PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Word Tip - Remove Hyperlinks for entire document

N1LAF
03-24-2012, 08:22 PM
[CTRL][A] to select all text/objects

then

[CTRL][Shift][F9]

Got this tip from:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16346/how-to-remove-hyperlinks-from-microsoft-word-documents/

W4GPL
03-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Wow! Now I'll commit that very obscure tidbit to memory so I never have to easily Google for it. Thanks Paul!

NQ6U
03-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Does anyone still use Word? I kind of thought it had been replaced by PDF documents.

N1LAF
03-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Does anyone still use Word? I kind of thought it had been replaced by PDF documents.

Sometimes WORD is used to create PDF documents

N2RJ
03-25-2012, 01:45 PM
[CTRL][A] to select all text/objects

then

[CTRL][Shift][F9]

Got this tip from:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16346/how-to-remove-hyperlinks-from-microsoft-word-documents/

Nice tip! I believe you can substitute Command for Ctrl on Mac OS, FWIW.

I really hated when they made hyperlinks the default.

N2RJ
03-25-2012, 01:45 PM

Acrobat is not a word processor.

NQ6U
03-25-2012, 02:00 PM
I don't bother with Acrobat—PDF is the default display format on OS X so I skip the middleman and just save all my text documents directly to PDF.

In any event, Word really sucks; when I worked at a service bureau, we had a "Word Disclaimer" form we made anyone who brought us a .DOC file for output sign. It essentially said that we were not responsible for any differences in format in the printed document from how it printed on the user's own printer. We were forced to do it after getting burned a number of times due to Word's tendency to change the formatting depending on the printer driver.

N1LAF
03-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Microsoft will now quickly fade in importance with their latest direction.

Now, if we had a word processor that uses PDF as default file format, meaning, a word processor that reads in PDF, allows editing like a word processor, and saves as PDF, that is the way to go.

I am looking for, and trying to learn simultaneously in VB, to auto edit a document. I want to be able to delete stuff like "[3]" in superscript, a macro that will delete all bracketized numbers in superscript, and yes, Jeff, I used Google to no solution. Suggestions?

kf0rt
03-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Love to respond to this, but it's springtime in the Rockies and Comcast is playing by suckage rules. Yeah, let's move everything to the "cloud."

kf0rt
03-25-2012, 06:52 PM
PDF is a documenting display format; nobody edits in PDF.

That said, Word has become the pinnacle of bloatware. It was okay 10 years ago. Today, it serves to enhance bullshit standards and programmer salaries.

Wanna get into the philosophy of software, Paul?

NQ6U
03-25-2012, 06:54 PM
PDF is a documenting display format; nobody edits in PDF.

I work directly in PDF—I'm even editing this post in PDF. All Mac OS X users do because PDF is the default display format.

N1LAF
03-25-2012, 08:06 PM

I am more hardware, but go ahead, I am listening

kf0rt
03-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Well, if you're posting here, it's likely a combination of HTML and PHP. (I think vBullitin is written in PHP; could be wrong). Guaranteed, you're not posting or editing PDF files, though. Same would be true if you're running Linux. Or Windows, or... Welcome to the world of software portability where things are equally FUBAR on every OS. ;)

The host software is driving the bus in this case and the OS is just browser stuff.

kf0rt
03-25-2012, 08:26 PM
I am more hardware, but go ahead, I am listening

Get back to you as soon as my Comcast connection decides to behave. Close to "dead" here tonight.

W5GA
03-25-2012, 08:26 PM
Isn't that to relieve your wallet, as often as possible?

NQ6U
03-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Well, if you're posting here, it's likely a combination of HTML and PHP. (I think vBullitin is written in PHP; could be wrong). Guaranteed, you're not posting or editing PDF files, though. Same would be true if you're running Linux. Or Windows, or... Welcome to the world of software portability where things are equally FUBAR on every OS. ;)

The host software is driving the bus in this case and the OS is just browser stuff.

I'm just having some fun with this thing, but it's true that, on this end, everything I see on my screen is actually Display PDF including what I see as I type.

kf0rt
03-26-2012, 07:15 AM
Isn't that to relieve your wallet, as often as possible?

Actually, I meant to say bloatware, but you're right.

Products like Word could have rightfully been classified as mature many years ago. But, because of the cash-cowness, they keep a staff on hand to continually "improve" it, often to the point where it's actually less useful to most users. The nature of the beast... The software provides a good income for the company and they use the income to do more of the same software.

Breaking the cycle would require some truly innovative thinking. Fishing poles and beer would be a good place to start. ;)

kf0rt
03-26-2012, 07:16 AM
I work directly in PDF—I'm even editing this post in PDF. All Mac OS X users do because PDF is the default display format.

Was actually unaware of that. :shock:

KC2UGV
03-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Meh, I prefer letting my output processor decide how to format the page, and just concern myself with the content.

Docbook FTW.

n2ize
03-26-2012, 08:54 AM
I use LaTeX.

http://www.latex-project.org/

WØTKX
03-26-2012, 08:59 AM
^^^ Kinky!

Here'a a tip. Get rid of MS Word (Office) and install Open Office. Seriously, I've come to prefer it. And I am a long time Word user, including the old DOS version...

Word vs WordPerfect anybody?

:lol:

N1LAF
03-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Products like Word could have rightfully been classified as mature many years ago. But, because of the cash-cowness, they keep a staff on hand to continually "improve" it, often to the point where it's actually less useful to most users. The nature of the beast... The software provides a good income for the company and they use the income to do more of the same software.

Did you see the Windows 8 beta post? Three extra steps to get to the same screen of Windows 7

N2RJ
04-04-2012, 01:45 PM
I use Word for Mac, works tons better than the Windows version.

Imagine that, even microsoft products work better on Mac.

n2ize
04-04-2012, 02:17 PM
I use Word for Mac, works tons better than the Windows version.

Imagine that, even microsoft products work better on Mac.

Not surprising.