col. Spanmaster not withstanding

I was actually wondering what powered the Spruce Goose and hadn't got around to looking it up...tnx Carl!
http://youtu.be/LTHHfmnObWo

Jeeze, what a beautifuil thing, the "Corncob" really does look more like it was more grown than built. A little reverse engineered Alien prop technology?

http://thekneeslider.com/images/2009/03/r4360.jpg

Might have to up the HP to 5000 for some of these birds...perhaps one of the only two ever built of these Lycomings might turn up at our local surplus store.
http://www.nasm.si.edu/collections/artifact.cfm?id=A19781379000

kb2vxa
03-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Dayum, that thing looks like it needs a couple of RATTYO packs!